Charmed, I'm Sure

Another Year...

Alistair's POV

When I find her the following morning, she's sitting with a first-year from Ravenclaw in the middle section of the Slytherin table. The Great Hall is fairly empty, due to the fact that most kids choose to go to Hogsmeade. And on any other Saturday, I'd be there too. But I wanted to stay behind, knowing that this was the best chance to talk to her again. 

I stand at the entrance watching her interact with the young girl, politely correcting her mistakes on the homework. My lips lift at the corners, watching her nibble her plump bottom lip whenever she erases. It's so cute when she does that. Like, her determination to get it right is trapped within the tiny flexes of her hand before she quickly brushes the excess away. 

Her face softens before asking the girl what appears to be the same question, and when she makes the wrong guess again Gwen quickly explains before erasing once more. I watch them awhile, noticing that it takes the girl a fair amount of time before getting the question right. And I'm amazed at the level of patience Gwen has, no matter how many times the student develops the wrong answer. They must be working on an essay or something, because when the girl finishes she holds it up to read and Gwen listens attentively nodding here and there with the flow of the speech. 

"In conclusion...Standard-Ingriedient, proves to be ess-ential when creating the-the most common potions and in, the art-for-form of Potion-Making," the first year stutters, before exhaling hard. "Was-Was that al-right?"

Gwen waits a moment before allowing her pride to touch her face. "...I think you're wonderful."

"C'mon, Gwen!" The girl groans clearly embarrassed by her level of praise.

"I do. I really do," she smiles before adding in a slight chuckle. "And this paper is really great. And you should be proud of what you've written."

I give myself a face-palm from the overload of feels, because this moment is just too sweet. And Gwen is just...well...indescribable. 

"Thanks for-for helping me-me," the girl stutters before brightening into a smile. "See ya!"

"Bye Holly," she adds giving a cool wink, and the girl leaves practically skipping out of the Hall. 

Gwen takes out a notebook and a copy of Advanced Potions, no doubt getting a headstart on our latest assignment that's due next week, choosing a complex potion for our class demonstration.

After taking a deep breath, I begin making my way over to her table. I tug on my top-knot and smooth out my black "The-Ramones" t-shirt, before tugging on my jeans. I roll my shoulders a few times preparing to talk to her, and I know she senses me coming over because she shifts a bit in her seat allowing her eyes to never leave the page of her book. 

"So, are you taking on any new students?" I joke weakly, and she continues to read as if I've said nothing. "..Because if you are? I know someone who could use your help."

Her eyes shift to the side debating, and I see for a fraction of a second her urge to help. But it's like she remembers that I have a tendency to talk in code in reference to me, whenever I talk to her. And it's like as soon as it clicks she wrinkles her nose fighting off a smile. 

"I highly doubt it."

"I don't," I scoff sitting across from her. "In fact, I'd bet my life on it."

"Oh you would, would you" she smirks turning to another page. 

"Absolutely," I reply smooth as , and she ends up unintentionally full-on smiling when she looks up at me. 

"What do you want, Fred?" She asks in her cool tone and I smile leaning a bit farther onto the table. 

"To know if I could spend today with you."

"What?" She quips like I've suggested something horrible. "Why?"

I raise my eyebrows before taking in a deep breath and starting to sing. "JUST-LOOOOOVE-ME!! I WANNA BE WITH-"

Her hand shoots across the table to cover my mouth, and she keeps it there a moment or two just staring at me with an embarrassed yet highly amused expression. "No..like, I get that. But...Aren't you usually hanging with your crew?"

"Crew? What is this a 2000s dance movie?" I tease and she rolls her eyes. 

"I don't know you guys are usually posted up among the various staircases or hallways. Posing or leaning in some cool formation, no doubt waiting for your cue to start the dance-break choreographed by Heidi" she smiles shaking her head and flipping to another page in her book, finding herself funny. "My point is, I'm just probably going to spend the day studying."

"So...My homework could probably benefit from a study-day."

"I can't really see you sacrificing a Saturday as beautiful as this, to homework."

"I'm sacrificing the chance to hang out with you, if I do anything else" I flirt and her eyes narrow suspiciously. "Although, we don't have to do homework if you don't want too. We could do something else..."

An hour or two later; I look up from the board waiting for her to make her move, hoping she'll move her rook to the open space in order to take my bishop. We've been playing a few rounds of Wizard's Chess, and she's lost every game except the last two where I've let her win. At first, I thought she was just playing terribly on purpose. Trying to do me a favor by letting me win, because she's usually so much smarter than the moves she's played in too. But she makes the same facial expression in Transfigurations, so I know she's trying. It's one of our toughest classes, and she makes that face whenever we have an exam or need to complete a demonstration. The same hard three crinkles appear in the middle of her forehead, and she clenches tight as if she's grinding every gear in her brain to come to an answer.

"Guinevere..." As soon as I call her name, her furrowed expression relaxes, quickly fading into curiosity. The dark brown irises within her eyes widen as her lips form an innocent pout, and she blinks a few times in a row like a cartoon character. My pulse beats deep in my ears forcing me to acknowledge how pretty she is, but I don't not wanting to come on too strong. I doubt if it's working, every now and then she'll catch me staring too long which means that I've probably been staring at her even longer if I'm able to snap myself out of it. I smirk to myself realizing how bad I've got it, but come up with something normal to say. "It's just a game."

