Realisation

The House with the Blue Roof

After reaching school, I went straight to class to set up my Social Studies lesson. My students were supposed to bring artefacts from home and share it in class. History lessons are not just about events that happened in the past or some dead people. I want my students to connect history to their present live. Hopefully this will lead nicely to the next lesson where they can share what their hopes and dreams of their future.

After hanging up the timeline chart between the two pillars, I sat behind my desk waiting for my cheerful students to walk in. Sipping tea and having biscuits before my lessons began in the morning have got to be the most precious thing to do as a teacher. No time to spare throughout the day as work seemed to be neverending. Nevertheless, I have always enjoyed teaching. These 2 years as a beginning teacher have been the best in my life. I hope to learn and grow more along with my young padawans.

"Lovely morning, Miss!" boomed Ivan. This boy needed to learn to control his voice volume better. He seemed to be shouting all the time.

Good morning to you, Ivan," I said softly. "I would appreciate if you could speak with your indoor voice."

"Opps! Sorry! I am just too excited about today's lessons. I brought something really special to share about my family's history." He rattled on.

I gave him a thumbs up. He beamed and sat at his desk.

I started the lesson on time at 8am. The sharing among the students were great. They really enjoyed talking about their personal and family history. Zack brought a doll that was made by his grandmother. He shared that his grandmother sewed the doll while she was being detained in prison for punching a man. Apparently, the man was a peeping tom but he was a son of a rich man. Zack felt that his grandmother was wrongfully detained for punching a rich man's son.

As the lesson was about to end, I asked my student what have learned learned and got them to voice out the what else they wanted to know. Ivan's hand shot up into the air.

"Miss, could you share a little bit about yourself too? Can we see your family history as well?" Ivan spoke carefully, so as to control his volume.

The rest of students sat up straight in their chairs. Eyes widened and smiles were bright enough to light up the whole the classroom.

I chuckled. "I just knew someone might ask that. I do have some photographs of myself here in my folder. Let me just take them out."

I laid out photocopies of my family photos under the visualiser and I shared a little about myself and family history.

"Oh, Miss! You looked so adorable in that photo. But Miss, where are your baby photos? Do you have none?" Ivan asked again, in his excited voice.

"Uhm, baby photos? What do you mean?" I asked.

"Like the one Erica brought. She in her diapers dropping down her waist," Ivan laughed. The whole class roared.

Erica's face turned red,"Oi! Much for you to say, Mr Smarty pants.All your photos showed you were such a cry baby," Erica shouted in her defence.

"Ok, stop it you two," I said firmly. "Let's not end this lesson with you guys belittling each others' photographs. Be a little kinder, please."

RIIINNNGGGGGGGGGGGG

"Ok ladies and gentleman, I will see you next week. Please remember to fill up your reflection on today's lessons on Weebly ok?" I said at the top of my voice.

"Yes, Miss Fiona!" my students said in unison.

I shook my head as they left the classroom. What a day! I have 30 minutes of break before the next class. I cleaned the whiteboard, rearrange my resources and took out the set of history quiz for my grade 6 students. I can rest for a little while they complete this in class later. Maybe  I could even complete some markings.

I went to my folders and started to keep all the resources that I used earlier. As I placed the copies of my family photographs, I remembered vividly what Ivan mentioned earlier on. Baby photos.

 

Baby photos.

Where are my baby photos?

The very first photo of myself in my family album was when I was six.

I was six.

I could not remember much of my childhood from before that. Does everyone ever remember anything from when they were young?