Butterflies

Another Year...

Gwen's POV

(Hours Later...)

"Oh, heavens!" An elderly cleaning woman exclaims as I'm stepping out of the bathroom stall of the Surrey Train Station. "Aren't you just a vision!"

I smile wide thanking her before stepping to the sink to wash and dry my hands before turning slightly to see the back of my dress. It's a baby pink, halter top, A-line tulle bottom that flares out just above my knee. While we were shopping Al had to convince me to even try it on because I don't think I've ever worn a dress outside of the Fall/Winter color palet and I just don't seem to be a baby-pink kind of girl, but literally all of the neutral colored dresses were decked out in jewels or glitter. Not that I'm not a fan of glitter or a good sparkle, it just seems that this isn't an appropriate time to stand out. I can tell from what Alistair chose to wear he's trying to blend in as much as possible, a plain black suit. So I went with this dress because it felt the most appropriate. Reserved and polite, nothing too special but still nice enough for a blue-blood party. I pinned my hair up in one of those quick updos and I found some pearl-clips to make it a little fancier, and the corals and golds of my makeup soften my features. It's the exact opposite of how I prepared myself to visit Aunt Vinda and although it's a little different, I have to agree with the cleaning-woman I do look lovely. I do a little spin in my strappy block heel shoes feeling light and happy, wondering if this is how it feels to go to Homecoming or Prom with a date-

My date! Alistair!

I shake myself from the daydream remembering that we have somewhere to be by a specific time, and I hurry out of the restroom and around the corner to a set of benches and Alistair is sitting on one waiting for me. His eyes fall to my feet before ascending slowly, taking in the full sigh of me before connecting to mine and I legit swoon seeing how precise he is in noticing me. His gaze flows smoothly making me feel like I'm having an out of body experience watching a movie of us, and I drop my head clutching my stomach trying to settle the familiar churn as I make my way to him. 

The only frustrating thing about any of this is the fact that he won't say anything, he lets his facial expression say it all. He's practically beaming silently fawning over the way I look, carefully swirling his finger around one of the curls currently framing my face and I shift away uncomfortably at how openly intimate this all is starting to feel. 

His hand jerks away from me immediately reading my reaction. "I'm sorry," he apologizes and I take a deep breath and nod, and he breaks the tension by playfully bowing and extending his arm. "Shall We?"

I smile taking it noticing how he tucks me into his side and we begin our walk out of the train station. "...You look, really good Fred."

He ducks his head with a smile. "I have to, to keep up with you."

"Stahp!" I groan and he chuckles. "But seriously, if your whole point was to blend in I doubt if it's working. You're handsome enough to grace any magazine cover. Especially with the black hair."

"Thanks," he says a bit low and I sigh hearing how he misses the pop of color.

I make a face knowing that no matter what I say, he's not going to feel happy about his appearance because this is just another way for him to try and blend in. He surprises me by guiding me over to a small, old-fashioned, yellow car and the doors swing open. 

"I thought we were walking?"

"Like I'd really have you trekking the same way I do in order to get home," he says with a laugh sounding almost insulted. "No, I called ahead for a car."

"But where's the driver?" I ask preparing to slide in the backseat, and my eyes stretch seeing how no one is inside. 

"I didn't call a muggle-service, I arranged a rental with the same company that runs the Knight-Bus. I needed something quicker and less noticeable. I hope this is okay?"

"Are you kidding? This is epic!" I squeal as he slides in beside me shutting the door and immediately I'm buckling myself in. Alistair secures my seatbelt before buckling his own and we check out the interior of the car waiting for something to happen. 

"Uh...Harris Manor, Surrey, England," he says clearly and the car door locks as the engine starts up beneath us. "If this ends up being anything like the Knight-Bus, you might want to close your eyes."

I give him a skeptical look as Alistair continues to grin taking my hand and giving it a squeeze. The anticipation feels just like the start of a rollercoaster ride and as soon as we jerk forward I feel as if I'm riding one. We snap and squeeze through the traffic both on foot and motorized, we travel so fast I feel as if I'm spinning and I even shriek when the car slams on it's breaks after zipping through a four-way stop. 

"Hang on, Love! We're almost there!" Alistair laughs giving our hands a playful shake. 

"THIS IS WORSE THAN QUIDDITCH!" 

"But twice as fun!" When the car finally stops it jerks forward to a complete stop and I'm practically clutching my chest trying to steady my heart, as Alistair laughs beside me. "Aww," he comments smoothing out my hair and I give him a sour look. "Alright, I promise we'll never do that again."

"You promise?" I smile still gripping my heart before unbuckling my seatbelt and Alistair does the same sliding out first to help me out. We're parked about a block or so away from the main gate, and I hear Alistair take a deep breath releasing his nerves. "It's going to be alright, and if it all becomes to much we can go at any time."

"Thanks, but maybe things won't come to that. Maybe we'll have the time of our lives," he replies hopeful, as we step in line to get admitted to the party. The line moves fairly quickly, and it's pretty standard. The guests give the name and are admitted inside with no trouble and from what we can hear it sounds like a fun party, I mean my head is already bobbing to the music. Alistair smiles down at me and I scrunch my nose back at him continuing to dance in place determined to make his smile genuine. 

"Name."

"Alistair Harris," he answers softly and the security guard runs his finger down a list before flipping a page, and as the silence drags on it's very clear to all of us that Alistair's name isn't there. 

"I'm sorry, sir. I'm not seeing the name. All Harris' have been checked in already."

I watch the seconds stretch humiliation and hurt across Alistair's face before watching him skillfully transform it into a charming grin. "No, my apologies, did I really say Harris?" He adds extremely suave as a large lump swells in my throat watching a performance I know all too well. "It's been such a long day, forgive me. Xiang. Alistair, Xiang."

