Happy Together

Another Year...

Gwen's POV

"...Tell me something personal," Alistair smiles after another quiet moment. "Something, no one else knows."

I give him a side-eye so stank, we both bust out and laugh. We're sitting on the steps within the Astronomy Tower high above everything, talking freely and enjoying the most beautiful sunset I've ever seen. "What made you ask me that?"

He shrugs before knocking into me. "Come on, it could be fun."

"How is me bearing my soul, fun?" I dramaticize, and he rolls his eyes and sighs.  "Besides, what could you possibly want to know?"

"Many things," he adds easily. "I mean, we've been hanging out for a while now."

"Yeah."

"Yeah," he says sounding just like me. "And all I really know is that you're even smarter than you had me to believe. And I honestly didn't think that was even possible."

"I'm no smarter than anyone else, I just pay attention" I smirk, before turning to look directly at him. "Little things are important. It's what make-up our surroundings. Whether it's magic, or the people around us..."

My body sends these signals to my brain when I know I'm becoming too caught up into him. Like now, my face is growing hot. Thank God for my coloring, otherwise he'd know it too.

I look down, and he shifts in his spot clearing his throat. "But-uh...that still doesn't tell me much about you," he frowns. "Besides, it would mean more if you shared it with me instead of sneaking around and asking about you."

"You mean more than you already do?" I hedge fighting another smile. 

His eyebrows raise and he opens his mouth, pointing a finger to attempt an explanation but then he expels a gust of air unable to answer and I laugh even more. He looks at me, beaming. His cheeks spread wide, pulling apart his perfect lips to reveal the sweetest grin. "...How much do you know?" He asks softly and a bit shyly. 

I shrug. "Enough to know that Quidditch isn't your only reason for your aversion to, Davey Addison."

"The kid's a foul-git in class and a snake on the pitch," Alistair grumbles irritated, and I cover my mouth trying to stifle a laugh. "Not to mention, he's got the advantage of being in the same house as you-

"So?"

"So!" He repeats excitedly, before giving me a small smile. "What if you end up wanting a better study partner..so, yeah...I don't like him."

"...I don't either," I add with a slight shrug, and he looks at me entirely shocked.

"Honestly?"

I nod reassuringly, before smiling even more at how silly he's behaving. "Believe it or not, it does make a difference."

"But, I thought...I mean, he's-" he begins, but then it fades into a sigh. "...You two would make sense."

"Davey Addison? Nah," I wrinkle my nose and shake my head. "He's too into himself to notice whether or not I'd be there. Not to mention, he's a bit of a brick to talk too. He definitely plays into the charmingly manipulative arch-type. And from what I've overheard him discuss amongst his friends, I just haven't found anything interesting behind his thoughts."

"Is that why you like talking to me?" Alistair smirks somehow already knowing the answer, and I inhale deep before slowly letting it out. 

"I didn't say that," I reply, pursing my lips fighting off a smile and he grins even bigger. 

"You didn't have too...It's clear as day that you do." His nose flares clearly flattered and he adjusts his posture to seem cool, and I smile knocking into him and he nudges me back just as playful. 

My inner pendulum gravitates my body back into his, slowing my momentum until I'm perfectly halted in front of his face. The seconds tick onward with me remembering to breathe, but somehow forgetting it all at the same time because I'm confronted with how genuinely beautiful he is.

The wonderfully sharp angles to his face, forcing his cheeks down into the desired "V". The subtle bump on his nose, that secretly reminding me to the fact that he isn't as perfect as I make him out to be. The uncommon fullness to his lips; lips that I've made fun of countless times comparing them to an allergic reaction from a bee sting, rather than admit all of the times I've imagined myself attatched to them.

Not to go all Game of Thrones, but I could easily refer to him as my 'Moon and Stars'. Especially with his  Harvest-Moon yellow skin, and the darkness of his almost black eyes making me feel like I could drown within their depths before seeing my image refracted inside them.

My gaze drops down watching his Adam's-Apple bob slowly, and his mouth parts allowing me to feel the warmth of his breath as it escapes. I feel myself frown in frustration realizing how badly I want him to kiss me, but when I find enough courage to look into his eyes; he mirrors the same expression before swallowing even harder. 

We breathe more quickly, practically scowling at each other until I find a small window of clarity and break the unbearable tension between us. I end up laughing obnoxiously and awkwardly, snapping the both of us back to reality and his face hardens leaning away from me. 

"Ha-hah," I finish, adding in some finger guns before turning my head and mouthing "WTF" out of his sight. "You-uh...ready to go-go?" 

"Wait," he exhales, placing his hand around the front of my calf so I can't get up easily. "...You fancy me, don't-chu?"

