"Concealed Truth"

ALTERED

 

[Mark]

 "Thank you, sir. I'll be heading there now." 

I ended the call and opened the car door. Once inside, I inserted the keys and started the engine. It'll only be a fifteen minute drive to the hospital where Jinyoung is right now. God, I hope I could get there in five.

 

"Jinyoung is here in the emergency room. He has some bruises and is being attended to right now."

When uncle, Jinyoung's dad, has called me a while ago and gave me this news, I suddenly lose my need to sleep. His dad told me that Jinyoung was found unconscious at the park just a few blocks from Jackson's house. I know and I understand how worried he is for Jackson, even I am too. But I specifically told him to stay at home, and keep himself safe. We already have warned Jackson fully about his premonition and Jackson did assure us that he'll be watchful of anything suspicious. Why does he need to go there and risk his safety?

I knew I should've stayed with him. Especially when his dad is on duty in the police station. God, Jinyoung can't really blame me if I worry about him every single time. Back in LA, I made myself in charge of his safety, and usually Jinyoung has nothing to say on that.

 

I was in the middle of driving when I heard my phone ringing. Checking, I saw that it's Jackson who is calling. I used my one hand to answer his call. He's still in probable danger after all. "Hey, you okay?" It's the first thing I need to ask him. 

I heard him blew out a long sigh before answering. "Yeah, I ing am. God, Mark. I thought I'll die tonight." And that almost made me step on the brakes. 

So it really is true. What Jinyoung saw in his dream, it's true. Someone tried to kill Jackson. But who that person is, I'm afraid neither one of us has any idea. "What happened?" I asked again. "Where are you? I need to see Jinyoung right now, he's at the hospital but I could go to your place a while after?"

"No need, man. I'm here in the police station. I think I am safe already. I got that tard real good." I could only breathe a sigh of relief from what Jackson has said. "But wait, Jinyoung's at the hospital? W-why?"

I slowed down upon seeing the hospital's sign. "Jinyoung was really worried about you so he decided to go to your house and check on you himself but, something happened and he was found unconscious at this park near your flat."

As I pulled over to park, I heard a gasp from the other line. "Could it be... that psycho's fault? I mean whoever is it who is doing all these s, and the one who just almost killed me, could it be the same person who got Jinyoung?" There was a brief silence. "Or is there another one?"

I could only groan in frustration. My head is aching from thinking of all these. I couldn't find anything that will answer these questions. "I don't know. I really don't know, Jackson. Whoever he is, or whoever they are and why are they doing this, it's out of my mind's grasp. I mean... why those students? Why you? Why Jinyoung? ...... why us?" 

Of course Jackson failed to give me an answer. He just told me to send his regards to Jinyoung once I get to talk to him and I said I will. I also told him to look out for the psycho again and stay safe. He said he'll also warn the others, especially Jaebum who is dead not believing any of Jinyoung's words. Well, maybe now, he'll heed to Jinyoung's warning.

 

-----

 

"The doctors said he's fine now." 

I looked at Jinyoung's dad who is standing beside his son who is still unconscious. We are here in a private room, where Jinyoung is admitted in after the doctors and nurses treated him. It clenches my heart to see him, with a bruise on his cheek. But I am glad that I still did see him, fine. 

"That's a relief, abeoji." I watched as his hands traced Jinyoung's face, and I could see how he loves and cares for his only son.

 

"Maybe going back here was not a good idea." I heard him say. I wanted to disagree and say something, but I chose not to, and just listen and try to understand where he's coming from. His eyes remained on Jinyoung's face but he continued talking. "Maybe we should've stayed there, away from here. Away from what tainted him, from what destroyed him."

That had my mouth fell open. What? Tainted him? D-destroyed him?

"Five years ago, we needed to leave. I needed to take Jinyoung away from here. I needed to save him, I needed to save my son." As he looked at me, I saw how tears brimmed in his eyes. "That night shouldn't have happened if only... if only I was there."

What happened? I wanted to ask, but I can't bring myself to talk. But maybe I didn't need to.

"Five years ago, there was a hostage taking which happened here in Yangcheon. It happened.... in your university. Five men, trespassed and terrorized all the students and staffs who were there that night. And Jinyoung. . . ." I felt my heart quicken its pace as I awaited for him to finish his sentence. "... my son was there."

I felt like I knew what I'll hear next will only hurt me. I won't like what I'll be hearing next, but I can't close my ears.

