Chapter One

Empty Gold

It always broke Seokjin’s heart to care for omegas that have been stolen. As a healer, and the best one in his Pack, he was often the one that frantic members of his family would rush to, carrying broken wolves who would often pass on before he even had the chance to try. Those were the saddest days, his legs would carry him out of his hut and he would just howl, throwing his head to face the sky.

The pack – all his brothers and sisters – would follow, and sadness would cling to the air. Innocent souls that were torn from their families and never given the chance to see them just one more time – they were the ones that they mourned the most.

Other days, the healer would have the chance to at least look at those skinny, torn little wolves, usually much younger than him and all beautiful in their own way. He would try to work his magic, fingers nimble and precise as ancient words of a language only he knew would escape his lips.

Only a few of the stolen would live to see another day. And even they would slowly flutter on, their hearts too weak, bodies too frail.

Seokjin was the best healer man packs had seen in the past decades, if not more. He was connected to Nature in ways that other wolves could barely dream of, and even a mere whisper of his voice could heal any wound.

But no stolen soul had ever survived under his care. All of them slipped away – just like the hope that used to be there in his thoughts.

He could remember stories of times when it had not been so rough. When fear was not the first thing in his mind as he wondered about having pups of his own – pups that could be torn from him in a matter of moments. There used to be peace and some sort of happiness…

But really, he couldn’t really tell when, for even during the years he was born and years, his mother’s eyes held terror each night she sang him to sleep.

But he had been lucky – fortunate enough to be brought up without being taken from his family, people that treasured him for who he was. His brother would always be by his side, pretending to be just there to play but…

He had forever been on guard, right until the omega had finally bore the marks of his rank in the pack – deeming him safe.

His thoughts were torn, heartbeat picking up when a howl of absolute terror resounded in the woods surrounding his hut. The patients – all of them from his own pack, and safe – stirred, a little girl asking him why someone sounded so scared.

Seokjin shook, fingers turning white as he clenched at the hem of the loose pants he over, the fur grounding him, if for a moment. He could recognize that howl anywhere, for it belonged to the wolf that would curl up by his side each and every night. His mate, his alpha, the one that could calm him after a harsh day, after losing a life… The same wolf that would cry with him as he clung to his body as if he were a lifeline.

Namjoon, his alpha, in distress. Was he in pain? Injured during hunting?

Or maybe…

Seokjin pushed those thoughts away, praying that he was wrong. Within moments, he was running, his lithe form sprouting tan fur, clothes ripping into shreds as he grew. He was a wolf now, larger than most of his kin, but still smaller than many of the alphas he had met. Strong for an omega, but still tender and loving as one.

And so he dashed through the forest, rapid like wildfire. He knew that he was supposed to wait, to prepare for whoever that was hurt, but panic tore through him, barely allowing him to think. It was instinct that led him to the edge of their territory, near the shallow river that they would often swim in when the summer sun got too hot, burning through their skin. But this time, he wasn’t plunging into the water. He stopped right before the riverbank, spotting his mate on the other side of the border, growling low and threatening.

And that was when he saw the other wolves.

He knew just by the look of them that they were thieves, large and proud alphas with scars marring their skin – matching their rotting souls. They held themselves tall still, but Seokjin had a feeling that it wouldn’t be long until they would run away, tail between their legs like the cowards they really were, for Namjoon also wasn’t alone.

Many of his pack – the strongest, largest of his brothers – were already there, crossing the river by ease as they bared their teeth. It was a chilling sight. Even the omega felt a little afraid, albeit he knew that he would never be the target of his pack’s anger.

He was almost confused, for a moment. At first, he couldn’t see just why his mate had let out that shrill call of fear – but slowly, his eyes caught something odd in the grass.

A wolf, tiny and barely moving lay guarded by his mate. His fur was ragged, blood colouring the pale silver crimson in large patches. And on his neck, was the mark Seokjin had feared. Burnt into his fur, an odd shape, one that he had seen many times.

The sign that the covering little thing had been stolen.

The fight was quick and won with little effort. His pack was stronger – and the rage that those alphas felt seemed to be burning through the field. It was bloody, however. This time, none of those vile beings had managed to escape.

The healer, for once, thanked Nature for allowing his kin to die. But he barely noticed any of what was going on, for he was already human once more, struggling to help the hopeless little thing on the floor.

He felt odd, for the scent that came from the omega was almost familiar. One that reminded him of something… Someone. But who, he was unsure of as he tried to stop bleeding and to gentle rouse the poor thing from his unconscious state. Deep down, he knew, he knew that it was a lost cause, that he could never save a stolen soul, but he still tried.