"...What?" I clear my throat buying me more time, in order to recover from the adorably y way his British accent formed that question. 

"You're...into me? Aren't you?" He questions hesitantly, and I feel my frown harden. He sighs heavily before starting to explain. "I'm only asking because, you've never said so and I think I have the right to know."

"Exactly how do you even begin to come to that conclusion?"

"We spend a lot of time together."

"We're in the same classes. It makes sense that we do our homework together," I recite, answering his question just like I do with anyone else who's openly made that observation. "We're actually perfect for each other," I admit before realizing I've said too much. "FOR! STUDYING!" I blurt, before taking in a deep breath and starting again. "What I mean is, we balance each other's subjects extremely well. We fulfill each other's shortcomings, academically."

He stares at me a long time, allowing his eyes to transform into slits no doubt scrutinizing every word that I've said. "So...other than our academic relationship, you've formed no other opinions regarding what I mean to you as an individual?"

My mouth opens wide, searching for a loophole. And when I find none, I go with the only option left to me. Lying. 

"Not really, no."

His eyes widen, and he remains quiet for what feels like forever waiting for me to redeem myself and I literally don't knowing in my heart I'm making a huge mistake. He nods to himself letting me go to stand up and go, and I call out to him knowing my voice will stop him. 

"What, Gwen?" He answers curtly, alerting me even further that his feelings are hurt. 

I clench my teeth tightly, cursing myself internally and then preparing myself mentally in case I have to admit something important. "What do you want me to say?"

"Honestly?"

"Yeah?" I wince afraid he'll want me to confess how I feel.

"I want you to tell me how you feel," he almost begs standing up to face me, and I scrunch my nose cursing myself again. "I want you to tell me how I make you feel. And that I'm not crazy for thinking that you give a damn about what happens to me."

"Oh, please!" I roll my eyes, playing into his dramatization. "You know better than anyone that I care a lot about you."

"Okay, then. Why," he challenges. "Why do you care so much about me?"

"Because..." I hiss and he raises his eyebrows, as my eyes beg him not to press me further. "I just do."

"But how do I know that if you won't tell me," he taunts. "And to make it even more clear, I want you to explain to me in what way or ways do you care about me."

"You're utterly ridiculous."

"No. I'm confused and frustrated. And I can't take much more of this back and forth," he expels. "You know how I feel. I've been as blatantly honest as I know how to be so that there's no mistaking what I want, out of everything that's happened between us you've never answered" he complains. "I mean...what is this? What do you even call what is potentially happening between us?"

"We're...Friendsssss," I reply elongating the word as much as possible to fit in everything I'm afraid to say. And when the words come out, I know I can say them again truthfully. I can admit that much without totally gushing all of my feels for him. 

"Friends," he repeats flatly and I nod encouragingly. 

"Yes, we've become really good friends," I reaffirm, holding onto that piece of truth as tightly as I can.

"Friends, don't almost kiss" he states and my lips purse automatically. "This isn't the first time our signals have mixed, and the way we look at each other makes me feel like you wanted me too. So...which is it? Am I reading it wrong? Or-Where are you going?"

"I'll-uh...see you around Fred," I say standing up from my spot and flex my fingers in a clutch motion, so that my bag will begin gathering itself up from the floor. 

"Can't we talk about this?" He pleads, stepping in front of me. "Don't you want to figure this out?"

I feel my eyes size him up until I meet the powerful stare of his gaze. He's so open, honest and sincere allowing his emotions to practically pour into me... 

"There's...nothing," I half choke. "To figure out," I finish and a fresh wave of hurt hits his eyes immediately. The worst part of all is how the rejections seeps and burries into his dark brown irises, making me want to slam myself into a wall for causing him pain. "We're friends..."

"...Friends."

I nod feeling my eyes swell with regret. "Friends," I smile bitterly. "So, I'll see you in the Great Hall after dinner and Quidditch practice? How's your essay coming for Herbology? I'm still helping you, right?"

Salt. In. The. Mother-ing. Wound.

"If you want..." he answers pitifully. And not because he's a blithering mess in front of me, but because I know how hard he struggles to put on a brave face whenever he's going through something hard. And now, I'm the something hard. And the last thing I ever wanted to do was make him miserable.

I nod once more, rushing out of the Astronomy Tower as quickly as possible and I don't feel safe until I'm racing down the steps of the Slytherin secret passage way that leads to the common room. I head straight for my dormitory and plop onto my bed, burrying my face into my pillow before releasing a high-pitched scream of frustration. I turn my head and glance at the thick stone walls of the room half wishing they would somehow seal me inside so I wouldn't have to go back and face him. But I know when the time comes, I'll be able to act indifferent. In fact, I'm counting on that same stubborness to carry me through this.