She makes a face before scoffing and allowing herself to smile, shaking her head. "Can you really even still call it that?"

I shrug easily, still focused on the bright side. "We're still playing aren't we?"

"Yeah, but how much fun can you expect to have with me as an opponent" she chuckles glancing down towards the pieces on the board.

"I don't know," I hedge. "But watching you fail repeatedly isn't getting old any time soon."

She sticks out her tongue along with an immature sound to match, and I laugh.

"But really, I'm having a good time" I nod, hoping to see how much I mean it. "If anything it's my fault for assuming you'd be good at this."

Her head as her eyes narrow suspiciously. "What's that supposed to mean?"

My eyes widen seeing how I've said something to hit a nerve, and immediately I'm trying to correct it. "Not that you have to be good at this, it's just I thought that with you being in Slytherin-"

"I'd be just as calculating and manipulative as my House's stereotype suggests?" She deduces and I wince. "I take it you don't have too many friends in Slytherin?"

"Well, it's not intentional. I mean it's a great house-"

"No, would've been sufficient" she sighs knowing she's got me in a corner.

"All I'm saying is that they aren't known for being the friendliest house."

"Fair enough," she answers as a faint smile settles on her lips, letting me have it. "But being in Hufflepuff, you have to know that you can't just fit people in a box."

"You mean, you don't identify with Slytherin?"

"I think I'm just a different kind. At least different than the brooding, egotistical stereotype that prances up and down these halls." she ponders. "I mean, I'd like to think of myself as ambitious but I'd gladly sacrifice it for the freedom to explore new possibilities. And although in my heart I feel I am bound for greatness, it doesn't consume my every waking thought."

"I see...So, what exactly do you feel you are destined to do?" I ask genuinely curious, and she surprises me by shrugging her shoulders and smiling as wide as possible.

"I have absolutely no idea," she giggles. "And I can't wait to find out."

I end up laughing as well and the moment sweetens between us, until she becomes uncomfortable by how mesmerized I am by her. Like now, I'm swirling helplessly in the styled coils of her extremely dark brown hair. The sleek set of her almond shaped eyes, and naturally full lashes. The subtle curves of her face, and the ample yet not overbearing shape of until I notice her purse her lips refocusing on the game, before moving her rook to the open spot. I shake my head a little remembering to pay attention, and I nod to myself happy with her choice positioning my piece so she can take it.

"What about you?" She sighs.

"What about me?"

"What do you feel you are destined to do?" She questions, studying the board.

"Have your children..." I think wistfully, watching her eyes lift from the game to meet mine. And I swear, I can feel my pulse pound even faster in response to her beauty.

"Uh..Ahem," I cough remembering her question. "I'm not sure yet..I mean, there are just so many things that I'm into...It's-uh, hard to pick just one or two things."

"Well, if playing Wizard's Chess doesn't work out professionally; I'm sure you could always get a job with the Ministry" she suggests. "I mean, it seems as if everyone is looking to work there. Or their parents work there."

"They do seem to always be hiring," I joke before telling her the real reason. "But I haven't quite decided which world I want to live in."

"Really?" She asks curiously. "You've got a connection to the non-magical world?"

I take in a deep breath, deciding to tell her something personal. "I'm sort of the odd-man out in my family...I'm the only wizard. Everyone else is a muggle."

"...Oh."

Her answer causes me to frown, because she almost sounds disappointed. Her face changes a little, and immediately I start to worry because my brain begins reminding me of everything I've ever heard about her, causing my thoughts to bubble and spew like a potion gone terribly wrong.

"Is that a problem?" I hedge and she blinks two times in a row, shaking her head appearing confused.

"Is what a problem?"

"Me, not having magical parents."

Her eyebrows pull together as her head tilts slightly. "Why should it? I have a non-magical parent."

I feel my eyes stretch wide, entirely suprised by her answer. "You do?!"

She nods slowly, her expression changing once more. "Again...why does it matter?"

"Well," I wince feeling hesitant to tell her the real reason. "...With your familial connections to Dark-Wizards and Pure-Blood Mania-"

"You weren't sure if I shared the same views," she finishes as her eyes begin to narrow. "...I see."

"Look, I'm really sorry if what I said upset you."

"Me too," she sighs gravely, continuing to look on me with pity. "...Knight to E7. Check."

Her knight manuevers around my pawn to land on a space attempting to take my King. My eyes flicker toward the board, before raising slowly to meet hers and I can't help but smile seeing how well she's fooled me.

"Wait a minute," I chuckle glancing down at the board again and I can already see that I'm in trouble. "What's wrong now? Queen to E7," I smile happy at the fact that she's going to give me a real game.

"Other than the fact that you'd rather base your opinion of me off of the stupid and highly inaccurate stories you and your friends have no doubt passed around-Pawn to A4," she articulates in one breath, and the piece smoothly glides to her command. "Everything is perfectly fine."

"Knight to C6," I quip just as fast. "How on earth did you come to that conslusion?"

"Oh please! You think I don't know what people say about me? Rook to A3," she scoffs. "You know, when you asked me to hang out I was skeptical. But after hearing you voice your assumptions just now, I'm both shocked and curious as to how you gained the nerve."

"Pawn to E5."

"Rook to A5," she says without missing a beat, and she continues to chew me out as her piece sets up her trap. "And in case I wasn't clear, your apology is not accepted."

"Wh-Why not?!"

