Dreams

The House with the Blue Roof

Rapid heartbeats. Sweat. Images from a distorted television. Sweat. Nanny! Oppa! Don't leave me. Sweat. 
I gasped for air as my eyes frantically searched for any source of light. I touched the switched on the bedside lamp and gave it a flick. The light gave me comfort and warmth as though the darkness would not come at me again. It was the first time in many years since I had these dreams. I pushed myself off the bed and ambled to the kitchen. The fridge stood still as I opened its door to grab the bottle of milk. I took a large gulp from the bottle and almost choked when I heard a raspy voice from behind me. "Can't sleep?"

"Dad! Don't do that. You gave me a fright," I whined as I wiped the milk spills off my chin. He chuckled. He the kitchen light and filled up the kettle with water. My dad, the joyful looking man in his sixties. His fluffy white tuffs on his head and his large belly always reminded me of a fictional character that dressed up in white and red. After mum passed on a few years ago, the two of us continued to live together. He practically was my everything. I depended on him as much as he did. Home was a cosy three bedroom apartment. I lived here all my life and dad was very popular among the neighbours. Especially among the old ladies in the same flat. He had always been the dependable handyman who would help to save a cat or fix the lightbulb.

"So what's bothering you?"he asked. 
"Nothing. Just a silly dream. Nothing to make your grey hair any shade whiter," I said as I closed the door of the refrigerator. I could not tell him. He might think I had gone crazy. 
"Silly goose. You woke me up with your cries. Made me feel so worried. " he calmly spoke as he took a spoonful of his morning coffee into his favourite mug. 
"I did?!" my eyes bulged a little. But quickly I turned the situation around and laughed. "No dad. Seriously. I was just having a scary dream about work. You know like how my boss turned into a zombie and I had to escape only to find that I was infected too. " I giggled.

My dad got up and walked towards me and he kissed my forehead like I was only six years old. I liked it when he does that. It comforted me. Suddenly, he bit my cheeks. "Arghhh... zombie." I screamed and laughed. 
I ran into my room giggling away trying to escape my ever playful dad. At my age of twenty-seven, my dad still treated me like I was his cute princess.

I sat on my study table and checked my emails. It was only five thirty in the morning but it was my usual morning routine. I have to leave for work early as an educator I had to clock in by seven in the morning. After a quick shower, packing of work bag and lunch, I kissed dad goodbye. Reminded him to take his pills and make me salad for dinner.

I put my headphones on and blasted some good old songs from the 90s. As I was walking, I couldn't shake the dream that I had last night. It was vivid. As though it was real. The cries of children in my dream felt very raw. I heard those voices before. One of them was mine.