I'm able to pass off my catchbreath as a sniffle and I bite my lip so hard refusing to become emotional because this isn't ing about me, but I am struggling so bad knowing what this simple door-check represents. 

"Ah. Here you are. Mr. Xiang and your plus-"

"One," Alistair says steadily as I'm practically sniveling beside him, but I can't help it as everything he's ever told me about his home life starts to align. 

"I'm more of a disappointment..."

"They don't approve of magic..."

"Whenever I could I'd slip on a train into London and spend hours walk'n up and down the streets..."

"See after my firs' year at Hogwarts, I didn't want to stay home much..."

"As you know my dad and I have a strained relationship, and because of his job we didn't spend much time together when I was a kid..."

"She'd go on and on about how special I was, and how my life then was just something I had to go through in order to get to something better..."

"That one day, I'd finally be surrounded by people who'd love and support me..."

"I told you, this was the only way I could come with you on a muggle-train."

"It's just...embarrassing...I'm not real."

"In the eyes of Muggle-Law, I don't exist...I'm not registered in the muggle-world, only in the wizarding one."

"The only ones aware of my existence are immediate family members..."

"Acknowledging my existence would be damaging to my family's reputation and my father's political career. To him, nothing is more important than that."

"Of course! Enjoy your evening," the guard exchanges easily, changing his stance to let us through the entrance but my knees lock in place unable to move. 

"Gwen," Alistair urges perfectly calm and I look up to him, and the patient smile he gives me feels like an invisible er-punch to the gut. "For me?"

I roll my eyes dramatically feeling my joints unloosen with his request and I nod stepping over the threshold of the estate, and we're led to coat check-in. In the time it takes us to walk through the enormous hall and the room opens up into the massive foyer, I've got my together. Alistair extends his arm and I take it notcing him give me a light squeeze as we head further into the party. I've legit never seen so many people comfortably squished inside a ballroom, with their heightened smiles and laughter, fancy clothes and pompous stares downing endless glasses of champagne. This party feels something straight of a Jane Austen novel but with a Roaring 20's theme. So many ballgowns in every color known to man extend and flare to floor causing the slightest turns to be a runway walk, are starting to make me feel inadequate-

"I don't think I've ever seen so many uneccessary frills in my life," Alistair scoffs glancing about the room loosening his tie. 

"And here I was thinking I was underdressed."

"Are you kidding? I wouldn't change a thing, well-"

"Well, what?"

He shrugs a bit trying to let it go but then he sighs knowing I won't. "Nothing. I just know how you feel about bright colors...Well, not bright colors, I know you're a go-big-go-home type girl. Like a gold or marigold you have no trouble with, but I know how you feel about pink. Especially this shade because it's so fair. But I also know you did it for me."

I stare at him a minute feeling a chill pour down my spine, and my nose flares a bit to keep from smiling. 

"What?" He asks and I shrug facing forward towards the crowd. 

"Nothing. It's just really hard not to kiss you when you talk like that."

"Oh." He wipes his mouth trying to erase the growing grin currently plastered to his face, but then I feel his body stiffen beside me as two men walk towards us. One being an exact replica of the stranger Alistair posed on our train to Paris...his father.

The other an average height, slender whisp of a man with a really bad blonde toupee. "Ally! My boy! You made it! Excellent! And you've brought a friend."

"My girlfriend. Gwen," Alistair introduces protectively and I ignore the flash of surprise across his father's eyes. 

"It's," I inhale mustering up the lie. "A pleasure to meet you. To thank you in person."

"Thank me?" Lord Harris scoffs before inclining his head towards me. 

"She's American?" The man asks in awe.

"For Alistair...He's the most remarkable man I've ever met, and I can only assume it's because of your influence" I explain before releasing the tension with a friendly laugh. "Or should I thank someone else?"

Alistair shakes his head understanding my double meaning, but as planned it entertains and amuses both his father and the man tickeled-pink beside him. 

"No-No, I'm the one responsible. And you're welcome, young lady," Lord Harris grins in a way that reminds me of Alistair. 

"Gold! Just gold!" The man peeps waving over a few cameras and the flashes go off. "Just a few pictures? Smiles, everyone! Smiles!"

Lord Harris flanks to my side and I crush myself even closer to Al, who remains steady as ever giving a small smile to the paparazzi. I take a deep breath and smile until the flashes stop and the man orcehstrating it all moves the reporters to another area, and Lord Harris shifts from my side immediately draining all warmth from the atmosphere to walk away. 

"Lord Harris," Alistair says gripping his arm stopping him mid-step. 

"Alistair, not now."

"Then when?" 

"Later, perhaps. As long as there are no accidents or further," he pauses to give me a swift glare. "Surprises."

The word shoots through me and I shut my eyes already talking myself out of a thousand or so hexes that are currently pop-quizzing my brain, but I breathe slow keeping to the vow I made earlier. I purse my lips hard and by the time I open my eyes, Lord Harris is already weaving through the crowd. 

Alistair kisses his teeth beside me unloosening his tie even more. "Bastard," he growls extremely low, before looking down to me and I stare into his eyes practically pledging my life to his. "... it."

"Whoa, what?" I ask feeling his hand grip mine and he's dragging me to another hallway. 

"Wait here!" He orders already starting to change his appearance to match his father's thin-flunkie. 

"AL!" I hiss watching him disappear towards the bar and I cover my face before starting to wince at the other guests trying to appear inconspicuous until Al comes back brandishing a rather large bottle of champagne. My eyes widen in horror as he wiggles his eyebrows at me. "We can't! We're not legal!"

