Chapter Eight

Before You Go

Ok Taecyeon checked the time on his watch for the hundredth times now. Your shift finally ended and he was thrilled about taking you home. He promised himself that he would not mess this one up like he did before.
After 10 more minutes of waiting, finally you came out of the restaurant with SungJong. Hyuna and Lee Joon did the closing up this time. Sungjong bid you goodbye and walked hurriedly to his friends who had been waiting outside alongside Taecyeon.


“How was work?” He asked as the two of you walked slowly at the side of the street.
“It was hectic as usual.” A sigh escaped from your lips.

Taecyeon let out a soft chuckled. He worked in a restaurant before so he knew exactly what you meant. “But that’s work.”

“Yep, that’s work.”

Both of you proceeded various topics until you came to a stop at the basketball court where you first met him.

“You wanna go for a round?” Taecyeon asked.

You blinked at him and took a step back. “We don’t have a ball.”

“Who says we don’t?” He laughed as he ran towards the bleachers and grabbed something underneath it. It was in fact, a basketball. “Up for a game?”

“Oh it’s on!” You laughed.

“I will not go easy on you simply because you are a girl.”

“Oh don’t worry. I won’t feed your ego.” You retorted back and Taecyeon dramatically gasped, a hand to his chest, pretending to be offended.

“Well, aren’t you one feisty lady?” he teased.

 

Without any more talking, the two of you played. Taecyeon really didn’t go easy on you but you weren’t about to give up just yet. He had his advantages because of his height and of course, his skills but you were quick on your feet as well and surprisingly to Taecyeon, you had a wonderful aim. Every single time you made your shot, it went right into the basket.

The game wasn’t serious but both of you played like you were in the championships. Neither of you wanted to back down.

Both of you played until you were out of breath and eventually lay down together on the court with the ball in between.

You were sweating but it felt good. Your body felt good but you were pretty sure that it would ache tomorrow morning. Your muscles must have been shocked.

“The moon is pretty tonight.” Taecyeon commented.

“It has always been pretty.”

“But tonight, it’s especially pretty.” He paused. “Because I’m with you.”

Thump. Thump. Went your heart.

“Everything’s beautiful when it’s with me.” You joked, as you didn’t how else to respond to it.

Taecyeon then propped himself onto one arm and looked at you. You turned your face towards him, with a smile on your face but then, you felt bile coming up your throat as a certain uneventful memory forces to resurface.

You sat down abruptly, causing Taecyeon to fell onto his back again. You had a hand covering your mouth as you forces back a gag. Now you were sweating again but instead of feeling warm, your skin prickled at the sudden coldness you were feeling.

“Are you alright?” Taecyeon sat on one knee. His hand reaching out for you but you motioned for him to stop with your free hand and shook your head.

With much effort, you swallowed your gags and rubbed your temples. “I’m sorry. I don’t feel so good.”

“Is it because of the sudden exercises?” There was a hint of worry in his voice.

You shook your head again. “No.” On reflex, you suddenly gagged.

“You’re sick. Can you walk?”

You were embarrassed but that was the least of your worry now. Your voice wouldn’t come out so you nodded your head when he asked. With much effort, you tried to stand up and rejected Taecyeon’s helping hand.

“I’m sorry.”

“No, there’s nothing to apologize for.” He said. There was not a single hint of disgust in his voice. “I’ll take you home.”

 

You were relieved when you finally arrived. Taecyeon felt guilty for not able to help you out properly. Most probably because you rejected any physical contacts with him. Before you could unlock the gate, you let out another gag and broke into cold sweat. With your legs feeling weak, you ended up crouching, a hand covering your mouth while the other on a knee. You hated this humiliation happening in front of Taecyeon.

“I’ll carry you inside.” He offered as he kneeled next to you “You can barely walk too.”

You couldn’t even look at him but you shook your head hard. “It’s okay. You can go…” Your voice was weak.

“No, I’m worried about you.” This time, you didn’t see him reaching his hand out to your back.

“I don’t think she wants you to touch her.”

Taecyeon stopped his actions and looked up at Kwon Jiyong who was standing on the other side of the gates.

Shakily, you looked at Taecyeon and flashed him a weak smile. “It’s okay. I’ll be fine… thank you but please… just go…”

“You heard her. I’ll take it from here.” Jiyong’s eyes didn’t even leave Taecyeon’s as he unlocked the gate and opened it slightly. He didn’t extend a hand to you.

You grabbed onto the gate and pulled yourself up weakly. Taecyeon kept on guard to catch you just in case you fall but Jiyong remained steady on the other side of the gate, he didn’t reach for you but his hold on the gate maintained firmly.

Your friend just watched you as you shuffled weakly inside.

Jiyong blocked his vision. “Thanks for bringing her home.” That was all he said before he closed the gate and locking it.

Taecyeon couldn’t see you or Jiyong anymore but he pondered for a brief while over who was the man that was rude to him before leaving.

