Part 1

You, In My Memory

It was the first time.

The first time that her eyes were drawn to one particular person and stayed there.

She stood still with a half-emptied glass in one hand, parted slightly as she admired the woman across the room; she wasn’t dressed as glamorously as her friend, but she still stood out.

Suddenly, the woman turned her head and their eyes met.

She wanted to look away, but something about the woman made her continue to stare.

The woman said something to her friend before walking away...towards her.

She quickly snapped out of her trance and swivelled around, turning her back on the approaching woman; her heart wasn’t ready for this.

Please walk past me. Please walk past me.

She felt a tap on her shoulder and her heart jumped.

“Excuse me?”

She bit her lip, debating whether she should turn around or not. Her curiosity won and she turned.

“H-Hi,” she said shyly.

The woman smiled. “Hi.”

“Um, do you want something from me?”

“Wow. This is awkward.” The woman looked at her with a crooked smile. “I thought you wanted something from me. I mean, you were staring at me…”

She blushed. “I-I’m sorry about that. I don’t usually do that. Stare, I mean…”

The woman chuckled. “I guess there’s always a new way to meet people,” she said cheerfully. Then, she extended a hand and added, “My name’s Moon Byulyi.”

She took Byulyi’s hand and smiled. “My name is Ahn Hyejin.”

Byulyi blinked. “Ahn Hyejin…?”

“Yes? What is it?”

“Oh, nothing.” Byulyi smiled and gave Hyejin’s hand a gentle squeeze. “I used to know someone named Hyejin...”

Hyejin smiled back. “I guess it’s a pretty common name…”

Byulyi nodded once and said nothing.

 

Hyejin believed that it was the alcohol that did it.

It would explain why she is now in a bathroom stall, pinning Byulyi against the wall while locking lips with her.

But Byulyi was stronger and she easily switched their positions; Hyejin was now pinned against the wall with Byulyi’s leg in between hers. Hyejin moaned into Byulyi’s mouth as her hands roamed the other woman’s back and finally settled on her behind, pulling her impossibly closer.

When they finally pulled away to catch their breaths, they were both smiling.

But even after their breathing had steadied, neither of them made a move; they were standing still inside the stall, staring into each other’s eyes.

With the cloud of desire now dissipated, Hyejin could finally attempt to make sense of her feelings.

Firstly, she had to admit that the alcohol was only part of the reason they’re here in the first place.

The handshake started it; the jolt she felt from that initial touch sparked something inside her, like a wakeup call she didn’t even know she needed. Then, the kiss; it was like a venting-out session between two estranged lovers, which struck Hyejin as odd because they were strangers moments before.

Now this.

Being in Byulyi’s arms, Hyejin felt that it was exactly where she belonged; like she had finally come home after a long journey.

“You’re quiet,” Byulyi remarked. “Is something bothering you?”

Hyejin shook her head and smiled. “No, everything’s perfect.” She paused and her smile faltered. “I guess that is bothering me. A little bit.”

Byulyi frowned. “What is it?”

This…” Hyejin pointed at Byulyi and then at herself. “This is strange.”

“What do you mean?”

“We just met. This don’t happen between people who just met.”

Byulyi raised an eyebrow. “Yes, it does. It’s called a-”

Hyejin placed a manicured finger on Byulyi’s lips. "I don’t want this to be just a one-time thing. I know it sounds weird, but I don’t want to say goodbye to you after tonight.”

Byulyi chuckled. “I’m glad we’re on the same page,” she murmured as she pulled Hyejin’s finger away and leaned in to kiss her on the lips.

It wasn’t as urgent and fiery as before; it was sweet and tender, like how lovers would kiss.

Are we lovers now?

Hyejin didn’t know. She just knows that she likes kissing Byulyi like this; like it was the most natural thing for them to do.

“Byul,” Hyejin murmured in between kisses. “My legs are getting tired…”

Byulyi laughed and pulled away. “I guess we should stop-”

Hyejin tugged on Byulyi’s shirt and pouted. “But I don’t want to stop,” she said. “I like kissing you. Can’t we kiss more?”

Byulyi stared at her, a little taken aback. Then, she chuckled and said, “Sure. My place?”

Hyejin blinked. “W-Wait. Are we going to-”

“N-No. Just kissing. I promise.”

Hyejin hesitated. Then, she grabbed Byulyi’s waist and leaned up to kiss her on the mouth. When she pulled away, Byulyi was looking at her with curious eyes.

Hyejin shrugged as she interlaced their fingers. “Just to let you know that I’m okay with it if you want to do more than kissing.”

As she led the way out of the bathroom, Hyejin took a glance at the mirror and smiled when she saw Byulyi’s blushing reflection.