"Not in the States, but here in England," he flirts and my eyes buldge even more. "Not to mention...We're both seventeen," he says with a smile that would fool most people, but I know it too well myself. He stumbles backward trying to escape the way I'm looking at him, but I can't help it. He's hurting and we both know it, and there's nothing either one of us can do about it. "Are you coming or not?" He asks bitterly and I sigh taking the bottle from his hands before gesturing him to lead the way. 

We end up in the gardens with our barefeet ankle-deep in one of the main fountains. We've danced and slipped occasionally splashing each other just to lighten up the heavyset mood, and I'm not sure how long we've been sitting out here, but I'll stay out here forever if it'll make him feel better. I have this ridiculous theory that if I drink more than he does I can keep him from doing something stupid, because I know deep down he's just looking for an escape. Even if it's only for a few minutes. 

"You're gonna make yourself sick."

"I am not!" I say immaturely taking another large gulp from the bottle. I shudder as the bitterness slides down my throat and he ends up laughing. "It's your fault we're doing this anyway."

"Yeah?" He smirks looking at his toes wiggling in the water. "Add it to my tab of things I up."

"Alistair-"

"You know what's the worst part of it all?" He asks continuing to talk over me. "...No matter how much of a gigantic piece of he is, I still want him to like me...To look at me like I'm not the biggest mistake of his life. The mistake that just keeps messing up."

I legit don't know what to say. It's like my brain is a gigantic room filled with tons of file cabinets of memories, advice and useful information; and there are "helpers", tons of minature versions of myself frantically tossing drawers open only to find them empty. And I am begging for something to say that will make him feel better but I've got nothing.

I end up taking a larger swig of champagne and he chuckles, gently tugging the bottle away from me and the liquid bubbles and dribbles down my chin. 

"You're gonna end up getting drunk."

"It's just cham-pagne!" I add already a bit too loud and I hiccup before covering my mouth to stay quiet. 

"Yeah, and I had no idea you were such a lightweight," he laughs looking over to me and I hiccup again. "Have you never had a drink before tonight?"

I shake my head a little loosely. "My dad let me have a taste last Christmas."

"A taste?"

I nod. "Sherry? I think? It wasn't bad...Better than this," I add grimacing at the bottle. "And there was a lot less to finish."

"No one said we had to finish it?"

"What?"

", is that what you were aiming to do?"

"You mean you weren't?!" I say half horrified and a hearty laugh bubbles up from his chest. "...Can I tell you something?"

"As long as it isn't an apology, or something sappy drenched in sympathy or your pity. Or even your admiration at how remarkable you think I am-"

"But I do!" I half-wail. "Alistair you are so special. Strong and wonderfully sensitive. Immensely kind-" I stop mid-sentence knowing that I'm about to violate his previous request. "...I know you asked me not to apologize or say anything sappy, but I legit can't help but be in awe of you."

My words go through him causing him to reverb a little on the wall of the fountain, and he reaches up to wipe his eyes. "What-uh...What was it you wanted to tell me?"

I open my mouth preparing to let my soul pour out my feelings even more, but then the realization of what he's done for me hits me on the head like a gong. "ALISTAIR!"

"What?!"

"You came back here!"

He scoffs shaking his head. "How much have you had?"

"No! Like, you came back here because of me!" I exclaim. "You're spending your spring break in this miserable place just to-" I half-choke covering my mouth as my tears brim. "Oh...Al..."

"It's not a big deal" He grunts looking away coolly and I begin to blither. 

"Not a big deal! You broke the law in order to travel with me to visit my Aunt, and then you're staying here just so-" He rolls his head to the side and smiles as I continue to cry no doubt overwhelmed by another subtle love-confession, and I expel a gust of air. "You're not fair, you know that? You are utterly and completely unfair."

"Well, now you get a glimpse of how I felt after finding out that you chose me over your mum's wand."

"That's not the same."

"Is it?"

"She was already gone. Past tense. You're suffering because of me, present tense."

"I'm not suffering," he laughs knocking into me. "I'm...sulking," he teases reaching around to wipe my tears. "Look...This going on with me? I don't want you blaming yourself because it's not your fault. I didn't come back here solely for you."

"You didn't?"

He shakes his head slowly. "...I needed a reason to remind me why I don't ever have to come back here. That today marks my freedom, and that no matter what some way, somehow things are going to work out for the better. Because if I can survive here, everything else is cake." I bite my lip and sob even harder leaning in to hug him and he laughs. "You know I didn't say that to make you cry."

"I know! I'm just-ugh! I'm just ing pissed!" I growl wrapping my arms around his neck. "I hate every second you had to spend here! And Morgan told me to look out for you and I'm failing so bad!"

"You aren't failing," he chuckles rubbing my back, and I wrap my arms around his neck to hug him. "I asked you to come back here, remem-"

"Promise me you'll leave," I whisper in his ear and he stiffens. So, I take a deep breath and say it again hanging on to him even tighter. "At least, for the rest of this vacation..." I offer, releasing my hold to see his face. "You don't have to stay. I don't want you too. There's plenty of room with me at the Leaky Cauldron..." He looks...well I'm not sure how to describe how he looks, but he doesn't look happy. Maybe I made a mistake? Or crossed another boundary by making his family seem unacceptable...but they are! And if I had it my way, we'd already be flying out of sight on his Cleansweep. . I must've said something wrong... "You know, it's just another option," I say backpedling immediately, shrugging more than necessary. "On second thought, you know what's best. And I can't make a decision for your life just because of how I feel. I mean, that's not fair to you and it just proves that I'm overstepping-"

"Alistair!" A husky voice calls from a distance and I immediately frown watching Alistair's face harden. We scramble up from our position in the fountain and a man in a butler's uniform stomps over to where we are. "What are you doing?! This is the very behavior-"

"Sorry, Wallace" Alistair apologizes jumping down from the fountain before turning abruptly to scoop me down. 

