A Dance?

Because it's you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was a tiring day. Tiring than usual. Something was weighing him down tremendously and though Minho knew what it was, he refused to accept it as the reason. He glanced at his chat, at the invitation Jonghyun had extended to him, which he would have accepted if it hadn’t been for the last message the guy had sent.

 

Who else is going to be there?

 

Just a couple of my classmates, and of course Jinki, Taemin...and oh yeah, Taemin’s fiance.

 

Two months. It had been two months since Taemin had been engaged. He knew he was seeing someone, he could understand him not telling him about that maybe because it wasn’t serious. But this, this was something entirely else. Something so important. So long and Taemin hadn’t breathed a word– nothing of being in a serious relationship, nothing of getting engaged. Nor had Jonghyun or Jinki. They probably thought he knew… or thought that it was Taemin’s news to convey, which he hadn’t...and it was twisting Minho’s heart because he no longer was the person Taemin confided in anymore.

 

He had expected something like this to happen from how they distant they had become over the months. But it still hurt. So much. He wasn’t even last on Taemin’s list. He was no longer on his list. To be hearing the news from a third person… he was nothing more than a stranger now.

 

His mom opened the door before he could fish out his keys and she smiled, welcoming him inside. The smell of her tea, milky, rich and sweet, it comforted him. He remembered… how much Taemin loved his mom’s milk tea. He would drop by whenever he had a headache or a craving for it.

 

His face fell as he walked in. Everything, everything reminded him of Taemin nowadays. He was so deeply embedded in his life that there was no escape. From the necktie he tied every morning to the tea he drank every night. It was Taemin who strayed into his mind. The way he had once tried to tie his necktie for his presentation before the seminar and failed terribly, and had just tied it into a knot and used pins to make it look proper. The way he slowly drank his tea, in his huge blue mug, the steam fogging his glasses. The way that scent lingered on him, sweet and milky, the way it filled Minho’s senses, mingling with his delicate white musk cologne, whenever he would fall asleep later against him.

 

He stepped out of the shower and changed quickly, trying to brush off his sullen thoughts that always ended up in remembering Taemin. The scent of his mom’s tea grew stronger and he turned towards his door being pushed open. His mom was carrying a mug for him and she placed it on his side table before sitting beside him.

 

She had noticed. She had noticed how beaten down he seemed these days. How reluctantly he went through the day, how listlessly he passed his time at home. Nothing had been able to fix his dullness, not even going out with his boyfriend. He hid it well but it could never escape her eyes. He knew and that was why he never tried to hide it at home.

 

She his shoulder and Minho just leaned on her shoulder.

 

“What’s wrong, dear?” She softly asked.

 

“Taemin got engaged,” Minho answered, the words hurt when he said it. It was now more real now that he had heard them in his own voice. “And he didn’t tell me about it.”

 

“Are you upset because he didn’t tell you… or because he got engaged?”

 

Minho remained silent, staring at his messy desk ahead before he just hugged his mom tight, sighing.

 

The answer that even he couldn’t arrive upon… she understood right away from the way he was holding her so tightly. And she just hugged him back because she knew, she knew there were no words in the world that could mend a heart that was breaking.

 



 

Taemin was sitting on the steps of the door that led out into their garden, staring at the leaves and flowers softly swaying in the morning breeze. They had just been watered and the smell of the wet earth was so beautiful, so comforting. He enjoyed spending a few minutes of his mornings like this, getting lost in something else, getting his mind off the million thoughts that tugged at his heart.

 

He broke from his daze when Jinki sat beside him. Taemin smiled. It was rare for his brother to be up so early since he worked in his labs till late. He still looked a bit tired but he had a little serene smile on his face as he gazed at the flowers as well.

 

“Taemin, do you mind if I say something?”

 

“Not at all, hyung.”

 

“I don’t like Jaeyoon.”

 

Taemin shifted in his spot, “Why? He’s nice. I like him.” He said, but he could feel it, how the words he had let out, didn’t agree with him. “Mom adores him and Dad too.”

 

“A lot, actually. I saw how they treat him.” Jinki sighed, “But don’t… don’t be with him just because of Dad and Mom, okay.”

 

“It’s not because of them, I promise, hyung.”

 

“...okay.” Jinki let it go, “As long as you’re happy.” He straightened up, changing the subject, “Dad said he was gonna plant more roses in that section over there,” He said and Taemin followed the direction of his finger.

 

“But there are already so many roses. He should plant lilies as well. I will tell him over breakfast.”

 

“Nah, it’s okay. I’m happy with my little patch over here.”

 

Taemin reverted his gaze back to the lilies, “Why do you like them, hyung?”

 

Jinki was silent for a long time before he finally answered, “I am not exactly a flower-person, Taemin. And Dad knows that.” He chuckled softly, “That’s why, you, who love them, get a bigger section in his garden.”

 

“Then… do you like lilies or not?”

 

“Hmm, I guess I do. Actually, all flowers seem beautiful to me.”

 

“So why did you say lilies when Dad asked you what your favorite flower was?”

 

Jinki got up and ruffled Taemin’s hair as he answered, “Because your stupid friend likes them.”

 

Taemin furrowed his brows in thought but he remembered suddenly, how Jonghyun was smitten by the lilies when he first had seen their garden four years ago. He turned around, his eyes wide and Jinki who was looking at him, leaning against the door frame, smiled. “Shh,” He put a finger to his lips before he turned and walked away… and what that had meant, it finally settled entirely when Jinki’s footsteps had faded from his senses.

 

“Wow,” Taemin smiled to himself, “He could be ing romantic in his own way, huh.”

 



 

It was Friday. Minho was off work early and had come over to the cafe Kibum usually studied in. Kibum had already ordered so he just grabbed the coffee and donuts before he walked to his table. It was in the corner, the tables around them were empty and the light was plenty, pouring in from outside. Kibum greeted him with a little smile and Minho returned it, kissing his cheek before he took the seat opposite him.

 

“Goodness, I hated the prerequisite of this subject,” Minho commented when he glanced at the books spread over the table, “And you’re taking an advanced class for it. Commendable.”

 

Kibum laughed, “Congratulations, by the way.”

 

Minho smiled a little, “Thanks. But I’m probably not gonna accept the offer.”

 

“Are you crazy.” Kibum deadpanned, “They are transferring you to the States.”

 

“But I can’t leave mom–”

 

“She was the one who asked me to beat some sense into you. So that means she wants you to take it and she’s gonna be okay. I’m here. Your friends are here. Her friends are here–”

 

“What about you–”

 

“I can handle long distance.” Kibum answered right away, “And who knows,” He smiled a little playfully, “I might even end up somewhere near you next semester. There’s an exchange student program I got qualified for next sem. I’m not that easy to g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter