Chapter Five

Before You Go

 

That night, you tossed and turn in your bed. You’ve tried to go to sleep but the memory of the drunken man getting on top of you, how lustful he’d looked made you shiver to the point that you vomited. You’ve run out to the bathroom a few times now, gagging, and vomiting until nothing came out anymore. You couldn’t shake that horrible memory out of your mind. The more you tried, the harder it was for you to forget. Your eyes were shut tightly and your mind made a desperate attempt to think of something else, every time you shut your eyes, you only saw his face and your mind kept on going to the ‘what could have been’ if Jiyong hadn’t showed up.

Jiyong heard your footsteps rushing to the toilet a few times and he heard you gagged too. He didn’t want to care but he knew, what happened must have affected you. Maybe he was a bit harsh on you. He could have asked you if you were alright but all he did was being a jerk to you when you entered the house. A part of him felt guilty, another part of him didn’t want to care.

Another rush of footsteps was heard outside of his room and a door being slammed shut. Unable to ignore it anymore, Jiyong got out of his room and headed to the bathroom. He knocked once, twice but no answer.

“Are you alright in there?” He asked and the guilt that was gripping his heart fell away a little.

There was still no answer.

“Hey, answer me, are you alright?” Now he felt stupid. You had been going back and forth to the toilet, gagging and vomiting, clearly you weren’t alright. He was asking the obvious. “I’m coming in!”

“I’m fine!” You quickly replied.

Then the door opened abruptly, causing Jiyong to startle a little bit. He took in the sight of you. Your fringe was pasted against your forehead, your face was swollen and your eyes were red as if you had been crying in there. Your hair was slightly disheveled.

“Sorry for using your bathroom so much.” Your voice was low but loud enough for him to hear.

“Use it as many times as you want. I couldn’t care less.” Now that he saw what condition you were in, he headed back into his room and shut the door.

You shuffled into yours, shutting the door behind you too and slumped onto the floor.

The memory replayed itself. You wanted it to stop. You wanted it to be gone. But then you realized something. Within all the midst of chaos, Jiyong had appeared out of nowhere. You didn’t hear the gate rattled open nor was it remained open when Jiyong wanted to go inside when he heard the siren. He couldn’t have opened it carefully or locked it up before he pushed that man off you. You didn’t even hear his footsteps. Maybe he jumped over the gate and you just didn’t notice. Maybe he did open the gate but you just didn’t hear it.

Your mind whirred around once more and everything around you started to blur. Before you knew it, darkness engulfed you.

 

When the next day came, you woke up in your bed. Instead of getting up immediately, you stayed in bed for a while, trying to process what happened yesterday. It was painful for you, your head throbbed and your heart pounded in worry. You were not feeling at ease at all. Last time, you remember falling asleep on the floor, to be waking up comfortably in bed was a huge mystery to you. Maybe you sleepwalked into your bed and you just didn’t remember it.

Last night’s unwanted memory came flooding into your mind. You saw the man’s face and bile built up your throat. You felt disgusted that he was even touching you. When Jiyong came into the picture, it didn’t make it any better. If anything, your heart was aching. He was just a stranger but to know that someone really disliked you that much really hurt your feelings. You’ve never done anything to him, nor did you hurt him in any way before this. He didn’t have to go so far just to hurt your feelings like this.

You were so lost in your thoughts that you didn’t hear the knocking on your door. “Are you alright?” A female’ voice was heard from the other side of the door, making you snapped out of your thoughts immediately.

“Hey, _____?” It was Joy’s. What on earth was she doing here?

Jiyong was going to flip out if he knew that your friend was in here.

You clumsily got out of your bed and opened the door. Joy was standing in front of you but you eyes were on Jiyong’s door behind her. It was closed. Maybe he was inside there. Maybe he was still sleeping and he didn’t notice then.

“Hey, uhm, what are you doing here?” You sniffed, clearing your sore throat.

“You didn’t come to class today so I just wanted to drop by and give you the brief to our next project.” She headed back into the living room with you trailing behind her.

Class was over?

You looked at the clock on the wall, just above the television and your heart almost dropped to see what time it was. Well past noon. “I missed class today?!”

Your friend was busy getting the brief out of her bag and placed it on the coffee table. “Here’s the brief of what we need to do… and are you feeling better now?”

With a sniff, you just nodded your head without looking at her but at the brief on the coffee table. “Did I miss anything today?”

“Not really. But you have to go and see Mr. Jo and show him your progression on your project.