"You and your guest are soaked head to foot! How are we going to dry you off in time?! If your Lady Harris discovers-"

"I'll take care of it, Wallace. Thank you," Alistair answers short setting me down on my feet. "Did you need me for something?"

"Only to deliver a message from Lord Harris," Wallace admits reluctantly."

"Well..." Alistair prompts impatiently. "Let's have it."

Wallace exhales gravely before apologizing. "I am sorry, Alistair, but your presence is no longer required until after this evening's festivities have concluded."

"It's fine, Wallace. No different that any other event...Can I at least get in my room?" 

"Only if you take your usual route-" Alistair groans stepping away to swing at the air, as Wallace continues to apologize. "I've already prepared a basket for you and your date to enjoy in your room."

"Why not just ask me to leave?!"

"Due to the excitement of tonight's announcement, an abrupt dismal may initiate rumors of scandal," Wallace winces and I nibble my lip unsure of what to say. "...If you would both follow me?"

"Th-Thank you," I add and Wallace looks to me with an urgent nod, gesturing for me to follow. A few moments later I hear Alistair fall in behind as we walk around the estate to a side door. 

We're led through a hallway that opens up into a bustling space, and from the placement of the windows and the description I know this is the servant's kitchen. My heart sinks watching the room, and the amount of loneliness that comes over me imagining the young boy who had lost his mother having to endure years of mistreatment and pain at the hands of those he loved most.

"This way," Wallace urges taking a large basket from one of the counters and disappearing through a side stairwell. 

I extend my hand for Al's and he stumbles a little refusing to take it, so I grab his wrist forcefully, dragging him to follow me and he rubs his nose hard. The stairs are cramped and narrow and I quickly move up them determined to keep my hold on Alistair, no matter how uncomfortable due to the lack of space, but he makes me feel as if I don't keep some sort of tether on him he's going to fly away like a balloon. When we finally reach the top it feels as if we're above everything, the noise of the party feels acres away and the corridor seems dark and cold. I shudder feeling something even more ominous lurking in the atmosphere...

Wallace walks to a door and opens it motioning us inside and Alistair scoffs. "Is this really necessary?"

"Just a safety precaution," he answers preparing to close the door. "I'll return for you both when Lord Harris is ready for you."

He shuts the door and it locks forcing the sound to reverb with finality low in my ear drum, and my head tilts understanding what's happening. 

"We're really locked in?"

"You say it like we can't get out," Alistair teases darkly flicking on a light before taking the basket and setting it on the floor as I start to freak, but then I remember how that's probably the last thing he needs right now. "Hey, uh..." he says walking to his school trunk and flipping it open. "You can help yourself to whatever of mines."

"You don't have to, I could always Hot-Air-Charm-"

"I know it's stupid, but I don't want to use magic...It just has a tendency to make things worse," he says unpacking some clothes and I take them quietly. "...Thanks."

I nod looking directly at up at him and he uses his height to stare above me, the dark onyx glint of light refracting within the tears that don't roll. "...Hey..." I begin carefully. "Since we're stuck up here together, we might as well make the best of it."

"How," He asks low and I take the clothes and head for one of the opposite corners. 

"Hurry up and change so you can find out," I smirk starting to work myself out of the clothes. 

Wallace was right, I am soaked from head to foot. Alistair ended up giving me one of his school button-downs and a pair of sweatpants that are so big they don't have a hope of staying up. The shirt is so long it feels more like a dress and after I slip them on I decide it's enough before beginning to strip Alistair's bed in order to build a fort using the furniture of his room. 

"What are you doing?"

"Have you never built a fort?" I ask starting to take the pillows off of the bed, but the annoyance on his face is enough to get me to stop. "...I can go."

"What?"

I take a deep breath, gaining enough nerve to repeat myself because he's so on edge and I don't want to say something that's going to make him feel worse. "I said, I can go."

"Do you want too?"

"No, but maybe it'd be easier for you if I did," I explain. "I don't want you feeling some type of way because I'm here."

"You mean embarrassed," he alludes and I look towards the floor. 

"You don't have to be. This isn't your fault, Al."

He exhales hard digging through his trunk to find some dry clothes. "I don't want you to go."

"Okay," I nod choosing to sit on his bed. "Whatever you need."

He nods taking the clothes to the opposite corner starting to change and I begin picking inside the picnic basket. I'm extremely hungry but I've noticed that Alistair isn't, so out of respect for his lack of appetite I settle on a chocolate chip cookie. I nibble it gratefully because it's the biggest and best-tasting cookie I've had in a long time, and when Alistair joins me I immediately offer him a bite. You would've thought I er-punched him the way he crumbles into my arms and I hold him tenderly to me, brushing his tears away with the tips of my fingers before replacing them with soft kisses. 

I hold him tightly trying to erase the negative thoughts swirling in his head, replacing them with affirmations of all that he's grown to be, all that he has, and the people in his life who truly want what's best for him...

I'm not sure how or when my kisses change their intention, I just know we both need to feel something stronger than what we presently are.

He doesn't seem to notice at first. Not when my hands slip in between his shirt to reveal the hard muscle underneath. Not when my kisses roam carefully down the nape of his neck, or when my body presses even further into his. But when my hand guides his to hook on the band of my underwear, he freezes. 

"Gwen," he quivers as we pant on jagged rhythms. 

"Whatever you need," I say feeling myself tear at the sheer vulnerability of the moment. I can already feel myself becoming embarrassed, feeling exposed to the point of mortification but the pain in his eyes gives me courage to express how I feel. 

