Teenagers

Another Year...

Alistair's POV

(Another Day or So Later, Saturday-Morning. The Hospital-Wing...)

"I can't believe it..." I say slowly allowing the different parts of her story to settle in.

"I know it's your Huffle-Fluff nature to see the best in people," she teases with a short laugh. "But Heidi isn't above breaking my mother's wand, just to get back at me."

"No, not that. I meant you..." I clarify and Gwen frowns still confused. "You sacrificed a piece of your mom...for me."

I watch her eyes fall to her hands as she begins to fidget with them bashfully. She begins nibbling on her bottom lip, before wrinkling her nose and taking a deep breath preparing to change the subject. "It's not as cool as you make it sound, besides I wasn't that attached to that stupid, old stick any-"

"Gwen," I say interrupting her lie, and the longer I continue to stare at her the more she fails at trying to appear unaffected. She once told me that a wand was essentially the physical representation or essence of a person, and it was the only part of her mother she got to experience firsthand so I don't care how tough she is or tries to be; this was a huge loss for her. "I know what it meant."

Her eyes practically flutter from her constantly blinking back her tears, and as soon as they begin to spill she brushes them away before they can really fall. "Bright-side?" She chuckles trying to appearing lighthearted, all the while tapping the corners of her eyes to keep from really crying, and that pains me more than anything. "I-uh," she says still wiping her face. "Get to go to Ollivander's...Get a prop-uh wand," she adds playfully in her Cockney dialect. She sniffles again and I feel almost hollow seeing her fight the urge to really cry. "Which is probably a blessing in disguise, seeing as how our NEWTs are the week after we get back."

"So, what are you going to do for the break?"

She winces hard starting to explain. "I talked to my Dad and he said that because this trip was so short notice he can't fly out to meet me in London, so I'll probably just make arrangements to stay at the Leaky Cauldron. Because the other alternative is not, an option."

"Other option?"

She sighs heavily before shaking her head and giving me a look as if to say 'Whatever It Is Is Not Only Irrelevant But Highly Time Consuming, And I Don't Really Feel Like Putting In The Effort To Explain Something I've Already Decided Against'; and I nod letting my curiosity go because the fact that we could potentially have an extension on our relationship is definitely more important.

"But if you're gonna be in London, it only makes sense that you spend the break with me."

Her face remains blank for the slightest moment as my offer hangs in the air, before allowing the shadow of her hope to touch the corners of her wonderfully full lips with a smile. It brightens her face for one glorious and shining second before she wrinkles her nose and immediately begins to brush away the notion with logic-

"What. What now?" I beg already becoming frustrated at the thought of her denying me more time with her. Because I already know she's preparing herself to tell me 'No'. "Why can't you just go with your first instinct and tell me yes? Don't you think we'd have fun together?"

"It's not about having fun, it's about deepening something we ultimately can't finish. The term is almost over."

"Again with D-Day!" I groan and she covers to muffle her chuckle. "...Look can I ask you something?" She shrugs her shoulders letting me know that I can, and I sit a little higher within my hospital bed. "If we had forever to be together-"

"Oh, goodness!" She groans covering her entire face.

"No! Hear me out," I say reaching for her hands and tugging them down gently. "If there was a way we could stay together, after graduation..." I say squeezing them a little, hoping she can see how badly I want to. "Would you still want to?"

She looks at me sorrowfully, and I feel my heart fissure within my chest thinking she's about to crush me to my core. "...Without question," she replies reluctantly honest because I know she never would've told me so on her own.

My head tilts as the biggest grin begins to stretch confidently across my face, and she shakes her head wriggling her hands-free from my grip to wave them erratically in front of herself as if she's attempting to erase her admission.

"You can't read into that!"

"How else am I supposed to take it?" I grin smugly, resting against the pillows propping me up. Ugh, I feel so good I swear I could fly without a broom.

"Like it won't make any difference," she adds hopelessly realistic. "I can already see where you're trying to go with this conversation, so stop talking before you really start to sound crazy."

"I sound crazy because I want to stay with you forever?"

"Yes!" She laughs, shaking her head at me as if I'm being ridiculous. "This is all a part of first-love," she expels as if it's another subject in school she's been studying. "The whole dire feeling of being separated. The looming sense of dread that's sure to consume us!" She adds dramatically as if she's telling me a scary-bedtime story. She giggles mockingly knowing that's exactly how I feel, and she rolls her eyes and scoffs attempting to release the tension between us. "You're barely seventeen years old, how are you even sure you want to keep me around 'till the end of school, much less forever?" She teases, thinking that there's even the slightest possibility that I'm becoming bothered by her presence.

I stare at her long and hard breaking through her barrier, so that when I speak she has no choice but to believe my words. "My bounty is as boundless as the sea, my love as deep..." I begin and her eyes widen in shock immediately recognizing the reference. "The more I give to thee, the more I have for both are infinite," I recite perfectly, and she narrows her eyes almost insulted that I would stoop so low as to use her weakness for Shakespeare against her.

"That's not fair," she whines and I chuckle knowing I've won the round. "But in all seriousness, I hope you know how much I wish it could be different. It's just not realistic with you and I half-way across the world."

"We could still make it work."

"How? It wouldn't be fair to you," she admits giving me some small insight, and my insides warm understanding her logic.

She didn't say that it wouldn't be fair to 'us', making it seem as if we'd both be turning down countless options, she only said that it wouldn't be fair to me. Which has me thinking she'd be back home secretly pining after me until after some grand, romantic gesture of me traveling across the universe to meet her, she'd finally have enough courage to be with me forever...

At least that's how it should play out, right?

"Fred?" She quips plucking me out of my daydream, and I shake my head refocusing on her. She gives me a small smile, before hunching her shoulders and starting to laugh. "You're impossible."

"I'm trying to make this work, which is more than I can say for you" I grumble. "I mean, you sound as if you don't even want to try and figure out a way for us to stay together."

Her eyes turn soft not verbally saying what I can already tell from her expression. It's easier for her to keep realistic than get caught up and ultimately hurt by a dream...