"What was originally planned to be an educational camping activity, turned into a crime scene. For two nights, they were all held captives, without anyone knowing what they were going through in the hands of those... merciless criminals." I saw how his hands balled into a tight fist. "When I got the call that there's been murders done, I almost went crazy. I thought I wouldn't see my son anymore. Thank God, I still did." I kept my gaze on him as he tries to steady his shaking voice. "I was thankful that Jinyoung made it out alive, but... he was scarred. That traumatic experience continued to haunt him, even nights after that incident. That is why I felt the need to take him away, and let him live in a different environment until he gets better and forgets what he has gone through."

I heard his voice break as he looked at Jinyoung again. "I thought I succeeded but..." Standing on my feet, I went on his side and patted his back. I pity him. I know how he loves Jinyoung, and seeing his son in this state breaks his heart. I wish I could help.

"It's gonna be alright, abeoji. Jinyoung is going to be okay."

I felt him tap my arm, nodding in thanks. "I'm thankful that Jinyoung has met someone like you, Mark. You're a good man." Again, gazing over Jinyoung, I heard him speak. "But I think it'll be better if I take him back to LA. And stay there for good."

 

********

When Mark left, the police officer could only look at his poor son once again. He sat in the stool beside his bed and brought his hand to brush his raven hair covering his eyes. 

If his wife was still here, maybe things will be a lot better. If only she didn't leave them. If only she didn't leave their son like that... he wouldn't have to suffer like this.

His hand marvelled down to Jinyoung's arm. And as he saw those cuts, the old man could only swallow back his cry. What has he done wrong? Why is this happening to him and his son? All he wanted was a peacefu life. After everything that they have gone through, he believes they both deserve it. Jinyoung doesn't deserve this. He doesn't.

Gripping on his son's hand, the older could only cry silently. I'm sorry, son. I'm really sorry.

**********

 

[Jaebum]

We need to talk. 

 

That is all Mark's text said. That we need to talk. I wanted to ignore him but, I think it's important, and I know that in the back of my mind, I'll be concerned of whatever it is that he's gonna tell me.

As what he said, I met him at the soccer field. My last class has ended already. I asked him to wait until I finish my last class. Since he's the one who asked for us to meet, well he has to deal with my .

I walked across the field to reach the bleachers where the guy is sitting at. While approaching, I could see how he looks a lot like tired. Like he hasn't slept for nights. Well we only saw each other yesterday. And as far as I'm concerned, it was Jackson who the killer as Jinyoung has said, is after to. When I reached him, I stood at the last steps, looking up to him.

 

"He's at the hospital." He? Jackson? "Jinyoung." He said, answering my unspoken question. What happened to him? Is he involved in Jackson's- "He was found unconscious a few blocks from Jackson's apartment. Jackson was almost caught by the killer by the way, in case you care. And that psycho might've gotten to Jinyoung also. He was injured and needed to be treated by the doctors and-"

"He ain't dead, right?" And there I saw how his mouth fell open. His eyes darted on mine and he didn't blink once. It was almost chilling how he stares at me but I have mastered the art of not giving a so I did just fine ignoring his eyes. "The killer didn't kill him, right? So he's fine now. Why are you still telling this all to me?"

And just as expected, there's a flicker of anger I saw in his eyes. It's not how Mark normally looks at me. But it is almost as same as whenever I talk to Jinyoung. And I am well aware that I sound like a real er right now but, as I said, I am now a master of not giving s.

"Are you this hard, huh Jaebum?" His voice was almost placid, but I could see in his eyes, how furious he is right now. "Do you really not care about how Jinyoung is? Whoever that er is, he almost got Jinyoung-"

"But he didn't." I interrupted him. I felt how my heart starts to beat nervously, but I still pretended like it's nothing. "He's fine now, so why else should I care about him?" I scoffed at him as I put my hands on my pocket, preparing to leave. "You go ahead and be a his guard dog, I don't care. I am done caring for someone who clearly did fine, and is still doing fine without me."

I was about to turn, but then a hard punch stopped me. I almost felt my whole jaw shaking as Mark's fist hit hard on it. ! Before I could even get it together, Mark is already gripping on my collar.

"You didn't know what Jinyoung has gone through. You didn't know why he had to leave and do all that five years ago. You didn't know why he needed to get away from here, away from you, and all you're whining about is how Jinyoung left you five years ago?" He barked right at my face. "Your ing mind is still stucked on that day when he left you. But did you even bother asking why he did that? Why he needed to do that? Did you know that he was held as hostage and was tortured for two ing days? Did you know how that traumatic experience tainted him that he needed to leave this place and go far away, to undergo therapies and just so he could forget? Did you know all that, Jaebum? Did you even make an effort to know all that?"

