"Clean Slate"

ALTERED

It's the last...

。+.。゚:;。+゚+。::゚。:.゚。+。。+.。゚:;。+゚+。::゚。:.゚。+。

 

Twelve years ago...

 

Jaebum is walking past the halls, with one strap of his backpack on his shoulder, the other hanging loose. He heard one of his classmates shouting, telling him that he left his bag's zipper open but he doesn't care and just wants to get out of school.

It's not because he's excited to get home, because as far as he's concerned, there's nothing to look forward to once he reaches home. It's just that, he hates school just as same. Jabeum is well aware of his academics, his class standing and all. He is not really part of that upper half of the class who excels, or just do well in class. But, as long as he doesn't fail, Jaebum is fine with it.

For him, nothing fun happens in school. He has found it as a place for self centered kids, who knows nothing but to bully smaller kids, and are used to getting things the way they want it. At ten years of age, Jaebum has already enough of those kids' s. He's in his fourth grade, and he has been hating school since he started attending it... especially when he sees how his classmates were brought to, and fetched from school by their parents. He would never experience that... he knows.

As he passed by the field, he gazes over the large cover of green grass. And there, Jaebum saw a raven haired young boy. He knows him. Jaebum knows the kid, because he has seen him in the room across his. They're of the same grade, but the kid is timid... really timid... and ... weird. That is what the other kids , "Loony Nyoung" is what they call the poor kid. And now, seeing the kid staring blankly across the field, Jaebum thinks that, yeah... the kid sure is weird.

 

It was after their Science class, when Jaebum went out to pee. He passed by this kid, Ilhoon who is pushing Jinyoung's shoulders. Jaebum saw how Ilhoon glanced at him, maybe thinking if he'll do anything but, Jaebum didn't feel the need to interfere so he just passed by the two and proceeded to the comfort room. When he was walking back to the classroom, he saw how Jinyoung was standing, now alone, while clenching his fists. Again, Jaebum didn't mind.

During recess, Jaebum heard their Science teacher, now in the room across theirs, scolding Jinyoung because one of the pupils insisted that the younger was the one who did something. "Teacher, he did it! I saw him!" Ilhoon said, pointing at Jinyoung who just keeps his head down. When the teacher walked away with Jinyoung, only did Jaebum have a clear look on what Ilhoon is blaming Jinyoung about. He saw a bird, with its head cut off.

 

Dismissal time, Jaebum's most awaited hour of the day. He was walking across the field when he saw some boys pushing Jinyoung shouting "crazy", "weirdo", "loony" and "psycho" right at his face. Ilhoon was doing the same, and Jaebum is sure the kid is the one who started this. Maybe, it's because Jaebum had a hard day too, with him failing his math quiz as well as history... that's probably why that particular scene which he see almost everyday, pissed him off now. Stepping in, Jaebum scared the boys and pushed Ilhoon off, telling him to back off.

When the boys scrammed, Jaebum turned to Jinyoung who still has his eyes glued on the ground. Tugging on the younger, he said he'll walk home with him. Jaebum's house is just around the next block, but Jaebum thought of lying and said it's further down the street. When they reached Jinyoung's house, Jaebum recognized it and recalled the horrible news a year ago, which got around the neighborhood. About Yangcheon's District Chief Police Officer Park Jung Ho's wife hanging herself, inside their house, in front of her own son.

Jaebum felt sorry for Jinyoung as he started to understand why the younger is like that. Tapping on the younger's shoulder, Jaebum told him that he'll make sure those boys from his class won't bother him anymore, but then Jinyoung suddenly said, "I did it." Jaebum was confused but the younger continued, with those emotionless eyes. "That bird with its head cut off... I really did it."

Jinyoung might be weird, and Jaebum not getting horrified by that fact is even weirder, maybe. But not even in the slightest, did Jaebum got scared or anything towards Jinyoung. Reaching again for Jinyoung's shoulder, Jaebum spoke. "You are not a psycho. You're just... different." And with a warm smile, he added, "And I like different."

 

 

Present time...

 

"Finish these s."

When Jinyoung left, Jackson turned to them, and how Jaebum clenched his fists hard, seeing that smug smile on the 's face. "Alrighty, at least Jinyoung gave me the permission to kill you both.