"Can I ask you something?" She sighs and I shrug not liking where we've ended the conversation. "What are your plans after graduation?"

"I'm not sure as of yet. I guess it all depends on what happens after we take our NEWTs."

"According to Heidi, you were planning on becoming and Auror...is that still true?" She asks and I shrug not wanting to talk about the future especially one that doesn't include her, and she sighs. "Then I'll make you a deal," she quips. "...I promise after we get our results to sit down and have a serious and well thought out conversation with you about our plans-"

"I'm listening," I add childishly and she smiles full and wide.

"And after we've exhausted every option or possibility of us staying together, then and only then will we agree to break up...Fair?"

"No."

"What?" She giggles taken off guard. "Why not?"

"Because I know you," I glare, and she laughs even more. "You'll only try the bare minimum because deep down you still won't accept how I feel about you," I accuse accurately. "But I promise you this."

"What," she challenges simmering her laugh into a smirk.

"I promise to never let you go without a proper fight unless the universe has a vendetta against me and allows you to change how you feel about me...And even then," I sneer stubbornly, and she covers her face laughing. "I'll probably still secretly keep fighting to stay with you."

"You're utterly impossible!"

"Even so, I'm still yours."

She opens to dispute it, but she can't. "...Since when did you become so smug?"

"Since you confirmed my suspicions."

"Oh, yeah? Regarding what?"

"Regarding the fact that you're in love with me."

"Hah!" She scoffs. "Nice try. I've never said it," she snarks sounding just as immature as me.

"You don't have too," I say cracking another smile knowing I've got her in a corner. "You've spent every free moment looking after me. You've only left my side when it's absolutely necessary. And...you risked expulsion by getting into a cat-fight with the person low-key responsible for me being in here in the first place. So, I think it's safe to say you've been caught."

Her eyes pool with fear before becoming hard and fixated on me with a determined expression, no doubt trying to think of something witty to come back at me with. But I've taken too many pages out of her book by overwhelming her with the truth to the point where she can't say anything. And any lie she told me would shatter upon impact because I'm 100% right about how she feels about me, and we both know it.

"Ugh. Whatever," she says rolling her eyes becoming embarrassed, and looking out the window near my hospital bed.

I stare at her for a long time just noticing how beautifully vulnerable she is at this moment, and she fidgets and shifts uncomfortably from the correct analysis. I swear only two seconds go by before I can't help myself and ask why she can't say it.

"Because...it hurts," she replies darkly before looking at me bitterly. "If I admit it aloud I can't take it back, and I know it's bound to change everything...And if I don't say it, I can somehow keep pretending I'll still be able to function after the term ends without you there to make everything better," she expels surprisingly even. "...I know I shouldn't feel as strongly about you as I do. It doesn't make sense to feel so steadfast about a person so soon...but I can't help it."

I feel as if someone has dumped three buckets of ice water over my head, I get so many chills. My mind rewinds and then plays her speech focusing on the best parts, and I'm smiling like an idiot drowning in her love for me.

"Al? AL!" She calls worriedly because I look dumbstruck. "You're ridiculous," she adds fighting another smile, folding her arms and sitting in the chair by my bedside as Madame Pomfrey walks over to check my vitals.

"What do you think, Xiang? Well enough to leave the hospital?"

"Really?" I ask hopefully and she nods. "-yeah I am!" She gives me a disapproving look. "Uh-Sorry, Madame Pomfrey."

"Keep the excitement to a minimum," she orders before looking to Gwen. "You'll make sure he doesn't overexert himself, won't you dearie?"

"Yes, Madame Pomfrey" she nods obediently before looking over to me and sending me a swift wink.

There are two solid weeks before we get to leave for break, and going back to classes is suddenly more of an irritating challenge than ever. Gwen's 'Obscurial' incident is still the hot-topic around the school, and after seeing the damage done to the courtyard clock-tower it's bound to be Hogwart's History.

I try not to bring it up even though I have questions because I know she's still embarrassed about losing control, but I've begun secretly researching ways I could potentially help. They say replacing the feeling of alienation with belonging is a possible way to cure obscurials, but the problem is even if Gwen wasn't aware of the dark-force potentially growing inside of her she's ultimately comfortable with it. She's so good at being alone if anything she seems to struggle with having people close to her. From her stories, I know back at Ilvermorny she had friends and was well-liked, but I'm fairly certain she never had a set group. She doesn't mention the same people in her stories, it's like all of her friends seem to run in separate circles. She only ever mentions her dad, in fact, he's the only person I've seen her write letters to and she doesn't get mail from anyone else. No friends from home or any relatives...

So I guess, that just leaves me. And even though I know deep down we belong together, I'm having a hell of a time convincing her. Not that I'm fighting against her heart, actually her feelings are probably my greatest ally; but she's so stuck in her head and cautious even regarding situations that are essentially simple desires. I swear, I had to gradually wear her down for her to agree to let me come with her to choose a wand-

"Quick! What is the spell to erase and or modify a person's memory?" She quizzes popping her head up from her textbook and I look at her blankly half-startled before starting to smile. "Chop-Chop! Xiang! This is a timed-assessment!"

"It's a pop-quiz at best in the Great Hall," I chuckle and she glares. "And the answer is Obliviate," I answer smoothly and she purses her lips giving me an approving nod.

"Just checking," she sighs returning back to her copy of Confronting the Faceless. "It's your turn."

I narrow my eyes trying to think of a good question. "Name three ingredients used in brewing Polyjuice-Potion."

She rolls her eyes and exhales heavily as I'm already starting to laugh because she's disappointed in me. "Could you at least try and make it a bit challenging?"

"It's not my fault you're overly prepared."

"Anyone in our year should be able to answer that question."

"And yet...you're stalling," I snark and she makes a face.

"Lacewing-Flies. Fluxweed. Knotgrass. Powdered Bicorn Horn. Boomslang Skin. Leeches. And a part of the person you're looking to change in too."

I look at her until my insides feel like a steaming mug of hot chocolate, reliving another reason as to why I'm crazy about her. She's the most beautiful oxymoron I've ever come across, and everything about her is such a neverending puzzle. Just layer upon layer of brilliance...