"Because you're a waste of time and energy."

"...I'm a waste," I and that seems to get to her too. She pauses a moment before exhaling hard clenching . And something within, let's me know not to take it as harshly as she sounds.

"Spending time with you, is a waste. You've ultimately proven that you're no different than anyone else at this school," she huffs attempting not to get even more upset. "And I have no interest in being ridiculed anymore than I already am. And being seen with you is sure to cause me even more unwanted attention so-"

"For someone so upset about being judged, you seem to have no trouble forming an opinion on other people without proper evidence," I contend, before giving the command to ultimately surrender the game. "King to E5..."

"That's a Check," she whispers staring intently as the piece shuffles to finish the game.

"I know," I sigh, hoping she'll understand the symbolism. "Asking you to hang out wasn't my way of making fun or setting you up for a bigger joke. I genuinely like being around you."

"Which is another thing, in itself-"

"What is?"

"Your...feelings about me" she elongates for emphasis. "They don't make sense. I mean, before yesturday I doubt we've exchanged more than twenty words."

"Well it wasn't for lack of trying," I smirk remembering that dreadful day I tried to talk to her once before. It was in potions class, and I was so nervous I ended up knocking over six viles of toads-spawn while we were gathering ingredients. "During the first few weeks of classes I wanted to sit next to you, but you started choosing the single or the broken desks making it impossible, too. So I started sitting on the sides or behind you."

"It was more for my safety, than avoidance" she notes cluelessly, until her indifference catches up with her. She shakes her head waving her hands attempting to erase how it sounds. "Not that I was avoiding you-Like, I wouldn't have minded if it were you-"

"You don't have to explain."

"It's just that ever since I stepped on the train, Heidi does everything within her power to make good on her promise to make my life miserable, it's a bit hard for me to trust people," she acknowledges. "...Which is also why I should apologize. It's still difficult for me to wrap my head around, this" she adds motioning to the two of us. "And as far as making it seem like I couldn't play chess-"

"Uh-huh," I smirk finding it somehow impressively adorable.

"That, wasn't right."

I smile a little,seeing how bad she feels. "Don't worry about it. I figured you could anyway...Most Slytherins can."

"You can't go off of that!"

"I'm sorry, but it's common knowledge that most Slytherins enjoy tactical planning."

"You make it sound as if I had been strategizing for months," she criticizes, wrinkling her nose.

"It's also common knowledge that you guys have your own tournament within your common room, so I figured it was a safe bet."

"For the record, I had every intention of letting you continue to win. Or letting you, let me win," she scrunches. "But it wasn't until you called me a Pure-Blood-Fanatic-"

"I never said that!" I say a bit loud and she makes a face knowing the odds of the thought crossing my mind. "But it is something to think about."

"Why?"

"Because, if you and I ever end up feeling serious about each other I want a clear heads-up as to what I'm getting in too. And your family's multiple connections to Dark-Wizards, is a potential concern."

Her dark brown eyes glint, somehow widening into slits as she continues to stare at me. "And what exactly makes you confident enough, to think our friendship will even last long enough to develop into something serious?"

"This game, for starters" I smile knowingly. "You see if I didn't at least peak your interest, you would've just exited the Great Hall without another word...But you didn't, you stayed."

"That doesn't mean anything."

"You wanted to embarrass me before you left. It wasn't enough for you to just walk away, you wanted to punish me for how I made you feel. And if I was making fun of you, you wanted to ensure that you got something in the end. Even if it was something as trivial as the last laugh."

"That still doesn't mean anything."

"But it does," I smile knowing I'm right. "The fact that you wanted to get back at me, means that on some level I hurt you. Unintentionally, of course but the damage remains. And in order for me to be able to get to you, you had to have had some level of concern for me. Which lets me know two things..."

She stares at me a while, allowing her eyes to relax from their intensity in order to shift into something powered by curiosity. "Which, are?"

"It's literally killing you how much you like me," I add a bit cockily. "...And you definitely belong in Slytherin."

She rolls her eyes pushing away the game, and I laugh. "Yeah? And you think you fit the character description of your house?"

"Sometimes," I muse, drowning happily in the fact that she didn't dispute my first point.

"That's a bit ironic seeing as how Hufflepuff really doesn't have one," she adds. "I'm pretty sure the Sorting-Hat sang something about Hufflepuff 'taking-the-rest'."

"That's just it...Most days I feel as if I don't really belong anywhere. And then other times, I feel like I belong in a set."

"Hol'up..." she chuckles, staring at me differently. "You mean you bouyant rays of optimistic sunshine, occassionally eclipse?"

"Bouyant-Rays?" I scoff.

"Well yeah, I don't think I've ever met an existential Hufflepuff. Usually, the ones I come across are boiling over with herbal teas and rehearsed pep-talks," she smiles. "Not that there's anything wrong with that...It's...just nice you're a unicorn."

I frown at her analogy, tempted to be insulted but all I can feel is immense flattery. Unicorns are one of the coolest, most magestic creatures in the entire world and if she's comparing me to a unicorn she must associate those qualities with me as well.

"Thanks," I smile enjoying the fact that a moment is passing between us. "..So, you said you had a non-magical parent."

"Yeah, my Dad's a No-" she stops before correcting herself. "My Dad's a muggle."

"And he was okay with sending you halfway around the world to study magic?"

