Chapter Two

Empty Gold

“Do you think he’s… he’s got a chance?” Namjoon’s quiet voice barely broke his omega out of concentration as Seokjin looked for specific herbs and flowers, nimble fingers gently tearing them from the ground before soft lips would whisper in gentle gratitude to the ground for providing him with what he sought.

It was with a sigh that he responded, his eyes filling with sadness.” He seems to be more aware than any of the others. But I… You know that I can’t lie to you, right, Joonie?”

The alpha’s shoulders sagged at that, the loss of what little hope he held quickly erased from his mind.

“He’s… he’s my brother, love. Even if I hadn’t seen him for so many years, he’s still my brother. Our Jimin…”

“But is he now?” was what the healer asked, his question meaningful to the both of them. They knew too well that those souls who were stolen, torn from their packs like that were nothing but objects abuse for those that held them captive. And only when they were completely broken and their chance to live was severed would they be tossed out like that.

As if those murderers were laughing in the faces of many packs they destroyed like that: the trophy of them being stronger bloody and heavy with sorrow.

“Am I wrong for praying to get at least another day with him? I know that he is in pain… I know that all he knows is suffering but…” Namjoon hang his head low, his tears shining in his dark eyes as he picked out some weeds, throwing them back in the grass.” I know that for them, to pass quickly is much better, it’s with less pain but…”

“He is your brother, Joonie. Of course, you wish for him to stay. But… You have seen his body. If it’s not his wounds that take his life, than it will be his fever. And even if he pulls through… He’s barely skin and bones. He would never survive the winter here.”

Why was he speaking with such cruel words? The omega himself did not understand – had he lost too many lives, had he stopped caring? Had his heart lost its warmth? Deep down, it was him that was still trying to think, looking for a solution, begging for Nature to allow them one more chance but…

None of that seemed to come out his lips. Just the bitter truth and nothing else.

“We can at least ease his pain until he leaves us…” he whispered finally, and didn’t dare glance at his mate, for he knew that the look in those eyes he adored so much would crush his soul. “I believe that when we find them, it’s not healing that they need, just a comfortable place to rest in while they prepare to pass.”

*******

“Jiminnie, do you remember?” the omega was barely awake, but he listened to the soft croon of the woman that sat next to him, his eyes half-open but struggling to focus on his saddened face still.” Do you remember when you were this small, and you wanted to hunt a deer?”

“You fell into the river instead.” a chuckle, heavy with tears came from the alpha, and the poor stolen soul felt something clutch his fingers more, and then wet lips on his knuckles. He let out a soft whine, but there was something stirring in the back of his mind.

“It was cold,” he breathed out, speaking for the first time since the healer had left. He felt pain in his chest, growing with each word, and suddenly coughs were racking his small form, but the hum he received in response was enough to calm him for a moment.

“Yes. How you did that, I’m not sure. But, I remember the panic you gave us. And you just laughed! Oh, my sweet pup, my little one.”

The omega didn’t speak again, but he lay there, listening. He forced himself to stay awake, for somehow. he knew – if he let sleep embrace him, he would never rouse again. He was terrified.

He was scared of the change – he could still recall the feel of cold chains wrapped around his feet and wrists, the cold pain, the blood running down his bare skin or matting his fur when they forced him into his other form to heal. He could recall it all, and with each moment it seemed more like a nightmare, but real, too. He wondered, in his feverous state, if he was just imagining it all. His mother – for he knew, her scent engraved into his broken mind, even now. Was he about to pass on, was she just a mirage to calm his mind before darkness would succumb him for sure?

“I promised you, one day… I doubt you remember because you were a pup, so small your eyes weren’t even open, huh… But I remember knowing that you were the one for me. So I promised to keep you safe, to give you the best each day. I would keep my promise, if you let me. You would be the happiest omega here, my sweet…” again, the alpha didn’t utter his name, but it hang in the air.

A sigh left parched lips, and they formed a word – one that the older woman had never heard any stolen whisper before, for they were so lost, they could barely recall their bodily needs. And yet there he was, his eyes opening more again, and a hand raised slightly.

“Water…”

It was the alpha that ran out for fresh water, his legs trembling, but there was new hope blooming in his chest.

Alphas tried to stop him, questions rapid like fire, but he just shook them off as got the coldest of the small bottles they held, perfect to squelch the thirst of his love, his beautiful little thing that had come back to him, just like he had prayed for him to, each time he glanced up at the moon.