And that hit me. Those words, I just heard... were those all true? "H-how... When did..." I couldn't even form coherent words. 

Letting go of my collar, Mark breathed in and out and stood back a bit. "That night, when he went to camping. That's when it happened."

 

And that's when I remembered. How Jinyoung asked me repeatedly to join him in that camping, but I said I couldn't. He asked all of us to come, Bambam and Yugyeom said they're going, but the day before, they said they won't be able to. 

 

"Come on, hyung. Don't be a killjoy." He asked while pouting. And no, he is not cute.

"Jinyoung, I'm not one for those kind of activities. I just...don't feel like going."

"But I want that extra points. Please, just go with me?"

I sighed, still focusing on my game. "No, Jinyoung. That's final. It's either you go alone or don't go at all."

 

But of course, Jinyoung still joined. It's his character. When he sets his mind on something, he makes sure to have it. Remembering all of it, and knowing all this, it wrenches my guts. If only... if only I stopped him from going... or at least went with him... I would've been there to keep him safe. He wouldn't have felt all alone.

It's my fault.

 

"You always said Jinyoung failed to stand by your side when you needed him..." I heard Mark say, but I can't will myself to look at him. I feel too guilty. "...but where were you when he needed you?"

 

------

 

I was already home, and is in my room, but my mind still lingers on everything Mark has told me. 

My mind repeatedly goes back to that night when Jinyoung was asking me to join him and how I refused repeatedly. How he texted me, saying he's all alone because the young ones has bailed out on him. And how I wasn't able to call him for the next nights. I was stupid for thinking it's a camping rule, for them to keep their phones off. I thought he was enjoying the camp. I didn't know...

 

I tried to get my mind off things. Maybe, maybe I should visit Jinyoung tomorrow. I'm at fault here. He didn't deserve any of my s. It's not his fault that my life started to fall apart after he left. Sure, I needed him that time, but he needed me too. And the fact that we both failed to stand by each other, is enough reason for us to forgive each other. Maybe, we can start anew?

That is... if he could still forgive me after treating him harshly.

Covering my eyes with my arm, I heard my phone buzz, telling me that I just received a message. I read that it's from Yugyeom. Now what does this brat need in this time of the night?

Hyung, could you come over?

I read his text. See this brat. Is he scared to sleep alone in his apartment? Jeez. If he's still a coward, then why did he decide to move out from his shared apartment with Bambam and Youngjae? This idiot.

After texting him, a short response of coming, I got my jacket and headed downstairs. It's a good thing dad has passed out from too much drinking. Passing him, I went for the door. 

 

**********

 

[Jinyoung]

 

"Jinyoung..." I heard her voice again. Her soft voice, but it's laced of a very sad emotion. And I could see it in her eyes as I stare at her. 

I felt my tears on my face as I tried to reach my hand out to her. "Mom..." I cried and reached further. But she's too far.

"Jinyoung, my son..." Her eyes were the loneliest eyes I have seen. They look so broken and scarred. I wanted to help. But I can't reach her. She's too far. 

 

"Mom..." I cried some more as I watched life draining out from her eyes. "No, mom... please..."

But it's no use... and as I saw how her hands dropped limply on her sides, my cries became louder. Staring at her lifeless eyes, I cried and cried.

 

Mom... why do you have to do this?

 

Mom...

 

---

 

It's another dream. Another one of my nightmares.

I looked to my right, where the window is, and I could see how the city lights lighted up the dark night. Glancing at the wall clock, it reads 8:17. This is only my second night here in the hospital but I feel like I've been staying for months here already. I want to escape. But I know I couldn't.

Just then, I felt a slight movement from my left side, and there I found a sleeping Mark. His brown hair covering his eyes. He sleeps like a child, I could only smile faintly. I know he has been spending most of his time here. If I didn't force him to go to school this morning, I am sure this guy will miss his classes.

Reaching for his hair, I could only sigh. 

I am forever thankful that I had met him. Mark is exactly who I needed, when I felt a lot like lost. I was distant, from other people, but he made an effort to come closer and break my walls. It sounded all too familiar. I remember meeting someone like him many years ago. Back when I refuse to talk to people, even to my dad. That young boy with squinty eyes was the only one who cared enough to try and get close to me. It took him some time, but he was able to make me talk again... and I am grateful for that. It just breaks my heart that, all those wonderful memories, will just remain as memories.. because now, he's the one who is refusing to talk to me.