"I guess in a sense it's no different than going to Ilvermony, although not seeing him on the weekends is a bit hard."

"You two are close?" I ask and she nods slowly, no doubt thinking of him. "Must be nice..."

"You aren't close with your parents?"

"I'm more of a disappointment," I wince before laughing at my own joke. "They-uh...don't approve of magic."

"I'm sorry," she rushes and I shake my head showing indifference. "I really am though. I can't imagine what that must be like."

"S'not as bad as I make it sound," I shrug casually, resting my elbows on the table. "Besides magic isn't the reason why I have issues with my family...just one extremely large bonus."

She gives a short deep laugh, and the sound rings in my ears like a low gong. Slow and comforting, matching the subtleness of her bow-lips widening into a reluctant smile.

"I can't imagine living like that," she sighs. "Not having your family accept and support a part of who you are-"

"I take it your dad is cool with you being a witch?"

"...He's the one who told me."

"You're mum never explained?"

"She..uh...Never got the chance too," she answers softly. "She died when I was two."

"I'm, sorry" I add no doubt feeding into the sour moment, but she won't let it.

"Me too," she whines a little playfully, before smiling wishfully. "I mean, I only have the stories she told my father, a few No-Maj pictures and...this," she says pulling out her wand.

"Seriously?" I ask and she nods again. "You never wanted to get one of your own?"

She shakes her head. "It's the only thing we can share. And in some ways it lets me know what type of person she was. Like I can feel her attatchment to me, but we don't agree on most things."

"Oh! Are you studying wandlore?"

She shrugs. "Not necessarily, I just find the topic fascinating...This slender piece of wood," she adds, turning it carefully. "Is essentially the physical representation of your inner being..."

I swear she's the definition of profound. The way her mind thinks and her ability to express herself, is practically poetry. And because there is no way I could respond in a way to propel the conversation, without making an utter fool of myself...I change the subject.  

"So, what are some of your other favorite things to read about?"

She breaths another smile, alerting me to the fact that I've just opened a can of worms and her personality brightens beginning to explain. "Well, Magical Creatures is extremely interesting but I prefer to read or observe than to interact. Which I suppose is ironic seeing as how I'm a Thunderbird, and 'constantly seeking adventure'" she mocks before wrinkling her nose again. "But some creatures, especially creatures that are newly introduced can be frightening to behold until you gain a deeper understanding, you know?"

"Mhm-hmm," I smile knowing she doesn't need further prompting.

"And although I'm good at it, I utterly hate potions."

"You're kidding!" I laugh, and she shakes her head allowing her face to become even more animated.

"It's too precise, and utterly nerve-wracking. I feel like I'm defusing a bomb everytime we go to class. Too many things can go wrong if the measurements are off, and it's like everyone is afraid to speak as soon as we step into the classroom. Even if Prof. Slughorn tries to make it a happy environment."

"Now that you mention it," I frown thinking of how it usually goes within the class. We're in the same class as well, and I'm usually so nervous just being around her I'm not really paying attention to how everyone else is doing. "You're absolutely right. It is really tense."

She pauses a moment allowing the smile on her face to fade away shyly. "...But my favorite class of all would probably be Charms."

"Not Transfiguration?"

"Again, handy and highly important. However too precise," she decides. "I mean, a miscalculation could be disasterous. And then depending on the spell there could be too many ways to solve the same problem, but the wrong one could end up making things worse."

My face warms noticing the candlelight from the Great Hall glow across her beautifully brown cheeks. The heat flushes my face before I can stop it, and she rolls her eyes slightly annoyed with the way I'm looking at her. "You're blushing..."

My eyes practically pour into hers, and hers narrow in response.

"Good gracious, really?" She groans becoming embarrassed, and then smiling a little. "Let's talk about anything else...What's your favorite subject?"

"That's an easy one. Defense Against the Dark Arts."

"Figures," she adds unimpressed.

"It's...the best," I expel, unable to truly articulate my love of the subject. "I mean, talk about a rush."

"I'm sure there are safer ways to acquire adrenaline."

"Yeah but that's just a part of why I enjoy it so much," I begin. "Defense Against the Dark Arts is about out-thinking your opponent. Anticipating their move and suprising them with one of your own...Its just like chess, if you think about it."

"A lot more dangerous than chess."

"Yes, but more fun too" I add wistfully. "Creating new combinations and counter-attacks...I take it you don't like to duel?"

"I've been known to..occassionally engage," she replies clearing with a coughing spell.

"I bet you're good," I smile and she laughs. 

"We could always find out," she offers and I shake my head and laugh immediately. 

"I already know from our last game, you are not someone I want to mess with."

 

 

Gwen's POV

(A Month or Two Later...)

"Sunshine," he muses as we walk to Charms. The morning is crisp, causing the air to expel before us but that doesn't stop Alistair's natural flow within the conversation. "Or, Stardust...Let me guess. Stardust?" He teases and I make a face before saying the opposite. 

"Sunshine."

"Really?"

I wrinkle my nose, fighting off the urge to smile. "No...I just didn't want to be so predictable...Uh...Chocolate or honey?"

"Yes, dear?" He smirks and I end up cracking a smile before shaking my head, and he answers. "Chocolate...Fairy or Mermaid?"

"Mer-People," I correct and he nods showing compliance. "That's a no brainer. Mer-People."

"Okay, what about something a little tougher?" He hedges as we begin climbing the stairs. "Intuition or experience."