 

Jaebum has nothing going on inside his head but those scenes which happened a couple of hours ago. Having Jackson, standing in front of him, had him realizing things after putting all the puzzle pieces together.

When he received Yugyeom's text, he immediately went to the younger's place but saw it empty, so he went to Bambam's place, thinking the two bestfriends might be together. But he was wrong again. After telling Youngjae to stay inside, he went out, only to be grabbed by someone who is holding a knife against his neck. He then felt a hard hit on his head, knocking him out. When he woke up, he saw Yugyeom and Mark both blindfolded, getting dragged. He shouted at the masked man but the guy was fast enough to knock him unconscious. The next time he woke up, his hands weren't tied anymore and there's a key beside him. If only he knew it would lead Bambam to his death, he shouldn't have given it to the younger. Jaebum can't help but blame himself.

Jackson started walking slowly, while tapping the gun on his palm. "Now, before I do kill both of you and carry on with the rest of the plan, do you guys have something to ask me? Oh, maybe you, Mark could ask something because I'm pretty sure Jaebum has figured s out already. Actually I am quite impressed, by it."

Jaebum clenched his fists tighter. After Bambam was killed, almost all of them jumped because of the loud shot, making Jackson drop something but because the lights turned off, Jaebum didn't see what it was. When he was trying to look for Youngjae, he stepped on something which he figured was what Jackson has dropped a while ago. Picking it up, Jaebum was horrified to recognize that it's a knife... the same knife which the masked psycho held against him. Jaebum went to look for Youngjae because he's sure his friend is in danger. Just when he's about to chase after Jackson, Jinyoung came out of nowhere and hit him with his own bat. 

It's true, he has figured things out, but it's still a lot too late. Now, Yugyeom, Bambam and Youngjae are gone. He wasn't able to do anything because he had figured things out too late. 

Through gritted teeth, Jaebum cussed at Jackson. " you."

"Why are you doing this?" It's now Mark who is asking. "Why did you do this to Jinyoung? You knew he needed help! Why did you let him turn into... into-"

"A monster?" Jackson finished what Mark can't. "Is that what you cannot say Mark? You're asking why I let Jinyoung turn into a monster?" Jackson's laugh echoed inside the room. But when he stopped, his eyes were cold again. "I didn't have to do anything, Mark. Jinyoung is already a monster. He is nothing but a sick monster."

 

Staring back at them with those blank eyes, Jackson started to talk.

"I was ten, my brother was fifteen when our parents died and were left under the custody of our relatives from my mom's side. They were not exactly nice, may I tell you, and not exactly minding. If we were lucky, they just let us starve... if we're not, then we get extra beating. Quite a life, right?" 

This they didn't know. And looking at Mark, Jaebum thinks the older didn't know of this part in Jackson's life either. They didn't even know he has a brother.

"When my brother turned twenty, he dropped out from school and started to work for a living, just to keep me in school too, because as I said, our uncles and aunts didn't like to be responsible for us. Since my brother only finished highschool, he didn't have a decent job. Him having dropped out friends also didn't help. They went the wrong way... stealing, mugging people.. snatching things, and even robbing homes. My brother took part on all of it, primarily because he didn't have any choice. I was not proud of what my brother was doing, but I can't hold it against him, after all, he's doing those for us... for me."

Jaebum just listened, feeling a bit sorry for Jackson, but immediately tells himself nothing can ever justify what Jackson did. Regardless of his reasons, he has done wrong.

"It was one night, when my brother left with his gang... and I... well I followed them. I saw how those guys killed the guards as well as the other staffs and students here. But my brother didn't take part in that. In fact, he wanted to get out, but Chonhyun threatened him. Since they found out that I went with them, Chonhyun said he'd hurt me if my brother won't stick with their plan. Those bastard killed those students and even tortured some... even Jinyoung. But my brother wasn't one of them. I saw how he took care of him and gave him food after those s tortured him. That night, my brother sent me off, saying he'll go right after... that he'll just find the right time to escape, so we could leave the place for good. But I waited... and waited..." Jaebum saw how Jackson's eyes glistened, with tears forming at the side if his eyes. "The next day, all I got was the news saying all the hostage takers were dead, brutally murdered even... by Jinyoung, himself."

Jaebum can't even get a hold of his own thoughts. He can't make himself think clearly. All these things he's hearing... can he just block it all off? Can he refuse to believe all these?