I want him, and I'm ready to experience this next phase of humanity...I'm just nervous. But the hurt on his face makes me feel desperate enough to do anything just to replace it with something else. 

"I...want too," I say kissing the tip of his nose. "And you need to focus on something else, so..." I half smile. "Use me."

He crumbles inward before looking back up to me, and I nod giving him the okay as he gripes before leaning in to kiss me. To really kiss me, and my breathing hikes up and skips as I really melt into him.

He eases me down with tenderness. Everything feels soft and lush as he gently guides me through womanhood, adorning the different parts of my body with our bond, fortifying his allegiance to me as I enjoy the new sensations. Sensations that are so euphoric, my mind is dizzy. His whispered confessions profoundly planted in cycles of heavenly thrums, humming his affections for me in mental loops I can't help but cry. I'm that happy.

And for a few moments, he is too.

 

 

Alistair's POV

(After...)

"Ugh! This so bad!" She laughs and I look over to her, and she couldn't look any more adorable if she tried which only sours my mood even more. "Okay. I'm really gonna try."

"Try, what?"

"To stop laughing! Like do you see my face!" She purses her lips but her smile peels through effortlessly, radiating her happiness and for a second I feel myself getting caught up, but then I remember why I'm angry. "I don't think I've ever felt this...good," she cackles. "Like if this is the reason why Hufflepuff is the happiest house, I'll gladly be sorted again!"

I roll my eyes and groan feeling defeated by her presence before joining her good mood reluctantly. "Ugh! Now you're officially the worst, you know that, righ'?"

"I'm gonna get better," she grumbles shyly and that makes me slap myself again. One person shouldn't be this naturally precious. "Like...a lot was happening, and I didn't know where to put my hands-"

"No! Not that! And if you think you're not the most perfect, -kitten in existence you're mental."

She surprises me by squealing and covering her face, and falling over to lie on her side. "I'm a kitten," she peeps and I scoff shaking my head. "Wait, so how am I the worst?" She asks cutely popping up to talk to me.

"Because Gwen," I sigh preparing to tell her the reason why I can't fully enjoy the after-glow. "I ruined your first time."

"WHAT?!" She blurts before cackling. "HOW?" She exaggerates. "I don't think I could've imagined a more beautiful experience-"

"Yeah. Well, I did."

She sits up to look at me and I attempt to sulk, but she's so beautiful. Her skin absorbs the light-source, warming her coloring from the inside so that her black eyes glint with these giant refractions like an anime character. She's still wearing my button-down, but the top two buttons are open giving me a perfect-v of her plump cleavage. Her hair, messy from me and her head rocking side to side in pleasure as I-

I sit up farther and button her shirt causing her to cover her face and laugh. "You're ridiculous!"

"No. I'm a dog."

"You're not a dog! If anything I seduced you!"

"Yeah but I should've stopped."

"I didn't want you too!" She half wails and I laugh seeing as how she's not going to help me feel better about it. "Fred..." she groans playfully leaning in to lay across my chest, looping an arm to snuggle herself closer. "Don't be mad, please."

"You see how that makes it worse. I didn't even try to-" I sigh holding her close. "I used your first time to make myself feel better. How selfish is that?"

"AGAIN! I wanted you too!" She quips looking happily up at me. "Al, you were so sad I legit didn't know what to do. All I wanted was to be there for you, to help ease the pain you were in. Was is it my smartest decision? I don't know," she grins. "But I'm not taking it back, so get over it."

"Jus' like tha'?"

"Yeah," she adds wistfully, like she's floating down from a cloud or something. "Jus' like tha'" she smirks sounding like me and I shake my head. "Al...My first time was with you, and it was the most epic thing I've ever experienced...Even talking about it gives me chills, and it couldn't have been more beautiful. I've never felt more loved or safe, and I didn't even think there as a way to feel beyond what you already gave me before and now..." she expels breathlessly as her tears return. "I don't need a million candles," she laughs as her tears spill. "I don't need a sea of rose-petals that cushion my every step. I don't need sheer canopies that drape a starry sky," she sniffles mimicking the same vulnerability that captured me earlier. "I just wanted you. And I got it, so...please don't be mad."

Her eyes go extremely soft and I'm practically puddy in her hands seeing her like this. My fingers trace the curve of as I touch my forehead to hers. "I love you."

She giggles hugging me closer before telling me the same. "Ugh! I feel like a Taylor Swift song."

I laugh hugging her tighter and she settles into me like a bunny burrowing down, and I love the way she curls herself into me. Her hands interlace through mine before squeezing them and I kiss her forehead tenderly realizing how wonderful she is and how she's everything I could ever possibly want or need, silently promising to be the same for her. 

And then right before I think I couldn't love this girl any more, she closes her eyes and hums so lazily happy my heart clenches hearing how at ease we both are. 

"What do you know about Oasis?" I hedge after recognizing the tune and she smiles dreamily. 

"Someday you will find me, caught beneath a landslide," she sings softly. "In a Champagne-Supernova...A Champagne-Supernova in the sky," she finishes sounding truly lovely before mangling her face and voice to mimic the infamous guitar solo, and both of us start cracking up. "...Where's your mind? You seem far away," she comments after a moment of looking at me, and her hand runs through my hair before sliding back to rest on my chest. 

I shake my head and sigh knowing that even though her distraction was perfect, it still hasn't worked. I feel better than I had initially. I'm more grounded and I know things for me are definitely heading in a good direction...

"My dad..." I admit and she nods knowingly. "I had hoped my being here tonight would've meant a change in our relationship. That even if things were messed up because of me before, he'd understand how I'm still rooting for him...because I ultimately still love him. Even after everything." I smirk a little as Gwen squeezes herself closer to me, comforting me the only way she's learned how. "But I'm not going to feel better until we talk. And then after that-"

"Just take it in pieces," she adds simply. "We can tackle whatever else afterwards."

