Cure For Boils

Another Year...

Gwen's POV

(The Owlry...)

"I don't know Jareth, maybe I should tell him" I sigh resting my cheek in my hand, his front. He leans in to nuzzle his head to mine, and I exhale even harder. "I mean, what's the worst that could happen? Right?"

I twist my mouth contemplating the possibilities, and with each scenario I feel myself drift even further and further away from him...

"It's barely been a day and I'm this miserable without seeing him," I half laugh seeing how bad I've got it. "...I have to tell him," I decide and Jareth hoots lazily in approval. "I guess I should do it now before I lose the nerve?" I wince before shaking my head and deciding more firmly on my choice. "I'm going to do it now...Right now."

I kiss the top of the owl's head and brush by the others causing a few ruffled feathers, but gather my things to head for Transfiguration. Which now that I think about it, is the perfect chance to talk to him since we're in the same class.

"Professor Burton,' I wince entering the classroom, and she sends me a knowing smile. I roll my eyes before taking my seat. 

I settle into my spot, beginning to take out my notes and wand setting them to the side preparing for today's lesson. I look to the chalkboard and immediately become disinterested, because we're starting a new unit which means lots of note taking. Not to mention, it's a topic I've gone over so many times before while studying at Ilvermorny.

I turn around in my seat a bit anxious to see Alistair. 

If we don't walk together, he usually meets me in class a bit earlier so we can talk for a few minutes before Professor Burton starts her lesson. But today he walks in a minute before class starts, filing in with the rest of his crew. I give him a slight smile, and he just ducks his head in response before turning around and making a joke with his other friend. 

I turn to face the board feeling a bit snubbed, but I tell myself that as soon as I come clean about how I feel about him things are sure to change for the better. 

I spend the entire lesson working out what I'm going to say to him, instead of focusing on her borderline remidial introduction to Human Transfiguration-

"Ms. Collins."

My head pops up from the doodles on my notebook. "Yes, Professor?"

"Is it true that Ilvermorny introduces Human-Transfigurations during your second year of attendance?"

Literally everyone's eyes peer slowly to fall on me, waiting for my response. "Yes Professor...Our history is unfortunately rich with persecution and intolerance, so our curriculum reflects the need for American witches and wizards to adapt to anything. With special emphasis on remaining inconspicuous."

"I don't think I've ever heard cowardice described so beautifully," Heidi comments earning a few snickers, and I roll my eyes focusing on Professor Burton. "I'm serious...you make hiding with your tail between your legs sound poetic."

"That's enough, Ms. Brownstein," Professor Burton says. "So, Ms. Collins. Would you mind if I put you on the spot for a slight demonstration?"

"M-Me, Prof-Professor?" I grimace and she nods encouragingly. "I-I don't know. I mean, I'm comfortable with small transfigurations. Hair color. Eye color. Weight-"

"You mean, she actually chooses to stay that fat?" Tanya snides so that the whole class can hear, and Heidi cackles in unashamed laughter.

My eyes narrow as my nose flares, but I'm somehow able to transform it into a smile. "Actually, on second thought. I'd be happy to perform a demonstration..." I say standing up from my desk and taking out my wand. "It's about time someone else is the of the joke," I say with an elegant flick of my wand and a growing smile on my face. 

"Oh ple-HAW" Tanya brays before clamping shut as a pair of long, donkey ears sprout from the top of her head and the whole class errupts in a fit of laughter.

Heidi attempts to counter my transfiguration, but seeing as how I've added a slight twist to my spell all she ends up doing is making things worse for her friend. And with every swish of her wand, she's pushing the transformation towards a full manifestation of a donkey. Her nose is already stretching and growing in order to form a snout, and Tanya hees and haws in reaction probably begging Heidi to stop. 

"Professor Burton! Do something!" Heidi screams as Tanya begins to bucks her body free from her desk, her hair already beginning to free itself from her signature ballet-bun and sprouting into a mane.

"Alright, settle down" Professor Burton sighs uninterested before waving her wand, and Tanya gripes in pain clutching as her teeth overlap and drop from under her lips. Professor Burton looks over to me before raising her eyebrows, signaling the fact that she's impressed and I purse my lips, close my eyes and give a satisfied nod acknowledging her small notion of praise. "Class dismissed...Come along, Ms. Griffin. Let's get you to the Hospital Wing, seeing as how Ms. Collins did quite the little number for her demonstration."