And as his mate joined him, shaking as he collapsed on his knees, his nose burrowed in the fur of the creature he had just found, Seokjin stilled for a moment. Because suddenly he knew… He knew why his alpha looked to be in so much pain even though he bore no signs of his fight. He understood the affection and tenderness in those tearful eyes.

“It’s him, isn’t it?” he took a breath once more and inhaled the scent that was so similar to his mate’s, yet so different: a little sweeter, with just a hint of berries added to the fragrance of forest and the Earth he adored so much. He could recall the face up a pup that was only a few years younger than him, stumbling, laughing, chasing the two of them when life was still good.

His heart clenched as he tried to coax the omega to open his eyes, to show at least a small sign of being there with them, if only for a moment. He was afraid of having to take him back to the village like this. He could already hear many souls mourn, for this time, the stolen soul that would join many others in the sky soon have been one of their own.

“I will save him… I will try. I won’t let him down.” This was what he always said, and yet, he always failed. But this time, Seokjin wanted it to be different.

                                                                                              ***

In his hut, it felt safer. The omega treated the wounds of the tiny wolf, keeping his mate outside for he was terrified he would ruin even the chance of him giving the little one a chance to keep fighting. He knew that his alpha was in pain, he could hear his distressed whines, but he struggled to focus, even when another voice – one he also knew too well – joined the man he loved so much.

It was with surprise that the healer saw dark brown eyes flutter shut. And slowly, the wolf turned into a human. Seokjin wished he hadn’t, for many of his wounds opened up once more and the cry that tore from his throat was of absolute anguish. But he seemed aware enough, covering in fear.

“Hey, it’s alright.” the healer whispered, and it was his voice that broke as a hand went out to ruffle coarse silver hair.” You’re safe. I promise you. Do you… do you know who you are? Where you are?”

He received no answer, just a small whimper. It was more than nothing, however, and the healer found himself praising the younger wolf quietly. He didn’t dare whisper his name, not yet.

“Good, good…” And he went on, cleaning each wound once more. The soft sounds of pain that escaped the other omega made him flinch each time and yet, he was thankful that he was so awake and aware. There were too many cuts and bruises, the body of the wolf barely even trying to repair itself despite how it should have, how it possessed the ability to do so.

Once the poor soul was wrapped up and covered by thick furs, Seokjin stood. However, just as he was about to move, fingers wrapped around his ankle, blunt nails digging into the skin with desperation. Flushed and panting, the other omega finally spoke, his voice barely louder than a breath that escaped his pale lips.

“Don’t leave me…”

His fever, brought on by his wounds was too high, and he shook more with each passing moment and yet, Seokjin caved – someone else could gather the herbs he would need. “It’s okay. You’ll never be alone again…”

Just as he was about to whisper more, words emptier than his heart as he was almost convinced that this life would slip through his hands like all those others had before, he heard a growl. Loud, clear, and absolutely terrifying, just before the door to his hut was torn open and a livid alpha stormed in, his eyes red with anger, but his smell spiking with fear.

“You can’t go in!” He heard Namjoon yell, trying to wrestle the other back out into the clearing, but something caught Seokjin’s attention. The moment the smell of the alpha – his brother, of all people – filled the room, the omega in front of them seemed to relax, if only a little. His hands shot up once more, blinding searching to grasp onto something, but the desperation in his movements was less by each passing second.

“It’s you…” the alpha whispered, and the healer just watched as his confidence crumbled. For long years, he had been silent, barely uttering a word to anyone that dared glance at him. But there was tenderness in his actions as he grabbed the small fingers so eager to reach for him, peppering them with kisses as if he had yearned to for a long, long time.” Please, let me stay with him.” was all he whispered brokenly.

Seokjin could remember more of those memories that he desperately wanted to push away. His brother always guarding the cute little pup that would follow them – for back then, the alpha would be happy to play as well – refusing to leave him even at night. And that, the night that changed everything…

“Just try not to jostle him too much. He must be in so much pain…” blinking away his own tears, the omega reached glanced at his mate that stood there still, and spotted an older omega behind him – his mother.” Please, help me gather some herbs for him, Joonie. Mother, it’s alright for you to… to come in here now.”

He watched as his mate’s mother, the pack’s strongest omega shattered in front of his own eyes. As she crumbled and wailed by the side of her child – barely noticing the alpha that was still there, ready to pounce if she ever dared to threaten the life of his omega.

“Please, please help him…” was what the woman kept uttering, and the healer’s soul shattered once more as he already knew that there was only so much that could could do.


AN: I'm just gonna cover here in silence. It's what it is, I guess. (aka me trying to experiment with pretty have stuff. Works? Idk.)