Chapter Ten

Empty Gold

The morning after he had officially moved in with his mate (it was so strange still, hard for him to understand that the alpha had actually wanted him there, in his nest of all places, just for the warmth of his body and nothing else, and he was so eager to hold him when his fear took over him that night) Jimin was awoken to a large commotion coming from outside. He whined softly when Yoongi stirred next to him, the older letting out a low, warning growl to no one (and everyone, really) in particular as he stretched, arms still wrapped tightly around the smaller, holding him in an iron grip.

“You stay until I make sure it’s safe,” his voice rough from sleep but eyes wide and alert, the alpha stood up swiftly, already tugging on some clothes that hang from the shelves. Jimin squeaked at that, seeing him in his glory just for a moment before closing his eyes, face hidden by his tiny hands shyly. His cheeks burnt a cherry red but Yoongi barely realized – he was running on worry, his instincts going haywire. He could smell unmated alphas even from the safety of his hut and they didn’t belong to his pack. Just the thought was enough to cause the small hairs at the base of his head bristle. Maybe it was a little odd of him to be so possessive already but Jimin was his and no one else’s – no other alpha would ever be able to even think of claiming him as their own.

Somehow, the little omega seemed more attuned to the other’s emotions than before as he slowly pushed himself up (he still had quite a bit of difficulty moving, albeit most of the time it wasn’t too obvious. Still, he was there to lay a soothing hand on the alpha’s shoulder with a soft, gentle smile.

“I’ll stay, but please, take care.” he whispered. He was about to say something else when the door of the hut was torn open by a panicked Taehyung.

“They came to get my corpse oh my god they are going to kill me help me please they want me dead.” he rambled, and that was the first time the alpha truly saw him break down. He had been odd but never so frail before, but it was almost as if something (or whoever that he was talking about) had caused him to completely snap.

Jimin however, again, quicker than it should have been possible for him, was by the younger’s side, slapping him across the face as gently as he could but with enough power to tear him out of whatever terrifying daydream that he was going through.

He didn’t expect the other omega to attack him back for sure.

Taehyung was skinny but taller than Jimin and he had always held more power – maybe that was why the older omega fell when the bony fist of his friend collided with his nose. He hadn’t expected the hit (it wasn’t even intentional and he knew it, a mere reflex caused by shock and fear), but it had still taken him off guard and caused him to whine, landing painfully on his back.

Yoongi was there within moments, an inhumane snarl torn out of his throat. Taehyung was back to his senses already however, and he shook, eyes wide – he had hurt his ‘elder brother’…

“Jiminnie, I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to…” he whispered, hands shaking wildly. But it was the alpha in the hut that was causing more of his fear. He could already see that his apology was accepted by his friend but Yoongi was another case.

“If you dare touch him again, omega or not,” he started, the threat hanging in the air for a few moments before he parted his lips to continue, his fists clenching with anger and teeth ground together with a sound that was petrifying to both of the youngers” I will personally make sure to dispose of you.”

That was the moment Seokjin chose to finally join them, concern and some sort of amusement flickering on his face. Behind him were a few shifters they had never seen before, looking confused and slightly bewildered at the sight.

“I think there’s a bit of a misunderstanding going on here. Remember how we’ve sent a message to your pack that you’ve been found?” he asked Taehyung, easily ignoring his brother’s low growl (he had dealt with many territorial alphas after all. His main concern was Jimin really, still down on the ground with pain written clear across his features. Had he pointed it out however, it would have caused even more chaos and he knew it all too well.” There had never been a stolen omega that we could save – and usually by the time their pack is here, they are all..”

“They die, right?” Jimin asked softly. “They are abandoned and left to die, but  before their family finds them, they give up… But we’re different. And they didn’t know, I assume.”

“Is that him?” a young alpha, probably on the brink of reaching adulthood asked, pointing at Jimin with something akin to disappointment in his voice.

“No, that’s Jimin. The feisty one’s from your pack.” Taehyung gave a soft scoff at that, his attitude finally returning as he glanced at his packmates finally, messy hair falling into his eyes.

“So they just thought that I was…”

“Dead. But you clearly aren’t.” an omega woman muttered, confusion clear in her voice. “Uh, this is really not what we were expecting. We didn’t even see you so but I assume that you’ve heard us and…”

“You scared him.” Jimin muttered softly, and only then did he finally stand back up, only to stagger, the hand that he raised to wipe at his nose coming back bloody.” Huh.”

“Not the worst I’ve given you.” Taehyung muttered, which made Yoongi growl lowly.

What surprised everyone in the hut however, was the way the young alpha who had barely stepped inside gave a snarl in response.

“Oh dear…” Seokjin muttered to himself, ready to watch a fight unfold…