"LITTLE NUMBER! She's got a tail!" Heidi stands up with a shrill screech, as Professor Burton ushers Tanya out of the classroom. "This isn't over Collins! You better watch yourself!"

"You know your threats start to lose weight, when your actions remain mediocre," I snide. "I've been waiting for you to pull something since I stepped off the train. And all you've done this entire year, is is prove me right in thinking that you're an utter disappointment drowning with envy..Trust and believe you don't wanna mess with me," I glare. "Because God knows, I'm capable of much more than making an of you and your friends."

With a final howl, Heidi grabs her things and storming out to follow her friend. Everyone else continues to stare at me, and for the first time I'm not avoiding their looks. I'm staring back at them, slowly panning to each of their faces silently daring any of them to say anything. What surprises me, is the fact that one of the other students initiates a 'slow-clap', causing everyone else to join in. I glance around the space, hesitant of the smiling faces and cheers surrounding me. 

"That was wicked, Collins!"

"in' brilliant!"

" of the joke!" Another kid chortles. "Cause she's a donkey!"

I smile all the way up until I see Alistair's face, and then his look of apprehension out all of the enjoyment I had about the situation. Little by little the classroom empties, and he shakes his head with a heavy sigh before getting up to leave. He slings his bag over his shoulder preparing to walk out.

"Alistair!" I call out to him, in order to get his attention. He turns around to look at me, and I take in a deep breath stirring my courage once more before walking towards him. "...Do you have a minute...to talk?"

"If it's about the homework, or you're looking for a study partner-"

"Actually," I chirp, wanting to confess everything before I lose my nerve. "I wanted to tell you, that..." I pause waiting for a few more people to exit the classroom. "You were right. I do like you."

He blinks his eyes at least six times in a row, saying absolutely nothing. And because the silence is unbearably uncomfortable and I have to fill it, I take it as an opportunity to really explain how I feel. 

"You already know that I care a lot about you, I just didn't have the nerve to tell you why until now..." I smile shyly. "But there's no use in denying the obvious, especially if omitting the truth is causing you pain. And...I swear, hurting you is the last thing I ever wanted to do, because you're that special to me," I admit, feeling my emotions for him spill over. "...Spending time getting to know you has been the greatest treasure Hogwart's has given me. And I know we only have a few months left of school, and the odds of being together afterwards are practically non-exsistent..." I expel feeling my tangent draw to a conclusion. "But in that time, I'd happily devote myself to you as your girlfriend, creating as many wonderful memories as our hearts could withstand..." I shake my head suddenly realizing how it all probably sounds, and attempt to correct myself. "In addition to the ones we already have. Of-Of course," I wince becoming embarrassed. 

I'm breathing even harder, feeling like I've just sprinted up twenty-flights of stairs. Blood is pounding all the way into my ears, and my fingers are beginning to tingle from the adrenaline. 

Alistair on the other hand just stares at me blankly...

The seconds tick by painfully, dragging out what probably is the most vulnerable part of my concious exsistence. I'm fairly certain that the silence is invisibly encircling itself around my throat, in order to slowly suffocate the very life out of me. 

"..Fred?" I bark impatiently, and he jumps a little. "Okay, can you please just say something. I mean, now would be a really awesome time to say...anything."

I feel my face fall in despair, all the while watching him for any signs of a reaction. 

He blinks a few more times in a row, before allowing the dopiest lopsided grin to spread across his face. 

"Fred," I smile pushing lightly against him, and he sways backwards raking his hands through his hair like he's just been awaken from the sweetest dream. He opens his mouth to speak but no words come out, not that he really needs too. His elation illuminates his entire face. His dark brown eyes almost a bright tawny from pure happiness. 

And for a solid minute, everything in my world is perfect...

Until a voice and a pair of hands snake around his waist, pulling him further away from me from behind. "There you are! I've been looking all over for you-"

"No-No-No-No-No!" He rushes out, shaking his head and she spins herself to a perfect stop directly in front of him. "You don't have-"

My stomach gripes in revulsion and pain as soon as her lips touch his cheek. The contact between them seems to extend forver, and even though it's most likely a peck on the cheek my mind can't help but classify it as a full on make-out session. 

All that I've told him begins to replay itself obnoxiously within my brain, and I'm cringing at the fact that I've said far too much. Shame is beginning to collect and pool like an underground spring at Yellowstone National Park, preparing to burst. 

