Chapter Three

Before You Go

“Who are you?” He asked again when you didn’t reply him.

In front of you, stood a young man, probably a few years older than you were. You took in his appearance; He was wearing a pair of ripped jeans and sleeveless shirt that have a weird logo on it with the word “Stylex Change” on it, his messy blond hair fell was short and his fringe fell down just slightly above his eyes. The young man was tall and lean and he had a tattoo of a dragon ball on his shoulder, just slightly above from the hollow under his arms and another tattoo, what seemed like a line of writing on his forearm. You couldn’t make out the words.

Clearly he was as shocked as you as he kept that wary expression on his face. He was minding his own business inside the room, was just going through his old stuffs when you suddenly opened the door. At first he thought it was Seunghyun because Seunghyun loved to drop by unannounced but when he saw you coming in with a glass of water, he was shocked.

“What are you doing in my house? In my room?”

Your eyes widened. My house? My room? This must be the owner! Seunghyun sunbae said the house was unoccupied, clearly he was wrong. Maybe the owner came back and Seunghyun didn’t know. There must have been a mistake.

“I’m sorry- I just wanted to water this plant…” You gulped.

“That still doesn’t answer my question as to what are you doing in my house?”

“Right.” Clearly Seunghyun sunbae didn’t let this guy know what was going on since he asked those questions. You set the glass down on the windowpane, next to the plant. “I’m _____ and I live across your room?” You pointed towards your door.

“What?”

He looked out of the door, where he could your room clearly and turned back to you in confusion. He didn't remember agreeing to let a stranger renting in his house. He didn’t even know you, on what grounds would he even let you rent in his house?

Without another words said to you, he went into your room. You followed him hurriedly. He didn’t say anything but to just pick up your clothes from your bed and shoved them back into your luggage.

“Okay, you need to leave, now.” He didn’t even look at you.

Flabbergasted you shook your head as you tried to stop him from shoving more clothes. “What? No! I don’t have anywhere else to stay!”

“Does it look like I care to you?” He stopped what his doing, huffed his fringe in his frustration. “You need to leave.”

He can’t have anyone living in his house especially not right now. Things were already hard as it was for him and he definitely didn’t need anything else on his place.

Frustrated that he wouldn’t listen to you, you pulled your luggage away from him. He stopped what his doing and faced you, just as equally frustrated. “You can’t do this. I’ve already paid the deposit!”

“The deposit? To who?”

“Seunghyun sunbae-nim!”

Jiyong’s eyebrows creased together, he was more confused than ever. “Seunghyun? He rented this place to you?”

“Yeah! He said I could stay here for as long as I need to. Please,” you clapped your hands together. “I really have nowhere else to go and my classes are starting just within a few days. I don’t have the time to look somewhere else.”

He pinched the bridge of nose. Everything that was happening right now was giving him a massive headache. He wasn’t happy about this but he wasn’t heartless either. “Fine.” He finally said after a long pause. “You can stay but under three conditions: He held out three of his fingers and waved them in front of you face.

“One, don’t ever come into my room again.”

You nodded.

“Two, my house my rules; which means no parties and no unnecessary visitors.”

“Okay, sure I can do that.” You were not the party type anyway so that rule wouldn’t be hard to follow.

“And number three, stay away from me.” Then he stalked out of your room without so much as looking at you.

 

When the sun finally set, you poked your head out of the door. Jiyong scared the wits out of you and clearly, you weren’t ready to face him again. When the coast was clear, instead of walking into the hallway like a normal person, you tiptoed, doing your best not to make any noise.

“He really should have told me that the owner’s still here!” You whispered angrily. You've tried calling Seunghyun for a few times now and he didn't even picked up once. All you wanted was for him to explain why didn't he tell you the owner that you were moving in? Now you have to go through all the trouble of looking for a new house again. Jiyong clearly didn’t want you there and you weren’t going to overstay your welcome either.

It was dinnertime so you were half-expecting to see Jiyong in the kitchen, possible eating but he was nowhere to be found. You couldn’t help but to sigh in relief.

In the meantime, Jiyong was in his room, lying down on his bed with his forearm on his forehead. He didn’t know if he should be angry with Seunghyun or he should just let it go. He wanted to be angry but he couldn’t blame his friend either, not when he was in this condition. If things were the way it used to be, he would have dialed down his friend’s number and screamed at him. But this time, Jiyong decided to let it go. There was no point to it now. He let you stay there anyway even though things were going to be slightly more complicated for him.

The more he dwelled on his thought, the harder his head throbbed. A good night sleep would ease the pain but Jiyong didn’t want to go to sleep just yet. He was afraid of his dreams. He knew very well he could not escape them no matter how long he tried to delay them. So tonight, Jiyong let the pain engulfed him.

 

The next day, Jiyong came out from his room only to see you in his kitchen having breakfast all by yourself at the bar. In front of you were a plate of omelets and toasts.

When you saw him approaching, you felt your stomach shrunk. He had a scowl on his face and his eyes were sharp. It was obvious to you that he was not enjoying your company. Not wanting to get in his way for the fear of the fact that he might kick you out, you quickly grabbed your bag, already planning to dash out of the door.

“I’ve made you breakfast.” You hope this would somehow appease him but instead of saying thank you, Jiyong just waved a dismissal hand at you with he cold “hm hm”.

When Jiyong landed himself on the couch in front of the TV and grabbed the magazine he’d left on the coffee table, you bite your toast and just let it hang from your mouth. Quietly, you made your way to the door and put on your shoes. Before you leave, you turned to Jiyong and bowed to him.

“Thank you for letting me staying here! I’ve made breakfast for you so please enjoy yourself!”

He just looked at you with a bored expression. You felt slightly awkward in the situation when he didn’t so much as to reply to you so you sheepishly rubbed the back of your neck and just walked out of the door.

Jiyong turned his attention back to his magazine but wasn’t reading it anymore. Instead, Jiyong got lost in his thoughts. He survived last night. He didn’t know if you’ve heard anything from his room and he prayed you didn’t. Having to deal with his dreams and nightmares alone was hard enough, having you in the house with this whole situation going on was going to be harder. He really hoped you wouldn’t stay long.

Last night didn’t do him any good either. He fell asleep even though he already did his best not to. Maybe the pain was so overwhelming that Jiyong finally gave in. He didn’t remember. All he knew was that she was there in his dreams again. He needed to know what it meant; he needed to know why was this happening to him.

Jiyong ah…” It was impossible to get her voice out of his mind. “It’s all your fault!”