Chapter 4

The Sun Is Blue.

Chapter 4

I wiped my eye with the back of my hand as I felt my phone vibrate from under my pillow. What time is it? I yawned as I reached out blindly in my bed, finally managing to get my phone. I peered and my eyes widened as I saw the notification. I quickly sat on the bed and unlocked my phone. 

From: Penguin Mina

Are you still awake? I’m bored. 

I quickly typed back my answer. 

To: Penguin Mina

Yep, still awake. What’s up? 

I glanced at the time on my phone and noticed that it was 3 o'clock in the morning.

To: Penguin Mina

Why are you still awake right now?

I added. I hit send and anxiously waited for her reply.

I yawned again, blinking sleepily. My phone vibrated again, causing me to unlock my phone.

From: Penguin Mina

Can I call you?

I froze, my eyes widening as I read the words. I answered, yes with a smiling emoticon, then cleared my throat.

After a few minutes, I heard my phone vibrate. I quickly dragged the button in the screen and answered.

“Hello?” I said, flinching at the still raspy voice that came out of my mouth. 

I heard a giggle from behind the line and felt my lips tug upwards. 

“I woke you up, didn’t I?” She asked. 

I bit my lip sheepishly. “Yep, It’s fine though. I’m already wide awake.” I said reassuringly.

“Wide awake enough to go out for hot chocolate with me?” She asked and I could feel her smile even from behind the line. 

“Wait, right now?” I asked, running a hand through my brown locks.

“Why not?” she said and I heard a distant sound of an engine.

“Are you outside?” I asked.

She hummed. “Yes, I’m in the car driving. Tell me where you are and I’ll pick you up.” She said. 

I bit my lip again. “I am in the school dormitory.” I said. 

“Okay, I’ll pick you up in five. See you.” She said then hang up the phone.

I stared at my phone in disbelief. Wait, wait, wait, wait! Is she actually serious? She’ll really see me right now? 

I quickly stood up to freshen myself, taking a plain gray shirt and jeans from my closet. I dressed as fast as I can, washed my face and brushed my teeth, all the while cursing to myself. I heard my phone vibrate again as I was busy combing my hair.

From: Penguin Mina

I’m outside. 

I cursed again, running as fast yet as quietly as I can out of my room. I went back again, grabbed my trusted leather jacket and wallet then finally made my way out. I glanced at the door leading to Nayeon’s room and tiptoed my way out of our dorm. 

The wave of cold air hit me as I opened the door. I shivered and wore my jacket. I looked around only to spot a silver sports car. I checked my phone again and was already typing to ask where  she is when I saw someone got out of the vehicle. Mina looked like she just got out of the runway. She was wearing a white shirt with Gucci written on it tucked in under a gray A-line skirt. A black cardigan with gold patterns were thrown carelessly on her shoulders. She smiled at me and waved and I suddenly felt self-conscious with my ratty shirt and worn-out leather jacket. 

I made my way towards her as I watched her go to the passenger’s part of the car. She opened it for me. 

“Thank you.” I said as I hesitantly entered the vehicle.

Her car is a freaking sports car. I know it should’ve made sense considering her sense of fashion is a little bit too extreme price-tag wise but I still can’t help my eyes to look around in wonder. I heard the sound of the door closing making me look at the driver’s seat only to meet her eyes. I could once again smell her vanilla perfume by the time she entered.  A lock of hair covered a part of her right eye. I had the urge to fix it for her. 

Before I knew it, I saw her hand darted towards me. Her fingers lightly grazed my cheek before she put a lock of my hair behind my ear. 

“Your hair is messy.” She said before flashing me a slight smile. I looked down, feeling the warmth on my cheeks. 

“So..” I trailed off, watching her as she turned the ignition. She hummed to show that she’s listening as she flawlessly started driving.

“What are you doing outside so late?” I asked. I saw her lips tilt up. 

“Just had something I need to do. I figured we can get to know each other more since I have nothing to do anyways.” She explained vaguely.

“You have nothing to do? Just a suggestion; sleep.” I said with a teasing smile. She laughed at my statement.

“You’re right, but the thing is I can’t sleep so I figured I’ll just call you.” She said.

I bit my lip, feeling giddy that I was the first person that entered her mind for someone to talk to despite the fact that we just pretty much met a few hours ago.

“So where are we going?” I asked her as I saw her relax on her seat.

“I don’t really know.” She said. 