“Right right.” You waved a nonchalant hand at her and then you remembered something. “How did you get in here?”

This was when Joy’s face changed. She looked irritated. “You didn’t lock your gate or the front door.” She stared at you blankly. You knew that look too well. It had all the “you-know-better-than-that’ radiating from it. “That was really dangerous, _____! What if a bad person came in here and you were all alone?!”

You were pretty sure you’ve locked the gate and the door last night. Or maybe you didn’t. Your first instinct told you that you’ve locked it. Usually you would trust your first instinct because from what you’ve learned so far, the first instinct was always correct but seeing how Joy was going on and on about how you didn’t lock the gate and the door made you really wonder if you really had left them unlocked for one whole night.

“—thank goodness it was only me!” She finished.

Seeing the terrible state you were in, Joy could only sigh and grabbed her things. “You need to wash up after this and rest. Don’t do anything else, not even this—“ she pointed at the brief. “Have a good rest. I’ll let myself out.” While she was stalking towards the exit, Joy stopped abruptly and turned to look at you while her thumb pointed towards the kitchen. “I’ve thrown out the toasts. It was hard as rock. Next time, try to make food in a small portion since it’s only you living here, okay?”

“Alright mom, now go.” You chuckled but Joy just rolled her eyes.

“Okay, I’m going. You better take care of yourself. Hit me up if you need anything.”

The door behind her was closed and you watched her through the window as she made her way out of the gate and locking it before walking away.

Joy had always been taking care of you since you’ve first become friends with her. She always got your back just as how you got her back. She had that motherly side of her, it wasn’t obvious that it was there.

 

“She’s gone?” You yelped at the sound of Jiyong’s voice. “I’m asking you if she’s gone?” You were surprised that he was home. You’ve assumed that he’d gone out since the sun was already high up in the sky.

“Yes, she is.” Just like last night, you didn’t hear his footsteps.

“Okay.” And that was it. He didn’t say anything else.

Your eyes followed Jiyong as he saw down on the couch and the television. He didn’t even look at you or even bother to ask you how you were feeling after last night.

“Is there anything that you want to say?” He broke the silence between you, eyes locked on the television in front of him.

“Uhm, I’m sorry about Joy. I guess I didn’t lock the gate and the door, it won’t happen again.”

“It better not.”

His short responses always irritated you. Why couldn’t he be nicer? He didn’t even bother to eat the breakfast you’ve made him. Which reminded you.

“Why didn’t you eat yesterday’s breakfast?”

“Why should I?” His expression was blank, as if there were no emotions in him.

“I made that…”

“I know and again, why should I eat it?” Now he looked at you. He had a brow raised but his eyes were cold as eyes. He really didn’t care.

You couldn’t find the perfect answer to his question. He was right. Why should he eat it? The two of you were just strangers and he made it very clear not to bother him on your encounter.

“Nevermind.”

You weren’t going to deal with this anymore. Jiyong can ignore you and be as cold as he wanted, you weren’t going to have any more of this attitude of his. Since he wanted to you to leave him alone, that was what you were going to do. You were going to mind your own business and pretended that he didn’t exist, just as how he did to you.

 

After a few hours spending your time in your room, you decided to go out for some fresh air. It was already 5PM and the weather wasn’t that bad. It was perfect for an evening walk.

Not wanting to spend any more second in the house with Jiyong, you got up and bathed before slipping into new set of fresh clothes. After that, without even saying anything to Jiyong, who was just lying down on the couch with a book in his hands, you walked out of the house.

It felt like you were being rude but that was nothing compared to how Jiyong had been with you.

 

It was cloudy outside but it wasn’t about to rain. Just cloudy and bright and the gentle breeze grazed softly against your skin. You walked along the street, watching other people. Some were exercising, some were jogging, children were playing tag and a few others just walked in different directions, heading towards their destination.

At first, you walked around aimlessly but then you thought maybe you could stop by the basketball court nearby and just watch people play. You did just that.

There were boys of different age playing basketball together. Some seemed a bit younger than you; some were probably your age, maybe even older. You could definitely differentiate between the college students and the high school students.

You sat on the bleachers along with the others who were there just to pass time, or to actually cheer for someone. You didn’t know any one from the game but one guy caught your eyes.

He had that wide smile whenever he got the ball and every time scored, his friends would come running to him and patted him. Sometimes, even messed up his hair. He had a grey baggy shirt on which revealed his sun-kissed skin. Every time he moved, his muscles flexed and his broad shoulders showed that he was a really well built person.

