justice

take the dive

22 :  j u s t i c e


 

Thursday arrived. Donghae shifted in his seat and frowned; despite knowing Jungsu had probably gathered enough evidence to win the case, he couldn’t help the nerves of sitting through an actual hearing. He never thought he’d have to. Jungsu noticed his discomfort and gives his hand a tight squeeze. It’ll be alright, Jungsu had reassured.

The bailiff, a middle-aged man in police uniform, moved to the front of the courtroom and clears his throat.

“All rise. The Court is now in session,” he said in a raspy voice, “the Honourable Judge Jaejin presiding.”

A gray-haired man in a long black robe took his place at the bench at the head of the courtroom and sat down, followed closely by several jurors who did the same. Donghae turned to frown at Kyuhyun and his parents, who nodded at him from the gallery. He felt somewhat relieved he had some form of family there with him.

“Please be seated. Today’s case is that of criminal nature whereby our plaintiff, Mr Lee Donghae, is filing several lawsuits against defendants Lee Sora, Lee Kangheon and Lee Deokboon on accounts of premeditated murder and emotional trauma. Now, are there any opening statements?”

Jungsu stood up and placed the file he had been holding on the desk. “Yes, Your Honour.”

Please state your case.”

“Good morning, ladies and gentleman,” Jungsu begins. “My name is Park Jungsu, and I am representing the plaintiff, Lee Donghae. We are here today to decide if the defendants, Lee Sora, Lee Kangheon and Lee Deokboon are liable for emotional and physical damages suffered by Lee Donghae following a car accident on December 14, 2018.”

Jungsu proceeded to explain the timeline of events, from the day Sora had threatened Donghae to leave Hyukjae, to Donghae discovering the connection between Hyukjae’s parents and his own family’s misfortune, the car accident that had left Hyukjae in a coma, and even the day Donghae had been kidnapped and assaulted in a warehouse. Wherever applicable, Jungsu slotted in the little bits of evidence that he had accumulated with the help of Kyuhyun and Donghae over the course of the past few months. It was time to call witnesses to the stand.

“I swear that the evidence that I shall give, shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me God.”

Jisoo lowered her hand and swallowed. She tried her best not to let her nervousness cloud her mind. After all, she was testifying against her employers of decades.

“Jisoo-ssi, where were you on October 16, 2011?” Jungsu asked.

Jisoo stole a glance at Mr and Mrs Lee, pursing her lips. “I was at the house doing chores.”

“Is it true that on this day, you overheard a conversation between the defendants regarding a hit-and-run accident?”

“Yes.”

“Could you share what you heard?”

Jisoo blinked rapidly. “I h-heard Mr Lee telling Sora-ssi that…..both him and Mrs Lee had to leave the country, that they were involved in a hit-and-run. He told Sora-ssi to keep it a secret.”

“Your Honour,” interrupted a woman named Chaelin, the defense attorney. Judge Jaejin waved her off. Jungsu resumed.

“Do you know who the victims of the accident were?”

“No, but I recently found out they were Donghae-ssi’s parents.”

“How did you find out?”

“Donghae-ssi came to the house to ask me to testify as a witness. He made the connection between what I overheard, and showed me an article about the hit-and-run accident seven years ago. He showed me evidence to prove that Mr and Mrs Lee, along with Sora-ssi, were involved in all the accidents; that they threatened and tried to kill him.”

Jungsu shot her a look—one that insinuated a thank you—and turned to face the gallery.

“Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you the video and audio clips Donghae-ssi has gathered as proof to his case.”

The audio clips—the ones that recorded the defendants’ threats—played in chronological order. The people sat in the gallery gasped.

After Jisoo was dismissed, Jungsu called upon the last witness of the day. Hyukjae was wheeled in and helped onto the witness stand.

“Hyukjae-ssi, are you aware that the people you are testifying against are your own family?” Jungsu asked.

“I’m aware.”

“Are you also aware that your parents were responsible for the death of Lee Donghae’s parents in 2011?”

Hyukjae shifted uncomfortably. He looked at Donghae, who was staring emotionlessly into the void and probably as comfortable as he was.

“I’m aware of that too,” Hyukjae answered.

“Where were you at the time of the accident?”

“I was in America. Furthered my studies.”

Jungsu smiled. “Right. So at the time, you were unaware of your family’s misdeeds.”

“That’s right.”

“Could you share with us the timeline of events that happened after you returned to South Korea, then?”

Hyukjae proceeded to explain how he’d been on the search to finding Donghae in order to reconnect. He shared how he’d found out about Donghae’s accident, and how he’d confronted Sora after realising what his parents had done. On hindsight, Hyukjae as a witness helped to seal the deal, and everyone was certain that the defendants; Sora and her parents; were guilty of premeditated murder.