Her arms wrap lovingly around his neck, pulling him down to nuzzle him a bit closer and I feel like I could puke right then and there. His arms wind up to change her hold, allowing their bodies to elminate space; her vivacious figure no doubt enticing his to peak. I watch jealously as his wonderfully muscular arms hug and fit around her body, almost as if to wrestle her off and she giggles and laughs like I'm not standing less than three feet away. 

"We're still getting together after lunch, aren't we?" She asks cheerfully, barely even acknowledging me. "Oh...Hiya-Gwen," she smiles finally noticing me. 

I wince and nod unable to answer, afraid that if I open my mouth Fiendfyre will come out instead of words. 

I've never felt this strongly before. Nor this conflicted. I am so embarrassed, I feel like I could just claw my own eyes out for days at the fact that I revealed so much. How could I have told him all that I did?! Was I trying to make an utter fool of myself? Well, if so...mission ING completed.

The only silver lining to all of this is the fact that it's Sheva Campbell, another girl in our year; and not Heidi. Everything else about her is almost too close for comfort. Like she's similar to me, but...better. She's a little taller than me maybe 5'7 or 5'8, so she has an easier time trapping him in a hug than I do. Like they fit and are proportionatly matched in regards to body weight and height. Her hair is natrually long and shiny, that swirls gracefully in these quarter fat ringlets that bounce happily around her face, but somehow magically don't get caught in her eyes and super-model plump mouth. Her skin is so beautifully rich in melanin, I almost could punch myself in the face because of how it just naturally glows. Unlike mine, where I have to apply a -ton of highlighter and pray to God that I don't look like Tinkerbell farted repeatedly in my face...

We share the same almond shaped eyes but hers are a warm hazel brown making her seem even more hypnotic, no doubt adding a seductive layer of mystery. Mine are so black they're almost beady. And I'm too awkward to make those 'come-hither' stares. My eyes are perfect for intense glares of irritation or anger, and the ominous color seems more suitable for a galaxy backdrop, not for appearing kind and approachable... 

She's also in Gryffindor, which also means she's automatically well liked. I haven't seen a Gryffindor yet, whose had trouble making or keeping friends. It's not in their nature, they're always a good time. Bold and boisterous personalities that somehow make you feel included in their amusement, infectious personalities you just want to submerge yourself in. 

She's beautiful and outgoing, and funny in an effortless sort of way. People understand her references and she doesn't need a half hour to explain a joke so that people will laugh...

I hate to admit it, but he could do worse. And as much as I hate how this turned out, at least I can find comfort in the fact that he chose someone better than me. Not that I think lowly of myself, it's just that...she's likeable. People would understand why he'd date her, she's more his speed. It'd be easier to support his decision if he were happy...

And even though I'm 100% seething, only 20% of my rage is aimed at him because he made it seem like he had been waiting for me! I mean, we've only stopped talking for like a ing day! Not even! How could he have moved on so quickly! And if he ever gave me the slightest inkling that he was liking someone else, I never would said all that I did. I would've happily taken my feelings to the grave, just like I've done with every other crush I've had-

"Gwen?"

"Hm?" I answer, zoning back into the conversation. 

"I said I can explain-"

"You don't have to say anything. I'm happy for you," I get out perfectly, even with my mouth going dry in a frail attempt to get me to stop talking. I swallow hard and smile encouragingly, beginning to nod a bit too much but at this point I will say or do just about anything to get out of there. "...It was a good talk, yeah?"

"But you don't-"

"It's fine, Alistair. Just..fine" I strain gritting my teeth. "I'll see you around...Sheva," I acknowledge,  packing my things in one swift motion and leaving. 

"GWEN! Wait!" He shouts and I push myself even faster out of his sight. 

 

Alistair's POV

(A Few Hours Later. Potions Class...)

"Sleeping Draught?" I question coming up the side of her, and she shifts slighty at my approach stepping closer towards her cauldron. This is still a good sign, even though she's not speaking to me. It lets me know she's not as deep in concentration as she would have me to believe. Usually, during Potions she's so focused I can't really talk to her until after she's completed the assignment. But the fact that she moved, gives me enough hope that she'll give me a chance to explain. "...We reviewed that months ago, why are you brewing it again?" 