 

"Oh," I heard Mark, and soon enough I saw him rubbing his eyes open. "You're awake now." He looked around. "Do you need something?"

I shook my head. I don't feel hungry or anything. "Shouldn't you get home?" I asked.

He scratched his head. "Well, I asked your dad if I could stay since, he needs to guard his post, and he agreed. So, I'll be the one to stick by your side up til the next morning."

To , I frowned. "Bummer." This got him frowning also, making me laugh a bit. A second after, I found his genuine smile. 

"I miss your laugh." And something in his words warmed my heart. It's a good feeling, but a foreign one. It's very seldom that I feel warmth wrapping my heart. It has gotten used to being cold for a long while now.

I wanted to smile, but I remembered what my dad said to me when we talked a while ago. About us, leaving for LA. "Well you'll be missing more of me, I'm afraid." I smiled at him sadly. "We'll be leaving for LA."

It was a few seconds before I hear Mark speak again. He cleared his throat first. I had a feeling that dad might've mentioned this to him already. Maybe it's why Mark has been sticking to me like glue. "Aside from me, who else would you miss?"

And I had to hold back my grin as I glared at him."And what made you think that I'm going to miss you?" Hearing his laugh made me feel better. I felt his hand squeezing mine gently.

"But this would be for the better, right?" And I could only nod. Mark talked some more, with that silly smile of his. "Don't miss me too much, okay? As soon as I graduate, I'll fly back to LA, and you'll see my handsome face once again."

And that cracked me up. We were both laughing when we heard Mark's phone ringing. "Who could this be?" Mark asked in annoyance.

 

"Jackson?"

 

--------

 

"He's not answering." I told Mark as he kept his hands on the wheel and I bit on my nails. 

 

A while ago, when Jackson called, he told us that Yugyeom and Bambam are missing. With this, Mark called Youngjae who is staying with Bambam in their shared apartment, but he said Jaebum is already looking for the two. Youngjae said that Jaebum went to their apartment, looking for Yugyeom. Apparently, the youngest texted Jaebum and asked to come over to his place, but when Jaebum did, there was no one there. So he thought that Yugyeom might be in Bambam and Youngjae's place, but it was only Youngjae there.

Youngjae told us that Jaebum asked him to stay in their apartment while he go looks for the two youngest. 

 

"Try again." Mark just said. So I did. 

We agreed to meet Youngjae in their apartment. But when we got there, he wasn't there. How my heart pounded when I saw their apartment empty, with no trace of Youngjae. So now, I am calling Youngjae. Please, let him be safe.

All of them cannot be reached. Jackson's, as well as Jaebum's couldn't be reached. "Mark..." my voice started trembling, but mark just got a hold of my hand and squeezed it. Somehow, it calmed me a bit, but not fully.

I almost jumped in relief when I saw a text from Youngjae, saying where he is, and that Jaebum already texted him. I told Mark about it, so he swerved to turn the other way, headed to where Youngjae said he's at.

It was really dark, and only the streaks of lightning was lighting up the dark skies. s are happening right now, and a lightning storm only adds up to the fear and tension we're feeling.

Looking ahead, I saw the huge arc where the name of our university is written on. Yangcheon University. It's just like how it was five years ago... I closed my eyes tight. I heard Mark saying that things are going to be okay and that he got me, before I heard the car's tires blow up. Right after, the car started swerving from left to right, with the sound of metal screeching. I covered my ears, as I kept my eyes looking ahead, and saw that we're crashing into a tree.

I heard Mark calling my name out, before everything went black.

 

ஐ〰ฺ・:*:・✿ฺ ஐ〰・:*:・・:*:・✿ฺ ஐ〰・:*:・・:*:・✿ฺ ஐ〰・:*:・

 

Annyeong! ^^

 

Is anyone still reading this? Hahaha. Wow. It's been really loooooong since I last updated this fic. I'm sorry for that. Anyway, there's only three chapters left.. s are taking place. *evil laugh*

I think I'll be able to finich this within the week. It'll only be short since I'm starting to hate the turn of events now. I am really regretting starting to write this. How could I do these to my boys?? TT_TT

 

So, that's it. Thank you for reading this, still. Even if I was such a slob. :(

Toodles! And see you REAL SOON. 

 

p.s. i changed the cover. hihi. it seems more fitting. i dunno.

 

<3 nicapark