I was the one who had made the choice not to become involved with him-well...any more involved with him than I had already become. But the point is, I had made a decision. And however painfully regretful I felt, I knew I wouldn't change my mind without something drastic.

I would do my absolute best to hide how much he meant to me. 

When we meet in the Great Hall after dinner a few hours later, things are no better. 

I frown hard tapping the point of my pen repeatedly on the corner of my notebook, mindlessly creating a design while mentally reviewing a list of standardized potions that are more than likely going to be on our next exam, in a repetitive process of failed attempts to stop thinking about Alistair. But it's not working.

Even the light scent of his sweat from his team's Quidditch practice, mixed in with the wonderfully subtle undertones of his cologne swirl around my nose with every gentle stir of his hand when he goes to touch his hair.

Alistair's hand darts out to cover mine, and my body tenses feeling the sudden swoosh in my stomach due to the contact. He looks up from his book with a half-smile. "Sorry...but you were driving me nuts with that."

"I can't help it," I whine, dropping the pen to slip my fingers free. "I don't know what he's going to ask. I have to make sure I know it all."

"You're going to do fine, you always do," he reassures me sweetly, and I feel my nerves relax affected by his words. 

"...Even so," I answer a little quieter, before noticing that he's still re-reading the same page he was on a half-hour ago. "How's your essay coming along?"

He winces before shrugging it off. "It's..." he trails and my face changes causing him to grin playfully. "Okay, so I'm struggling."

I close my book immediately in order to take his, and he chuckles disinterested letting me have it. "Which part?"

"Honestly?" He asks sounding different.

"Yeah," I expel already becoming irritated that he's so far behind. He's supposedly been working on this for weeks. "And where is your copy of One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi?" I snip beginning to flip through his textbook. "I know it's first-year reading level, however it's just as useful as-" I trail because of the way he's looking at me. My eyes narrow fiercely trying to appear menacing. "...Focus."

"I don't think I can concentrate on you any harder than I already am," he teases, and I feel my nose flare and my lips purse as tight and possible fighting to show him just how flattered I am. "That's what I'm trying to tell you."

"I meant, the assignment" I snarl through discomfort, and he sends me an eye roll and smirk worthy of Marlon Brando finding himself and my reaction funny.

"It's not nearly as interesting," he flirts, allowing his foot to brush the inside of my leg beneath the table we're sharing. I rise half and inch, giving him the fiercest look possible and he chuckles before readjusting his position. "I'm, sorry," he adds sounding anything but.

"If I'm becoming too much of a distraction, then maybe we shouldn't continue to study together," I frown a bit defensively. "With our N.E.W.Ts coming up, neither one of us can really afford to fool around."

"I was just messing with you. You know, having a laugh?" He groans straightening himself up even more. "Do you always take everything so seriously? Do you ever just relax? Or are you always so..."

"Always so, what?" I hedge, daring him to finish his thought. 

"Always so...stiff," he replies wrinkling his nose. "In all the time I've known you, you're always so calculated and precise. When's the last time you lived a bit recklessly, and let the opinions of other people be damned?"

I wait half a second before sniding a response. "I'd rather be synonymous with precision, than have my thoughts and actions fueled by egregiously careless impulses."

"Oh my goodness!" He laughs bitter and frustrated. "Do you even hear yourself when you talk? You're turning seventeen, not seventy. Who honestly uses words like egregious in everyday conversations?"

"Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure," I recite but that just seems to make him even more excited.

"Again with the quotes! Everything you say is like some elitist fortune cookie," he scoffs. "Just once, I wish you'd be courageous enough to let loose and have fun, rather than constantly hide behind your fancy words and textbooks."

"Who says I'm hiding behind anything?" I demand, feeling my head a little to accent the phrase.

He gives me a knowing look before taking a deep breath and letting it out extremely slow. "You know what? Fine. Forget I said anything." He begins packing up his things, and my stare turns colder attempting to hide the fact that I don't want him to go. But my pride won't allow me to say anything, so I just watch him angrily instead as he rises up from the table. "See ya around," he grumbles. 

And because I can't let him have the last word I mutter, "Maybe..." I shrug indifferently. "Maybe, not."

He looks down at me, before smirking coolly and walking off to exit the Great Hall. As soon as he's gone, I release a short shriek of frustration before returning to my list of potions. 

"That's it?" An unimpressed voice floats in from behind me. "You're just going to let him walk off like that?"

"What do you want Morgan?" I ask dryly as he slides in to sit beside me on the bench. 

