Part 11

You, In My Memory

It had been nearly a week since Byulyi slept over at Hyejin’s place.

Since then, Hyejin barely saw her.

Hyejin wanted to believe that it was because of her work with Yongsun, but she couldn’t help thinking that Byulyi was spooked by her random flashbacks.

Today, Byulyi finally had some free time to meet her for coffee.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t take you out on a proper date,” Byulyi said, smiling wryly.

Her face was paler than usual and there were dark circles visible under her eyes; she looked like a living zombie.

Hyejin swallowed the urge to strangle Yongsun and just gave Byulyi a sympathetic smile.

“Is it the accounts or the photoshoots that’s keeping you up?” she asked. Byulyi had mentioned that she majored in accounting and minored in photography while she was in America. “You looked like you haven’t slept in days…”

Byulyi pinched the bridge of her nose and let out a long sigh. “It’s both…and you’re right. I haven’t been sleeping properly. Especially these past couple of days.”

Hyejin scowled. “Why is Yong-unnie making you work so hard?” she grumbled. “Aren’t there other photographers or accountants to help her?”

“I got people helping me with the accounts,” Byulyi took a sip of her coffee and let out a satisfied sigh, “but they’re short on photographers. Yong is being extra picky about them and she wouldn’t budge no matter what I say. Plus, the models will throw tantrums when I’m not around…”

Hyejin raised an eyebrow. “Should I come over and tell them off?” she asked in a serious tone. “Or maybe I should just show them that you’re off-limits.”

Byulyi chuckled and leaned over the table to peck . “You’re so cute when you’re jealous, Hyejin-ah.”

Just like that, Hyejin froze in her seat and a scene from the past played in front of her…

 

It was absurd.

She was obviously within Unnie’s strike zone – cute and full with aegyo, just like Wheein.

So why was I surprised when I saw them together? Why did I want to push her away and hog Unnie all to myself?

It was even more absurd because Wheein, the girl I’m head-over-heels for, was sitting right next to me and yet I found my eyes constantly wandering towards the pair across the table.

I decided that I should just ignore them and put on my best poker face before giving Wheein my full attention, but my ears kept perking up every time I hear her voice.

“Siah, you have something on your face…”

“Can you please get it for me, unnie?”

“Why are you acting so spoiled?” she chided, but I knew she would do it anyway.

“Thanks, unnie!”

As I decided to glance over at them, I saw Siah pressing her lips against Unnie’s cheek and the blush on Unnie’s face told me that she didn’t mind it at all.

Just that sight was enough to get my blood boiling – I didn’t like it one bit, but it wasn’t my place to tell them off either. All I knew was that I needed to get out of there.

I stood up abruptly and muttered some lame excuse before rushing out of the restaurant.

The clouds ahead seemed to mirror my mood – they were dark and ominous. Suddenly, there was a booming sound and rain started to fall.

I pulled my jacket closer to my body, ducked my head and trudged along the pavement, kicking anything and everything in my path.

Suddenly, I felt someone grabbed my arm and pulled me to a stop. I swivelled around, hands poised to strike whoever it was, but I froze when I saw that it was her.

“You walk…so damn…fast,” she gasped, one hand still on my arm. Then, she straightened up and held out a yellow umbrella over my head. “I didn’t want you to get wet, so I came to give you this,” she looked me over and chuckled, “but I guess it’s no use since you’re all drenched.”

“Is that all?” I asked coolly, twisting my arm out of her grip and shoved my hands in my jacket’s pockets. “You just came here to give me this umbrella right?”

She hesitated. “Is something wrong, Hyejin-ah?” she asked, looking at me with concerned eyes. “You left so suddenly…”

I closed my eyes and sighed. When I opened them again, I noticed that half of her body was soaked. “Unnie, come closer,” I said sternly.

When she didn’t move, I grabbed her wrist and tugged her towards me until we were both standing under the umbrella; my hand automatically moved to her waist, holding her in place. I held my breath when I realized that our faces were only inches apart.

“You were getting wet,” I explained lamely when I saw the question in her eyes.

She smiled and quietly thanked me.

We stood like that for what seemed like hours. Then, I spoke.

“Unnie…”

The sound of the rain filled my ears and I was sure she wouldn’t hear me either, so I inched closer until I could feel the warmth radiating from her skin. I inhaled sharply and accidentally breathed in her scent. My head felt a little light when I finally found my voice.

“Unnie, two weeks ago, you told me that you like me…is that still true?”

She placed a hand behind my back and pressed our bodies close together before placing near my ear. “Yes,” she murmured. “I still like you, Hyejin-ah.”

I clutched at the front of her T-shirt with both hands and let my head fall on her shoulder. “Then why are you with her?” I asked with an edge in my voice and hit her chest once. “Why are you trying to set me up with Wheein if you like me?”

“I…I want to see you happy, Hyejin-ah. Being with Wheein makes you happy, so I thought-”

“I don’t need your help, unnie,” I snapped, hating how my voice cracked when I said it. I raised my head and looked at her squarely in the eyes. “What I do need is for you to stop setting up double dates for us and stop flirting with another girl in front of me!”

She looked at me blankly and then smirked.

“Hyejin-ah….”

“What?”

“Are you jealous right now?”

“J-Jealous?” I stammered, feeling my face heating up despite the cold. “Wh-why would I be jealous?”

She surprised me when she suddenly leaned in and planted a kiss in between my brows. “You’re so cute when you’re jealous, Hyejin-ah,” she murmured.

 

The flashback ended there and Hyejin found Byulyi staring at her with a frown.

Hyejin blinked. “Sorry. Flashback,” she explained simply.

“Because I kissed you?”

Hyejin shook her head. “Because you said I look cute when I’m jealous.”

“Was there rain, a yellow umbrella and a girl named Siah?”

Hyejin nodded, suddenly finding her fingers strangely interesting.

Byulyi nodded, recalling that particular memory. Then, she smirked. “I wonder what Siah is doing n-OW!”

Hyejin glared at Byulyi after successfully kicking her in the shin.

Byulyi winced and rubbed her throbbing limb. “I stand by my words,” she whimpered with a pained smile etched onto her face. “Your jealousy is cute…but a little painful.”

Byulyi successfully moved her legs just in time to avoid another brutal kick from Hyejin. Hyejin frowned at the failed attempt and then decided to let it go because she was that mature.

“Can you make it to Wheein’s birthday party tonight?” she asked instead, sipping on her iced coffee.

“I won’t miss it for the world,” Byulyi answered with a grin. Then, she hesitated. “Can I bring Yongsun along?”

Hyejin raised an eyebrow. “As a date?”

“Hyejin-ah…”

“Okay, I’m sorry. I don’t know what to tell Wheein without upsetting her…”

“Just tell her I’m bringing a friend.”

Hyejin raised an eyebrow. “I’ll try asking, but you know how Wheein gets with strangers…”

“She’ll say yes. Trust me.”

Hyejin didn’t look convinced, but she slowly nodded her head. “Promise me that you’ll take responsibility if Yong-unnie things up.”

Byulyi gave her a three-finger salute. “Yes, ma’am. I promise.”