You were so focused on him that you didn’t notice that a ball was thrown off into your direction. It was only at the last minute you managed to dodge it by having it missing you by a few inches.

“Hey! You okay?!” The guy you were staring at asked. He jogged towards you, climbed up the bleachers effortlessly as he retrieved the ball.

His eyes were filled with concern as he eyed you up and down, making sure that you were unharmed. “Are you alright?”

“Yes, I am.” He was more handsome now that you’ve seen him up close. He had that masculine scent to him that could make any girl swoon.

“I’m glad. Sorry about this.” Then he went back down to the court and threw the ball to his friend as he shouted about how he should be careful where he threw the ball.

His friends just sheepishly apologized and looked at you, giving you thumbs up. From his expression, you could tell that he was asking if you were fine and you returned the thumbs up, indicating that you were fine.

The game went on for another hour and when it finally ended, you stood up, ready to take your leave when the guy who gave you a thumbs up stopped you.

“Hi,” He smiled.

“Oh, hi?” You returned his smile. “Can I help you somehow?”

“Oh no no, I just want to say I’m sorry. I should have apologized earlier but my friend there-“ he pointed at the guy who retrieved the ball from the bleachers, “beat me to it.”

“It’s fine, I’m fine.”

“I’m glad.” He paused for a moment, crossing his hands against his chest. “I guess I should get going then,”

“Me too.” And so you left.

 

That night, you were as busy as ever at work. Dinnertime was crazy but no trouble came up so far. Everything was running smoothly. But you were worried. At the back of your mind, the incident that occurred last night was there. You were scared to go home alone; maybe you could ask Hyuna and Lee Joon to accompany you home. Just for tonight, just until you got yourself together.

“Hi! Welcome!” You greeted the two customers that were coming inside the restaurant.

To your surprise, they were the two guys you’ve met earlier. One was the one with the sun-kissed skin while the other was the one who talked to you before you left the court.

“It’s you!” The sun-kissed skin guy smile.

How you adore that beautiful smile of his.

“So you work here?” His friend asked and you nodded.

“Right, uhm, have a seat, anywhere you like!” You tried pulling yourself together. You really need to get your act together.

Once they’ve settled, you flipped your small notebook opened, ready to take their orders.

“Two bottle of Soju, and…” the talkative one looked at his friend, who was looking at you. “Hey, what do you want?”

“I’ll just have whatever goes well with soju.”

“Dried squid?” You offered.

“Sounds good.” He flashed the smile that you adored so much again. “Oh and beef too.”

“Coming right up!”

 

Hyuna had been watching you since the two guys came in and when you entered the kitchen, she pulled you aside with a cheeky smile on her face. “Who’s that?”

“I have no idea, I just met them this evening.”

“He’s cute.”

“I know,” you said dreamily. “Ugh, his smile is adorable. He’s really tall too ya know, you should have seen him playing basketball.”

“Wait, which one are you talking about?”

You looked at the guy that was capturing your heart with his smiles. “The one in red jacket. Which guy are you talking about?”

“The one with the snapback and sleeveless shirt. He’s lean but toned. Kinda cute too.”

“He looks like he’s sleepy all the time. Pretty sure he’s younger than you too.” You tilted your head, trying to get a better look at the guy’s friend.

“Your taste isn’t so bad either. But he’s too well built for me, I like my man cute, and well, I just like men in general but the guy in red is yours.” She laughed and poked your nose. “At least get his name. Oh! Get his name too please.”

You knew which one Hyuna was referring to.

 

The customers received their food not too long after their orders. Seungho and Lee Joon were doing a great job in the kitchen, and tonight, your other male co-worker; Lee SungJong came to work too so there were a lot of helping hand.

“Order’s up for table 6!” Lee Joon rang the bell.

“Can you please get that, _____?” Hyuna asked as she was busy picking up the bowls and plates from a table.

“Absolutely!” With a cheerful smile, you picked up the order for table 6 and gave the couple that was sitting there, their food.

The two guys you’ve met earlier were sitting next to them. They were enjoying food through and through and the guy in the red shirt called you over.

“I would like to order more dried squid please?”

“Sure!” You beamed. “Give me five okay?”

“And one more thing-“ he wanted to grab your forearm but refrained himself. “When does your shift ends?”

“Ooooooh, Taecyeon you sly fox!” His friend cooed.