"J-Jinyoung..." Mark tried to speak despite his shaking voice. "Jinyoung was mentally unstable... You knew that... right? And what those guys did to him only triggered him to-"

"Right, Mark.. those guys! THOSE GUYS! Well my brother wasn't one of those who tortured him! My brother didn't do anything to him!" Jackson shouted with tears falling from eyes. "My brother was brutally murdered by that psycho, just because he didn't do anything? Just because he wasn't brave enough? Is that fair?" Jackson asked with his jaw clenched. He could see the anger burning in his eyes as he let those next words slip from his lips. "Now he's going to pay."

Pay? What is Jackson planning? "What the will you do to Jinyoung huh?" Jaebum rose to his feet and grabbed on Jackson's collar. "Isn't this enough, you er-"

Jaebum groaned as he fell on the floor, with blood gushing out from his nose, after Jackson hit his face with the gun. "I am not weak like Jinyoung." Smoothing out his collar, Jackson threw a spiteful glance at him. "It was all too easy... befriending him and messing up his already ed up brain? And I have to thank you Mark for helping me with my plan, helping me earn Jinyoung's trust. That it became easy for me to make him believe that I am all the help he needs... that he should just embrace his inner psycho, and let those bastards pay for what they've done to him." With that smug smile, Jackson continued. "The fact that he killed his own friends will haunt him forever."

Jaebum kept his eyes on the ground as he clenched on his fists. Jinyoung doesn't deserve all these. No, he doesn't. If only he hadn't met Jackson... If only... If only he was there with Jinyoung... maybe, maybe things turned out differently.

With his head down, he heard Jackson. "Nice plan, right?"

But Jaebum saw how Jackson was stabbed from behind... by Jinyoung. "Yeah, perfect plan, ."

 

When Jackson fell on the ground, Jinyoung remained standing still. Not until Mark called his name. "Jinyoung..." making the younger look at them with those sad and guilty eyes. He looks so broken and scarred. He's not the same Jinyoung who left them in Jackson;s hands earlier... but he's the same Jinyoung who he met twelve years ago... the same Jinyoung he grew up with... the same Jinyoung whom he loved.

"I'm sorry..." Jinyoung sobbed and how Jaebum felt his heart breaking through Jinyoung's every cry. "I-I'm s-sorry... this is all my fault. I killed them... I killed my friends... I can't-" But his cries were covered by Mark's warm embrace. 

Jaebum watched as Mark wrapped his arms around Jinyoung who is uncontrollably sobbing on the older's shoulders, saying sorry over and over. He could almost smile. Jaebum could almost smile, thinking that finally, it's over... only it wasn't.

 

From the side of his eyes, he saw how Jackson reached for the gun and aimed at Jinyoung who is still in Mark's arms. Rushing, Jaebum ran to cover Jinyoung from the bullet. 

Jaebum felt it. The sharp and seething pain from his back. His eyes were set on Jinyoung's wide ones, as the younger tried to hold him and prevent him from falling to the ground. It all happened so fast. How Mark went to kick Jackson and get the gun from the chinese's hand. Jinyoung was already blocking his view, that he didn't see what happened next, and all he heard was a loud gun shot, then the sound of Mark dropping the gun.

 

Now Jaebum sees Jinyoung's face etched with worry and fear as those eyes stared at him, as if making sure there's still life in it. "Jaebum...Jaebum..." He hears him, but it's like he's from the far end of the hall, his voice shallow. 

"Jaebum... no... please don't." He felt Jinyoung's hand on his cheeks, tapping it slightly, keeping him awake though he really feels like he is being pulled into deep slumber, his eyes getting heavy. He now can't feel the pain anymore... but his sight is getting blurry.

"Jaebum, don't you dare die, you head!" Now it's Mark who is beside him, also on his knees. "We'll get you to the hospital, just hang in there."

Hang in there... Jaebum wants to laugh at Mark for asking him to do that. It seems impossible... he really feels like life is draining out of him. So this is how it feels to die? Well, it .

Turning to Jinyoung who is still crying, Jaebum tried to reach for his wet cheeks. "Jinyoung-ah... I'm sorry." The younger kept on shaking his head. "I should've been there. I shouldn't have left you all alone."

"No, Jaebum-"

He hushed the younger, for he knows his time is running out. He has to say what he wants to say. "I might never have the chance to say this again but...Jinyoung... I have always loved you. And I always will..."

