Everything happens for a reason

Music of the Heart

Chapter 1

Every journey starts on a single step. A step which could pre determine the course of ones destiny. May it be in love or every decision we make in life. With that being said, taking that fiery step isn't always the easiest one. It is actually the hardest.  The thought of doing something or going somewhere where you don't have any idea to where it leads to seems to be the primary thought that would prohibit someone in taking the first tentative step.  Taking a chance to what lies ahead. Grasping what could be your destiny. Your future. The definition of you. 

As Karly sits on the waiting area of Heathrow terminal 3 awaiting for the flight to Seoul, South Korea with her 2 cousins. Looking at the company she has. 'How can the two sit and drink their latte as if they are about to go on holiday? Why are they so relaxed?'She thought.  Contemplating to the agreement she made with her two cousins, Zach and Joel and knowing what is ahead. Karly can’t help but mentally slap her face for what she was about to do.  ‘This is not what I studied for!’ She thought herself. ‘I did not waste 5 yrs of sleepless nights in nursing school just to go to Korea to be a backing vocal for some group. I don’t even speak Korean. What have I done?’ She continued.

Karly love singing, but she never sees herself doing it as a profession. For her there are only 2 places she would sing in front of people and that’s on church and ‘Louder’ the charity show that happens every 2 months that help build and support schools in Africa and South East Asia. The charity organisation her friend founded and she and her other friends support.

Karlys’ train of thought were interrupted when the announcement was made. “Flight no. SK0417 to Seoul, Korea is ready to depart” 

“Do I have to go? Can I back out?” looking at Zach who is the older of the two with her puppy dog eyes hoping her older cousin will agree.

“You think that’s going to work K? Think again” Zach responded. “Let’s Go!” As she force herself to get up and drag herself to the queue that is building up Joel spoke. “Yah! I thought you want to do something out of the ordinary after you finish masters’/specialists’ degree?” 

“I did but this is not what I have in mind” Karly responded with a pout. “What is it then?” Zach joins in the conversation. “Well I was thinking of going to Tanzania to help out the charity/project or go back to Philippines and go and work for Auntie Rose since she offered me to join her charity work going to villages and work at the hospital she owns.”  She explains “That’s all and well K but you can do that even when you’re working full time.” Joel explains. “Plus at the end of this you’ll get what we promised you, your canon EOS 1D X digital that you’ve been eyeing since the beginning of the year” he teasingly added.  “Why do you have to make everything some kind of bargain/ business deals?” she snapped back. Giving both death glares, a tiger look as her dad call it. “If you want to give it to me you don’t have to do any bargaining like this. I can understand if you don’t want to give it to me and I know how expensive it is you know?” She huffed and sat down on her allocated seat putting her seatbelt on. She turns and looks at the window. Realising that the youngest was annoyed, Zach, being the understanding cousin that he is sat down next to her and put his hand on youngest shoulder.

“K, knowing you when you start working back as a specialist nurse all you do is work, work, work and maybe doing ‘Louder’ in between.”  

“We just want you to get you out of your comfort zone, do things outside the box. Things like this don’t happen every day K”. Joel added looking at her with his dark brown eyes. ‘Damn you two. Why do you always do this?’ Karly thought as the duo explain.

“Fine” She said out loud. “I’ll do this, only because you forced me too and maybe because of the camera I’ll get at the end of this” She jokingly added since she doesn’t want to worry the older cousins even more.

“uhhhmmm.....couz even if you decided not to go, you can’t go. We’re already on the runway ready to lift off”. Joel commented and started laughing with Zach joining in.

“Oh” is all Karly could mutter. She didn’t realise the plane was moving since she was busy sorting her mind out. She smiled and stared to laugh with them. Karly closed her eyes and started to pray. Her mum always thought her to do so every time they travel. Waking up mid air, 6 hours after the plane lifted off and 2 hours sleep Karly woke up admiring the view from the window. Turning to look at Zach and Joel asleep, she turn back to continue to admire the view from the window and get lost on her thoughts.

*Karlys’ point of view*

‘They have a point. The last 5 yrs all I did was work, university, home, placement/on the job training, church on Sunday and practice with the band for ‘Louder’. I have nothing to lose.’ Looking back at the 2 sleepy heads she continued reminiscing.   ‘My final year became more fun and relaxes since Zach and Joel came from L.A and made me do things I never thought of doing like scuba diving.