"For you to tell him how you feel," he answers easily, and I roll my eyes tucking away the thoughts I want to keep private in the deepest parts of my mind.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I say running my eyes down my list, as if I'm really paying attention. 

"Oh come on," he exaggerates shaking his head with a wide smile. "I don't need Legilimency to deduce how much you like him. It's as plain as day. Even he can tell."

"You're ridiculous to even think-"

"Yeah, I just forgot something!" Alistair grins rushing back into the Great Hall and over to the spot across from me where he was sitting. "Morgan," he nods.

"Bruv," Morgan smirks turning his head to look at me slowly. And it's no wonder why. Alistair and I are having some sort of angst-filled, silent exchange. 

"...Collins," he says after a beat or two.

"A-Flight."

"A-A what?" He repeats and I an eyebrow, seeing as how Morgan is already stifling a laugh. 

"A. FLIGHT" I emphasize. "As in, A-FLIGHT-A-STAIR," I finish making a face at the end.

He stares at me a moment as if he almost wants to laugh, but he shakes his head walking out of the Great Hall. I sit there with a pout, staring after him and Morgan sighs reminding me that he's still present. 

"Stop being stupid and go after him."

"And say what?" I criticize.

"That you like him, but don't want to get attached because you're afraid of what people will say. Not to mention, the odds of you two staying together after the term ends-"

"You couldn't possibly know any of that" I deny unaffectively, somehow becoming even more irritated with every little thing.

"But I do. Even without you doing Occlumency to keep me out of your head. As soon as he came over, you let your guard down long enough to let me see."

My glare hardens even further at the invasion, and he nods only somewhat apologetic. "You know it's not polite to invade someone else's mind."

"Which is why I won't confirm his suspicions regarding your feelings for him. Even if he is my best mate, that wouldn't be right."

"Well, thank you for not violating my right," I snark as sarcastically as possible, and he makes a face at me. 

"It still doesn't mean I'm letting it go," he clarifies. "You need to tell him before someone else makes a move."

"I'm not telling him !" I say a bit too loudly, before shushing myself back down. "...I'm not telling him !" I whisper, and he exhales hard.

"You're too smart to believe a guy like him is going to stay single for long."

"You make it seem like I'm keeping him on reserves or something," I huff already annoyed. "Alistair is perfectly capable of being with whoever else he chooses."

"You and I both know you don't want him with anyone else."

"He'd be happier-"

"He's happiest with you," Morgan admits and I feel my chest fissure at the news. "Look...Al's dated a lot of girls..."

My lips purse tightly, not liking that new piece of information. 

"But I've never seen him light up, the way he does with you."

"...Why are you telling me this?" I whine, feeling my eyes brim once more. "You claim to know how I feel, right?"

"Yeah."

"So you know how hard it is for me," I smile weakly. "And how bad I'm failing at not falling for him. What it would mean for him if we started dating."

"It wouldn't be as bad as you think."

"You're right. It'd be worse. Heidi and the rest of your group would drag us over the coals, just for the laughs alone" I retort just as confident. "I don't want that for him. And yeah, I'm worried about what would happen to us after term. But we'd still have to get through the term...I'm not worth the trouble."

"He, believes you are."

I look at him before giving him a defeated smile. "You're impossible, you know that?" I sniffle, refusing to cry. 

He raises his eyebrows hopefully and I sigh refusing to promise anything. "Just think it over, yeah?"

"Goodbye, Morgan," I smirk collecting my things to leave.

"Later," he adds lazily, getting up to leave the table.

I take my books and pack them away before leaving the table to exit the Great Hall and just like I've teased, Alistair and his friends are posted along the wall of the entrance-hall. Heidi all up in his face as usual, blocking the path making it difficult to manuver around them in order to get by and I somehow end up becoming a part of their conversation.

"Oi! Collins!"

I roll my eyes attempting once more to get through, but Rosalind and Tanya block my path. "Let me through."

"Easy, Collins" Heidi says stepping away from Alistair. "I come in peace."

"Your friends will be limping away in pieces, if they don't move," I answer earning a few jeers.

"You see, Ally-Babe? This is why I'm never nice," she motions toward Alistair. "It's just so unappreciated."

"What are you up too, Heidi?" He questions, allowing his tone to drain of all humor.

"Nothing, just...trying to initiate a chance to become better acquainted with our American-friend."

"Not even two months ago, I was a Mud-Blood American . Remind me again, how we became friends?" I sass.

"By me giving you the invite you've always wanted..."

She extends the sealed golden envelop to me and I release a short laugh refusing to take it. "You're out of your mind if you think I'd fall for that."

