Eight

I Fell In Love With A Cat Demon

“So...you’re the himself.” Taekwoon gulped. He took a few steps back. “What do you want from me.”

Shinjoon did not reply immediately. He sighed and turned slightly, shifting his gaze into the distance. “Didn’t expect that Hakyeon really ignored my warnings and kept you in here,” he shrugged. “And can’t believe that if I hadn’t tagged you that day I wouldn’t even have found out about it.”

“Tag…?” Taekwoon narrowed his eyes. “You’ve been…monitoring me?”

“I monitor all the cats on campus. Nothing alarming.” Shinjoon cast him a scornful look. “What’s alarming was how your location data hadn’t changed in weeks. How you didn’t seem to be moving around. Not something a typical cat would do even if it was injured.”

“Well did I have a choice? He imprisoned me here.”

“If you wanted nothing to do with him you would have long escaped.” Shinjoon pointed to the window grill. “These bars aren’t something you can’t squeeze out from.”

“Was that why you’re convinced I’m a demon.” Taekwoon resisted the strong urge to roll his eyes. “Because the only reason I’m staying by his side is so that I can torment him all day. Because apart from being a creature of menace there’s nothing else a cat can be.” He slapped his tail against the tabletop in annoyance. “Call yourself the ing president.”

“It’s not that.” Shinjoon adjusted his glasses and stared at the cat intently. “The day Hakyeon brought you to me was the same day I realised that another cat spirit has appeared in campus.”

“You’re referring...to me?” Taekwoon scoffed. “I ain’t any demon or spirit.”

“Well I can sense it. That just like Sanghyuk you’re different from the rest of the cats around here. That you don’t have a spirit of mere animal. But the spirit of a cat demon.”

“Wow. Smart aleck,” Taekwoon replied coldly. “And you’re gonna tell me next that you’re also different from the rest of the humans. Because apparently only you have the magical senses to recognise what I am.”

“I do. I’ve been protecting demons like you my whole life. There’s no way I’m unable to tell you apart from the rest.”

“Huh, protect. Sure.”

“I only protect those with no ill intent.” Shinjoon raised his eyebrows and leant towards Taekwoon, peering right into his eyes. “As for those who mean harm…I won’t let any of them off.”

“If you were really that powerful, you wouldn’t have mistaken me for something I’m not.”

Shinjoon cackled. “I’ve been doing this my whole life. But meeting a demon who isn’t even aware he’s one? It’s still a first.”

“If your definition of a cat demon is one who’s been forcefully transformed from a poor, unsuspecting human, maybe I’ll consider taking you seriously.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Exactly my point,” Taekwoon sneered. “Other than the fact that you can communicate with cats I don’t see how you’re of any ing use to me and my situation.”

“Well if you truly aren’t a demon why were you talking about reverting to human form?” Shinjoon raised his eyebrows. “Only demons with enough cultivation are able to transform themselves into human form.”

“I don’t know what ing cultivation you’re talking about.”

Shinjoon frowned. “Don’t tell me you aren’t even aware that you’re already of enough cultivation. To transform into human, I mean.”

“Wait.” Taekwoon sat up. “You mean I can actually go back to being human?”

“What do you mean ‘back’? You’re a cat spirit to begin with. The human form is just a privilege.”

Taekwoon scowled in frustration. “For the last time, I am not a ing demon or spirit. But if you could enlighten me on how I can change myself into a human I’d be ing grateful.”

Shinjoon folded his arms, absorbed in thought.

“Are you telling me or not.”

“If you don’t even know how to transform yourself,” he began quietly. “It’s indeed quite strange.”

“Well took you long enough to realise that.”

“If you really insist that you aren’t a demon,” Shinjoon chose his words carefully, “then what do you think you are?”

“I said it already,” Taekwoon spat. “Used to be human. Like you. Except that one day I woke up and became the cat I am now.”

“I don’t think that’s possible.”

“If it happened to you you wouldn’t be saying that,” Taekwoon rolled his eyes. “I don’t know how else I can convince you.”

“Well I don’t know if I should be giving you the benefit of doubt right now, Ash,” Shinjoon replied quietly. “But there actually is a way to convince me.”

 

***********

 

Hakyeon yawned. Plays bored him to the core. If it wasn’t for Jaehwan and Wonshik, he wouldn’t have turned up.

“Get your together,” Jaehwan scowled. He passed Hakyeon some chips, but Hakyeon shook his head.

“Why did I even agree to this,” he frowned. His eyes were fixed dazedly on the stage like a camera out of focus. “I wanna go back. My cat’s gonna be lonely.”

“I don’t think that cat of yours actually requires any bit of your company,” Wonshik laughed. “If there’s anything that can’t survive being away from its owner, it’s our doggies.”