Moving from America to London was doing things outside the box kind of idea this two have in mind.’ Zach who is an architect and Joel a business management and finance graduate. Both decided to try their luck in London. For them it wasn’t a bad idea since I live in London with my parents, their aunty Amy and uncle Dante. I loved living with them the house was much livelier and accommodating them wasn’t a problem since we have spare bedrooms at home.  Playing with the ring on her finger, the ring that the 3 of them have, Karly softly muttered ‘thank you’. Thinking what her mum would always say that everything happens for a reason that God has a purpose.

*Flash back*

3 months ago Karly and the rest of the 'Louder' band received a text from Dominique the founder. 

From: Dominique Guys meeting on Saturday at K’s place at 2pm. Have some interesting news.

 

Everyone sitting comfortably in the living room waiting for Dominique to arrive, Josh the house band lead guitarist ask Cher one of the vocalists “Yo Cher! Do you have any idea what kind of news Doms got?”  “Some kind of visitor I think” Cher replied. The discussion was interrupted when the doorbell rang signalling that Dominique has arrived.

“Hi everyone!” Dominique greeted everyone with hugs and kisses. Greetings done Dominique sat down taking papers and her notes out from her bag. Mike our lead Keyboard player and director which also happens to be Karlys’ Pastor started the meeting with a prayer and discussion on what songs they where going to sing for the next open mike session in 4 weeks time. All discussion was completed and Pastor Mike turns to Dominique. “So what was the interesting news?” 

“Well someone emailed me through our website. His name is Sean. He is from an entertainment company in Korea called YG Entertainment. The email he sent me states that he would like to see you guys perform live in our next show.”

“How did he found out about us?” Aaron the second Keyboard player asked.

“Well apparently he was just surfing youtube and he saw the videos we posted and from there on he was apparently intrigued. He also said that he was looking for someone to be backing vocals for a group they have in their company”.

“Sorry but how do they expect us to be backing vocalist when we can’t speak any Korean?” Karly asked. “I mean with the exception of this two”. Pointing her lips towards Zach and Joels’ direction since their mother is half Korean and taught them to speak Hangeul.   

“Well actually he’s quite interested in you too Karly” Dominique stated as a matter of fact pointing her finger at Karly. 

“M..m..me?” pointing at herself Karly responded stuttering with mouth agape and a big question mark on her face.

“Apparently it was your video with Zach and Joel that he saw that made him want to watch you guys perform live and the fact that he saw your photos from our website”.

“Geez my creativity has been ignored once again”. Pastor Mike wittingly added that made everyone laugh.

“So what do you think guys? Should we? I mean we have nothing to lose. It's a good publicity for us.” all nodded in agreement.

Quietly Karly left the living room and went to the kitchen and prepare the food. “Guys the foods ready”.  Within a minute everyone has already attacked the food as if they haven’t had a meal for centuries. “Guys slow down. I prepared plenty."

4 weeks after

2 hours before the show. “Guys let’s do sound check” JM our sound guy called out. Busy finishing all the necessary checks, the mics, speakers and instruments all were ok-ed. Not noticing Dominique arriving with their special guest.

“Hey guys gather up!” Dominique called.  “Everyone this is Sean. Sean this is everyone.” 

Pastor Mike started the introduction. “Hey! How you doing man? I’m Mike.”

“I’m Josh”

“I’m Cher”

“I’m Arianne”

“I’m JM”

“I’m Karly”

Zach step forward and bowed greeting in Korean. “Hi my name is Zach, please to meet you”

So as Joel “I’m Joel, it’s a pleasure meeting you”.

“I’m Sean, it’s a pleasure meeting you guys and I’m looking forward to watch your show “.

Everyone was all able to talk to Sean and we got to find out about him. He’s a Christian and is married and has 3 kids and another one on the way. A former Hip Hop artist and now work for his current label.  15 minutes onto conversation guests and other spectator started to arrive which is a sign for the band to go and get ready. They bid Sean temporary departure and wished that he will enjoy the show.

 

  Comment and subscribe. God bless!

 

Secretlyinluv xoxo