"Normally you'd be right, Collins. However it seems that I've been out-voted," she exhales dramatically. "Thanks to Alistair and Morgan, their popularity has miraculously elevated yours. And with a heavy heart and blatant protest, I wish to inform you that you've somehow gained enough coolness factor to make the cut."

"Gee. Thanks," I mock, feigning gratitude. "My entire life's purpose is now fulfilled...I now can go off myself, just like you all have been begging me to since the first day of classes."

"See?" Rosalind grumbles. "I told you she wouldn't be up for it...Some goody-goody like her wasn't gonna be caught dead after hours-"

"It's only punishable if you get caught," one of the fifth year boys smirks, brandishing his own identical envelope. "And if you follow the instructions, you won't."

"Just, drop it" Alistair growls, stepping up in the conversation. "It's stupid."

"On the contrary, it's the chance of a lifetime. A real opportunity to participate in a Hogwart's tradition, and gain a new cultural perspective," Heidi smiles reverently, until she notices Alistair and I sharing another silent exchange, and she interrupts it. "Then again, you know, he's right...It's not really her thing. And it's like Al always says, she's too stiff to have fun."

My eyes flutter at her phrasing before I start smiling, brushing past those in front of me in order to leave. 

"I guess, that would be a no?" Heidi taunts and my hand whips out to summon the envelope from her hand. 

It zooms out of her fingertips and into mine and I make my way to the dungeons. "Gwen, wait!"

"What, Al?" I answer, turning smoothly to face him. 

"...You called me, Al."

"Yeah. So?" I shrug, and his face falls even more.

"So," he begins, staring deep into my eyes. "You never call me Al. Usually it's Fred, or some other quick-witted nickname...Never, Al-"

"What do you want?" I practically snap, and he takes in a deep breath, preparing to bear his soul and I shake my head breaking the intensity of the moment. "...I'll see you around."

"What I said about you being stiff-"

"I'll get over it," I sigh, shrugging it off with a forced smile. "I've got more important things to worry about than whatever you and your stupid friends have to say."

"But-"

"Goodbye, Alistair" I reply harshly, spinning on my heels to head for the Slytherin common room. As soon as I'm inside, my eyes begin searching for his figure and as usual he's perched in a windowsill regailing his latest victory on the Quidditch pitch. "Excuse me, Davey?"

He looks at me cautiously, before leaning in with a handsome smile in order to work his charm. "I usually take any and all questions at the end, love."

I close my eyes and swallow the bile building up in the back of my throat due to his arrogance, but seeing as how I need his help I need to play it right. 

"I know, but this can't wait" I smile a little, trying to appear infatuated. "And...you're the best looking person to help me out...so...will you?"

He smirks clearly flattered, before flicking his hands to wisp away his circle of admirers and they leave with grumbles and death-stares aimed at me. I bite my lips stopping the urge to say that his performance is as scheduled as an attraction at Disney World, but I don't preparing to  coax out the information I need. 

"What's on your mind?" He asks smoothly and I sigh showing him the golden envelope, and he smirks impressed. "Let me guess, you want us to go together?"

I give a small chuckle, internally cringing. "If only I should be so lucky," I flirt and he beams at the subtle . "But, I was actually wondering if you could explain the rules to me."

"I take it you didn't read your letter yet?" He hedges and I shake my head. "I mean, usually we aren't allowed to discuss it with others...It...helps protect the secrecy."

"So I've heard, which is why I figured it'd be safe to talk to you," I explain. "I mean, this invitation is only given to the social elite within the school...Who better to ask?"

"You can quit my ego, Collins. I'm already talking with you," he smirks knowingly, and I smile playfully. "...What is it you want to know?"

"The rules," I sigh. 

"The rules are simple. Don't get caught."

"And that's it?"

"Well, part of it. You see, this party isn't like your average get-together. You were right when you said it was for the social-elite; this party is highly exclusive and involves approval from The Council in order to recieve an invitation" he explains a little quieter. "Social standing is one part, academia is the other."

"I'm not following."

He rolls his eyes and sighs before motioning with his eyes for me to open my envelope. "Inside every invitation is a set of instructions for every new intiate."

"Initiate?"

"This is your first invite, yes? You'll be considered a pledge," he adds. "Usually we get them our fifth or sixth year, but seeing as how you're new to Hogwarts you got it as a seventh...A bit late in the year though...But, oh well. You made it" he smiles encouragingly. 

I frown reading the letter. "It's instructing me to jinx myself"

"And you'll recieve the antidote or counter-jinx at the party," he states, unimpressed. "And it looks as if you'll be wearing the crowd-favorite Pimple-Jinx, until the night of if you're planning on attending."

"That's two weeks from tomorrow."

"I swear, you'd think The Council would develop something truly remarkable in the time they've had to prepare, but if it makes you feel any better. They only assign that Jinx to the prettiest amongst the pledges."