"Considering the level of mortification I am currently forced to dwell in, I am brewing this potion with the hope that it will earn me a peaceful night's sleep rather than the endless cycles of anxiety and overthinking that are attempting to consume me even as we speak, due to my earlier actions," she recites breathing raggedly, as if she's on the verge of tears. She wipes her face quickly, gives a single sniffle before flipping back to a page of her book.

"How long are you going to keep avoiding me?"

"Until graduation," she answers with a watery chuckle, before shaking her head and sniffling. "I honestly hope after this class to never have to speak to you again...And it's not because of anything you did. I'm just that embarrassed."

My heart aches hearing how serious she is, even though she said it with a convincing smile. This could potentially be my last conversation with her...

"What do you want, Fred?" She asks coolly, noticing that I haven't said anything or left. And since she's making things so difficult, I have no choice but to lay it all out on the line.

"I just want to talk-"

"Can't I at least keep my pride? You've moved on-" She huffs, attempting to keep her tone and temper under control. "...There's no reason for you to feel like you owe me an explanation."

"Gwen-"

"I said I was happy for you, and if you're happy that's all that matters."

"I don't think I'll ever be happy, until you give me a solid chance to say that this is all just some huge misunderstanding."

"Alistair, please-"

"I'm not really with Sheva," I blurt, hoping it will fix everything. 

Gwen looks up from her cauldron and for the briefest second her eyes soften with belief, before she blinks it away replacing it with skepticism and sarcasm. 

"You're not really with her? What does that even mean?" She smiles, shaking her head returning to her work. "On second thought, nevermind. I really don't feel like trying to figure out the meanings behind your technicalities."

"Sheva's only pretending to date me, so that you get jealous."

"I don't believe you."

"Why?"

"Because it's farfetched," she laughs. "What girl in the 21st century, would actually agree to subject another girl to a plan that would ultimately belittle the complexity, that is femininity; to the most simplistic social construct of attaining a man?"   

It takes me a solid minute to deconstruct what she's said, instead of mindlessly swimming around within her heightened vocabulary. And my answer is so simple, I can't help but smile while giving it. "...Sheva. It was her idea!"

"Ugh!"

"It's true."

"I still don't believe you, seeing as how no girl would be that dumb to involve herself in such a plan."

"She would because we're friends, and I was desperate..." I admit, trying my hardest to ignore the small audience we've gained. "I still am..." She stares at me a few moments before sighing and returning her focus to her book. "Just talk to me. Please?"

"I need to focus on my potion."

"It's really important-"

"If I agree to talk to you, then can I get back to work?"

"Only if you really mean it, then yeah" I smirk knowing how good of a liar she can be, and she scrunches her nose no doubt looking for a loophole in my request. 

"Ugh. Fine," she answers, allowing the corners of to tighten in reluctance. 

"Swear it."

"I swear it," she hisses and I nod leaning away from her station to walk back to mine. 

The remaining hour or so of class passes quickly, and after Professor Slughorn has reviewed and graded our potions we pack up our materials and begin clearing away our work-stations. The class empties out slowly, and I pack my bag and sling it across my shoulder before walking out to wait for her. She comes out a minute or two after me, fixing her face in it's signature expression emitting annoyance and impatience all at the same time and I somehow feel myself fall for her all over again.

"Alright, Xiang" she sighs. "What is it that's so important?"

"It's a bit noisy down here," I frown like it's a huge inconvenience. "Maybe we could go to our spot-"

"Here's fine," she answers curtly, fighting off a smile. "What's going on?"

I glance around making sure no one is close by, and whisper "Muffliato..." and immediately it's as if we're encased in a humming bubble. I smile sightly impressed with myself and look back at her, for a minute it's like she's forgotten that she's lowkey upset with me. And all of the wonderful things that fill me to the brim with happiness because of her, seem to just spill and share between us. The moment grows between us, but she shakes her head refusing to get caught up. 

"You wanted to talk to me?"

"Yes," I nod remembering the urgency of my problem. "It's about the invite you got."

"What about it?"

"I don't want you to come," I explain, and her dark eyes widen pooling in the surrounding light from the stone torches.

"You don't," she repeats faintly and I nod. "...May I ask why?"

"Well, for starters I don't think it's safe. In fact it seems like a set-up. And after your stunt in Transfigurations today, someone is bound to try and get even."

"I see...Well, thank you for telling me," she nods, preparing to exit our bubble of safety. "I'll be sure to keep my guard up."

"Wait," I say blocking her path. "...Why does it sound like you're still planning to attend?"

