Chapter 8

The Sun Is Blue.

Chapter 8

 

When I was done with class, I heard my phone buzzed in my pocket.

 

Penguin Mina sent you a message.

 

A small smile grazed my lips as I unlocked my phone.

 

From: Penguin Mina

 

I think I’ll be a little late. You can go on ahead.

 

Penguin Emoji. I giggled, she really does look like an cute penguin sometimes. Then, sometimes, she’ll have strength strong enough to break a man’s arm. Sometimes, she’ll have a freaking gun in her car’s compartment with blood stains all over it.

 

I suppressed a shiver.

 

No, My Mina is an angel, have you seen that adorable gummy smile?

 

Last night, when Mina finally dropped me off, I thought of possible scenarios that might explain the gun. In the end, I forced myself to think that the gun was obviously fake. It’s a toy gun that her little brother left inside the car. (I’m not even sure if she has a little brother). And then the blood, it’s not really blood, despite the rusty smell it left my hand when it stained my fingers. It’s ketchup. I know how Mina likes her ketchup. She was probably eating when she saw the toy gun and then just carelessly put in inside her compartment to give it back to her brother.

 

I know the idea was far-fetched but I figured that was better than thinking the person I liked for the very first time is a freaking murderer.

 

No! I shook my head to myself. Bad thoughts, go away!

 

I replied, told her that It’s alright, I’ll see her soon then made my way out of the classroom.

 

“Chaeyoung.” I turned and saw Dahyun leaning against the wall.

 

The hallway was already empty, most of the students were probably in the cafeteria or outside.

 

“What’s up?” I asked as I made my way towards her. She looked horrible. Her normally shiny brown locks were lackluster and unbrushed. Her normally bright pale skin looked more ashy and there was big bags under her eyes.

 

Before I knew it, my wrist was grabbed and I was pushed against the wall. I winced in pain and looked up to stare at her. She was glaring at me.

 

“Do you like Mina?” She asked. I stared at her, fear deep within my stomach, creating knots.

 

“I-” I stuttered, my breath escaping me as I saw the glinting knife on her other hand.

 

“Do you know what I had been experiencing all my life?” She laughed bitterly to herself. She stared at me, dead, empty eyes increasing my fear. I winced when I felt her hand on my wrist tighten.

 

“Of course, you don’t; because all you guys know about me, Dahyun, is the energetic carefree girl without any problems.” She said. “I guess you also don’t know that I was being ually-abused by my uncle when I was six until I was twelve. You don’t know of course, because you’re Son Chaeyoung. The perfect girl with the most sunniest disposition I know.” She looked down and I gulped as she moved the knife closer to me.

 

“Why did I believe that you would be the one to pull me up away from the darkness? Why did your smiles and laughs healed the scars inside of me? Why did I fell in love with you?” Suddenly, tears fell down her cheeks. I used my other hand to try and touch her cheek.

 

“Don’t touch me.” She said coldly. “You were the only reason I was alive today.” She said those words softly. “Now, I don’t have any reason to live. I rather die than drown in the darkness inside of me.” My eyes widened, my other hand ready to steal the knife from her hand. She’s going to kill herself. Before I could do so, someone tackled her causing her to let me go. Her knife fell on the floor.

 

I quickly stood up and saw Mina choking Dahyun. A strangled cough was released from Dahyun’s mouth as I quickly gripped Mina’s arm.

 

“Mina! Stop it!” I exclaimed, trying to pull Mina away. I stared in horror as Dahyun’s feet were raised from the air. I felt Dahyun’s eyes slowly rolled back from her eyelids.

 

“Mina!” The Adrenaline I felt caused me to pull Mina away, causing her to lose her balance. She let go of Dahyun. Dahyun choked, hands gripped her neck as she fell down the floor.

 

Mina was breathing hard, and so was I. The force of my strength made me rip her oversized polo, exposing her left shoulder. I stared at the tattoo that adorned it, shocked. Different colors adorned the dragon, with the green dominating the rest. It was intricately drawn.

 

Dahyun stood up and ran away.

 

“Dahyun!” I called out. I turned to stare at Mina.

 

“Why did you do that?” I quietly said. Mina stared at me, guilt all over her face.

 

“I didn’t- I-” She looked down, a tear fell down her cheek. I unconsciously grazed my finger on her cheek. She looked vulnerable, weakly pulling up her shirt in order to hide the tattoo away from me.

 

“I didn’t know what came through me. All I know is that when I saw you being pushed into the wall, knife near your stomach, I lost control.” She said. She looked down.

 

“I just wanted to keep you safe.” She whispered, tears falling down her face now.

 

“If you didn’t stopped me, I would’ve-” She closed her eyes, and hid her face below behind her hands. A shiver ran down my spine when I heard what she said but I ignored the warning bells in my brain shouting: Don’t talk to her ever again; she’s dangerous!

 

I pulled her closer to me, hugging her. I kissed her wet cheek.

 

“Hot chocolate and apple pie?” I asked. After a few moments, I felt her nod.

 

------

We were on the same table, Mina was drinking her milkshake. (It was too hot outside to order hot chocolate.)

 

She seemed to have calmed down now. Yet I could still see her eyes filled with sadness.

 

“I like your tattoo.” I opened up a small talk.

 

She smiled, although it didn’t really reach her eyes. “Thanks.”

 

“It suits you, even though it doesn’t seem like something you’ll do. Why did you get it?” I asked.

She shifted her eyes to the right. “A bet. My friend back in Japan made a bet with me, I lost so I had to get this.” I nodded, not believing a word she said.

 

I didn’t care though, it’s strange. I knew she was blatantly lying, I could tell but I stopped caring. I should be scared of her yet I cannot help but still like this broken girl in front of me.

 

It’s weird yet I could feel myself being drawn to her.

 

“Listen, I’m sorry. I promise I’ll apologize to Dahyun when I had the chance. I’m really sorry.” Her hand clenched into a fist. I held both of my hands and forcefully let her hands relax by pulling her fingers away from her palm, making her palm up. I caressed it.

 

“I forgive you.” And I do. I wasn’t angry at her. I was a tad disappointed obviously. Still, I can’t seem to hate her or get angry at her.

 

Hell, I’m weird. Why do I feel like I am falling

-

-

-

-

 

In love with her?

 

I wanted to drown inside her dark brown eyes. I want to swim in the constellations of her porcelain skin. I realized, I love her.

 

I’m falling deeply in love with her.