"And the whole point of this is to, what? Make an utter fool of myself?"

"Yeah," he grins finding my reaction funny. "It's supposed to prove that you're cool enough to laugh at yourself, by having others laugh at you."

"That's such an idiotic waste of time."

"You don't have to do it, Gwen" he offers. "You can say no...You're not really missing much if you decide not to go through with it...It's only the last worthwhile party of your school years. One that's sure to give you memories to carry you through the rest of your miserably safe existence."

He smiles at me, egging me on even further and I roll my eyes agreeing to see this through. 

Early the next morning, I'm in Professor Slughorn's Office on the sixth floor taking down the necessary observations of my final project.

"What's happening with your potion, Ms. Collins?" 

I frown refering to my notes and textbook, before glaring at the contents within my cauldron. "I'm not sure Professor...It isn't jumping or even sloshing around in comparison to the description," I sigh, carefully peering over it even further. "The color seems to be approaching the right shade, but I'm still not entirely confident I've done it successfully." 

"My dear, you've done beautifully. He's right on schedule," he praises, scrunching up his face while examining my potion. "Another week or so," he appraises, as a few bubbles begin to form and and melt within itself. "Look? See. There...Right on schedule. You just have to be patient."

"Something I've never been good at," I grumble. 

"It truly is a virtue, Ms. Collins. And just like with anything else of value, it takes time and hard work to develop," he muses, as I nod backing away from my project. 

"Thank you again for helping me Professor."

"As your teacher, it is my duty to ensure that your education be given the best possible environment to survive. And a potion of this complexity required a safer workspace than the Potions classroom..." he explains. "Now...How are things in regards with your fellow classmates?"

I look at him blankly, debating on how much I should reveal if anything. "...I'm not sure I quite understand, Professor."

"Do you?"

"Forgive me, Professor," I begin, sounding innocent yet accusatory at the same time. "But how am I to know what you wish to discuss, if you don't tell me?" 

He squints his eyes, quietly searching my expression for a sign of vulnerability or guilt. I blink slowly refusing to admit anything, and he claps his hands together before chuckling in glee. "Oh, Ms. Collins. To have had you as a pupil from the beginning," he sighs wistfully. "Alas...I know this year hasn't been an easy one. With your studies, and the social rejection from your peers."

"Not to mention the total lack of privacy due to the fact that the faculty instated at Hogwarts, seem to be even bigger gossips than it's student body," I sass, no doubt throwing shade to Professor Burton.

"Ms. Collins," he snips, reminding me of his authority. "It is through those same lines of communication, I have been informed that you have been invited to participate in a gathering occurring after hours..."

I remain quiet, trying my hardest to think of something to say but drawing a blank. 

"Now, as your Head of House," he begins strictly. "I must press upon you, the severity of your actions if you are caught participating in such an event."

I purse my lips refusing to add anything towards this conversation. 

"And seeing as how your invitation was extended from a Council of Students-Who-Despise, and regretfully have attempted and succeeded in embarrassing you multiple times within the year..." he warns allowing his voice to change. "You'd be wise to avoid this tradition altogether." 

I feel my expression change, hearing his warning. He doesn't sound like a teacher, but more like a protective guardian. Someone who's unbiasedly listened to my entire problem, and looked at the situation with my best interest at heart. 

"But seeing how as we share the same House, I doubt there is very little I can say that will change your mind...So...With that, I will offer you two things," he says taking out his wand and flicking his wrist causing a vile and stopper to zoom through the air. "One: Make sure you develop the antidote for your ailment yourself. Do it secretly, and without the help of anyone in case someone is looking to tamper with your work...And Two," he says elegantly dipping the vile into my potion, allowing it to fill it's contents. "A bit of luck."

"Professor?" I hedge, asking if he's really giving me permission. 

"I know absolutely nothing," he says stopping it carefully and handing it to me. "Except that it should be ready some time, two weeks from today."

I'm smiling to myself the entire way back down to the Slytherin Common Room. Mostly everyone is bustling about getting ready for classes, but since I have a free period this morning I use the opportunity to hide my brew of Felix Felicis. I put it in the most obvious place, inside a sock above my bed-post before casting an disillusionment charm on it, along with a few other protective enchantments around my bed.

When I'm finished, I gather my things and head for the Great Hall. I eat something light, swiping a few pieces of toast and bacon before jogging outside to enjoy the uncommonly Spring weather. I can hear the shouts and the whistle blowing from the Quidditch pitch, and remembering Alistair's time table I know he's in practice. My feet take me down into the opposite direction, toward Hagrid's Hut and I knock on the door. 