"We?" I ask baiting her a little, but I love hearing how strong she feels about me and she doesn't disappointment practically chewing my head off. 

"Yes! We!" She stresses sitting up to lean on top of me to bunker down even more. "You brought me here!" She growls playfully, straddling herself across my stomach and lowering her face into mine. "And if you think-"

"Yeah?" I taunt and she smiles at me allowing tears to brim her eyes. I reach up and tug on a flyaway curl. 

"Whatever happens, we're facing it together," she promises leaning in slow to kiss me sweetly, and the sensations swells in my chest before exploding my heart just like a firework. 

My hands reach up keeping her in place to kiss her even deeper and slacks as my teeth taste her lip, swiping my tongue across hers and she whimpers so soft and low I grunt frustrated by our surroundings. I shake my head practically dragging myself away from , determined not to yield to temptation again in this house. 

"We have to stop. And we have to get dressed," I snarl entirely upset with myself and her, because she's so innocently enticing. Her eyes are shut and she bobs her head in agreement, but it's like I'm watching her descend from a cloud she's that dizzy from me, and I scowl torn between doing everything I can to keep her soaring for days or doing what I know is going to make me feel better in the long-run. 

She clenches her thighs across me preparing to get up, and the squeeze feels so good I legit just want to plunge into her-

"Did I do something?" She asks and my restraint crumbles from her question. My lips devour hers making my desires more than clear, but my conscious won't let up, and I groan rolling off of her. 

"Ugh! You aren't doing anything," I laugh with torture. "I want you. I want to enjoy every part of you, but making love to you here...feels wrong."

"Oh! Al! I'm sorry!" She apologizes, scrambling for her clothes. 

"No-No-No-No-No!" I rush grabbing her face and practically squishing it. "I don't regret anything. I just don't want to do it again here," I emphasize. "...That's another reason why I felt bad about our first time. I hate that this place is now special because of you...It makes leaving here a bit harder."

"It doesn't have too. It's just one of many memories we'll create together," she laughs bringing my hands down. "This is only the end of your chapter here. You and me?" She says coolly reaching up to tug on my ear, bending my head so that it touches hers. "We're just getting started," she smirks before giving me a quick kiss. 

"Mhm-Mmm," I say shaking my head as my lips steal a series of kisses and she breaks away with with another laugh. "You can't kiss me like that."

"I barely did anything."

"And you've got to stop talking like that," I grin falling away from her touch, noticing how this party shows no signs of stopping. "...I know we're supposed to stay up here, but-" I say glancing towards the door before looking back to Gwen, and she stares at me just as lovesick and doe-eyed as ever. "How about crashing a party?"

 

Gwen's POV

It only takes a half hour or so to clean ourselves up and dress back into our party clothes, and I'm thankful that the mood feels much lighter and optimistic than when we originally came upstairs. I help Alistair pack and shrink his belongings before covering the furniture with sheets, silently emphasizing his decision to leave this house for good. He shrinks his school trunk before stuffing it in his back pocket and grabbing my hand. 

He glances around the room one final time giving my hand a squeeze, pointing his wand at the door-lock. "Alohamora," he says clearly tapping the lock and it clicks open. 

We head down the back stairs and through the still bustling kitchen before easing back into the party and we find two empty seats at a table. We sit for awhile watching the other guests until a slow song comes on and I can't help but sway a little to the music. Alistair smoothly slides his hand to mine guiding me to follow him to the dance-floor, and he spins me gently into his frame leading me in a dance. We rock slowly with him humming softly above me as the music transitions to Post Malone's Circles. 

"I love and hate this song," I grumble feeling my eyes start to water, and I sniffle hard leaning away from him to slightly jump and bob to each beat. 

"Don't think about what it means," he says swinging our arms before pulling me back to him. "We're together, right now. And when you start to get sad, just picture yourself on that Hippogriff Sanctuary," he smiles dancing a bit sillier. "With me sailing in on my Firebolt Supreme with another win for English National Quidditch Team."

"Ugh! How epic would that be if it actually came true?" I groan with a laugh feeling my mood perk back up. 

"It could still happen. I mean, after we take our N.E.W.Ts who knows?"

"Alistiar Xiang, you are forever the optimist" I grin as he spins me again before dipping me and he holds me there. 

"I'll be whatever it takes to keep that smile on your face," he says bringing me back up and I'm still smiling. 

"It's gonna ruin my rep at school," I add scrunching my face attempting to hide how happy I feel, but it barely works. 

"I don't think it's as tough as you think it is," he tries but one look from me shatters it and we both laugh continuing to dance. 

We spend the rest of the party dancing and sampling the food table until most of the crowd is ushered out, and Wallace walks over to our seats at our table. "Lord Harris wishes for you to join him in the office," he says directly to Alistair. "And your guest is to wait in the sitting room."

"No," Alistair says immediately. "Anything we have to talk about, Gwen can-"

"I'm sorry, Alistair. But Lord Harris has made his instructions clear, and seeing as how you disobeyed his earlier wishes I think it would be best if you succumbed to his request," Wallace adds nervously. 

"Go on, I'll wait for you," I say leaning up to kiss his cheek. "I'll be alright and I promise to play nice."

He scoffs shaking his head and I let him go to smooth out his jacket and to fix his tie. "...I'll only be a few minutes."

"Okay," I nod shooing him on and he jogs in place a little taking deep breaths resembling his attitude before a Quidditch match. I turn back to Wallace and he winces before leading me to the sitting room and I'm thankful it's empty.