Seeing how you were slightly taken aback by his question, Taecyeon looked away as he blushed slightly. “I just thought that maybe we can be friends…”

Your mouth formed an ‘O’, you couldn’t help but blush at his statement.

He asked about your shift but you weren’t going to give him the answer. At least not yet, not until you’ve known him well. You didn’t want anything like yesterday repeating.

“We can be friends.” You introduced yourself with a warm smile curved on your lips.

Taecyeon simply stared at you as if he was awestruck. In fact, he was. “That’s a beautiful name.” He commented. Just like you. Of course he didn’t say that out loud. He just met you today but he couldn’t deny that you were beautiful. Your appearance were just okay, you didn’t have that chiseled face that everybody seemed to want. But there was something about you that made you looked beautiful no matter what you do. Perhaps it was the smile. The smile that could melt so many hearts as it was sweet and full of warmth.

“I’m Ok Taecyeon, and this is Kim Hyojong.” He patted his friend’s shoulder roughly. “You still didn’t say when does your shift ends.”

“Maybe next time?” His face fell at your answer. “It’s just that…” You didn’t know how to put it into words.

Suddenly, an arm slung over your shoulders and pulled you close. “She’s booked for tonight, sorry boys!” It was Hyuna.

Taecyeon looked relieved. “Oh, I see.” He started to look alive again. “I guess you’re right. Next time then.”

“Next time.” You confirmed him.

 

Hyuna still had her arm slung around your shoulder when you two made it into the kitchen. “Thanks.”

“No problem.”

Your co-workers all knew what happened yesterday and you were really grateful that Hyuna came to help you with Taecyeon. He seemed like a really nice guy but you just didn’t feel like trusting anyone you’ve met so soon. It hadn’t even been a day since you’ve met him!

“We’re sending you home tonight, alright? No arguments.” Lee Joon insisted.

He almost flipped out when you told them what happened earlier before the restaurant opened. Seungho kept on checking up on you while you were working, worried that you might not be feeling well. He reassured you so many times that night that it was fine if you wanted to leave early but you refused the offer.

 

Once the customers were gone, the restaurant was closed up. It was earlier than expected but only half an hour before midnight. It was still late at night. Lee Joon and Hyuna both walked beside you. Seungho had already gone home, dropping SungJong at his place along the way.

“Thank goodness you’re alright.” Hyuna suddenly said as you three turned into a corner.

“Yeah. Don’t you have anyone that could walk you home? Maybe you can change to the day shift?” Lee Joon suggested.

Having a day shift would be great but you got classes to attend so day shift was impossible. You shook your head as an answer to his question. “I got classes.”

“Right. I forgot.”

“Thank you guys…” You sighed. “Thanks for accompanying me. I’m just scared to go home by myself right now. I know that your houses are in the opposite direction but thank you-“

“Oh quit it! That’s what friends are for, _____” Hyuna shushed you. “You’ve helped me out a lot. This is the least I could do for you. It’s no trouble.”

And so, the three of you talked about other things. Lee Joon told you that he joined a swimming club at his university and will start practicing with the others some time around next week, Hyuna was telling how well her students were doing in studies now and how they’ve improved their grades in exams.

“That’s because they got a good teacher.” You stated and Lee Joon agreed.

The three of you kept on talking until you’ve reached your house. The two waited for you to go inside your house safely before walking away.

 

The living room was dark but you could still distinguish the figure that was lying on the couch. Jiyong must be sleeping there tonight instead of his room. Deep down, you wanted to wake him up and tell him to go and sleep on his bed just so he wouldn’t have an aching body the next morning but you knew Jiyong would want you to leave him alone. So, you went inside your bedroom. Just as you were about to close the door, a shriek came from the leaving room.

Worried that something might have happened, you dashed to where the shriek was coming from and saw that Jiyong was now on the floor, tossing around violently as he screamed for forgiveness.

“I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” He repeated. “Don’t go- I’m sorry. Please-“

Begging. You realized.

Then he started to cough and wheezed and his breathing was uneven. You rushed to his side. Whether he liked it or not, you were going to wake him up. You shook him by the arm. He didn’t even hear you. He couldn’t hear you over his own screaming.

It was starting to get warm and you could see the tears escaping from his eyes. “I’m sorry.” He croaked.

“Jiyong, wake up.” You shook him again, harder this time.

With a gasp, Jiyong opened his eyes, only to half-close them. He looked at you the way he never looked before. You couldn’t tell what he was thinking. But his hand made up its way to your face and caressed your cheek.

“I love you…” he breathed.