Chapter 17: Tears

Footprints in the Snow

            “Eomeoni…” Wooyoung breathed as his mother stomped up onto the podium beside him. She took hold of both his hands and wedged herself in between Victoria and him.

            “I object.” She declared again in a calmer tone. She turned to face Dara and asked,

            “You object too, right Dara honey?” Her eyes were pleading and watery, but Dara didn’t answer. She stared at Wooyoung who stared back. What was he thinking? Wooyoung was shocked and took a few extra seconds to regain his composure. He tugged his hands away from his mom and pulled Victoria close to his side. In his mind, he wanted to curse out loud but this needed to happen. Wooyoung father eyed him cautiously and nodded. Almost instantly, Wooyoung coughed,

            “Umma, please stop. I love Victoria now.” Wooyoung’s mom stared at Victoria and Wooyoung standing side by side, his arm wrapped around Victoria’s waist protectively and Victoria smiling mischievously back at her, almost mockingly. This lie would cost him a lot in the future, but he was in no position to speak his mind—not even at his own wedding.

            “But… Wooyoung…” Tears streamed down his mom’s face as she stared helplessly. This coupling was wrong. She knew something was going on, but she couldn’t uncover it. She stared into her grown son’s eyes, seeing nothing but misery. This wasn’t the place to discuss, so she retreated.

            “Choesonghamnida,” Wooyoung’s mom sniffed and then bowed in front of the huge crowd. She was embarrassed but she felt torn more than anything. She watched as Dara moved her head downwards, hiding small droplets of tears that fell from her eyes. She made no sound as she cried.

            “Well then,” The priest coughed after Wooyoung’s mom took her seat, “I now announce you husband and wife.” He smiled and then retreated, allowing the couple to take full control of the spotlight. In the shadows, music began playing. It was time for Bom and Dara to sing their second song of the night. Before the lyrics began, Wooyoung pulled Victoria in for a passionate kiss to convince his mom that his lies were complete truth. After a few seconds it seemed like Victoria was more absorbed in the kiss than Wooyoung was, but he didn’t pull away. This was an act he had to perform in order for everything to work out for his dad, and for his mom to be fooled. Dara held the microphone in front of , almost close enough to make contact with her lips.

Do you remember when our eyes met?
I remember when my heart fluttered for the first time
Although it may not have been a fateful meeting like in movies
But you approached closer and made me dream
People tells me, that nothing stays the same
Promise me that you won’t let go of my hand
You can promise me that right?

 

            Bom’s voice was flawless as she sang the intro to F(x)’s song, You are my Destiny. Once the last line of the verse was over, their kiss finally ended. It seemed like forever since their lips parted. Dara glancd over at Wooyoung’s mom who’s eyes were red and swollen from crying, but tears never stopped pouring down her cheeks. She always felt that one day she would be able to call Dara her daughter but instead, she had Victoria. She saw Victoria as some spoiled princess who was a conceited and petty . How could she live knowing her son had married that type of girl? The song abruptly stops when Dara’s microphone drops onto the hard floor and rolls off the stage. Everyone stared at Dara who was too shocked to speak. Her face was red from her own tears and she wanted to escape, so she bowed towards Wooyoung and Victoria once and then ran out of the wedding hall, occasionally stumbling on her high heels.

                “Dara,” Wooyoung’s mom called after her worriedly and followed her out of the wedding hall. She needed a break from seeing Victoria and her deceitful grin. Dara was trembling on a bench outside, rapidly wiping her eyes with her wet hands. The light make up on her face was smeared. If anyone was to understand how much Wooyoung meant to Dara it would be Wooyoung’s mom.

            “Dara, don’t cry,” She rubbed her shaking shoulders with one arm and then wiped her face down with tissue paper. Even without make up she looked beautiful.

            “I had no idea this would happen.” Wooyoung’s mom sighed, holding onto Dara’s hand for support.

            “I always believed that my baby would grow up to love only you. It seemed so obvious since you kids were young. Trust me Dara, I would rather have you as my daughter in law than any other girl in the world.” She pulled Dara in for a warm hug as her sobs rolled down Dara’s back. Nichkhun joined them outside, having given some other guy the job of cameraman. Bom’s voice was loud enough to be heard from outside. Every word was crystal clear.

You are the only one I need
It rids the reason for everything else
I am fine with everything else as long as you are beside me
Even if the season or the world  changes
I will always and will love you
Cause  You Are My Destiny!
People tells me that nothing stays the same
Promise me that we will be together forever
You can promise me that right?

            The lyrics of the song really didn’t help the situation. Dara felt stupid for causing such a scene at Wooyoung’s wedding. It was embarrassing, but she just couldn’t stand it anymore. All her hate for Victoria piled up until this moment, and to avoid slapping Victoria straight across the face she had to leave and get some fresh air.

            “They’re about to cut the cake.” Nichkhun stood before the two who unraveled themselves from the hug and nodded. Wooyoung’s mom wiped Dara’s face one last time and smiled,

            “It doesn’t matter how beautiful Victoria is today; you’ll always be the most beautiful daughter to me.” Wooyoung’s mom was first to re-enter the wedding hall, but no one paid attention to her entrance followed by Dara and Nichkhun. They were focused on the couple who were about to cut the cake, decorated with a beautiful glass snowflake ornament at the top. Wooyoung’s hand was on top of Victoria’s as they cut the cake and after doing so, Victoria impulsively pecked his cheek. Her face bushed with a deep pink shade but Wooyoung stayed unresponsive. Everyone was cheering and clapping, walking up to the two and congratulating them. Dara stood and watched from a distance, reminding herself that she had to let Wooyoung go. He was now officially married. The one percent change she had to getting him back was now at zero. It was hopeless. Bom exited the stage and joined her on the opposite side of the wedding hall from the cake. No one, not even Dara noticed that Wooyoung had been watching her. When she ran out of the wedding hall in tears he felt his heart ripping apart. Even though he was a married man now she couldn’t get over him. He needed her to get over him no matter what, even if he has to start being a jerk. It’ll kill him inside but she has to forget him.

A/N: It seemed like such a coincidence that while I wrote this chapter filled with the most crying I was crying myself. Sigh, stupid highschool drama... Anyways, rofl is my story really boring? I lost a subscriber! Haha. That's okay, I don't write to please people, i write to express my thoughts and creativity. As long as it's fun for me, it doesn't matter. (: That's what a hobby should be like, right?