Again

The House with the Blue Roof

The sun was shinning bright as I walked to school. This daily routine of walking to school was what I looked forward to at times. It was my time alone. I always use this time to listen to music or even go through what I needed to get done in my head. I needed this time more today after my dad's revelation last night. I always knew that I wasn't his flesh and blood but new information about him adopting me from a foreign country like Taiwan seemed strange to me. I have never been there. What was it like?

As I walked along the pavement, I could see the roof of my school building. Its discoloured red tiles greeted me. I smiled and hurried my steps. Suddenly, I felt a pulled from my left shoulder. I turned around and saw a familiar looking man. He was sweaty and panting. 

"Miss, may I speak to you for a little while?" he said as if gasping for air. Wait did he chased me from somewhere? 

"Er do I know you?" I asked. My brain trying to recall all information about this man. Suddenly, it struck me. It was the same man from that night! My heartbeat drummed and I felt my legs moving backwards. I looked at the school and counted that it would take only about 30 steps to safety. I looked at the man in front of me. His hair parted in the middle. The wrinkles around his eyes seemed to strained a bit as he squinted his eyes against the sun. I counted. 1. 2. 3.

I turned my heels around and sprinted like a wind. My heavy sling nag slid down my shoulder and i decided to just let it drop to the tarmac. I continued running. I could hear him calling me to stop. 

6 more steps and I would reach the safety of my school. Suddenly, the man screamed. I heard his voice a little muffled and I instinctively turned around. Two men on the cold hard floor, wrestling the life of each other. I stopped dead in my track as I saw Adam throwing my chaser a punch in his jaw. The commotion alerted the security guards and they came to apprehend the man in the black jacket. He was a little out of whack. The punch must have almost knocked him out. I looked at Adam with my big eyes. He rushed towards me and asked if I was alright. I could only nod my head. 

The security guards asked me a few questions and I told them that the same man followed me a few days ago. They called the police. 

Suddenly, the man woke up from his slumber. He started shouting but he was restrained by the guards. 

"Miss, miss, please listen. I just wanted to tell you something miss! I didn't want to harm her! Please please." He begged.

"You can speak to the police later young man," said Johnson. His tall and big stature fits his job as a security guard really well. Sometimes, even the children are scared. But he is actually the gentlest man I know. 

"Don't worry Miss Fiona, Sally, office lady, has called both the principal and the school councilor. 

"Thank you Johnson." I trembled a little. I walked to my workstation and found Adam sitting down at his desk. He was trying to wrap his knuckle with a bandage. I took it from him and looked his injury. I opened the first aid box and took out the antiseptic cream. I applied it on the cuts and grazes before wrapping it securely. I sighed and I looked at him. All this time he was staring at me with a concerned face.

"Thank you Adam. I was glad you were there," I said. 

"Why didn't you say that you were followed before?" he said. 

"Well, I didn't want to cause a big issue," I mumbled.

"Yes! Of course. But now the issue is much bigger,isn't it? You could have been injured, killed, kidnaped, what? Were you waiting for it to happen before you tell me," Adam raised his voice a little. I have never seen him like this. He stood up and towered over me. I turned around but his hand pulled me and he embraced me.

"I am sorry. I didn't mean to shout. I mean...when will you accept the fact that I am worried about you? When will you accept the fact that I have always loved you?" Adam whispered into my ears. My face felt hot. I pushed him. I swallowed my tears. I ran towards my homeroom and slammed the door. My trembling legs gave way and I fell to floor and sobbed.