"Because I am. I have every intention of going," she states naturally.

"But you heard what I just said, didn't you?"

"Yes, and I appreciate the warning. But in all honesty, you aren't telling me anything I wasn't already expecting. It's too good to be true."

"Then why subject yourself to unnecessary humiliation?"

"I thought you of all people would be proud," she teases, brandishing a beautifully wide smile attempting to distract me from the hurt within her eyes. "I'm finally taking a risk..having fun, just like you wanted."

"I didn't mean for it to go like this," I admit. "And if something awful happens-"

"I remember the rules," she prepares herself before giving the rest of her speech. "If something should go wrong, no snitching or outside help. If I get caught, I have to suffer the consequences or figure it out the best way-"

"Don't, do this...Please. I was an idiot for saying anything about the way you are, let alone to my friends. I never meant for you to hear it, and it isn't at all how I think of you..." I beg, knowing there's no changing her mind. "I was upset and frustrated, and I wanted you to admit that you liked me without worrying about the opinions of everyone else-" I blurt, watching her face soften. "You don't have anything to prove...Especially to me," I say finally realizing that, I'm the reason she's putting herself through this. 

She stares at me blankly, no doubt emotionally shutting me out until Chasity Rowland, a sixth year Hufflepuff prances over to us. She extends a golden envelope towards Gwen with a taunting sneer, and Gwen takes it with a heavy sigh as Chasity leaves. I'm glaring as hard as I can at Chasity until she reaches our Common Room Entrance, she's on The Council

"Don't read it," I warn desperately, but it's too late. Gwen's eyes are already scanning the letter. "What does it say?"

She looks back up at me and gives me a smile. Her eyes begin to brim, and my heart stretches in pain seeing her struggle. It all begins to make sense...

This party isn't important, but what it represents is. Acceptance. And I know Gwen could care less about what people think of her. She's been teased and pranked all year all the while staying true to herself, her values and morals. Her heart is just as sincere and compassionate. And she's able to look beyond outward appearances in order to find what makes someone special. Being the odd man out isn't an insult to her, if anything she almost prides herself in the distinction of being different...

But I changed things for her. And it's because of me, she cares now. And her logic is so simple, I feel guilty for having a part in any of this. Because she feels that if she can her reputation at school, maybe it won't be so hard for us to be together...

"Gwen, you don't have to-"

Before I even finish my sentence, her skin is already starting to bubble and fill with white and yellow puss filled breakouts that are on the verge of bursting. Bumps and boils form covering every inch of her face, even to the point of her eyelids making them redden and swell almost to the point of shutting. Her face looks swollen and sore, and I grimace at how thorough she made her spell. 

My hand snatches the letter from hers to see what it said, and I gripe reading the words:

Your invitation is on the verge of suspension, unless you make it good, Collins.

And stay away from ALISTAIR XIANG!

I look back at her face and scowl, angry at how helpless I feel.

"See you around, Al?" She croaks through tightend, half-cracked lips, and my heart fissures knowing whenever she says that it means the exact opposite.

"Yeah! You will!" I bellow unable to keep my it in any longer. I grab her hand, forcefully tugging her along to drag us both towards the root of the problem. My friends are hanging out in the corridor outside the Great Hall, posted up as usual next to the grand staircase. And when they see us coming they immediately start ripping into her. 

"Holy ! She's hideous!"

"Hideous! She's positively tragic!"

"How can you stand to touch her?"

They continue to laugh, and I feel her try and wiggle her hand free from my grip but I squeeze it even harder keeping her by my side. 

"What the is your problem?" I begin, and their faces change seeing how upset I am. "We're all supposed to be mates! Why are you still going after the girl I like?"

"You know the rules, Xiang" Anderson, a blonde haired fifth year Ravenclaw sneers. "She's not one of our group."

"Well, the rules are bollocks!" I snap, feeling myself almost tear-up. "And if the rules are hurting someone in the group, why should we continue to enforce them? It's stupid to limit ourselves in matters of the heart, so why is everyone so adamently against my choice."

"Because you're mental," Heidi laughs. "Especially if you're going to like someone like her...I mean, just look at her. She's disgusting."

"She's beautiful," I snarl. "Even with a face full of boils, she's a thousand times prettier than you."

"I highly doubt that," Heidi smirks tossing her hair dramatically. 