“Why couldn’t things go my way…” He huffed as he made his way back home.

 

Kwon Jiyong was waiting for the water to boil while you were vomiting nonstop in the bathroom. He listened and didn’t say a single word about it. Instead, when you came out, looking terrible and weak, with your pale lips and hollowed eyes, Jiyong just stared at you. You noticed his sharp gaze but decided to ignore it. Quietly, you shuffled into your room and closed the door with a soft click.

 

It must have been hours since you fell asleep because when you woke up, the hall sounded exceptionally quiet. You couldn’t even hear any noises. Not even Jiyong’s screaming was heard.

“Are you feeling better?” Jiyong’s voice was heard from the other side of the door. It was slightly muffled but you could understand him completely. How did he know that you just woke up? “Can I come in? Are you decent?” He asked.

Feeling the dryness in the air, you cleared your throat. “Yes.”

You watched as the door knob turned and a haggard looking Jiyong entered the room. He looked tired as always but tonight there was something more. He looked…worried. His eyebrows creased together and he held a glass of water in his hand.

 

Instead of making his way to the bed, where you were now sitting up, he stood by the doorframe, just staring at you. “I got you water.”

“Thank you.”

“Are you feeling better?”

“I’m not sure.” No. You were not feeling any better. The memories of the incident kept on repeating in your head.

 

As if he was reading you, Jiyong took a step forwards carefully. You didn’t look at him, but instead you played with you thumb, suddenly finding them interesting. Jiyong approached you quietly. Too quiet. He didn’t make a sound.

 

He set the glass on your nightstand and stared at you for a moment. “I’m sorry.”

“What ever for?”

“That you have to endure this alone.”

“I’m used to it. Being alone.”

“It’s not something you should get used to.”

You didn’t indulge him with an answer. He wasn’t expecting any as well. With that, he just tapped the nightstand, indicating that you should drink. When he walked out of your room, he didn’t bother on closing your door.

 

That night, you tossed and turn on your bed, trying to get the horrible memory out of your head. The problem was, the more you tried, the more remembered.

“Why aren’t you asleep yet?”

You were startled by the sound of Jiyong’s clear voice.

“You’re not asleep?”

“How can I when you keep on grunting and making noises from your room?”

With a deep breath, you got up from your bed and walked over to the door. There you saw Jiyong leaning agains’t his doorframe, arms crossed over his chest with a frown on his face, as if he was expecting you.

“Sorry, I can’t sleep.”

“I can tell.” He simply nodded.

“I’ll close my door. Sorry to have disturbed your sleep.”

You bowed slightly, avoiding any eye contact with him because let’s face it. You were too tired to argue or even interact with him.

“Leave it open.” Jiyong put a hand on your door. “Leave it open. At least I can hear you.”

“Wasn't I disturbing you?”

“You were not. Leave it open.”

You gave in and left the door open, shuffling back to your bed. You were exhausted and all you wanted was to sleep in peace. But your mind wouldn’t rest. Whenever you close your eyes, those images came back to you. Quietly, Jiyong just watched you covered yourself with the duvet and went back into his room when you turned your back against him.

In his room, Jiyong sat quietly at the corner of his bed. His eyes never leaving your room. His elbows propped on his knees.

“Sorry I wasn’t able to help you.” He murmured. “Sorry I wasn’t there earlier.”

 


 

“Get out of the house.” Jiyong said as soon as you entered the kitchen.

Baffled at his sudden words, your foot glued to the floor as you stared at him in disbelief. You haven’t even got the chance to look for a house.

 

“I mean go out today. I don’t you to coop up in this house doing nothing. You need to get some fresh air.” He sighed, remembering how terrible you slept yesterday. He knew how it was to have haunting nightmares that never ends. He’d experienced it ever since he witnessed her death.

“Why not? You’re doing it.”

“That’s different.”

“How is it different? I don’t feel like going out. Not today.” You said as you walked to the fridge to grab a carton of milk.

He watched you silently. His eyes traced your pink lips, your messy bed hair and you were wearing an oversized white shirt that slid beautifully down your body. He wondered why you were single. Just then, you spilled the milk over the table top and he sighed.

That’s why.He rolled his eyes, getting up from his place to help you out.

 

You spun on your heels, to grab the towel over the sink when you came in face to face with Jiyong. He moved so quietly that you couldn’t even hear him walking up behind you. Your eyes met his and just like you, he seemed to be holding his breath. His tousled hair drooped over his eyes but his gaze was strong as ever. You’ve never noticed it before but he got the sweetest looking lips and you swore you could have leaned in to kiss them.

 

Jiyong took a step back, clearly taken aback by the turn of events and tossed the towel he had in his hand. “Clean it up.” He didn’t waste any minute in stalking away into his room.

You heard his door slammed shut so loudly that the frames on the wall slightly shook.

 

In his room, Jiyong was crouching down on the floor, his back leaning against the door as he buried his face in his hands. “What the hell…” he referred to his rapidly beating heart.