We ended up going to a small Cafe a few blocks from my dorm. I got out of the car and waited for her. When she got out, her cardigan was finally properly worn and much to my disappointment, she had already fixed her hair. 

We ran towards the entrance of the diner, feeling cold from the early morning breeze. Inside the diner, there were barely any customers aside from a police officer probably on break and young man wearing a hoodie that hid his whole face. She once again smiled at me, her gummy smile making me melt at how adorable she is. She stood out from the place, her looks fitting five star hotels rather than an old Cafe. The plain walls only emphasized her glamorous looks. 

We chose the long table in the corner that was facing the walls. We sat next to each other. She was so close that I could feel our thighs touch. An old and tired-looking server approached us, asking for our orders. We ordered our hot chocolates, and a plate of apple pie to share. 

She stretched and yawned. 

“See, you’re sleepy.” I said. I built up my courage and slowly let my hand touch her clothed back, rubbing it gently. I felt her leaned into my touch, her lip quirking up a little into a smile. 

“I don’t know. I guess you have that power of making me fall asleep.” She said, smiling up at me. 

“Is it because I’m a boring companion?” I asked. 

“Maybe.” She said. I frowned at her which made her giggle. 

“No, just kidding. You just calm me for some weird reason.” She said. 

“When you go home, make sure to sleep properly, okay?” I said. “What time is your first class?” I asked.

“After lunch I think?” She said. The server came back with our orders. There were the hot chocolate that looked appetizing and a plate of apple pie with only one fork.

I turned to her. “Are you sensitive with sharing your things?” I asked, still eyeing the single spoon. She shrugged. “Not if it’s with you.” She said. I felt myself blushed. 

“You weren’t from Seoul?” She asked before she took a sip of her drink, probably referring to the fact that I live in a school dormitory.

“No, I am from Seoul but my house is a two-hour drive from here and I don’t really want to experience driving for over four hours. Not to mention, I don’t even have a car.” I said. 

She nodded. “I see. You don’t miss your parents?” She asked. I shook my head. 

“I mean, I guess a bit? But I see them every like, two weeks. I’m used to it since I’m already studying here for two years.” I said. I saw her get the fork and started cutting the pie. I bit my lip. Should I use the same fork she used? It’s no big deal right? I looked around for the server but for some reason, she seemed to be busy doing something. 

“How about you? You’re not from here, right?” I asked. She shook her head no with a slight smile on her face. She then tilted the fork with the pie towards me.

“Eat.” She said as she moved the fork closer. 

“Wait,” but before I could protest further, the pie was already touching my lips. She looked at me expectantly and I had no choice but to open my mouth. 

The pie was delicious, I had to admit. I chewed as I stare at her. She seemed satisfied with my obedience, the slight smile she had widening a little bit. 

“Where are you from?” I asked, noticing that she didn’t answered my question. To my embarrassment, I saw her used the same fork to give herself a bite. She hummed in satisfaction, her lower lip. My eyes darted down her lips, noticing how doll-like it looked and that freaking mole underneath it..

I quickly looked away.

“This is delicious.” I looked at her again as her eyes stared straight into mine. I swear her lips just tilted up into a smirk before it returned to the same innocent gummy smile I am slowly getting used to.

“And to answer your question, yes I’m not from around here. I’m Japanese and I’m only here to finish my course then I’ll go back to Japan.” She took another bite of the pie. 

“This is a nice adventure. I didn’t even know there’s a Cafe here that makes the best apple pie I’ve ever tasted.” She commented. 

I smiled at her. She cut a part of the pie and once again fed it to me. This time I let her without hesitating. She seemed to really like it when I comply easily and I cannot help but feel like I want to do everything she wants me to as long as I can please her.

We talked again for a long time. It felt like time flew by in a blur. She was funny and surprisingly dorky and I enjoyed every moment of it.

When she dropped me off to our dorm, it was almost 6 o'clock in  the morning. I didn’t get enough sleep because of her.

 I also overslept and missed my morning classes but I am honestly not angry about it. I realized that as long as I can hang out with her, it’s all fine.

I fixed my shirt, dabbing the concealer to hide my eyebags. I then ran towards our university for the lunch break. I hoped she’ll show up to meet my friends like she promised but I get it if she didn’t because I knew she didn’t get enough sleep last night. It would still be disappointing though because I look forward to seeing her again. 

I made my way towards our usual place and a grin made its way to my face when I saw her familiar back. She turned and everything was perfect.