"She has the better heart," I add firmly. "She's wonderfully kind, and sincere. And even though she has every right to brag about how incredible she is, she's still chill and down to earth."

"More like she crawled out of the earth," Rosalind jeers earning a few laughs. 

"Get over yourselves," I groan because they're being so petty. "...She isn't afraid to make a fool of herself for the right cause...or person," I say looking at her and she squeezes my hand. "And if she makes me happy, as my friends that's all that should matter."

"Then I guess we can't be friends then," Heidi steps forward gesturing towards the group, and I scan each of there faces testing to see if she's speaking for the rest of them. They all remain silent, so she continues. "...Is one Death-Eater, really worth sacrificing all that we've been through, together. The family that we've built since our first year?"

"You tell me, Heidi. You're the one drawing the line in the sand. Just because it didn't work out between us," I quip and she scoffs. "And in all honesty, I never truly felt that you wanted it too."

"How could you say that?" She recoils. "All that I've helped you through? Your issues at home? The insecurities about yourself. Who was it that made you what you are? You think you became so fit on your own?"

"There's more to me than the image you think you created. You never cared to get to know me," I explain. "All you ever did was try to change me."

"I made you better," she smirks. "No girl would ever have looked twice at you, if I had never taken an interest. And honestly? Why should they?"

Gwen charges her body forward attempting to grab her, but I jerk her arm backwards to keep Heidi out of her reach. 

"You're less than ordinary without me."

"I'm also a lot happier," I jibe happy I was able to get one in. Gwen is so much better at the cool-one liners than I am, but clearly being around her is starting to rub off for the better. 

"Oh yeah? We'll see just how happy you'll be, after a week or two of dating the likes of her," she threatens. "If you two even make it that long...I give it six hours before you come to your senses."

"I wouldn't hold your breath," I snide guiding Gwen to follow me. "Then again, on second thought..."

Gwen gives a soft, breathy chuckle showing her amusement before she winces in pain. I roll my eyes hard tugging her even faster back down into the dungeons. I take her back to the Potions Classroom, and lead her to one of the stools near my work stations and sit her down. 

She exhales hard watching me bustle about the room, heading over to the supplies station in order to gather the necessary ingredients in order to make a Cure for Boils.

"...I could do it."

"You can barely see," I grumble taking out my text book in order to follow the instructions. "Besides...I want too."

"...Thanks," she adds after a moment of just watching me set up my cauldron. "But since I added something extra, it's going to require something stronger than the standard Cure for Boils."

"You and your magical plot-twists," I grunt seeing how this won't be as easy as I expected. But then again, nothing with her ever is. When I look back to her, she gives me a sore smile before wincing and rubbing her rippled cheeks. My hand cups her face, brushing my fingertips over the rough surface. "Why couldn't you have done a simple Pimple-Jinx, and be done with it?"

"They said 'make it good'" she chuckles, resting a little within the small hold. "Besides, it's just a small hex. It'll clear up in time..."

My stare hardens slowly realizing the hidden meaning behind her words, and my hand falls from her face. "You're still planning to go?"

She twists , nibbling on her bottom lip to keep from really smiling. "...You're still upset," she winces from my reaction, and I ignore her returning my attention to lighting my bunsen-burner. 

"Of course I'm still upset. I commit social-suicide-"

"I didn't ask nor expect you to-"

"Will you shut up and let me finish, before you bite my head off in another misunderstanding?" I quip defensively, breathing a little heavier than normal.

My heart pounds faster than I've ever known it too, and I've gone through so many emotions within the past 48hrs I didn't think I could be this deep. And this girl has the potential to be so many different things I can't choose which one to focus on. Like do I find her irritatingly stubborn for possibly putting herself in harms way or unbelievably brave for deciding to see it through no matter the danger...Is she utterly impossible because she always seems to choose the path of most resistence or simply magnificent because she's always five steps ahead of everyone else, making her always come out on top...And am I somewhat disgusted by the borderline oozing breakouts on her face, or immensely flattered that she likes me to the point of disfigurement? Like, how do I process any of this?

I take in a deep breath, before deciding to reveal my heart. "...Me choosing to be with you is not the problem. I'd do it again without question," I expel and she makes a face. "I'm angry at the fact that I just tried to prove to you, how much I like you and you somehow still don't get it," I scowl. "I don't care what anyone has to say, or what you feel you have to do. I'm giving you an out not to go through with this. And your Slytherin tendencies are even more frustrating than usual, because there's nothing that I've said or done to change your mind."

