Followed

The House with the Blue Roof

As I lowered myself on the staff room sofa, I noticed that it was already past 3pm. I took out my sandwich from my lunch bag and began chewing it as I read my pupils' papers. Reading their arguments about whether or not Kpop stars could change world music seemed to tickle me. One argued that the only winners here are the plastic surgeons as these stars started their careers in the surgery room. While another stated that a variety of music in our life could help us understand different cultures around the world.

I was once a kpop noob myself but after being dragged by Sarah to watch Bigbang concert, I was hooked. Their catchy songs, their dance, their swag all seemed too cool to ignore. My students were always talking about Wanna one these days and I couldn't help to listen in at times. That's how this paper started, from a simple conversation and comparisons that led to more interesting analysis.

I still depended on Sarah to keep feeding me with more kdrama and I was entranced by their plots and sweet innocent love stories.

But each time I listen to Korean, I felt strangely familiar with its language. I just seemed to understand even without looking at the subtitle. Sarah thought that I was a genius once. I was watching Prison Life drama while cooking in my apartment. Even without having my eyes on the screen, I managed to interpret what the actors were saying. Sarah, who was helping to set the dinning table, yelled at me because she was sure that I have already watched the drama ahead of her. However, after testing me with a few Korean phrases and vocabulary she crowned me as a genius as I have never learned it in my entire life. In fact, I always at my second language in school. I can never speak French without looking like a sleazy confused old hag.Sarah even suggested that perhaps I was a Korean princess in previous life. Pffttt... I never believed in such things.

However, the recurring dreams seemed to make me feel otherwise.

I shook my head and tried to refocus on my students' essays. After a couple of hours, fatigue set in. I decided to get up and pack up for the day. I switched my laptop off, said goodbyes to a few colleagues, wrote a short note to my office-Wife about wanting to have coffee with her the next day before walking out of the school compound.

It was nearly 6pm. The sun had started to set and the orange skies accompanied my lonely walk home.

As I passed the quiet playground, I felt goosebumps. The footsteps from behind me seemed to shadow my own.I quickened my pace. The footsteps moved hurriedly. I slowly turned my head to see who it was. It was a man in black turtleneck shirt and blue jeans. His intense stares freaked me out. I ran. I used whatever strength I had left and just ran. The stranger kept his chase too. I heard some clicking sound accompanied by flashes. I wanted to scream but as soon as I reached the intersection, the man was gone. WHAT THE HELL! I ran up the stairs to my apartment and scrambled to take out my keys but my dad beat me to it by opening the door from the other side. I rushed in and hugged him. He my back to calm me down and asked me in his gentle yet firm voice, "You are ok now. Calm down. I'm here. Tell me slowly what happened."

After a few big gulps of air, I told him about how a man was following me. He scrunched his face and worried lines appeared on his forehead. 
He sat me down and turned around. He made a few calls, reporting about a stalker around the neighbourhood and to keep a lookout for a man as described by me.

He went into the kitchen and awhile later, he had a tray filled with a mug of hot choco and my bowl of salad for dinner. I slowly ate my dinner and drank quietly as dad continued his calls to all the Neighbourhood watch members.

The night grew darker and I decided to retire for the night. Thanked dad for dinner and he assured me that the Neighbourhood watch will be on their duty earlier from tomorrow onwards. He kissed me goodnight before he went to his own room.

I showered and slept. A restless sleep followed me.