Her eyes narrow disapprovingly no doubt warning me to focus, but when my feelings for her begin to silently broadcast themselves, even more, she glances down towards notebook attempting to fight off a growing smile.

She waits another five seconds before flexing her hand and every textbook and study-guide she has laid out before us swiftly flips to a close and she mutters, "-It."

"What?"

"You'll see," she smiles knowingly rising from her seat quickly packing everything away in her bag, and I watch her confused. "Unless...you'd prefer to stay here and study," she hedges suggestively getting up from her spot beginning to leave the Great Hall; and when her offer finally catches up to me I practically shoot out of my seat, stumbling to follow her out.

I jog past her quickly after she turns left already beginning to start the climb on the moving staircases, confirming where she's headed and I start grinning determined to beat her there. I leap across the steps taking two at a time, almost tempted to jump the gaps because I'm just that excited. With everything going on, we haven't really had any time to be alone together and I'm not missing this chance to make-out with her for anything.

I complete the climb to the sixth-floor heading for the empty-classroom. It's close to the change of classes so it doesn't give us much time at all.

Why couldn't she have had this brilliant idea at the start of the free-period?!

She takes her time getting to me, no doubt slowing on purpose to tease me and I pace up and down the aisles of desks impatiently.

"Exactly how many people were you planning to knock down, back there?" She teases as I turn around to see her cool-smirk twitch on top of her beautiful full lips. "I would've been here sooner, but carelessly stepping over bodies isn't exactly-"

My hands clamp onto her face as my lips fall on hers greedily eating the rest of her sentence. I devour her smile determined to transform her amusement into something more passionate, and as soon as I hear her stifled moan it's like the world around me evaporates. I dive into her deeply, desperately wanting to express all of the things she's grown to mean to me. How much I love her...How she makes me feel...How devoted I am to her...

And what surprises me most of all is how she's emitting that same energy.

Usually, whenever we kiss she'll claim lightheadedness or shy away from how intense our feelings are for each other...but not this time. Everything I'm offering, she's just as adamant in receiving before overflooding my senses. I swear, she's like an ocean receding before a tsunami...

My heart is pounding so hard I can feel it in my ears, and my mouth is moving so fast against hers I'm almost questioning if I'm kissing the same girl. I've always had to restrain myself when it comes to her in the sense that I don't want to overwhelm her with the confidence of my feelings because I had always thought it made her slightly uncomfortable...Well...not today.

If anything I need a moment to catch my breath, and when I break away I'm panting just as hard if I were just playing a match for Quidditch. And I smile dopily seeing how she's just as winded, watching the embarrassment darken her cheeks.

"...Sorry," she peeps and I end up laughing hard, stealing another quick kiss.

"You don't ever have to apologize for kissing me like that," I smile leaning low in her face. "I just..." I grunt still breathless. "Need air," I smile happily. "Occasionally," I weigh and she chuckles burying her face in my chest hugging me tightly. I love hearing her laugh; the sound is as deep and rich as church bells on a Sunday morning.

"Why can't time just...stop?" She groans before laughing even more. "Why couldn't we have had more time?"

"We have plenty of time," I sigh resting my head on top of hers. "...We have our whole lives."

I feel her body shake with another soft rustle of laughter. "...I love you, Alistair Xiang."

 

Gwen's POV

(Saturday Morning...)

"So...Are we not going to talk about it?"

"Talk about what?" I ask calmly looking to both Sheva and Alistair from our study-table within the library, ignoring the plum-colored envelope as it glides into my shoulder more aggressively. I blink slowly as if nothing is happening out of the ordinary and Alistair just shakes his head with a small smile returning to his essay. "What?" I hiss. 

"You know what! Madam Pince will have a fit if this thing goes off in here," Sheva smiles reaching out to capture the letter and it wriggles angrily in her hand. "You know better than most that this is some type of howler."

"All the more reason to let it alone," I retort keeping my voice low. "I've heard these things have a time limit before they explode, and the worst-case scenario is that it throws it's final tantrum before it self-destructs."

"Here's a thought," Alistair adds playfully sarcastic. "Just open it."

"No."

"Why not? You don't even know who it's from."

"That's where you're wrong, I know exactly who sent it," I huff flipping to another page in my book. "And before you go and ask who it is, I'm not telling."

"But why?"

"Because I can already imagine what they have to say, and it's not important."

"How do you know it's not important?" Sheva asks confused and I glance over my shoulder expecting to see Madame Pince's shadow glide out from a bookcase.

"Because if it were, they wouldn't have waited until now to get in contact" I snip towards the letter currently fighting even harder to free itself from Sheva's grip. "And above all else, I'm not interested," I hiss as the letter wriggles free to float in my face and I fan it away.

"But if someone is adamantly trying to reach out to you-"

"I don't want to hear what she has to say!" I snap already revealing too much. I take a deep breath and begin packing up my things. "I'll see you around," I say a bit quieter, rushing out as fast as I can and the letter zooms after me. "Fine. You wanna do this? Have at it!" I snarl strangling the note and it burns even hotter in my hand, as I'm marching to the Owlery. No one is there when I arrive and my finger slips in between the seal and it flutters to life more vibrantly.

"Stubborn Child...Your ability to avoid the inevitable is not only an accurate depiction of your immaturity but also highly amusing," her low and ancient voice drenched with disapproval begins. "Tell me, do you honestly expect our paths to never intersect? Hah! Our destinies are more intertwined than the hideous trellises that fester upon your mother's wretched school, one would've thought your attendance to such an inappropriate institution would suffice in demonstrating your objections, but ignoring my correspondence during your time at Hogwarts is a form of derision I do not take lightly...Like it or not, we are family. And when all else fails, it is family that prevails in times of adversity," she mocks mercilessly, allowing a bitter chortle to emit from the mouth of the letter. "I had hoped you would've given me the opportunity to correct the lies your father has no doubt ingrained into your mind, but seeing as how you've yet to respond it has led me to believe that you are more than content with the unsolved mysteries concerning your mother, our family, and your connection to it all..."Her voice changes. "After you receive this letter your mother's ghost shall cease to haunt me. I have done all I've promised and may we all find peace with your decision to sustain ignorance. You're Great-Aunt..."

