Hunch

The House with the Blue Roof

"Oppa! I hate you. Yarghh!" My small hand picked up the nearest toy from the floor and threw it hard at his head. Seconds later, red liquid streamed down his temple. He touched it and fell to the ground.

"What did you do, Yejin-nah?" Nanny Poo screamed at me. Her panicked stricken face told me that I was in deep trouble.

I looked at my terrible hands.They trembled. I killed him. I ran. I kept at it until I couldn't see the house with the blue roofs. Finally, I reached our secret hideout in the forest. I stayed there and cried. Alone.

Suddenly, I felt a pair of cold hands shaking my tiny body. "Yejin-nah.. wake up. Wake up. Let's go home." 
 

"No... I killed Jiwon oppa. The police will catch me," I groaned between my tears.

"What are you talking about? You didn't kill him. Well, you did hurt him for sure. You have a ton to do right now, young lady. But first, you need to apologise to Jiwon oppa." replied the gentle voice.

I looked up and the angelic face was staring at me. He smiled. But I shook my head to disagree. "I'm not apologising! He started it first. He destroyed Duckie's toy truck. The truck can't move now. The wheels all missing. Duckie is all sad now!" I pouted.

"Ok,ok. Jiwon oppa has a lot to apologise too. But... you can't stay here. The forest has fairies and they can't come out at night if you are here," his bright eyes smiled as he spoke.

"Oh... ok.. I forgot about them. Fairies need to look for their food at night time, right? But... I am too tired to walk. Can you carry me, Hoony oppa?" I whined.

"Haizz.. jinjia? Arraseo, arraseo. That's the job for Jaejin oppa. That's why he is here too. I knew you will want to be piggybacked. Jaejin ah.. please help yejin. Let's go home now." Hoony oppa said.

A strong pair of hands lifted me. I felt his heartbeat, beating in synchronised with mine. His warm back comforted me. Just like my bedroom light.

I woke up. Confused. Sweat dripped down my back.

This dream seemed to be telling me some things. I just don't know who those boys were. But the forest, the touch, blue roof, the heartbeat, the blood, the tears, were way too oddly familiar. I have a hunch.I am mad. Mad!

The clock on my bedroom wall showed five. I got up and opened my wardrobe. I brought down my "box of secrets". I lifted the lid and took out my family album. Mum and dad smiled at me. Dad looked much younger with more hair and slimmer waistline. I was around 6 years old in the first picture, sitting on mom's lap with my tongue sticking out at the photographer. I was being a monkey. I flipped through the album and cursed at how I don't have a decent photo of myself throughout my growing up years. Then I stared at the picture of myself in my first bikini when I was 12, eating ice cream while wearing a large sunglasses, too big for my face. It was a picture that I have always wanted to burn. But I remembered Mom saying that she loved it so much and made me promised not to do anything to it.  I continued to flip it till the end of the album where the empty slots are. Those spaces were meant for me to continue adding more photos which I have been doing so religiously. This album was my source of comfort. As I put the pictures in, it seemed like I was fitting puzzles together. Jigsaw puzzles in my life.

I replaced the box back into the wardrobe. I took out my clothes and got myself ready for work.