Maybe it was a good sign, he thought as he kneeled by the omega, watching the mother who had once thought she had lost her pup for good prop him up gently, almost as if she was handling a new born once more.

“Gently, okay? He can’t drink too much, just a few drops for now…” she whispered, but her mind was changed quickly when she saw the way those weak fingers curled around the bottle, and the omega drank so fast he had to be calmed to slow down.

“There’s more from where this is from,” the alpha whispered, tilting the bottle gently, his hands never leaving it for he feared his love would drop it. There was a certain haze in his mind, he nearly growled when the woman by him moved to lay the omega down slightly.

“He might refuse you if you act this way to his mother, alpha,” was what the elder omega crooned, but there was mirth in her eyes as she spoke. For a moment, she seemed older, her grey hair almost gaining back some of its beautiful red colour, her gaze light and sweet.

But the stolen, the beautiful little soul coughed again, and nearly choked, the water coming back out within moments, wetting the furs around him as he struggled to turn to his side, heaving more with each breath.

“Oh dear,” his mother whispered and held him up gently, watching the alpha warily.” See, pup? Thirst is one thing, but we must always take it slow. Baby steps.”

The other nodded, and a tentative hand went out to ruffle matted hair gently, his fingers founding solace in how there was still a softness to them.

“Now, next time he asks, we will only give him a little. If he keeps it down, we’ll try some more. Can you hear that, my darling?”

The omega did not respond, but let himself laid back down gently, a soft sigh escaping him. His throat burnt, the pain coming back – but he was afraid to ask once more, for he sensed the tension in the hut by ease.

“What else can we do for him?” asked the alpha quietly, lips curling into a smile at the pleased sigh from his omega as he continued his gentle actions, fingers carding through his hair by ease now.

“Just keep company, I believe. It’s up to Seokjin to treat him.” the elder whispered with a sigh, her eyes once more just a mother’s as she smiled lightly, hearing the soft content hums from her up.” Even if he has changed, he’s grown, I would always recognize him. Without his scent, too. Just look at his face! Still my little angel,” she broke there, voice cracking as she struggled to keep talking. As she was about to try once more, Seokjin finally stepped inside, carrying the herbs he had gathered.

“Oh, poor thing.” he whispered, immediately seeing the residue of water and bile by the furs.” After I give him this tea, it would be better to bathe him somehow. I believe you can do that for him, Yoongi.” the alpha nodded, flinching only when his omega let out a whine.” For now, I will prepare this, it should bring his fever down.”

“He’s going to get better, right?” the alpha questioned, his heart clenching when the healer sighed.

“It’s hard to say. We will never know the true extent of what had happened to him, and there’s only so much I can do. Brother, I wish that it wasn’t us that had found him, for… I know it will be harder to let him go. But it might be better for us to prepare.”

“What if he’s the one we can help? What if something changes, if he’ll be alright?” the alpha whispered, and the growing anger in his voice made all omegas in the hut flinch, his poor beauty included. He was quick to hush him gently, thankful that for some reason, he didn’t seem as afraid as the others they would find. Almost as if he truly remembered.

“I’m sorry. But I will try my best. If there’s just a glimmer of hope, I will grab it. I’ve cleaned his wounds, we will bring his fever down… There’s little I can do other than this, and you know.” He finished crushing the leaves and herbs, motioning for his brother to help. Yoongi knew that Seokjin was merely in his healer mindset, that he just did not want to hurt and suffer when he was caring for someone he actually had known before, but the harshness of his words was still too painful for him.

And yet, he assisted as much as he could, almost chuckling when his omega let out an almost disgusted yelp as they tried to coax him into drinking the foul-smelling tea.

“I’m afraid most of this will end up like the water, but it’s best to at least try.” Seokjin murmured, and he watched as the omega let out a small groan of pain, a hand rushing towards his stomach. “Ssh, it’s alright. I promise you…” he spoke different now, addressing the poor lost soul instead of his brother. It was a clear change that even Yoongi seemed to appreciate in his own way. Namjoon suddenly appeared in the door, fear clear on his face.

“They found another. And he’s also ours.”

It was rare for them to find their own packmates that had been torn from them. Mostly, they would just hear the news from their neighbours and parents or siblings would have to rush to the nearby packs, ignoring rules of trespassing, only to find that it was already too late. But this time was different, and maybe even more painful.

“Bring him in.” the healer said, helping his brother move the omega slightly further to the corner of the room so they would have more space for the other.

He did not expect the wolf to be fully conscious and snarling, eyes livid – but oh, too familiar.WW