I stand in place speechless, propping myself up against one of the stone walls for support as the howler shreds itself to pieces before igniting in flames. 

"...Was that-uh," Alistair's voice eases in trying to lighten the moment, and I freeze becoming embarrassed, glancing over my shoulder frantically. "Really as intense as it sounded?"

"...How much did you hear?" I hiss, feeling traitor-tears beginning to sting my eyes. He steps over to where I am knocking into a few irritated owls, but plants himself steadily in front of me.

"All of it," he shrugs scratching his head playfully and I glare at him harshly and utterly mortified. "But French has never been my strongest subject so, asking me how much I actually comprehend would probably be a better question-"

"Can you please be serious, for once" I groan covering my face and shifting away from him. 

"How can I when you don't tell me what's going on?"

"What does it matter? I know how it looks," I snide becoming even more upset. "Besides, anything I tell you now is probably going to-"

"Going to what? Send me running?" He guesses correctly and I turn my back refusing to face him. "Maybe you should just say it so we can get it over with."

My chest crumbles inward and for the briefest moment, I forget how to breathe...

That is until I remind myself that this is ultimately what I've been preparing for and that I just have to follow the rehearsed scenario in my head-

"You're right," I half-choke.

"Of course I'm right," he adds confidently. "The sooner you tell me what it is, the sooner you'll see how ridiculous you're being."

"Me?!" I spin no doubt flustered and blotchy, and he gives a single chuckle before nodding. My eyes narrow deciding to call his bluff. "...My Great-Aunt has been writing to me. All year, in fact."

"...So?" He asks cluelessly and I groan becoming even more impatient.

"So! It confirms what everyone says about me! It's not just a rumor anymore!" I whine. "My Great-Aunt is Vinda Rosier."

"Okay..."

"Vinda, Rosier," I repeat again because he's still not getting it.

"I heard you. What of it?" He shrugs indifferently.

"What of it? Vinda Rosier was one of the main supporters of Grindlewald during the height of his climb to power!" I mock, shocked that I even have to explain what the problem is. "Al, it's another example of concrete evidence in regards to my ties to dark witches and wizards. My mother's family-My, family" I emphasize unable to deny the ties. "Is filled with Dark-Magic Supporters and Pure-Blood Mania, just like you feared! They've supported Grindlewald and Voldemort wholeheartedly," I explain, and he stares at me unimpressed and unaffected. "Why...Why doesn't that bother you?" I ask turning on him and getting to the real issue. "Why are you so comfortable around me?"

"Gwen-"

"No!" I shout as he takes a step to close the distance between us. "I'm dangerous. A threat. And it's probably just a matter of time before-"I pause refusing to admit another fear of mine. "Everyone else is afraid of me! And I've proven time and time again why they're right, so why-" I stop and begin to really cry. "Why aren't you?"

He ignores my protests capturing me into one of the tightest hugs I've ever had, and my body collapses against him and he holds me even more securely. "Because Gwen, I see you...And there's nothing to be afraid of. You're in control."

"...It doesn't feel like it," I admit quietly.

"But you are," he promises even stronger. "And I know it'll get easier once you have a wand of your own."

"What if it doesn't?"

"Then I'll be here to help you work through it. Whatever it is...Don't you know by now there isn't anything you could say or do to scare me away?" He squeezes me again. "Face it, Collins. You're stuck with me...Which is exactly what we can tell your Aunt when we go to visit her-"

"Alistair, no," I say squirming away from his grip. "I can't go to her."

"Why not?! You said you had questions about your mum! She's willing to answer them-"

"She's a former Acolyte! With my luck, she's only interested in restarting a new world order," I grumble and he chuckles easing his hold to change it. He grips my face tightly forcing me to stare into his sincere brown eyes.

"People can change, and your family nor your abilities can determine your choices...It's still your decision. And that's what I mean when I say, you are still in control," he says earnestly. "Besides, you're too stubborn to let anything or anyone make you do something you don't want to do."

"...That's what I'm afraid of," I admit quietly. "I'm afraid of liking the freedom of going off the rails."

"But you've always had that.  You can trust yourself to make the right decision, you do it every day" he corrects leaning his forehead into mine. "You're not gonna go dark, alright? I won't let that happen," He smiles kissing my nose. "I'll drag you back into the light." 

"...You'll really come with me?"

He stares at me a long time before nodding slowly, and I sigh letting him go in order to go over to my bag and I begin writing my Aunt a response. I find her black owl snoozing comfortably in a low window. I glare at the sleek bird as it extends it's leg elegantly with its eyes still shut, because it almost seems as if the owl is mocking the fact that I'm playing right into my aunt's wishes. Like even the stupid bird knew I'd give in and visit her.

"You know what? I changed my mind. She's not gonna get the satisfaction of summoning me to-"

Alistair snatches the note from my hand and attaches it to the leg of the bird. "Take this letter to Vinda Rosier, Paris, France. As fast as you can."

The bird bows before taking off and I brood watching it fly out of sight.

"Now that that's settled. Its time for some fun."

"Fun?" I repeat and he nods enthusiastically. "I don't think so. The only thing I'm ready for is-"

"An afternoon of me, and I don't want to hear another well thought out argument. I've already won this one," he says even stronger. "Besides. It's about time I took you out on a proper date."

"A date?" I hedge and he grabs my hand to drag me away from the Owlry until we're back down in the dungeons.

"Twenty-minutes enough time?"

"How do I know if I have no idea what you're planning?"

"Just dress how you would for a date."

'So..my best school uniform?" I tease and he groans pushing me towards my House entrance. "Did you forget that my wardrobe has been trashed? I've been living in my school uniform for months, not to mention I don't even have a wand to create something-"

He narrows his eyes before they begin to sparkle with brilliance. "You're not getting out of this. We need this...Our relationship needs this. I mean, how many more days like this will we have?" He pulls me to stand in front of him, crouching low so that our eyes meet. "Please?"