Jaehwan sniggered. “And if we can leave our dogs at home I don’t see why you can’t do the same.”

Hakyeon wanted to say something, but he suddenly noticed a dark silhouette seated in the far corner, and it diverted his attention instantaneously.

“Hey look.” He sat up agitatedly, slapping Jaehwan and Wonshik excitedly on their shoulders. “Isn’t that Hongbin?” He pointed to the figure a few rows away from them.

“Looks like it,” Jaehwan shrugged with disinterest.

“Well looks like someone has a reason to stay now,” Wonshik chuckled softly.

“That’s not necessarily a good thing, Wonshik. What if Hakyeon does something to embarrass us again?” Jaehwan rolled his eyes.

Hakyeon shook his head. “Don’t worry. I won’t do anything stupid.” He lowered his gaze. “Don’t think Hongbin wants to talk to me anyway. Especially after what happened the last time.”

Jaehwan smirked. “Good boy.”

“But don’t you think it’s weird?” Hakyeon continued. “To think that a mysterious man like him actually has watches plays.”

“It’s called having a life.”

“Well he didn’t look like he had any life outside of school,” Hakyeon shrugged. “And it’s so weird that he’s here alone.” He motioned to the empty seats around Hongbin.

“Why, you wanna join him?” Wonshik raised his eyebrow. “You said you won’t do anything stupid.”

“Nahhh,” Hakyeon sighed. He brushed the food crumbs off his jeans and stood up, gesturing for Wonshik to let him pass.

“Hey. What are you doing.” Wonshik eyed him worriedly. “Don’t tell me you’re really going over.”

Hakyeon shook his head. “I'm going home.”

Jaehwan sat up immediately, and Wonshik reached out to block his path. “Are you serious right now.”

“No.” Hakyeon pushed Wonshik's arm away, then eyed his friends with a defenseless look. “I need the toilet.”

 

***********

 

“There is a way??” Taekwoon sat up excitedly. “What is it!”

Shinjoon shrugged. “You need to tell me who you were.” He reached into his pocket for his phone. “If I can find you through social media and the pictures match, I’ll believe you.”

“Match what??”

“Match what I see right now,” Shinjoon glanced briefly at Taekwoon, then looked back down at his screen as he keyed in some stuff with his fingers. “I can tell what you look like in your human form. Even if you haven’t yet transformed into that.”

“Wait so you mean you could see me all this time!”

Shinjoon shrugged. “How else did you think you appeared different from the other cats.”

“So it’s a demon thing?”

Shinjoon nodded.

“No wait.” Taekwoon cocked his head in doubt. “So you mean demons can’t turn into humans and start messing around with technology? Like create Facebook accounts or something. You know, like a normal human being?”

“They can, but it’s not about that,” Shinjoon rolled his eyes, looking up from the screen briefly. “I’m doing this on the assumption that you’ve never once utilised your human appearance. So if I can find photos of you in that form, that’s in your favour. Helps to prove whatever you’ve been trying to prove.”

“That’s good. Just didn’t want you to start accusing me. That I’d set up my social media previously as a demon in disguise or something.”

Shinjoon frowned. “If you were truly a demon you would have already admitted it. No need for us to waste each other’s time like that,” he replied coldly. “That’s why I’ve been trying to give you the benefit of doubt.” He raised his eyebrows and offered Taekwoon a dark grin. “But if you don’t want my help I’m fine with it.”

Taekwoon sneered. “I obviously want to prove your demon theories wrong.”

Shinjoon nodded, glancing back at his phone. “If that’s the case, tell me your name please.” He had opened the search engine and keyboard. “I’ll look you up right n-”

“Nahh.” Taekwoon reached through the window and rested his paw in the middle of the phone screen, effectively blocking it. “There’s a faster way. The evidence’s right in front of you.”

“What?” Shinjoon frowned. "What do you mean?"

Taekwoon smirked. He walked over to the side of the window. He reached out and extended his claws, then ripped down one of Hakyeon’s posters – posters that Shinjoon couldn’t have seen from outside – and shoved the crumpled mess through the window. “That’s me already.”

“Did- did you just do that...with your paws.” Shinjoon took the paper from the cat with a stunned expression on his face, then eyed the item curiously. As he slowly unravelled the poster, Hakyeon’s distraught face flashed across Taekwoon’s mind for a moment, but Taekwoon shrugged it off anyway. Because nothing was more important than proving himself right now.

“So?? What do you think??” He watched eagerly for Shinjoon’s response, tapping his paws impatiently against the tabletop.

Shinjoon’s eyes widened and he bit his lips, shifting his gaze back and forth between Taekwoon and the man printed on the sheet of paper.

“It really is you.” His voice was shaky as he slowly studied the poster. “Jung…Taekwoon?”