He slides the doors shut and I half expect him to lock it again but he doesn't and I choose to sit on an automan not wanting to get too comfortable, not that I'm really given the choice. Everything about this room feels stiff and delicate, like if you move to fast you could break a thousand different family heirlooms. This place is aesthetically the complete opposite of Aunt Vinda's, but somehow still unwelcoming towards visitors. This place is beautiful, just as breathtaking as a English manor set in the Regency-Era...but it's just as cold as the marble walls or grand-staircases that surround the grounds.

A woman's voice shrills with excitement as she slides open the door, but her beautiful smile drops just as soon as her face meets mine. "Well," she sighs flipping her icy-blonde hair over her shoulder, her pale green gown trailing behind her. "Tonight was almost perfect," she smirks walking over to a tray holding three bottles of light-brown liquor. "Alistair's still here?"

"Yes, I believe he's currently speaking with Lord Harris," I answer as two young gentlemen enter the room as well. They're similar in height and stature with matching Calvin Klein-Catelogue expressions.

"And, what do we have here?" The taller of the two smiles and I stand from my seat and face the three of them square on before introducing myself.

"My name is Gwen. Gwen Collins, and I'm a friend of Alistair's."

"I wasn't aware Alistair's delusions kept him sane long enough to make a friend, he must've met you recently," the other comments smoothing his reddish brown slicked-back hairstyle back in place. "You don't seem like the average American simpleton, however let's be honest, if you possessed a sound-mind there's no possibility he could've convinced you to come here. At least, not based on the truth."

"Truth?" I frown. "What truth?"

"What 'Truth'?" The other one mimics and my nostrils flare from his tone. "I'm don't even know why we're wasting our time entertaining her questions. He obviously hasn't told her about himself nor his kind, and if I was him I wouldn't. A bunch of freaks waving their fancy sticks about-"

"Trevor," the woman warns. "Not in front of company."

"You know we should've had him comitted ages ago when all of it first started. He was always doing weird by himself as a kid. Breaking objects and snarling with snakes like a bloody Snake-Charmer," Trevor scowls. 

"Not to mention that summer we found him curled up and shaking like a coward, crying for his mum because he was so c-c-cold," the tall one shivers mocking Alistair. "That stupid-oaf of a nanny had to coax him out of a fit."

"As I told your brother, not in front of company, Dylan," she snides. "We know nothing about this girl, nor what she knows. Not where she came from, nor how she even came to know Alistair or involve herself in any of this-"

I bite my lips hard hoping that Alistair's conversation is going better than the one I'm currently a part of. I look up to the ceiling hanging onto my vow by a thread as they continue to hail countless stories about Alistair's past traumas. 

"Now, Ms. Collins you've been awfully quiet. Surely, you must have something to say," the woman speaks and my eyes flicker to hers wanting to verbally rip into her, but I don't because Alistair returns saving me and I walk to his side immediately. 

I can tell from his face he's upset and from Lord Harris' tone that follows, I also know their conversation didn't end well. "Ready?" He asks and I nod taking his hand to follow him out. 

"You ungrateful wretch!" Lord Harris bellows. "After everything, you have the gall to-"

"Harris," the woman quips, standing up to quiet him. "The grounds are still crowded with paparazzi...Tonight went swimmingly, don't give him the victory after your hard earned success."

"I'm not trying to ruin anything! All I wanted was a ing apology for making me feel like a burden! That even though I've been made to feel like it since I arrived on your doorstep ten years ago, I'm not a ing mistake! That it's not my fault my mother was incredible, and that my father, Lord Harris of Peckham fooled her into believing he cherished her more than his precious title, or legacy, or any of this familial bull that's made him ashamed to claim me as his son," Alistair cries allowing his tears of anger to fall. "That's all I wanted! That's all I've ever ing wanted!"

"Whoo-Hoo," Dylan taunts. "Seven years at that school for freaks, and Allison finally comes home with a pair."

"You're sad, the entire lot of you are all sad, pathetic excuses for human-decency and your only saving grace is Gia," Alistair sniffles. "And she's the only tie I'll have to you or this place, starting right now."

"Don't tell me we're finally getting rid of you?!" The woman cackles and the sound cracks my heart hearing how elated she is.

"Yeah, Catherine. All of your wishes are finally coming true," Alistair nods coolly before laughing bitterly. "And after tonight, no matter what may happen to me, I promise to never darken this doorstep or your lives ever again."

"Now wait," Lord Harris adds and my chest heaves hoping he'll boss up and be a good parent. That he'll rush in and give Alistair a hug dispeling Alistair's feelings and give him comfort and support like I've been aching to do every since we got here. But of course that doesn't happen, and Lord Harris' next question is nearly enough to lay me out. "...I've told you time and time again how I don't approve of outsiders knowing about us or our relation to each other. How do we know she won't sell the story or-"

"Are you kidding me?" I hiss unable to stay silent. "Your son tells you he's leaving forever, and you think I'm here for a scoop?!"

"We know nothing about her, nor her intentions in coming here" Lord Harris scolds before trying to appeal to Alistair. "She could be using you to get information-"

"UNBELIEVABLE! You wanna know my intentions?!" I question almost manically. "I intend to keep your son as far away from you and this place for the rest of my life! And trust and believe that that's only the beginning!" I screech unable to keep it. "I intend to fill the void where your love should've been, with as many happy memories and fulfilled dreams as possible! And not only do I intend to steal him away from you and every other evil threat floating in the universe determined to make him feel insecure or insignificant, but I'm going to ensure that his future is bright and full of adventure and every wonderful thing happiness can produce!" I bellow causing everyone in the room except for Alistair to jump. "And if any one of you dare to even think of disrupting his happiness-"

"Oh yeah?" Trevor taunts taking a step towards me. "What exactly can you do?"