"Please, what?" I half-laugh.

"Please allow yourself be carefree and sixteen with me?" He asks so beautifully sincere, my knees buckle. "I'll take care of everything, just say...yes."

"...Well, . When you ask like that," I grin even more feeling him swoop in to lift and spin me off my feet. "Twenty-minutes," I promise as he sets me down before jogging off towards his house. 

I do the same rushing down to my common room, and into my dorm where my stuff is. I take the quickest shower of my life rushing around trying to figure out some option of clothing when a first year delivers me a small pile of clothes. "Your boyfriend told me to give you these."

I smile wide seeing the stack, and I thank them before choosing a pair of black skinny jeans and a marigold sweatshirt. The sweatshirt is so long it feels more like a dress, and I begin taking off the skinny jeans. I sigh looking at my options for shoes and begin fitting on my sneakers when a gorgeous pair of black thigh boots lands on my bed. I look up to see Janelle Williams smirking knowingly at me and I laugh slipping them on. They slide up like a dream, and when I march over to the mirror I grin seeing how my outfit is lowkey channeling Arianna Grande, and just a peek of my thigh is showing to make it enticing but not over the top.

I put a little more effort into my makeup going with the overall vibe, and I flex my fingers a few times trying to modify my hair-length, but it comes out more like an asymmetrical cut from an 80's Salt-N-Pepa video. 

"I've got you, Collins" Janelle Williams smiles waving her hand and the long dark tresses sprout and curl from my head down my back. 

"Thank you!!" I coo in appreciation and she sends me a wink as I'm jogging out of the dorms. Allistair waits right outside the entrance, leaning coolly up against one of the stone pillars. He's changed too, wearing a black sweatshirt with a marigold trim and a black pair of jeans, and as soon as I see that we're somewhat coordinated I start smiling. "Matching outfits?" I comment and he shrugs leaning off the pilar to get to me. 

"Well, I had hoped that-" he begins until the sight of me causes his face to go derp. "ing-Hell, Collins," he grins eyeing me leisurely, and I shift uncomfortably from his reaction. "Sorry...it's just..." He smiles trying not to oogle me and he drags a hand down his face. "I can't believe legs that great have been suffocating beneath dress-robes all year."

"Quit messing around."

"I'm not foolin' I promise! Those legs...," he appraises and I cross them shyly. "Hey...What is it?"

"Nothing. You're just going on about a part of my body that I'm sort of self-concious about."

"You're kidding. Why?!" He asks and I shrug. 

"Well, it's not like I have a thigh gap or whatever size zero you're probably used too," I grumble and he rolls his eyes before taking my hands and tugging me into him. 

"Gwen-"

"If you call me beautiful, I swear fo' Jesus-"

"Fine, then. You're ing ethereal," he says a bit stronger. "And anyone who says differently is either jealous or blind-"

"Alistair."

"And even then...Who cares about some stupid thigh-gap? I don't," he smiles, bending slightly in order to look up to me. "In fact, if I'm being honest, the only thigh-gap I'm imagining is one with myself in between."

"OH MY GOSH!" I holler covering my face totally embarrassed. "Alistair!"

"Gwennnn," he exaggerates before chuckling and pulling my hands down. "I can't believe you need me to tell you how beautiful I think you are...I thought it was just a given."

"You're known for being extremely generous and polite," I mumble. 

"Apparently with everyone except you," he sighs. "But how could you not know how y you are?"

"Well, it's not like I look like this every day."

"Even without this, you still do it for me-"

"OMG! How much will it take in order for us to stop having this conversation?"

"Well, at least now you understand why I don't tell you."

"Wait, what?"

"You get so uncomfortable, especially when things get...heavy, between us," he admits wincing slightly. "So rather than make you feel some type of way, I just...keep it in check."

"Keep what in check?"

"My...fantasies," he adds quietly, becoming embarrassed. 

"Wait, you fantasize about me?" I ask in disbelief. 

"Are you kidding? Of course, I do!" He laughs before glancing down at his watch. "Hey, we'd better go while we still can."

"Okay, but I have questions!"

"Why is that not surprising?" He asks sarcastically, looping his arm around mine as we walk up the stone steps. 

"Well, I do! I mean, you can't say you have fantasies about me without me developing some sort of curiosity," I ramble as we make our way to the grand entrance. "Not to mention, I thought all of your thoughts about me were rated G. And then you-"

"Rated G?!" 

"So...they're not" I wince and he scoffs, and then I nod slightly impressed with myself. 

"Let me ask you," he quips coolly. "When you fantasize about me-"

"Yeah, right" I cackle refusing to admit anything. 

"Are you saying you don't?" He hedges and I purse my lips hard. 

"...I'm saying..."

"Uh-huh."

"I plead the fifth."

"Exactly," he smirks knowingly. "And am I right in guessing those thoughts aren't Rated-G, one hundred percent of the time?"

"Try, ninety-eight percent of the time," I laugh realizing how my mind constantly stays in the gutter regarding him. "But even so."

"No, even so. It's the same thing with me, if not a thousand times worse."

"Wait, why is it worse?" I ask cluelessly and he sighs gravely. "...Why is it worse, Al?"

"Forget it."

"No way! Why is it worse?" I challenge and he groans. "Just say it-"

"It's worse for me because I know what it's like, and I'm missing out."

My chest clenches hearing what he means and I give a quick nod trying to appear unaffected. "...Oh."

"NO!" He bellows spinning himself in front of me to stop us both. "Don't take it like that!"

"Then how else do you mean it?" I sass. 

"Not like I'm missing out because we don't. Just that I'm missing out because I know how great is-"

"Ho-Oh! Is that all?" I mock already feeling inadequate. 

"And I know if we ever did, it'd be more magical than any other experience I've ever had," he promises as quickly as possible. "Better than flying!" He rushes and I shake my head at his point of reference. "...I don't want you to think that I mind waiting. We can go as fast or as slow as you want. There's no...pressure, alright? I just like being with you," he answers sincerely. "I was just saying how it's harder for me because I know how amazing felt when love wasn't in the mix-"

"But now that it is," I finish understanding him. "...I get it."

