Memories

The House with the Blue Roof

"Fiona babe, please don't tell me you didn't eat the sandwich I made for you?" nagged Sarah as she put her head into the pantry's fridge.

"Oh! Yeah. I kinda forgot," I looked at her sheepisly, before turning my eyes back to my students' essays.

"Eat it, now!" Sarah roared.

"Oh wow! Someone's having her PMS," I whispered, with much regrets as Sarah smacked the back of my head with the bag of sandwich.

"So, what is it that you wanted to ask me yesterday? Something about your reincarnations or something?" Sarah asked.

"Oh yeah. I have been wanting to ask. Could you remember anything from when you were really young? Like when you were 1 years old or something?" I asked as I removed my glasses. I pinched the bridge of my nose intermittently to release the tension building up in my forehead.

"I bet no one could remember much of anything from the time they were just a toddler, silly," laughed Sarah.

"Oh really? So I am not that weird right, to not be able to remember anything when I was younger?" I asked.

"Nope. Unless, there's something very traumatic or even memorable that could perhaps make you remember specific events for life." She continued.

"Could you give some examples ?Uhmm.. it is for research purposes," I lied.

"Well, for example, I could remember that I was badly scratched by a black cat once when I was around 3 years old. Pftt, that old made me scared of cats for long time," Sarah said as she bit into her apple.

I looked at the sandwich which Sarah made. I slowly opened up the bag and took a bite. The taste of tuna fillled my mouth as I chewed. I tried to recall memories when I was three years old. Nope.None came up.

"What else?" I asked.

"Hmm, there was also once that I got lost in the supermarket, I think I was about 4 then.Yes, I was 4. I could remember because my mom just enrolled me in a nursery class and I had to wear this uniform everyday. When I was lost, the security guard was able to identify my uniform and called the school for help," Sarah said.

I nodded my head. Again, I could not recall what I did when I was 4. But strangely, my dreams seemed to give another story.

All my dreams that I had been getting over the past 20 plus years of my life, had always been about me when I was younger. I seemed younger than what I was in my family photo albums. And I seemed to be surrounded by people I do not know at all.

In the past, I used to sketch pictures of the boys I saw in my dreams. One with tanned skin, with broad shoulders and cheeks that always seemed to fashion itself in a mischievious way. Another, who was the polar opposite, with white creamy complexions and smiles as demure as his speech. There was another boy in my dream. I remember hearing mysef calling him "Susu". He had big eyes and facial expression that made you wonder what he was thinking. Duckie's long eyelashes were always my main point when sketching his picture. And of course last but not least, the boy with strong warm hands. His hands were his memorable features. I could not really recall his face. His face was always covered in my dreams.

But the sketching stopped. Partly because, I was busy looking after mom due to her cancer. Partly also because the dreams stopped.

"Fiona! Are you listening?" Sarah tapped my arms.

I blinked and looked at the sandwich in my hands. "Nice sandwich. Really brought back some memories of how we met, Sarah."

Sarah flicked my forehead with her second finger as she laughed. I rubbed the spot to ease the pain and numbness away.

"Yah! If you are going to zonk out on me while eating a sandwich, it jolly means you need to pack up, go home and have an early night! Sleep, Fion. You need it." Sarah nagged.

I gobbled up my last bite of the sandwich. Winked at my work-wife, and hurried away before she could bleed my ears out with more of her nagging.