"G'wenuh'vere" he beams, opening the door as wide as possible to allow me inside and I'm practically tackled to the floor with kisses from Fang. "Fang, Get off' o'her! She didn't trek all the way, down y'here ter look at yer' ugly mug."

"Oh yes I did," I giggle getting attacked by the colossal pup, until he finds the bacon. "Fine! I give up! You win," I grin handing over the rest of my breakfast, and the puppy barks and skips happily before giving my hand a gentle nip. "Hello, Hagrid" I smile straightening myself back upright. 

"Hello-Hello-Hello," he gruffs happily. "Are you ready to help me with today's lesson?"

 

Alistair's POV

(Meanwhile at the Quidditch Pitch...)

"Oi! Xiang! Are you still asleep or just blind in order for you to miss that pass?! Either wake-up, or pack it up!" Prisha Singh shouts past me, before spiraling elegantly in a dive on her broomstick. 

I shake my head, attempting to snap my mind back into focus, and Jerry Jenkins our best chaser zooms over towards the far left goal. I veer my Nimbus 2016 over to block his shot but he fakes me out passing it to Regina Walker, a third-year and our other chaser. She tosses it easily into the center hoop before I even have a hope of making a save. Prisha's signature scream of fury pulses throughout the sky, faintly resembling one of those warning sirens that resounded across Britain during World War II.

"Xiang! What the , man!" She shrieks before smacking the front handle of her broom. "That's the oldest play our team has! It wasn't even new when Helga Hufflepuff used it!"

I circle around the hoops trying to shake myself back into practice, giving myself a slight pep-talk. 

The only thing that helps is that I know what's bothering...well...one of the main things that's bothering me that I can actually do something about; and I'm not just sulking or feigning confusion. And if I can just focus long enough on the task at hand, it will leave me more time later to properly figure out a solution to everything else. 

"Come on Fred, you got this..." 

My mind recalls her voice, and I nod reminding myself of her belief in me. I can picture the sweet expression that grows on her face whenever she knows I need the extra encouragement. Her dark eyes somehow pool with light, mirroring optimisim and pride-"

"WOTCHER, AL!!!" Patrick, one of our beaters shouts and I swiftly dodge a bludger he mistakenly sent my way. 

"Dammit, Xiang! Get your head in the game!"

"RIGHT!" I bellow back ready to play. 

I'm able to get through the rest of practice and even with my poor performance, the overall morale of the team isn't low. 

"You know even with Prisha's screaming, this really was a solid practice," Regina smiles cluelessly, earning a look from our Captain.

"Yeah, well, we still could use a lot of work" Prisha smirks relaxing a bit. "We've got a match a few weekends away against Ravenclaw, and if we throw in some extra sessions. I really think we have a good shot to face Slytherin for the Championship."

Our house wants it so bad. I can't even remember a time in Hogwart's history where we have been this close to actually attaining the title. But our team is really solid, and we've played well and consistiently ever since I joined the team last year. And usually I'm one of the best players on the team, when I focus. But lately...

"Xiang!"

I look over to Prisha and she's staring at me expectantly before her thin lips crack her face into a full smile. I take the quaffle into my hands and toss it to her and she catches it easily, before placing it in the chest with the other balls.

"I need to apologize," she winces. "I shouldn't have gotten so upset during practice."

"Don't sweat it," I shrug showing no hurt feelings. "We all know how you get when it comes to Quidditch. Besides, every call you made was true."

"Yeah, but it didn't have to come out that harsh," she chuckles apologetically. "Especially, when it's so obvious that you're going through something."

I gasp holding my breath for a fraction of a second, before exhaling slowly frowing hard deep in thought. She inches a step closer, raising her eyebrows silently encouraging me to talk it out. 

"Alright...It's about Gwen Collins," I grumble quietly.

She surprises me with another laugh. "When is it not?"

My eyes narrow questioningly, and she twists fighting another smile. "You-"

"Ohhhh, yeah," She nods, confidently guessing what I was about to say. "I'm sorry she doesn't feel the same way...That's really rough, and she's missing out on a really wonderful person."

"Thanks" I whine a little grateful for the support. "But that's not what I want to talk about."

"What is it, then?"

I glance over my shoulder making sure that we're out of earshot of most of the group. Patrick is the closest to us, but he's struggling so badly wrestling a bludger to the ground in order to put it away I figure we're at a safe distance. 

"Well, as you already know" I begin a bit quieter. "This year's invites have already been sent out."

She waits half-a-second before clueing into what I'm talking about. "Yeah. So?"

"So, Gwen got one."

"I'm not following. I thought this was what you wanted," she frowns. "If anything, I'm pretty sure we all figured you'd be thrilled."