"You do? Wait, you do?" He asks in a way that he's somewhat questioning my ual history.

"Well not in that sense, but...it's hard for me too" I admit looking up at him. 

He releases me a bit easier and we both ease away from the tension we've unknowingly created, and then we laugh. 

"Look, I'm sorry things got so heavy. We're supposed to be having fun."

"What exactly are you up too?" I ask noticing the gathering of students in the courtyard. "Aww, man. Really?"

"You've never been. We've got to go, and there's no way I'm letting you travel all this way without having a Butterbeer at least once," he smiles before waving to Morgan and Sheva who are waiting by the crowd. "Besides, the gang's all here."

We walk over to meet them, and Sheva takes me into a cheerful hug. "And if you even think about giving us a pop-quiz today, Collins. I swear to God," she laughs letting me go. 

Morgan stands awkwardly attempting to have some sort of mental exchange, and I block him out with thoughts of Alistair until I feel my mood begin to inflate. 

Ever since Alistair's accident, things between Morgan and I have been somewhat strained. I know his lack of involvement regarding Alistair's accident and Sheva's attack isn't really his fault, but it still puts a sour taste in my mouth. Especially how he low-key implied that Alistair's feelings for me were somehow responsible for all of the bull we've gone through this past year. 

"Ugh! I can't believe you're finally coming out with us!" Sheva says happily looping her arm around mine and walking us over to the main pathway that leads to Hogsmeade. "Where do you want to visit first?"

"I don't know," I smile defeatedly, getting over the fact that my study day is completely out of the question. "Where do you guys usually hang out?"

"Well, there's Zonko's and Honeydukes. And I'm tellin' you no trip to Hogsmeade is complete without visiting the Three Broomsticks," Morgan offers and I twist my mouth annoyed at the sound of his voice, but I smile as tightly as possible because I don't want Alistair to know. "...But we could totally save it for the end if you and Al want to meet us there later."

"Actually, that's probably a really good idea," Alistair turns around smoothly to walk backward, along the path. "We can poke around Gladrags and pick out a change of robes or something to carry you over until Break. I'd figure you'd want to save the serious shopping for when we're in London."

"Wait, you're spending the break with Alistair?" Sheva smirks mischievously and I roll my eyes, as she eyes us both suggestively. 

"Will you stop? It's not that big of a deal," I whine pulling her even faster in order to pass the guys.  

"Are you...sure, that's a good idea, mate?" Morgan says extremely low but my head flicks back to glare at his comment. I snuff a short breath forcing Sheva to keep up. "Gwen, wait! I didn't-"

"-off," I mutter under my breath as Sheva sighs. 

"How long are you going to be mad at him?" Sheva asks once we're at a safe enough distance. "You know that none of what happened was his fault."

"Exactly how big are the chocolate-frogs at Honeydukes?"

"Gwen," she chuckles finding me funny. "You can't keep avoiding you don't want to talk about."

"I'm pretty sure that is the definition of 'ignore'," I shrug smugly. "But in regards to your question, I don't know the answer."

"Gwen."

"What? I don't," I snip and she sighs. "Ironically, it's not like I can say anything," I smile bitterly. "He's my boyfriend's best friend. I know how important you guys are to him...to me too," I add thinking of my relationship to them both. "However unhealthy it is, my way of life is to bottle--up, and there's no way I'm going to have a conversation explaining my -hurt."

"Hol' up...Your arse is sore?"

I look at her suddenly remembering the culture shock and I laugh and shake my head, deciding to confide in her. "Morgan's comments hurt my feelings because it gave me an unexpected dose of reality. That's all."

"Well, what did he say?"

I take a deep breath and shake my head again, shrugging it off. "It's not important. It was just a wake-up call...And I'll eventually get over it. I have too," I say glancing back at Alistair, and he pushes Morgan around playfully with the biggest grin on his face." Alistair has already lost so much because of me, I can't afford for him to lose anyone else. 

"Ugh! This so bad!" She groans frustrated, before brightening at another thought. "But can we at least talk about you spending the Holiday with Al? That's epic! I mean, so romantic and just...lovely," she expels wistfully. "And-Why aren't you more excited?" She pouts at my lack of reaction. 

"One last hoo-rah...Yay. Me," I answer as dull as possible until it causes me to laugh. 

"Hoo-Rah, indeed" she chastises in a whisper. "This could potentially be the last time you ever have together! The build-up from that factor alone should-"

"How exactly did the Three-Broomstick's get it's name?"

"Oh! Come on! How could you not want to talk about that?" She bursts with a happy laugh.

"Because it ultimately signifies the end," I whine and she makes a face. "After break ends and we come back to school? Then what?"

"You don't know that."

"I'm heading back home the morning after graduation...It's only because this is my mother's alma mater, they're allowing me to enact Hogwart's Commencement Ceremony. By right, I should walk with my class back at Ilvermorny."

"You've earned your place here, you belong with us as much as anyone else," she adds whole-heartedly. "And I don't care if you are the brightest in our year, I've seen your marks in Divinations and you clearly don't know everything."

"I can make an educated guess," I tease and she scoffs. 

"You think that's all there is to it? Guessing and charting?" She huffs slightly insulted and I shrug allowing her to carry the conversation as far away from me and Alistair as possible. It' isn't until we've arrived in Hogsmeade, it finally catches up to her what I've accomplished. "...Oh you're good," she glares and I laugh unlinking myself from her. 

"She usually is, but what was it this time?" Alistair chimes in behind me, draping his arm onto my hip. 

"Distractions," I flirt reaching up to kiss his jawline. "And..." I smile, feeling his Adam's apple bob low and then I kiss the spot again, erasing his curiosity. "I don't play fair..."

By the time I look at Sheva she's glaring so hard at me, no doubt conflicted by Alistair's unashamed surrender and my ability to cloud his mind, and I giggle victoriously shifting my position around him. 