She opens a little to dispute what I've said, but when she can't she closes it pursing her lips.

I glare at her a little seeing just how right I am, and I shake my head disappointedly. "You can't even deny it."

"Not honestly, no" she smiles. "But if it helps, you're only partially right."

"Partially?"

"Yes," she nods. "When I initially got the invite, I saw it as a chance and had every intention of making an honest attempt at getting your group to like me," she explains, and I listen intently. "...But now that I know that that's no longer feasable..." she pauses choosing the most accurate depiction of what she desires to say. "I just want to slay."

"...Slay?"

"Mhm-hmm," she nods even more with a growing smile. "Don't get me wrong, I wanted to go for you. But now, I want revenge. And I want it on their playing field, by their rules..." she smirks confidently. "I've only been sharing a small part of who I really am. But the other part of me, wants to break out and stunt on every son of a who's tried to come for me this past year."

My face changes hearing her voice get stronger. 

"So...yeah. If I have to make myself painfully ugly for the next two weeks, I'll gladly do it. Because at that party, I am going to be the envy of everyone there," she adds allowing her voice to darken. "Especially if I'm draped on the arm of Alistair Xiang."

My face hardens not liking the ending of her speech. It's too close for comfort, and it reminds me of Heidi and how she used to sound.

"So...you're just like the rest of them?" I snark. "Only interested in me for the popularity? The Quidditch-Star? The Comic-Relief?"

"You honestly think I like you because you can bounce a ball off a broomstick?" She sasses effortlessly in one breath. "Or that your popular and ridiculously good-looking?"

"Well according to Heidi, there isn't much else."

"I'm not Heidi, and I thought our time together proved that," she answers. "My reasons for liking you aren't on the surface, I discovered each one on my own. And even if no one else found you interesting enough to want to pick you, I would."

My expression softens hearing her, and every breath I take is a sensory reminder as to what's happening between us sending me small round of chills throughout my body.

"You're emotionally strong and you keep me grounded. And you're the perfect reminder that genuine kindness and an innate sense of honor still exist in the world," she continues. "Everyone thinks you're the coolest person at this school, but I'm pretty sure I'm the first one to ever really say why. And maybe it is a Slytherin-Tendency," she wrinkles her nose mockingly. "But I got the right answer, in the quickest time starting later than everyone else. So, yeah...I wanna gloat a little. Because you're better than anything anyone could dream up, just by being you..."

My body sinks slowly to the floor, placing my head in between my knees taking in deep breaths. She crouches beside me to check if I'm okay, and my eyes tear up a bit from sheer happiness. 

"Al? AL!" She shakes me a little harder because she's worried. "Are you okay?"

I take in another deep breath and let it out with a sigh, looking back up to her. She looks like I should take her up to Prof. Flitwick, and have her audition as my toad for the Frog Choir...

I feel myself starting to lean in to kiss her, and she freaks out. "ALISTAIR XIANG!"

"WHAT?!"

"YOU ARE NOT GOING TO KISS ME, LIKE THIS!"

"I don't care," I say stealing a kiss by pecking her quickly on her cheek. "I'm so happy and you're so beautiful-"

"You're such a liar," she laughs swatting me away.

"But you are," I smile feeling a tear roll down my cheek. "No amount of magic could change that."

"I still don't want you to kiss me while I'm like this," she whines a little. "Besides, I'm pretty sure it's against the rules of my invitation."

"Ugh! You're still goin' on about that?"

"Yeah," she emphasises with another chuckle. "What part of I-Still-Want-To-Go, don't you get? I sigh deeply and she gives me another smile. "It's only for two weeks, and then we can be together openly."

"We're together now," I grumble, before the realization truly settles in and then I start smiling. "We're really together?" I laugh and she rolls her eyes, and then that makes me question whether or not we are. "Are-Aren't we?"

"Merlin's-Beard! YES!" She shouts before burrying her face in her hands, and then getting up from her position with a laugh, . "I'll see you later, Fred."

FredIt sounds sweeter somehow, giving me another wonderful round of chills until I realize she's leaving. "Wait!"

"What."

"How are we supposed to talk if we can't be near each other?"

"Well, I know it's old fashioned but I always prided Hogwarts for upholding the use of it's postal system."

"Why couldn't you just ask me to write you a letter?" I scoff and she laughs again exiting the potions classroom.