"No, Jaebum... don't close your eyes, please!"

Struggling to keep his eyes open, Jaebum mustered the most loving smile he could give. "I love you, and I forgive you..." 

 

**********

 

Two years later...

 

Mark always loved staring at Jinyoung... just watching him, sitting by the bench where they usually stay at, under the shade of the coral tree. Mark watches Jinyoung who has his eys closed, while listening to his ipod which he gave as a birthday gift to the younger. He still looks beautiful, with his raven hair and all. It's gotten a bit longer, later he'll suggest Jinyoung to have a haircut. Maybe he could go with the younger too, and change his hair color to black again. 

Looking at how Jinyoung softly sways to the music, Mark could only smile at how peaceful and calm Jinyoung looks. He has come a long way.

 

"Sir, it's time for his meds." Mark heard the female nurse beside him speak.

"Okay, then." Mark walked along with the nurse towards Jinyoung.

 

"Jinyoungie?" When the younger opened his eyes and saw him, Mark saw how Jinyoung's face lit up. Leaning down, Mark met those plump lips lightly. "Time for your meds."

Mark just assisted the nurse in giving Jinyoung's daily medication. It's not hard, since Jinyoung is very much cooperative. Mark could only smile when Jinyoung asked for anothe rkiss after he finished drinking everything.

 

Now, they are both seated on the bench, with Jinyoung resting his head against his chest, and his arm around the younger's shoulder. 

"You think they could still forgive me?"

Mark heard as Jinyoung's voice broke. Since the tragic incident, only now did Jinyoung have the courage to ask this. And when Jinyoung looked up, Mark could see tears forming on the side of his eyes. Mark reached for his hand.

"If I can, then I am sure that they would also."

 

But it wasn't him who answered.

"Jaebum." Jinyoung warmly greeted the older with a smile and the latter only sat beside them.

 

After Mark shot Jackson, the police led by Jinyoung's dad came to their rescue. Of course they were late, but they were still glad to be saved. If not for them, maybe Jaebum really had died. But thankfully, they were able to rush him to the hospital and was treated by the doctors immediately, putting him to safety. 

Jinyoung has gone to a trial, but since Jackson was already dead, Mark and Jaebum testified that everything was Jackson's plan and just used Jinyoung who was mentally unstable. It's a good thing that the court sided them. After the trial, Jinyoung's dad took Jinyoung with him back to L.A. Mark did follow right after he graduated, so did Jaebum.

 

"What happened are all in the past now, Jinyoung-ah. And I am sure, our friends who are now in heaven already forgave you." Mark appreciates Jaebum's words because he knows those were what Jinyoung needs to hear. But seeing how Jaebum took Jinyoung's hand away from his hold, Mark can't help but to yell. "Back off!" Taking Jinyoung's hand back again.

This made Jaebum laugh. Mark only scowled. This guy... does he have no respect to his relationship with Jinyoung  at all? Frowning, Mark just wrapped his arms around his boyfriend protectively, making sure there's a distance between Jinyoung and Jaebum who is still laughing. 

 

It has been more than a year and Jinyoung is still undergoing his treatments. And he's getting better. He still has a chance. And Mark won't let go of that chance.

He loves Jinyoung completely, despite of his mistakes and sins. He loves Jinyoung. And he'll make sure that what happened then, would never happen again.

 

。+.。゚:;。+゚+。::゚。:.゚。+。。+.。゚:;。+゚+。::゚。:.゚。+。

 

Another finished fic!!! HOOOOORAAAAAAYYYY!!!!

 

I really am happy that I finished this, gosh. I thought I won't ever finish this since I planned on stopping midway. Oh my goodness. Maybe this will be the last of its kind. hahaha. This is a really difficult genre to write. It's draining!!!

 

Anyway, I would like to apologize if the previous chapter had hurt you. But, at least, this chapter gave a happy ending for MarkJin.. at least? Though my heart still aches after Yugyeom, Bambam and Youngjae has gone. And I'm sorry for dragging our Seunnie in this one. I hate myself, really.

Anyway, I promise, this will be the last. No more killings and all. I'm only gonna be writing fluff. Angst is much better, at least noone kills anyone! T___T

 

Thank you for reading this. It means a lot! So long my brave sweeties!

 

 

<3 nicapark