Side Story: Wheein

You, In My Memory

She missed this; she missed her.

She buried her face in Yongsun’s pink hair and breathed in her flowery scent – a delightful mix of her shampoo and perfume. A pleasant shiver ran down her spine when she felt Yongsun’s mouth pressed against her neck; her arms around the older woman automatically tightened.

“I miss you,” the words tumbled out of before she could stop herself.

A soft sigh escaped from Yongsun. “I miss you too…”

After a while, Wheein pulled away and pressed their foreheads together. “I’ve always known something wasn’t right,” she whispered. “You were so good to me, unnie. So ing good…and then that happened.”

“I’m so sorry,” Yongsun gently rubbed her nose against Wheein’s, “I didn’t know he was stalking me until that day.” She let out a long sigh and added, “I thought I would never see him again after that date-”

Wheein drew away to glare at Yongsun. “You said you weren’t dating him.”

“He was my blind date,” Yongsun quickly explained. “My mother set us up.”

Wheein frowned. “Why?”

“She was worried when I was still single after breaking up with my last boyfriend.” Yongsun looked at Wheein with a grim smile. “I should have told her that I was with you the whole time.”

Wheein shook her head. “It’s okay, unnie. We agreed that we weren’t ready to tell everyone back then.”

Yongsun started to nod, but a frown formed on her face instead. “Wheein-ah, where are the others?” she asked, looking around the apartment. “Did they leave?”

Wheein gasped. “Those little…they left without cleaning up!”

Yongsun chuckled. “It’s okay,” she said as she planted a soft kiss on Wheein’s cheek. “I’ll help you out.”

Between the two of them, the clean-up work was faster and smoother. In a few minutes, the table was cleared of dirty dishes and the floor was spotless and free from rubbish and stubborn stains.

“What happened with the stalker after I left?”

They were at the sink together, cleaning the dishes, when Wheein posed her question. She still felt guilty about running away and leaving Yongsun alone with the stalker; she should have listened when Yongsun tried to reach out to her.

“I called the cops and filed a restraining order,” Yongsun answered. “Even with all that, he was still stalking me. Now, he’s in jail.”

The guilt of not being there was killing Wheein on the inside. “I’m sorry you had to go through that, unnie,” she said in a quiet voice, hoping that Yongsun would never have to experience that again.

Yongsun shrugged. “At least my mom doesn’t make me go on blind dates anymore,” she joked, trying to lighten the mood.

Wheein smiled at her attempt. “How is your mother?” she asked. “Does she know you’re back?”

“Yes, she does,” Yongsun sighed. “Actually, she’s the reason I came back.”

“Oh.” Suddenly, Wheein felt embarrassed for assuming that Yongsun had returned because of her. “D-Did something happen?”

“I got a message saying that she was dying and wanted to see me, but when I got here and rushed to the hospital, she was quite healthy and extremely loud.” Yongsun paused and smiled bitterly. “Apparently, it was a mild case of food poisoning and she was never in danger of dying.”

“She must have missed you, unnie,” Wheein reasoned, handing Yongsun the last plate to dry, “that’s why she reached out to you.”

“She called for me when she thought she was dying,” Yongsun pointed out as she took the plate from Wheein and dried it with furious motions. “She should have contacted me as soon as she was admitted.”

“At least she’s not sick anymore…”

“Yeah, but now she’s trying to set me up with her doctor.”

Wheein raised an eyebrow. “I thought she’s stopped doing that…”

Yongsun shrugged. She finished drying the plate and placed it on the rack. “She said she’s more careful this time and she thinks I’ll like her too.”

“Wait. Her?” Wheein scowled. “She’s setting you up with a lady doctor?”

Yongsun hesitated. “I know what we said about not telling people about us,” she said carefully as she neatly placed the dish rag on the counter, “but I got really angry with my mom and I accidentally told her about you. So now she knows I like girls.”

Wheein crossed her arms and scowled. “Have you dated other women after me, unnie?”

“No…but if my mom really goes through with this, the doctor will be my first.”

Wheein didn’t like the sound of that; she was finally feeling comfortable around Yongsun again and she didn’t want their time together to end just yet.

“You really want to date her, unnie?” she asked.

“Mom can be very persuasive if she-”

Her words faltered when she felt Wheein’s hand in hers. She looked at Wheein with questioning eyes.

“Don’t,” Wheein whispered, looking at Yongsun with pleading eyes. “Please don’t date her.”

“Give me a good reason not to,” Yongsun said as she intertwined their fingers together. “I’m single right now and you’re not my girlfriend, Wheein-ah.”

Wheein knew what Yongsun was getting at, but she didn’t know if her heart was ready. “I want to be with you, unnie,” she said, squeezing Yongsun’s hand tightly, “but I’m scared. Will you still love me even when I run away from you? Do you really want to be with someone like that, unnie?”

Yongsun cupped her cheek with her free hand and smiled softly. “I want you, Jung Wheein,” she whispered. “If you run, I’ll chase you. Whatever I have to do, I’ll do it. I’m not letting you go a third time, Wheein-ah.”

Wheein stared into Yongsun’s dark eyes; she saw the determination and love shining in them and her wilted heart slowly bloomed back to life. Tears sprung to her eyes and she let them fall freely down her face while curved into a tender smile.

Yongsun leaned down and kissed the tears away, murmuring “I love you” with every peck. slowly moved down Wheein’s cheek, along her jaw and finally grazed her lips.

Wheein’s eyes fluttered close and a soft sigh escaped her parted lips. Her hands travelled up lean arms until they tangled in soft pink hair. She hummed in delight when she felt strong hands gripped her hips and pulled her closer.

The kiss was slow and unhurried, but it made Wheein melt all the same. When she finally broke the kiss, she was breathless and her knees were trembling. twitched when she saw the hazy look in Yongsun’s eyes and the tell-tale flush in her cheeks – she was glad that she wasn’t the only one affected by that kiss.

Wheein suddenly had the urge to tease the older woman. She stepped out of Yongsun’s arms and leaned against the kitchen counter for support (her knees were still feeling weak).

“Let’s go out and get some ice cream, unnie,” she said, showing off the dimple that she knew no one could resist. “I’m starting to crave for something cold and sweet.”

Yongsun stared at her in disbelief. “N-Now?”

Wheein giggled. “Yes, now.”

Yongsun looked like she wanted to protest, but another flash of that dimpled smile melted her resolve and she obediently followed Wheein out the door.