"What would make anyone think that?"

"Because she's practically all you go on about," Prisha smiles. "You're always saying how much fun she is to be around. How cool she is-"

"So you're saying this is my fault, then."

"Who's blaming you for anything?" She groans. "I'm still not seeing a problem."

My eyes narrow not wanting to put bad mojo into the atmosphere, even though I can't help but think it. 

"You really think there's nothing to worry about?" I ask hesitantly, and she shakes her head still somewhat confused. 

"You're overthinking it. And even if something bad were to happen, it wouldn't be intentional. Too many people look forward to this tradition. It's not worth the social risk or backlash if someone were to ruin it," she reassures. I feel a bit better hearing her logic, watching her put away the balls. "But, if you still feel uneasy-"

"Yeah?" I interrupt anxiously, and she just smiles placing a hand on my shoulder to give me a friendly shake. 

"Just, ask her not to go and explain the reason why...if it's legit I'm sure she'll listen," she explains. "Especially if she sees how upset you are." 

I sigh settling into the sound piece of advice she's given me, and we walk back to the changing rooms. I take a quick shower, get dressed and grab my stuff in order to make it to my first class of the day. Divination, located on the seventh floor.

When I get to class I'm one of the early ones so I settle in at my usual table waiting for Morgan to arrive, and I slide in easily beside my friend Sheva Campbell. She sits with her eyes close, chanting ominously waving her fingers mystically around the crystal-sphere placed in the center of our work-station. 

"I knew, you were coming..."

"Did you, now?" I smirk taking out my notebook with this morning's assignment. 

"Yes...Your class schedule told me so," she answers opening her eyes and breaking into a beautiful smile. "Which I'm actually really surprised you're sticking this class out. I mean, you don't really need it anyway."

"I guess it's just a good filler," I shrug and she nods accepting my answer. "How did you do regarding your predictions?"

She takes in a deep breath before beginning to explain her findings. "It should be a fairly quiet month for me."

"Really?"

"In fact it's almost boring, which is why..." she comments, pulling out her notepad. "I did some extra-credit work, and created predictions for you and Morgan as well."

"Gee, thanks" I scoff, and she wrinkles her nose. 

"..Okay. What's wrong," she asks flatly causing me to smile. 

"You're the Seer," I tease. "You tell me."

"At least give me a hint," she giggles before shaking her head, and packing away the materials she doesn't need. "Although if it's about your friend Gwen, I doubt I even need to guess."

"Am I really that obvious?" I groan as Morgan strides in with a few other members from class. 

"You mean, it's not intentional?" He jibes, no doubt reading the situation in order to jump right into the conversation. 

"Whatever, it's your own damn fault" Sheva smiles. "I told you, you weren't compatible."

"I've told you time and time again, I don't care about that stuff," I argue. 

"Maybe you should, then your track record wouldn't be so toxic," she quips, making it so I can't dispute it. "And I know her Aquarian nature will ensure excitement and passion, but you two are bound for trouble if you two can't learn to communicate honestly."

"Well, don't look at me. I keep trying too, but-"

"She shuts you out," Morgan finishes and I nod. 

"She does so many things for me, that make me feel like she cares about me. And not the 'me' people think they know or expect me to be...but...the real me," I admit feeling my chest warm from the inside, remembering her. "But then if I ask her to tell me how she feels, she not only shuts me out but shuts down as well...She won't talk to me. And that's more frustrating than anything else. It makes it seem like our relationship is just a series of mistaken mixed signals, but I know in my heart it's not! She's the one!"

My heart is pounding a bit faster than normal, no doubt in reaction to the fact that I've just professed my love for Guinevere Collins to half of my Divination's class. Everyone stares at me hesitantly, and I sink a bit lower on my pillow slightly embarrassed. 

"You've got to get this under control," Morgan chuckles before turning to Sheva, his expression filled with wonder. "...You're brilliant."

"Hold on, now! I was just thinking" she clarifies and he shakes his head. "And it's not fair you can hear me!"

"No, just highly convenient. Especially when you think of something I've never considered."

"How would we even know it would work?"

"Because you said so yourself, she's a true Aquarian. And I've hung around her long enough to know how to get under her skin."

"What are you two going on about?" I jump in, growing tired of their vague conversation. 

"Sorry!" Morgan apologizes. "It's just, Sheva figured out a way to get you and Gwen together...Officially."

"Wait? Really?" I ask hopefully. "How?"

Sheva's eyes narrow a bit at Morgan, before sighing reluctantly and facing me. "You're going to date me instead."

~~~

sorry for any and all spelling mistakes. i'm tired and need sleep. i'll spell-check it tomorrow.