I open my mouth to answer, but as soon as I begin really thinking about the question I'm unable to choose. 

"Don't tell me I've finally stumped, ya" he jokes and I make a face. 

"Believe me, Babe" Heidi sneers from the top of the steps. "It's not really as hard as it looks."

I sigh giving him a knowing look, and he rolls his eyes annoyed at the fact that I want to keep our friendship secret. Although I'm not really sure how well it's hidden; any one paying attention would notice that we've been hanging out quite a bit since he confessed a little over a month ago. 

Not that we're dating, or anything like that...he's just becoming an extremely good friend. 

I hurry up the steps allowing Heidi to corner him and he exhales a bit frustrated, as she begins to bombard him with questions. "I waited for you in our usual spot, but you never came."

"I told you I had no intention of meeting you, so I'm pretty sure that's on you" he answers rather bluntly and my body shakes a little trying not to really laugh. 

Alistair isn't at all like I expected. I mean, he is in a sense but not.

He's still obnoxiously and naturally good looking; and has somehow found the perfect balance between intelligent-geek, cool-jock and loveable idiot. 

But then there's something about him that gives his happy-go-lucky personality some edge. He's...deep and lowkey engaging to talk too. I find we can talk about so many different things for days on end. And his sense of humor can literally keep me smiling hours after we've said goodnight. 

There are so many layers to his personality. And because he's so different from any other person I know, I'm taking my time in getting to know him. And I'm enjoying every single second of it. 

Even now. He's made it more than clear that he has no problem in going public with our friendship, but I won't let him. Not that I can't take the backlash, but deep down I know he'd rather not be alienated from his social status. It's important to him, even though he would never admit it. He's constantly talking about his friends or the funny things they've said or done, he has so many happy stories...

I don't mind keeping the fact that we spend so much time together a secret. I just want his last year of school to stay as wonderful as all of his other years. From our talks, I know that home is such a hard place for him, and Hogwarts has always been some sort of sanctuary.  I don't want him to lose that because of me. It's essentially the same reason why I won't agree to date him. I'm heading back home after the school year is done, and although I haven't had much experience...history has proven that long distance relationships don't work. So what other choice do I have but to continue to fail miserably at not becoming too attatched to him.

I head into the classroom and sit in my seat in the middle row, and Alistair files in a few minutes after taking his in the front row. I feel his eyes on me, and I make the mistake of looking up and he's glaring at me from across the room. I wince a bit and then give him another face shaking it off like it's no big deal. He scoffs rolling his eyes and I smile, which in turn causes him too as well. 

Prof. Flitwick bumbles into the classroom urging the rest of the students to take their seats. There's only thirteen of us taking the class, so it doesn't take too much time. He greets our class before giving a casual wave of his wand and the chalkboard reveals a list of spells in his handwriting. 

"With your N.E.W.Ts vastly approaching; I'd like to treat this morning's session as a mock-examination, with a fun twist. A rigorous game, if you will" he smiles gleefully. "You all will file one by one to perform the list of enchantments seen here. And the game is simple," he adds allowing his tone to darken. "Perform it correctly and go to the next round, or fail and sit out. All spells must be performed at N.E.W.T level, meaning no talking. Non-Verbal spells only...The winner of our little game will recieve twenty-five house points."

The tension tightens within the atmosphere, and I smirk feeling myself becoming caught up as well. I'm pretty competitive, and the fact that there are other people who want it makes me want it even more. Not that I really care about the House-Cup, it's just I somewhat enjoy the feeling of taking something someone else was aiming for. 

I end up smiling even wider thinking of Alistair and what he calls my "Salazar-Tendencies". And the only part I hate is the fact that I can't argue about them. I don't want to be labled or stereotyped, but Slytherin and I share a lot. We understand each other...

"Alright...Line-up!" He bobs gleefully and we close our textbooks to grab our wands and file in. 

Alistair get's a spot towards the end of the line until Prof. Flitwick forces him to move up, but even then he tries to save a spot for me. I shake my head trying not to cause more attention, but he motions me over. I sigh begrudingly making my way to him, only to be cut off by Heidi who slides in front before tossing her hair and it whacks me across the face. I give a short chuckle feeling the fires of my temper stoke, backing up to give her more space and I shake my head feeling my fingers urge to twitch in order to jinx her again. 

"Easy, Collins," Morgan chuckles shaking me a little stepping up behind me, and I turn slightly serving him a look that clearly questions his comfortability in touching me and he smiles even wider letting me go. "...Too many witnesses. You don't want to get in trouble."

"Yeah, and since when do you care?" I challenge taking out my wand, and he suprises me by bending low to whisper in my ear. 

"Since my best mate started too..." He smirks, smoothly styling his brownish-red hair. 

I look at him horrified and he shakes his head like I've misunderstood. I frown in response but have no time to discuss because the "game" has begun. 

Everyone passes through the first few rounds easily, going through the spells by order. We go according to the year we would've learned them, so the first and second year spells are a walk through the park. By the time we hit third and fourth year charms, the game starts weeding people out.

"Incendio," Natalie Reicht mutters ever so quietly, but we all somehow hear it and Prof. Flitwick bounces calling her out. 

"Ooo! Take a seat, Ms. Reicht..or in this case, wrong" he jokes as she makes her way to chair. "Better luck next time."

We sail on through the game leaving only Alistair, Heidi, myself and Morgan still playing. 