My hand goes to whip out my wand but Alistair clamps onto my wrist preparing to drag me out as I'm still charging for his cousin. "Believe me buddy, you don't wanna see what I can do! You'd be surprised what they teach us at that school for freaks!" I practically spit and it causes Catherine to reverb. 

"You mean-" She gasps and I nod arrogantly as everyone understands what I mean, and both Dylan and Trevor take a step back. 

"You actually brought someone like her, here?!" Lord Harris snarls. 

"In case you haven't noticed, Dad, we're one in the same. But as of tonight, that's no longer your concern," Alistair defends tugging me out of the room and we head down the hall to exit. A young girl sits on the steps of the staircase and Alistair drops my hand to jog over to her. "Look out for my letters, yeah?" He says wiping her cheeks roughly because she's crying. "And after term ends, as soon as I'm settled, you can come and visit me. Or stay if things become unbearable, Gia."

"I'll manage," she sniffles wrapping him tightly in a hug. 

"And no matter what they say, I didn't leave you, alright? I'm not walking out on you," he adds kissing the top of her head. "If you ever need me, I'm right there. No matter what."

"I know. I'll see you, I just want you happy," she smiles giving him another squeeze. "And it sounds as if someone is going to make sure that happens," she teases glancing at me. "...Now get out of here."

He kisses her cheek one final time before taking out his wand and everyone begins shouting for him to put it away. He grabs my hand and in one swift motion he shuts every curtain hanging in front of the windows, before producing the largest and most beautiful butterfly I've ever seen in my life right in the middle of the foyer. It's easily the size of a car and it flaps it's enormous wings in a series of flutters forcing it to dance and cause gust storms of colors. Literally everyone is losing their except for Gia who's praising Alistair for the enchantment in between her gleeful cheers. 

"ALISTAIR! YOU GET RID OF THIS THING! RIGHT NOW!" Lord Harris yells at our backs as Alistair marches us out of the estate and off of the grounds. 

We walk in silence with Alistair's fury powering our every step, and I don't say a word not knowing what to say, but also knowing there is absolutely nothing I could say that would make this better. We walk until we're back in town at the train station and I plop down on the benches grateful for a place to rest. It's empty except for an attendant who's fast asleep in the ticket-booth, so I kick off my shoes flexing my feet around.

"Aww, I'm sorry Gwen."

"For what?" I ask breathlessly before giving him a tired smile. "Do me favor? Take out your broom."

"My head's not really in a good space to fly."

"I'll get us back to London, all you have to do is hang on."

He gives me a dry look. "You hate flying."

"Well, I don't have much of a choice do I. Riding the train is out, and we can't apparate or use Floo Powder, so I'm just gonna have to it up. Besides, it's the fastest way to get back to the pub," I explain and he sighs standing up to take out his trunk from his back pocket. He surprises me by summoning his broom and enlarging it before helping me with my shoes. We walk back outside off to the side and Alistair mounts his broom motioning me to hop on the back. "You're sure?"

"Positive," he breathes.

I secure everything onto me determined not to lose my wand or anything else of importance before swinging my leg over and burying my face into his back. He kicks off the ground and we rise higher and higher into the sky, keeping the ride smooth and gentle as we soar in between the clouds. The air is chilly and crisp and I squeeze Alistair even tighter to me, refusing to let him go even after we've settled back down to the ground. 

I feel heavy and sleepy the entire trek to my room, and I'm thankful it's so late (or early depending on how you look at it), so we don't have to trudge through the crowd of the Leaky Cauldron. It's just Jack and a few stragglers spread throughout the pub. We climb the stairs towards my room and I unlock my suite allowing us both inside.

The fire in the fireplace blazes to life upon our entrance and I kick off the uncomfortable heels making my way to the bathroom. "Make yourself at home". I change into my pj's and brush my teeth, taking down my hair from the pins in order to shake down my curls. When I walk out, he's standing over by the fireplace staring into the fire. "I know the kitchen's closed, but I'm sure Jack could whip up something if you're hungry," I say trying to break his concentration but it doesn't work. 

I nod to myself understanding his need to remain quiet. He's been through so much this week, I can only imagine how he must be feeling. 

We don't talk but I'm able to relax a bit when he chooses a spot for his trunk and begins to unpack some of his things. I try not to watch him focusing on climbing into bed and tucking myself in. Even after he's changed and crawled in beside me I don't snuggle up to him like I want too, reviewing my actions and behavior today he probably feels as if I'm smothering him. God knows I haven't really given him a chance to breathe without me, and now inviting him back to my suite-

"What is it?" He asks worriedly and I grimace before turning to face him. 

"Nothing, it's just that if it's going to be weird between us-"

"Are things weird between us?"

"No, but-"

"So, what's wrong?"

I twist my mouth on the verge of blurting how I feel, and I take a deep breath to slow down the urge. "A lot happened today. And if you need space from me, it's cool."

"Space?" He repeats dryly before starting to smile. 

"Yes," I pout trying to keep serious. "I know I can be overbearing. And I sort of exploded on your family, even when you asked me to stay out of it, and I promise you I tried-" I break knowing I'm going off-topic. "My point is, if you need to work through stuff without me-"

"Gwen, there's nothing I need to work through," he says pinching my nose playfully. "And I know today was huge, this entire week so far has been..." He trails and I start wincing. "Intense, to say the least. But it's not because of you. This week was guaranteed to be hard regardless, we tackled three milestones with only one of them being something I want to repeat," he smiles blushing a little. "And if you don't get over here," he flirts tugging me so I'll fall into his arms and I land onto him with a laugh. He kisses my forehead a few times, wrapping his arms around me to hug me tight. "Thank you."

"Consider us even," I smile burrowing myself into his hold and falling asleep.