Chapter Seven

Empty Gold

Jimin finally dared leave the hut the next day – with Seokjin watching him like a hawk as if he expected the younger omega to fall over. He was leaning heavily on his alpha, his tiny hands twisting into the furs that covered Yoongi’s torso, but there was some sort of certainty to the way he took each step.

He was, if only for the time being, alright.

It was a miracle – the healer thought as he watched his brother grin down at the small boy, his teeth flashing in the bright sunlight. It was still hard to say how long it would last, but for now, it seemed quite permanent.

Taehyung was out as well – albeit he had been, even the day before, as if nothing had happened to him. He was crouched by the bonfire, watching as some alphas were throwing large pieces of wood into it.

When he reached out a hand towards the glowing flames, Jimin was suddenly by his side – how he had done that, Seokjin had no idea – his eyes serious and scowl almost scary. “What do you think you’re doing?”

“Just checkin’ if it’s real.” the younger omega whispered. It was quiet, very unusual of him – and the way he usually spoke as if he knew everything and more about the world – but very real as well.

Jimin cooed and ran a still-bruised hand through his messy hair before cuddling closer to the younger, shooting a sad smile at his alpha who hovered, watching the two of them warily. Yoongi was showing every sign of a normal just-mated alpha despite how his mate had been on the brink of death just days ago. He was possessive (the moment when the two of them stepped out of the hut, there were alphas whistling towards them, albeit all with good nature, having known the young omega as a pup – and he growled, startling them into minding their own business) and oh, quite clingy as well.

Jimin however, didn’t seem as dependent on his alpha as he should have been. Maybe it was still hard to judge it, for Seokjin didn’t really know him, but he seemed completely fine, hugging his friend instead of whining to be closer to his mate. The again, maybe he was crying inwardly – maybe he was just pretending to be happy to have to help out the younger pup.

In all genuine honesty, Seokjin was getting a headache from the entire situation. Which was definitely not a good sign. He was worried, and he knew that if they lost the omega, his brother would be dead as well. It was terrifying.

Though… He knew very well that he would have done the very same thing for his mate. He would have tied their lives together just so that the two of them would have the chance to die together – and to exist as well, until one of their bodies had decided to give up, allowing death to swallow it whole.

But… That was different.

He had known his alpha for a long time.

He shook his head with a soft sigh.

“I assume I’m not needed here.” he said, a tired smile playing on his chapped lips.” I feel like I need a bath, so I will by the river.” he added – omegas always had to tell where they would be going, just in case something happened. In their territory, it was highly unlikely, but danger could linger closer than one would ever think.

It was best to make sure that his pack was aware of his whereabouts, that was it basically.

“I’ll go with you,” Namjoon emerged from the woods, holding a large rabbit in one hand and a knife in the other. “As long as someone can take care of this for me. It’s not much, but will be good for breakfast at least.”

“I’ll do it.” Jimin spoke up quietly. Only then did his brother notice that he was there, pale but healthy-looking with his lips twisting into a shy grin.” I like having something to do.” he added softly.

Yoongi gave a small warning growl – not to his mate but to the other alpha, to which the taller rolled his eyes.

“He’s my brother. Seriously. And Jiminnie, if you think you can do this, I would be really happy. We have more coming soon, but I really need to get clean before I even go close the fire. If all this mud dry onto my skin, it’ll be hard to walk.”

Why he was so dirty to begin with was a mystery – but Jimin couldn’t help but let out a quiet chuckle. He pursed his lips as he pushed himself up – ignoring Taehyung’s quiet whine and the way the younger omega grabbed onto his arm, for now it was merely heat he was seeking and not comfort – and stumbled to where his brother stood.

Yoongi was by his side within moments, but this time, he merely watched, pride clear in his gaze. His mate had beaten all odds, and was even ready to ‘work’, if only a little. He was unsure whether it was a good idea or not, but he didn’t dare say no, especially after the previous night.

“Thank you so much, Jiminnie. I think you can just sit down there and we can get a bowl or something for you. And a better knife. This one isn’t great.”

At that, most surrounding wolves scoffed, but didn’t say why. It seemed like an inside joke that they all seemed to know - but the omega didn't dare ask for he was afraid it would draw all the attention to him. 

Jimin hummed softly and propped down by the fire. He just felt better if he was doing something – because staying so idle was making him feel useless. Aching body, scars and all ignored, he went to skinning the rabbit. Only when his mate joined him by his side did he relax a little. All those eyes on him – the whole pack seemed to be watching – were making him squirm, but he was still doing a decent job.

Right until the knife slipped.

AN: So I finally am back to the world of writing, albeit this is a bit of a cheat given that it was written and readable ages ago, but it is a start so :D