"Salazar Slytherin in the flesh," Morgan teases and I roll my eyes refusing to acknowledge him because he's soured the moment. 

"I'm not the least bit upset," Alistair says still somewhat dazed and I interlock our hands pulling him towards the shop.

The four of us enter the store and from the random selection of merchandise, it seems to be a sort of wizard consignment shop. Immediately my wallet takes a collective sigh of relief seeing the relatively low prices.  I'm in complete awe of the contents that lunge and snap out at me on the shelves; oddly-talkative books and paintings of wacky scenes, a mixture of potions that puff and seep vibrant colors of smoke as I pass. 

"Relax, the clothes are in the back. Although I'd stay away from the socks," Alistair smiles leading the way. "The muggle options are fairly safe though."

"Thank. God," I giggle maneuvering around a scarf attempting to ensnare itself around my neck. We find a bin of shorts and pants and a few racks of shirts and dresses, and we begin rummaging. "OMG! I don't believe it!"

"What?"

I take down the jersey and hold it up proudly brandishing the SEEKER side of the shirt. "It's a '94!" I grin happily. 

"So?"

"So?" I hedge, and he gives me my favorite trouble-maker smirk. "This is a '94 Bulgarian National Quidditch Team jersey, do I really have to say much more?"

"Actually you do, considering how you're not all that interested in Quidditch," he teases and I purse my lips. 

"...Like-"

"Uh-huh."

"I'm not..."

"Uh-huh."

"It's just...Viktor Krum-"

"Go on," he smiles winningly.

I open my mouth to answer and then close it, draping the jersey over my arm. "You know what, forget it."

"I v'ill not," he answers, perfectly changing his voice to sound heavy and thick with a Bulgarian accent. 

"That's not fair," I laugh nervously trying to hide the fact that it got to me, and return to looking at the clothes. 

"V'hat...V'hat iz'nt fair?" He broods sounding exactly like him. "The fact that the v'oman of my heart is in love v'it another?"

"Okay, this role-play needs to stop, like now."

"'V'yyyyyy" he broods and I laugh even more. 

"Because I can't take you seriously," I giggle. "Besides, there's no reason for you to be jealous."

"I beg to differ," he answers still sounding like Krum, and when I turn around a full-fledged 1994 Viktor Krum is standing in front of me. "And it's not like I'm being ridiculous," he changes his voice sounding more like himself. "I mean, it's not like I've ever seen you get this excited over one of my jersey's."

"I don't have too, you idiot. I have you," I chuckle. "This jersey is probably the closest I'll ever get to Viktor Krum...you on the other hand," I flirt watching his cheeks tint clearly flattered. "...We're allowed to have crushes, Fred."

"That's why it's a problem...I don't have anyone aside from you," he answers still in a mood, and I give him a look attempting to shatter his statement. "What? I don't."

"So...we're just gonna pretend that your feelings for Celestina Warbeck-"

"Celestina Warbeck is an iconic legend and a gem who shall be protected at all costs," he recites causing me to laugh even more. "...I guess I see your point."

"See. I'm fine with it. And even if I can't change myself to look like her," I giggle stepping around to get in his face. "I've got a cauldron, full of hot strong of love and it's bubblin' for you," I sing soulfully, and his entire body relaxes into a smile as his features go back to normal. "You're too much," I smile leaning in to kiss him and he melts against me. 

"I think I found some-Oh!" Sheva squeaks before apologizing. "I can-I didn't see...Yeahhhhh..." she shies, fading into another aisle of the store. 

I end up getting a pretty decent haul, a few pairs of leggings and some sweaters, and even a slouchy hat. Enough to carry me over until break, and I'm able to go crazy in H&M. Sheva and Morgan decide to hit Zonko's Joke Shop but seeing as how pranks aren't really my thing Alistair says we'll kill the time at one of his usual hangouts. 

"Madame Puddifoot's Tea Shop?" I read the sign skeptically, and Alistair chuckles beside me. 

"I know. Believe me. Based on what you've probably heard, I am legit promising you that I already know," he rushes already trying to ease my aversion to the café. "But they've got the best cup of tea in the area. So, shall we?" He asks in the cutest way possible and I sigh walking ahead to the main entrance. 

Just like I feared, the café is bursting with couples making out or conversing heavily. I am utterly convinced that Cupid just shot a stream of his arrows at the walls and furniture until it exploded into a heart-shape. Shades of pink, red and white literally cover every inch of the space and there are so many lacey frills to make me feel like William Shakespeare is in a back corner somewhere writing a sonnet.  

"If Gilderoy Lockheart and Valentine's Day had a love child, it would've been conceived in this room," I joke and he smiles nudging me towards the counter

"One black, Green-tea for the lady...and I'll take a Jasmine, with two sugars."

"Are you sure you don't want to try something a bit...sweeter?" The young witch flirts from behind the counter, and I feel my head tilt. She scoffs checking me out, no doubt subtly implying our incompatibility and my jaw clench reflexively.

"Yeah. Let me get two chocolate-peanut-butter cupcakes, as well," Alistair orders cluelessly, and I scoff at how much goes over his head. "Thanks, Nina."

"Oh...Nina."

"Don't start," he adds digging in his wallet, fighting a smile. 

"Did I say anything besides her name?"

"No-"

"Alright then," I shrug already irked. 

"But knowing you there's always more to follow," he grins picking up the drinks and heading over to a table. "Are you coming?"

Nina reluctantly hands me two cupcakes on a plate and I scrunch my nose at her disapprovingly before heading over to sit with Alistair. Those who aren't making-out watch us intently, and I shift uncomfortably settling into the hushed and fading tones of their rumors. 

Alistair raises his wand and swirls it around our table, and immediately a soft buzzing hums around us. "Better?" He asks and I duck my head and nod. We talk and laugh enjoying each other's company as the cognizant couples watch us with envy, and I smile feeling completely at ease.

"So...where are we headed too after this?"

"Well, there's still Maestro's Music Shop. Oh! And you'd probably enjoy Tomes and Scrolls. It's a book shop. And I need to stop in Spintwitches to get a new kit for my broom. The Seventh-Years have some sort of last-ride tradition, and I've got to get my broom in top-shape," he says sounding disappointed and I frown at his tone already becoming concerned.

"What do you need?"

"What?" He smiles confused, and then the smile widens understanding how I'm offering to help him. He shakes his head with another easy laugh. "Nothing's wrong...I'm just thinking about Quidditch, " he answers. "I really hate we didn't make it to the Cup. And, I hate how I'll never really get to officially play anymore. I mean, it's not like I can go pro."

"Who says?" I challenge almost threateningly, and he laughs even more. 

"Me. I say," he chuckles taking a sip of his tea. "I would've had to have been scouted ages ago."

"You could still try-out."

"For what? The Chudley Cannons?" He jokes and I make a face. "...It's a dream I have to let go, and that's okay," he shrugs and I pout even more. "And will you stop looking so sad?"

"I can't help it," I breathe a smile. "I don't like hearing you talk of letting your dreams go."

He smoothly slides his hand to touch mine, and his thumb the back of it lovingly. "I'm-"

"Not letting you go," I finish dryly and we both share a laugh. "I saw that line coming a mile away."

"Oh yeah?" He hedges. "Y'know the Shrieking Shack was thought to be the most frightening building in Britain."

"Yeah, so?"

"So, I'm pretty sure if we headed over right now I could give you another reason to scream," he flirts perfectly and my eyes bulge in surprise before I start to laugh. 

We finish eating our cupcakes and drinking our tea, and Alistair removes the charm as we're heading out of the Tea-Shop. It's a perfectly cloudy spring day. We stop into Spintwitches first and it's a bit crowded with different members of the house teams. Alistair heads towards the back of the store, leaving me near the front counter. Heidi and Rosalind are posted up along the sidewall near the entrance with a few other members of The-Group, and when our eyes meet they freeze. I duck my head initiating a sign of truce, but I watch Heidi's eyes glaze over to Alistair wistfully before scoffing and whispering to a sixth-year girl in her house.

"The last kit," Alistair smiles coming over to me. "How lucky is that?"

"Hi, Al" the sixth-year girl sings annoyingly sweet. She's an inch or two shorter than me, with honey-brown coloring and silvery white-blonde hair in mermaid-waves. She's pretty, slender with chocolate brown eyes, and no doubt set out on a mission to ruin my day. "Great day to fly..."

"Bina," Alistair acknowledges politely, before looking back to me. "My broom's gonna shine in the moonlight after I'm done polishing."

"Wait," she scoffs before looking over to me. "You mean, you don't polish his stick?" She smirks tauntingly. ", Collins. Well, technically you're not, but damn...Can't you do any'fin right?"

"Which I'm pretty sure is the same question your parents will have after you take your OWLs," I snide, sending an unimpressed glare towards Heidi. "I'll wait for you outside, Al."

"That's if he decides to come out. Al's seemed a bit pent-up, and now we all know why," Bina taunts as we've begun to gain an audience. "It's been so long," she elongates on purpose. "Since he's been to one of our parties...I swear I start to tingle just thinking about how much fun we used to have..."

"On second thought. I don't really need it," Alistair tries putting the kit back and I take it from him and head for the counter to pay. "Gwen, come on."

"How much?" I ask the uninterested old man behind the counter, and Bina continues her lies. 

"Dara and Yasmine miss you too, but it's no surprise because you were always the best," Bina adds ily before starting to smile. "No wonder Heidi's still hung up, but at least she was still kind enough to share," she teases. "Unlike Collins."

"You damn right, I'm not sharing," I cackle, continuing on with the lie. "Not that there's usually anything left after I'm done," I say and right on cue a collective round of 'OOOoooo's' release around the shop. I pay for the kit and take Alistair's hand because he just stands there frozen. I lead him out of the shop carrying the kit protectively, moving us farther and farther away from the excitement until we arrive at a park-bench not to far away from the Three Broomsticks. I sit him down because his face is ghostly-pale, and I grab the sides of his cheeks. "Don't let them upset you, alright? Their twats," I say using his slang, and usually, that would be enough to get him to smile but not today. "I know Heidi put her up to it, and it doesn't affect us whatsoever because she lies," I explain and he sighs gravely, sinking lower in to depression. "She lies. Her friends lie. I'm pretty sure even her Kneazle lies and-"

"Gwen..." He begins before sighing gravely. "She's not lying."

I tilt my head confused waiting for him to take it back, but he doesn't and I release my hold from around his face. 

"...Say something."

"Ok...what should I say?" I shrug not knowing how to answer. "And please let it be something that isn't going to make me sound immature, jealous or extremely conservative, because right now? That's all I got."

He breathes a laugh turning to face me. He opens his mouth and I nod in encouragement, but then he ends up closing it speechless. 

"Yeah, you see? Silence is good," I offer trying to lighten the mood with a joke and he shakes his head. 

"No, it's not. I never wanted you to know how bad I was."

"Why? Did you think I'd look at you differently?"

"You mean how you are right now?" He smiles painfully and I shut my eyes so I won't have to look at him the way that I am. I feel his hands brush my cheek. "Gwen."

"What?" I gripe. "I'm trying to be okay with all of this...Like...I'm sorry. And it ultimately shouldn't matter. Like if things were reversed I'd be preaching about a double standard, so it's the same thing, right?" I open my eyes towards a moment of clarity and nod. "Right. It's the same."

"Sort of...I'm not embarrassed about my number," he explains. "I just wish I had been more selective about the people I shared myself with. I wish I had been in love or had a more profound understanding of love and ...Things that seemed like such a great idea then, seem really foolish now. And I didn't get that until after we started dating."

I take in a deep breath and let it out gravely. "Your Group...is ed up," I laugh. "I'm so glad you're not with them."

"Well, I'll probably always have ties thanks to my vow...but I'm glad you got me out."

I reach up to take down his hand and I smile. "This day was...really intense actually."

"Yeah...Let's go eat our feelings," he chuckles getting up to take me to the Three Broomsticks