Routine

The House with the Blue Roof

As soon I breezed into the office, I greeted Sally and Naj. These office ladies never seemed to have ever moved from their work desk. Their eyes glued to the monitor and fingers never stopping clacking the keyboard and yet they knew everything that you need to know, from students administration, protocols, principals' schedule and even the latest gossips. 
I collected a few letters from the mailroom and my printouts for today's lessons. 6.45 am. I clocked in my id into the system and rushed to the staff room. Here is where my work begins. my laptop and checked out my lesson plans. Scrolled through a few PowerPoint slides to make sure everything was in order. Just then, my colleague, Adam, sauntered in his sweatshirt and sweatpants. Urghh.. I wish I could dress as casually as he does. But as a physical education teacher, his privilege ended there. As of last year after Zavier retired, he had to handle 11 classes of physical education all by himself. That's more than 44 periods in a week. No way in hell, I would change my teaching subject just to trade for the sweatshirt.

"Cheers Fiona. You're early today, " he crooned.
"Yeah, I just needed to clear my head. That's all. " I answered without looking at him.
"You sure you're ok?"he asked. I looked up at him and gave him a big toothy smile. "Ok. You know where to find me if you need to talk." He added before grabbing his clipboard, whistle and bunch of keys from his table. 
"Yup the smelly gym room. I know where to find you Adam. Thanks."I waved him an ok sign.

I placed everything I needed for class in my large bag and scooted to my home room. I planned an extra special lesson today. Marshmallow tower. Nothing could beat a lesson that is multi disciplinary in nature.

As I was unpacking my spaghetti and marshmallows from my bag, Sarah walked in with a paper bag smashed under her arm and two cups of coffee in her hands. Sarah is like my work Wife. She practically is my Best Friend, and my guardian angel. She is also my work mentor so whenever I needed advice I would turn to her. 
"Sarah, dear. What if I tell you that I think I have some kind of a past life." I opened up.
She frowned," This is heavy. Nothing heavy before coffee."
I laughed. Looking at her tired self, she must have had a hell of a night too. Probably out drinking all night with her new hot edition Boyfriend. I decided not to continue as I don't want to spoil her mood. I grabbed a cup of coffee from her and gulped down the warm liquid. She handed me the paper bag of bagels and walked out of my classroom.

Last night.

Even as I drowned myself into my normal routines, last night still bothered me.

The hugs. The feeling of being carried over the shoulders. The arguments and blood. Faces of people that I seemed to know but who were they?

Ringggggg!

I shook my head and rubbed my eyes. I could hear the distant chatter of my young padawans. They entered my class with their cheerful smiles. 
"Good morning, Miss Fiona!" They quipped.