Habits

Because it's you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“But it’s Taemin’s birthday that day–”

 

“I don’t know when my parents will be in town together like this,” Kibum argued, sipping on his lemonade. He was playing with the little braids in his sea-green hair. He was growing his hair out. His dark roots were now mixed with his overgrown sea green locks and were slowly dominating the shade of his hair. He was growing his hair out because Minho had once said he’d look great with slightly longer hair. But Minho hadn’t noticed at all. He was anxious. His attention was elsewhere. On his best friend. Taemin. “I told them that I am bringing my boyfriend over...and I might’ve also added that I was planning to take our relationship a step further.”

 

Minho’s eyes widened, his expression softening a little, “Kibum–”

 

Kibum was panicking, “No, I am not thinking of anything but dating right now...it’s just that...I want them to meet you and they would never agree to it if I just say you’re my boyfriend. I had to say something else to get their attention.”

 

Minho bit his lip. This was really important to Kibum even if he couldn’t understand why...even if Kibum wouldn’t tell him why. So he sighed and glanced one last time at the text Jonghyun had sent him. He typed his reply, not liking one bit that he had to refuse. It was weighing on him…and he hated this feeling.

 

“Okay,” Minho said, “When do I come over?”

 

Kibum’s lips curled up in victory, “Sharp 8.”

 


 

The dinner was done with. Minho had kept staring at his phone throughout but still somehow had managed to give off a good impression to Kibum’s parents. They both were professors working on a research and were always visiting universities in different countries, teaching a semester there or just giving seminars. They had caught a new lead and were now working separately so were never in town together. They often caught up with each other overseas but catching up at home was rare. It was all going to fall in place when their publication was out and the patent was theirs. It could take a year or two more. But what the research was about, it had completely gone over Minho’s head. Or maybe they had purposely made it such that to see how Minho’s patience was. Lucky for them, Minho was too caught up elsewhere. The reason he looked far from confused was that he hadn’t paid attention at all.  To them, he came off quiet, sensible and patient.

 

Maybe that was why they had retired to upstairs after dessert, insisting that he stayed the night since it was late. Minho couldn’t refuse a request like that...nor did he have the heart to dim Kibum’s smile. So there they were, watching a movie together at a low volume. Kibum was sitting close, their shoulders were touching, their fingers were entangled in each other’s...and Kibum was engrossed in the movie. So much that he didn’t even notice how restless Minho was, trying to type something on his phone with his other hand. When he was finally satisfied with the message he had typed, he hit send and sunk into the couch, letting go of Kibum’s hand so he could put it around him and pull him closer. Though Kibum let Minho’s hand around him, he didn’t lean into him much.

 

Minho sighed in disappointment. He was feeling ty because his phone hadn’t pinged with a reply. He took his arm off from Kibum slowly, feeling uncomfortable at how they were sitting. Maybe Kibum wasn’t the kind who’d snuggle, so he just retracted his arm and rested his head back, sighing as he checked his phone another time. His message was read but there was no reply. It made his heart twist a bit and he dropped his phone to the side and decided to just sleep this feeling off.

 

And Kibum only realized that Minho was asleep when the credits were rolling on the screen. He pouted, poking his cheek to wake him up.

 

“Tae–” Minho woke up, startled and Kibum blinked, a little taken aback at the incomplete name that had left Minho’s lips.

 

“I’m sorry,” Kibum said after a long moment of watching Minho rub his eyes awake, “You must be really feeling bad...missing his birthday.”

 

Minho laughed it off. His voice was a bit hoarse and it hid how forced it was. “Not really. It comes every year.” He whispered, unlocking his phone. It opened right where he had left it. On Taemin’s and his chat. His message was sent around 12.40 am and Taemin’s last seen was 3.16 am. That knowledge hit him like a ton of bricks. Because Taemin had read his message but hadn’t replied even after so much time had passed. This never happened. Taemin was ignoring him...and it was pissing Minho off terribly.

 

Kibum was shifting closer, playing with Minho’s collar, “Hey.”

 

Minho looked up from his phone, his brows knitted into a frown.

 

“It’s been around a month but…” Kibum started, flushing a little, “We haven’t even kissed yet.” He paused, chuckling a bit, “Those kisses on the cheeks...don’t count.”
 

“Yea-Yeah…” Minho grew a little flustered too. But he just rested his head back. His head was spinning a bit. His mind had drifted elsewhere again and Kibum just stared at how troubled he looked.

 

Kibum sighed to himself and got up, knowing that Minho was not gonna take the hint. At least not today. “Guest room’s on the right down the hallway. Get some rest it’s only like 4 in the morning.”

 

“Yeah…thanks…” Minho answered dully and Kibum shook his head and left for his room after murmuring goodnight.

 


 

Taemin hadn’t replied at all...nor had he been messaging much in the group chat. And Minho was holding onto his childish pride, not wanting to message him first. He had apologized already but if Taemin’s ego was too big to forgive him, then he was no way gonna

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter