선물 [The Present]

나의 사랑스러운 스토커 [My Lovely Stalker]

 

화장실이 아주 급한다고 교수님께 거짓말하고 화장실에 달려갔다. 다른 학생이 들어오지 못하게 문을 꽉 닫고 잠갔다. 혼자 있고 싶었다. 다시 한번 혼자 있는 걸 확인한 다음에 주머니에 경수가 준 작은 박스를 꺼냈다. 무엇일까 상상해 보았다. 이렇게 조그마한 박스에 들어갈 수 있는 것이 많지가 않았다. 새 차, 자전거, 컴푸터, 휴대폰, 옷이나 신발이 아닌 것을 확실했다. 보석인 것이 가능성이 높았다. 멋진 목걸이일 수도 있었다. 기대가 많아서 심장이 펑펑 뛰었다.

숨을 멈추고 박스를 아주 천천히 열어 보았다. 작은 반지가 들어가 있었다. 디자인이 간단하기는 했지만 고급스럽게 보였다. 잠깐 동안 그냥 가만히 반지를 보고 있었다. 완전 당황스러웠다. 무슨 뜻인지 고민하고 있었다. 반지를 꺼내다가 작은 종이를 볼 수 있었다.

'지금부터 내꺼'

“어!” 나도 모르게 소리를 쳤다. 커플링이었다. 근데 왜 하나만 있었는가? 커플링. 그럼 경수가 나랑 사귀고 싶은 뜻이었나 보다. 어떡하지? 너무 빨랐다. 준비가 안 되었다.

잘 오울릴 건지 궁금해서 반지를 끼어 보았다. 진짜 예뻤다. 그래도 너무 빨랐다. 거절이 맞는 것 같았다. 거절하기로 했다. 반지를 벗으려고 했는데 못 벗었다. 손가락에 낀 반지를 뱅뱅 돌렸는데 안 빠졌다. 심장이 뛰기 시작했다. 정말 안 빠졌다. 큰일 났다. 도움이 필요했다. 수호한테 가 봐야겠다고 생각했다.

손가락에 낀 반지를 소매로 감추려고 했지만 소매가 짧아서 못했다. 화장실에 나가는 순간에 벨이 울렸다. 하필 그때 경수가 교실에 나왔다. 손 가릴 수 있기 전에 그의 눈길을 끌었다. 그는 엄청 큰 미소를 지었다. 그렇게 큰 미소를 처음 보았다. 아주 행복해 보였다. 웃으면서 그가 자기 손을 올리며 활발하게 끄떡이었다. 그의 손가락에 똑같은 반지를 끼고 있었다. 이제 피할 수 없었다. 뜻하지 않게 경수랑 사귀여 버렸다.

경수는 나를 잡아당기더니 내 귀에 대고 속삭이었다.

“어제부터 일일이야!”

 

 

Translation

 

I lied to the teacher that I was in dire need of the toilet and ran to the bathroom. I closed the door carefully and locked it to make sure no other students could enter. I wanted to be alone. I double checked whether I was really alone, and then took the little box Kyungsoo gave me out of my pocket. I tried to imagine what could be in there. There weren't that many things that could fit into such a small box. I was pretty sure it was not a new car, nor a bike, computer, smartphone, clothes or shoes. It was highly likely that it was jewelry. It could be a cool necklace. My heart pounded with anticipation.

I held my breath and opened the box really slowly. There was a small ring inside. It was a simple design, but it looked classy. For a little while I just stood still, staring at the ring. I was so confused. I debated with myself what meaning it could have. As I took the ring out of the box, I could see a small note.

'From now on, you're mine.'

“Oh!” I exclaimed without meaning to. It was a couple ring. But why was there just one? Couple ring. So it probably meant that Kyungsoo wanted to make it official and be my boyfriend. What to do? It was all moving too fast. I wasn't ready.

I was curious how it would suit me, so I tried the ring on. It was really pretty. Still, it was moving too fast. Rejecting him seemed like the right thing to do. I decided to say no. I was going to take the ring off, but it refused to budge. I turned the ring round and round on my finger, but it wouldn't come off. My heart started pounding. It was really not coming off. This was a disaster. I needed help. I needed to find Suho, I thought.

I was going to hide the ring on my finger with the sleeve of my shirt, but it was too short, so I couldn't. The moment I exited the bathroom, the bell rang. Just then, of all times, Kyungsoo exited the classroom. Before I could hide my hand, it caught his attention. His face turned into the biggest smile. It was the first time I had seen such a big smile. He looked really happy. Grinning widely, he raised his own hand and nodded brightly. He was wearing the exact same ring on his finger. Now there was no avoiding it. I had accidentally become Kyungsoo's boyfriend.

Kyungsoo pulled me in close and whispered into my ear.

“Yesterday was our 'Day 1'.”*

 

 

 

*Koreans generally count the days of their relationship, celebrating the 100th day mark and so forth ^^ So marking the first day you started dating is really important.