Chapter Six

Empty Gold

Jimin was terrified.

The wolf deep in his soul was howling at him for even letting himself worry (it was okay, alpha was there to take care of them, nothing would happen, they would be fine finally) it cooed each time his human mind allowed itself to wander, but…

It wasn’t as easy as he wanted it to be.

Shaking, he pressed closer to the man he knew – as a pup, at least. He felt better, but his body still ached. It wouldn’t ever go away, he knew. The marks would fade slowly, his skin fading into its usual shade after some time, but he would always feel as if there was something pushing down his chest, digging into his legs and arms, scraping at his back, or whips and…

Another distressed whimper left his lips, and this time, it was almost an animal’s – it was his omega pleading for its slumbering mate to wake. He felt strong arms wrap around his middle and his heavily beating heart slowed almost instantly – but sleep still evaded his mind.

“Love, are you in pain?” even laced with tiredness, low and sweet, the alpha’s voice was like music to his ears. He hummed in response, pressing closer again, his tiny hands curling into the furs that were draped over the both of them. The fresh bite stung on his neck but suddenly, there was a tongue lapping at it, as if the older had heard him.

All his life, Jimin had been raised to fear alphas.

He had thought at one point that he would end up like all the others whose time had ran out, tossed into the forest like broken toys. And here he was now – shaken and probably ready to shatter any moment – but in the arms in one of the very creatures he had loathed so much.

But it felt right.

And Yoongi, alpha or not, would never hurt him. That, he knew because he could remember.

It was hard to forget the pup that dragged him out of the river that one day he fell in. The one who kept him warm when they were young – and the very alpha he had thought would come rescue him. Each night, still as a child, as he was trained to be obedient (which he had never been, for he was spoilt as every other omega child in his pack) he would look up at the ceiling of the den they had been pushed into and wonder when the other would come for him.

And then he grew up.

But he never stopped believing.

His thoughts were broken when he felt warm hands gently caressing his suddenly freezing skin. Sighing in relief, he tried to close his eyes (this must have meant that the alpha wanted to sleep and he shouldn’t interrupt him, but he just couldn’t fully relax when he was still so scared, even if he wasn’t sure what from and suddenly he was near panic, petrified that he would be punished.

Again, his wolf was growling – there was no way their alpha could hurt them, he was so caring and he was so tender and warm and really Jimin should have just closed his eyes and slept for another morning would come soon and he would have all the time to worry and fret but…

“Love, hey. It’s okay… ssh.” he heard, and there was a hand on his chest – pressing into long cuts, but the pain was almost liberating, for it was grounding him – and another was taking his to press it flush against heated flesh. “Just feel it. Count with me, please. And breathe

Jimin quivered, but he obeyed, his eyes falling shut as he felt his mate’s heart pound against his hand. Alphas over there would never make an omega who was stressing so bad. If anything, they would put them on the list – but there the older was, counting and whispering and his sweet voice was enough to finally allow Jimin to think clear, if only for a moment.

“Why? Why do you do all of this for me? I’m not worth it.” this was the most he had spoken in days, and it hurt, but somehow it was hard to stop, right until plush fingers pressed against his lips.

“I do it because I love you. You’re just as perfect as the last time I’ve seen you, if not even better. You’re beautiful. Scars could never cover you  up. You’re mine, omega, and I promise to protect and love you until we die. And if needed, I will remind you each and every day.”

Was it the man’s alpha talking or his heart? The younger wolf was unsure, but he didn’t dare wonder as now, there were lips against his forehead and soft words were uttered.

“Sleep. I won’t let you slip away.” the promise rang in his ears and he slowly drifted off into dreamland.

A tiny smile played on his lips, and to Yoongi, he had never been more beautiful.