"Two on Two...Excellent," Prof. Flitwick smiles. "Brownstein. Xiang. Duel."

We blink at each other a little blankly, but adjust ourselves for the change of pace. Alistair and Heidi go first, and Morgan and I take our seats with the rest of the class. 

"Remember...Non-Verbal. Wands at the ready..." Prof. Flitwick adds motioning for them to begin.

Heidi throws the first spell and Alistair evades it easily before counter-attacking. They go back and forth half-assing the duel to the point I'm begging Prof. Flitwick to call it, or for one of them to finish it. I swear, they should've paired me up with either of them. Alistair, in normal circumstances would usually be a fun opponent...at least that's how he appears in the Dueling Club. I've gone to a few meetings, and he's really as good as they say. But now, he just seems totally uninterested or leaving himself open on purpose hoping she'll beat him-

And that's when it clicks. He's trying to end it by letting her win, and she's just using this as added time to keep him focused on her.

I groan dragging my hands down my face, thinking of how we're likely trapped here until the class ends. I shake my head glaring at her, already starting to brood. I wish Flitwick had called my name to face her instead, I'd have given her a run for her money. 

"Yeah, you would've" Morgan adds and I shoot him another look. He ducks his head, attempting to hide a smile as my eyes narrow. "Don't worry though...You'll get your chance soon enough."

"You're reading my thoughts?" I think as my eyes narrow even more at the realization, and he turns his head to me before sending me a playful wink. "...Oh, it's on" I grin and he chuckles as we return our attention to the duel. 

A few minutes later, Alistair takes a Stunning Spell to the chest allowing him to crumple to the floor. I clutch my own as if I've been hit as well seeing him in pain, but Heidi rushes over to attend to him. 

"Oh no! Ally-Babe!" She coos leaning over him, and I start to glare. "Are you alright? Why didn't you block me?! Does it hurt?"

He winces allowing her to help him off of the floor, and she cradles against his chest. I close my eyes feeling my teeth grit and I clutch my wand even tighter. 

"It's a stunning spell, I think he'll survive" I groan impatiently stepping up to get in place, ignoring them entirely.

"She's right, Xiang. Walk it off" Flitwick agrees. "Alright, Collins. Trelawney...Wands at the ready."

"Actually, I'm not really in the mood. Heidi can take the pleasure of gaining our house some extra points," Morgan shrugs casually, before nodding to me. "That is...if you don't mind, Professor."

"Not at all. Brownstein. Collins...Wands at the ready."

She steps into position, leering at me tauntingly and I return the smirk all the while bowing down and after I've risen up.

She cheats immediately, not waiting for me to get in fighting stance, but I block her stunning jinx before sending one back of my own. She dodges it, throwing another and I deflect it before conjuring a flock of birds and sending them zooming in an elegant formation to attack her. She fights off the birds, sending multiple jinxes at their flight-patterns making the situation comical at how flustered she's becoming. The entire class including Prof. Flitwick fill the space with laughs, until Heidi releases a frightful scream along with a powerful blast from her wand and my birds flare up in smoke. She breathes heavily and ferociously walking around the space forcing me to follow in this circular stand-off. She points her wand and a cluster of ropes shoot out attempting to wind themselves around my neck and body. They latch onto me and I struggle and thrash against them before thinking of a way out. 

"Emancipare!" I think as hard as possible and my wand burns hot in my hand forcing me to drop it. 

It rolls away from me due to me strangling and I gasp and writhe on the floor refusing to surrender. I flex my hands, this time freeing myself and stand up ready to charge again but Prof. Flitwick claps his hands approvingly, signaling that the duel is over.

"Well, that was fascinating. Excellent work all of you, and it is my esteemed pleasure to award the twenty-five points to Ravenclaw on account of Ms. Brownstein."

"Wait! Seriously?! We were just getting started!" I bellow not caring that I look like a poor loser. 

"I know, which is why I'm highly disappointed but rules are rules Ms. Collins."

"What rules?! I didn't surrender-"

"No, but you were disarmed...You dropped your wand" he explains regretfully. "And however impressive your skills at wandless magic are, the fact remains that within this classroom we abide by N.E.W.T standards that require the use of a wand."

"That's bull!" I call out, earning a few laughs.

"Ms. Collins, another outburst like that and you'll leave me no other choice but to start taking points."

"Professor! She was trying to kill me! You're not going to say anything about that?!"

"Oh. Ms. Collins, it was just a bit of fun" Prof. Flitwick chuckles dismissing our class. "That'll be all for today."

"But Professor-"

"Continue practicising, and remember your futures depend on how well you perform during your examination."

"UGH!!" I shriek as everyone begins to file out; well everyone but Alistair and Heidi who's draped all over him. 

"I still think we should get you looked at, in the Hospital-Wing" she nuzzles and he makes a face before shrugging her off. 

"I'll be fine, thanks" he says a bit short. "I'll see you around."

"Yeah?" She grins, allowing hope to drench the four letter word and he rolls his eyes. 

"Yeah, with the rest of the gang" he gruffs walking over to pick up my wand. "Later."

He brings it over to me all the while allowing his eyes to search me for any type of injury, and I sigh allowing my embarrssment with how I responded to catch up with me. He reaches up to hold my chin, turning my cheek from side to side  in order to see my face and I give him a tired smile, letting him know I'm okay and he gently releases his hold.

"Collins!" Heidi calls, and I jolt a little in place. "We're getting quite bold, aren't we?"

"Yeah? And what's that supposed to mean?" Alistair challenges and Heidi scoffs. 

"It means, I almost choked her out in front of a professor...Imagine what I could do outside of class?" She laughs with a smooth wave of her wand, in order to summon her things. "I suggest you come to your senses Alistair, and quickly if you don't want something bad to happen."

She exits the room leaving the atmosphere foul, and I exhale hard refusing to cry in front of him. But I almost can't help it, I'm that angry.

"Is twenty-five points really that important to you?" He teases already knowing the answer, and my tears brim and spill from my eyes. "Why are you crying? You did extremely well," he adorns, trying to make me feel better.

"Yeah, and I would've had her too if it wasn't for that stupid wand."

"Shhhh," he says ever so grave before making a joke. "...It can hear you."

"I don't care if it can," I mumble. "Stupid thing went hot in my hand."

"It tried to backfire, again?" He asks and I nod. "I still say you should see someone about that," he sighs. "It's not normal."

"Wands are a waste of time any way," I rebuff wiping my cheeks. "Name one spell I can't do, without one."

"A Patronus. Apparition. Disapparition. Occlumency. Legilmency-"

"Okay-Okay-Okay," I smile, knowing I've been bested. "But still..."

"Has your mom's wand always given you this much trouble?"

"Yeah, but I thought we had an understanding. Small spells here and there. Homework or a test or whatever. Not a major duel with my nemesis," I exaggerate to the piece of wood, causing him to laugh. "Bottom line, it's supposed to come in clutch. You know, always have my back. And it just hung me out to dry, in front of everyone no less."

He takes the wand and lifts the wand to his ear. "Uh-huh...Uh-Huh...I see..."

"What are you doing?" I quip and he waves a hand to quiet me down.

"Stop-talking...I can't hear what it's sayin'..." he pretends and I smile a little. "Mhm-hmmm...Yeah...Well, I tried telling her that, but she seems to think you two can't get along."

I roll my eyes, unable to deny how amazing he is to me. And my face brightens continuing to stare at him adoringly.  

"Are you two finished yet?" I giggle a bit and he nods. 

"Yeah, and it says they're really sorry for what happened earlier...it's just that it was feeling pressured to perform. But that if you relax a bit...it'll do much better next time..."

"The wand said all that?" I taunt, playing along and he nods playfully, leaning in closer.

I swallow nervously seeing how close he is and how easy it would be to kiss him. His adorably pouty lips practically drawing me in like a siren call...

"Oi! Are you coming or what?" Morgan shouts from the classroom entrance. 

"Yeah. I'll be there in a minute," Alistair answers and we lean away creating more space between us. 

"I don't wanna hang wi'v you, mate. I can see your face anytime," he teases and I frown. "I meant her."

"Me?"

"Yeah, you...You know everything he says about you is entirely true. You are really funny," he adds happily. 

I give Alistair a look that clearly questions whether or not he talks about me, and Alistair starts blushing as Morgan continues. 

"Talk about you? The man won't shut-up! It's all we've heard him go on about for months, and that was even before you started talking to him," he adds. "But there's no need to feel embarrassed mate...If she had someone to talk too, her conversations would be all about you too," he guesses leaning over towards Alistair, who's intently staring at me a little suprised. "Oh, come on surely she's told you!"

"There's actually nothing to tell," I snarl, sending him a fierce glare. "I'll see you around, Fred-"

"Can I just add in, I think it's adorable how you've got these cute nicknames for each other" Morgan teases, more Alistair than me but I'm still just as embarrassed. "Although I still say Ginger would be more compatible than-"

"I don't wanna know," I interrupt, before dismissing myself once again. "Like I said, I'll see you around," I say emphasizing towards Alistair and he nods, silently agreeing to meet up with me later.

"Hey! What about me?" Morgan laughs as I'm gathering my things to walk out. 

"You, can go back to acting like I don't exist."

"What if I said that I was really sorry?" He yells out as I exit the classroom. "I didn't know you were sound!"

"Still not an excuse," I call back dismissing his answer, making my way to my next class...Muggle Studies.

I'm practically rushing in order to make it on time, but when I finally do I take my usual seat within the third row and settle in. There are only four other students taking this class, and for the most part they seem to be in it for the "ease" of the subject. Not that I blame them, growing up with a non-magical parent has more than prepared me for a N.E.W.T level examination but I come here for non-academic reasons...It's the only class where I'm not made fun of. 

Prof. Kemp, a tall, bean-pole of a man strides into the classroom excitedly waving a small stack of newspapers. "Excellent topic today. Please take one and turn to the third page in order to begin reading the article," he rushes beginning to pass them out. "I'll give you a few minutes, and then we'll discuss."

I take the newspaper and immediately my eyes narrow seeing as how the pictures don't move. It's a No-Maj paper...

My eyes widen reading the headlines.

"MAGIC EXISTS! OTHER BEINGS WALK AMONG US! THE PATH TO SALVATION IS EXPOSURE!"

Extremely powerful words from thirty-three year old Joey Nelson, a devoted accolyte towards "The-Movement"; a cause without an official name but filled with passionate believers and witnesses to something greater than ourselves. 