“Would the defense attorney like to cross-examine the witnesses?” Judge Jaejin asked.

A very defeated Chaelin shook her head. “No, Your Honour.”

“Very well,” Judge Jaejin adjusted his glasses. “Will the jury foreperson please stand? Has the jury reached a unanimous verdict?”

A man sat a few seats down from the judge, the foreperson, stood up and nodded. “Yes, Your Honour. The jury finds the defendants guilty.”

The entire courtroom erupted in gasps and cheers.

“The jury is thanked and excused.” Judge Jaejin knocked the gavel thrice. “Court is adjourned.”

 

Donghae helped Hyukjae into the car almost an hour later. He noticed how fast his heart had been beating and frowned.

“What’s wrong, Hae?” Hyukjae asked as soon as Donghae had slammed the door shut behind him.

“I don’t know what to feel.” Donghae helped Hyukjae buckle his seatbelt and sighed. “I’m happy that justice was served, and that my parents didn’t die in vain, but….I don’t know. I’m not sure how to feel about sending your family to jail.”

“Hey,” Hyukjae grabbed his hand and squeezed it. “You did the right thing. Plus, I don’t want to associate myself with murderers. It doesn’t matter that they’re my family.”

Donghae’s eyes turned glassy. “I’m sorry. Finding me put you through so much.”

“I love you,” Hyukjae said, changing the subject. “Nothing is so much for me when it comes to you.”

“I love you to—”

“Mmh!” Kyuhyun interrupted from the driver’s seat. “Spare me the horror of listening to you lovebirds, please. Or else I might just press charges against you too for emotional distress.”

Hyukjae and Donghae giggled from the backseat.

“I’m sorry, you wet blanket.” Hyukjae looked out the window. “Where to next?”

Donghae smiled and leaned his head against Hyukjae’s shoulder. “Home.”

 

Five months passed since the court hearing. Donghae packed the last of his items into a medium-sized luggage bag and grinned.

“I’m so excited,” he exclaimed, looking over at the bed. Hyukjae grinned back and patted the space next to him.

“Come here,” he said softly, watching as Donghae walked towards him. “The flight isn’t until the day after tomorrow, but I can see how excited you are.”

Donghae inched closer and kissed his lover on the cheek. “I just can’t believe we’re getting married. I can’t believe we’re finally doing it; that we’ll finally get a big break from all the heartache and have what we deserved all along.”

“Don’t jinx it,” Hyukjae warned, laughing.

A brief silence cut their conversation, and Donghae found himself reaching out to caress his lover’s jaw.

“You’re so perfect to me,” Donghae whispered, gently pushing Hyukjae’s face towards him. They met in the middle, pressing lustful lips against each other, and their hands—contrary to what anyone would think—intertwined. Donghae smiled against Hyukjae’s lips as he pushed Hyukjae onto the pillow. Hyukjae broke the kiss.

“Don’t forget to credit yourself,” he said softly. “I wouldn’t be perfect to you if you aren’t already perfect to me.”

Donghae straddled his lover, his legs on either sides of Hyukjae’s hips. He stared at Hyukjae softly, and his lips curled up in a gentle smile like a flower in full bloom.

“I don’t know what I did to deserve you,” Donghae sighed. He bent over to nuzzle his nose against Hyukjae’s.

“Likewise, my love.” Hyukjae kissed the tip of his lover’s cold nose. “Likewise.”

“Can we make love?” Donghae asked gingerly. “We don’t have any plans for the rest of the day after all.”

“How can I refuse?”

Hyukjae watched as Donghae lifted his shirt above his head. He caught sight of the marks of cigarette burns littering Donghae’s chest and tensed up, frowning. Donghae noticed the change in Hyukjae’s expression and smiled.

“Let’s hope our love for each other has burned into our skins the same way that burning cigarette marred mine,” Donghae said playfully.

Hyukjae relaxed and reached out for Donghae’s neck, pulling him closer.

“I’ll never let you out of my sight,” Hyukjae whispered against Donghae’s plush lips. “Never. I’ll never let you hurt ever again.”

“Except when we’re deciding on what to eat.”

“Except that.”

They laughed in unison, and both of them realised how much they loved and would protect each other from then on.

“I can’t wait to marry you,” Donghae confesses, interlacing their fingers.

Hyukjae beamed. “I can’t wait to marry you.

They got rid of their clothes and proceeded to make love to each other, and all of a sudden the world didn’t matter to them. The series of unfortunate events that had panned out in the last few years didn’t matter to them.

All that mattered to them was each other.