"I felt her words worm into my heart," Joey smiles reverently while discussing 'The-Movement's' founder Eka Knowles. "I mean...I've always felt alone in my ideas, but I've seen too many things too ignore that magic truly exists. And when Eka explained how easily they blend in with the rest of us like normal people, it's...terrifying."

I feel myself frown at the last word...

"Did everyone finish reading?" Prof. Kemp prods and I adjust myself in my seat, wanting to get on with the discussion. "Were there any peccularities? Any parts that jumped out to you?" He asks totally invested within the topic. 

Not that I really blame him, this mess has been stirring up even before I came to Hogwarts. Newspapers and media-clips began filtering throughout social media, showing rallys and conferences being held for "BELIEVERS" back home on the west-coast. A group of six teens were found dead out in a random field in Colorado, with only one survivor claiming that the attacker was a wizard who tortured each of the victims before killing them. I remember seeing the panic on the face of the girl as she retold her story to the news. "He conducted our deaths...He kept waving his arms as we writhed, begging for it to end...He conducted our deaths..."

Of course when the story broke, an investigation in both worlds was conducted. The murders were inexplainable from a No-Maj stand-point, and were labeled unsolved mysteries, but immediately the Law Enforcement of the MACUSA recognized the use of Unforgivable-Curses.

They quickly found and captured the wizard responsible, and The No-Maj Misinformation department released a few statements, spinning the story to paint the survivor as a paranormal-fanatic looking for validation. Well, she got it. Maybe not from the science community, but slowly from the public. She's been gaining more and more followers, attempting to persuade as many as possible to join her cause to find and expose as many witches and wizards as possible. 

I sit quietly along with the rest of the class until Benni Thomas makes the first note. "...Americans."

A low rustle of laughter sways throughout the room and I roll my eyes in response. 

"Something to add, Ms. Collins?" Prof. Kemp smiles watching me and I sigh gravely. 

"Not really. I just don't find it amusing how you Britts, are still mad about your tea currently decaying at bottom of the Boston Harbor," I reply coolly, adding in a slight shrug. "Not to mention, it was Europe that produced two of the darkest wizards within magical history."

"Gee, I wonder why she knows that?" Uriah Spivins, Captain of the Ravenclaw Quidditch team sneers casuing the other kids to muffle their laughs.

"If I didn't know any better, Ms. Collins. I would say that you almost sound proud," Prof. Kemp comments, quieting the classroom.

"I don't believe proud is the appropriate term...I feel more conflicted than anything."

"How so?" He questions and I exhale. 

"Its unfortunate, on all accounts. I feel for the families of the unsolved murders, because we know the truth and they don't. But I also understand that they can't afford to know, because knowledge without understanding can result in chaos."

"Powerful words," he smiles approvingly, before Trina Elliot chimes in. 

"But is it really, Professor?" She scoffs. "When has knowledge without understanding ever resulted in chaos?"

"Do you honestly hear yourself when you speak?" I quip before I can help myself. "Literally, the Salem Witch Trials were a prime example of knowledge without understanding, resulting in chaos."

"I'm pretty sure the death count was like, 12" Trina giggles showing how insignificant the matter is to her. 

"20," Prof. Kemp corrects. 

"Okay, but even so! They were innocent lives! Not to mention the 200 that were accused and put on trial! Along with Giles Corey, who was pressed to death by boulder!" I exclaim, knowing I've become too passionate once again. "And how dare you even attempt to put a value towards one innocent life, let alone 20. Show some respect."

"Oh I'm sorry, that the fact that you could be hunted down when the term is through isn't keeping me up at night" she laughs  earning another chuckle or two."

"...Do you think it'll really come to that?" Ryan Oakes, a fifth year Hufflepuff asks seriously and the mood of the room becomes heavy. 

"Muggles fear, what they don't understand," Prof. Kemp replies solemnly. "Which is why this class is so important. The only way to unity is to understand, that can only come through knowledge...isn't that right, Ms. Collins."

"Yes," I sigh happy to know he understood my point. 

"But it's still an American fault, to play into what that fanatic is doing?" Benni adds in cluelessly. "I mean, seriously? Taking her trauma on tour? Stirring up 'BELIEVERS' in order to search and destroy, under the pretense of safety and liberation? That's such an American thing to do!"

"I'm sorry," I exaggerate sounding anything but. "But exactly how is the tactical use of manipulating fear to instigate an uprising, solely an 'American' concept..." I finish, earning a few groans at how accurate my argument is. "If anything, we learned it from Great Britain, seeing as how the United States is just one of the many children born out of colonization who eventually rebelled-"

"Ugh! Would you just shut up?" Lorianne Miller, a sixth year Gryffindor complains. "It was a joke-"

"Then he should leave the comedy to Gina Yashere, because I didn't find it funny."

"Alright, ladies let's just end it here-"

"But I only have one final point, and I'll be quiet I promise" I rush out making my eyes look really big, turning vulnerable and pouty like I'm about to cry if I don't get my way. A trick I've seen the other girls do towards Prof. Kemp, and he gives in every time. He's got a hero complex, and I know if I just wait three more seconds-

He sighs heavily, already beginning to regret his choice. "Very well, Ms. Collins...What is it that you wanted to say?"

I smile a little, feeling the tension thicken the air as the entire class waits to hear what I'm going to say. "... the Queen."

A solid beat goes by before the entire class except for Prof. Kemp is in uproar, and I sit in my seat pursing my lips to keep from really laughing.