Fifteen

I Fell In Love With A Cat Demon

Hakyeon opened his mouth, but he couldn’t voice anything. Hongbin had rendered him completely speechless.

“I screamed and yelled, Hakyeon. I ran and ran, then took a bus and went back home. I locked myself in my room for days. I didn’t go for classes. I didn’t return to the hostel. I was just huddled up in a small corner, shuddering and quivering at the thought of what the man I loved really was.”

Hakyeon silently observed Hongbin’s agonised expression. If Hongbin was really pulling his leg, he had incredible acting potential – potential that Hakyeon hadn’t been aware of for his whole life.

“But then I found myself gradually coming to terms with it,” Hongbin continued, sniffling softly, eyeing Hakyeon through his watery vision. “I decided that I didn’t care what Sanghyuk was. If I loved my cat, if I loved my best friend, Hakyeon, it wouldn’t matter if they were the same person.”

“But that means Sanghyuk wasn’t human.” Those were Hakyeon’s first words in a long time. And they were cold to the ears.

Taekwoon felt his heart drop. A frown formed across his brows, his fingers gripping so tightly against the edge of the pillar, they were beginning to turn white.

“It doesn’t matter, Hakyeon,” Hongbin shook his head. “Nothing mattered as long as I’d finally sorted out my thinking. And I knew Sanghyuk would be elated to see that.”

Hakyeon narrowed his eyes in continual doubt. “Okay. S-so what happened next.”

“I’d decided find him. To tell him how I felt.” Hongbin lowered his eyes, his gaze clouded with anguish. “But I was too late.” He lifted his hands and pulled disgruntledly at his hair. “I shouldn’t have kept him waiting.”

“What happened…?”

“He took his own life.”

“Wh-”

“I returned to my dorm to see my cat lying lifelessly on my bed,” he choked. “There was blood everywhere.”

Hakyeon gulped.

“I wanted to tell him that I’d love him no matter what, Hakyeon,” Hongbin continued through a broken voice. “But…” He slumped back in his chair with the look of absolute defeat. “But…he’ll never live to hear it.”

From behind the pillar, Taekwoon gingerly turned to look at Shinjoon.

“Looks like you made a mistake,” he whispered, jabbing a finger at Shinjoon’s side. “He really loved Sanghyuk.” He glanced at Shinjoon for a response, but Shinjoon stared on at the pair distractedly, as though he hadn’t heard.

Hakyeon bit his lip with uneasiness. Hongbin’s red, watery eyes were too much for him to look at. Perhaps he never knew Hongbin was capable of such grief. He felt like crying too. But he wouldn’t. He wouldn’t because no matter how convincing Hongbin’s story was he wasn’t going to believe it.

“I’m sorry about your loss,” he managed to utter.

Hongbin lowered his gaze, falling silent momentarily. “It was as though the whole world came crashing down on me, Hakyeon. I locked myself in the room crying for weeks. It didn’t help that Shinjoon long knew about Sanghyuk’s identity. Nor the fact that before he died he'd told Shinjoon everything. Including…including how he was tired of being a lowly, monstrous being that deserved nothing like love.”

“Well, I didn’t know he’d end up taking his own life,” Shinjoon added quietly. “If I did I would’ve done anything to stop him.” He glanced briefly at Taekwoon. “I was supposed to protect demons, but I failed. Terribly.”

Hongbin wiped his face, then sighed and looked back up at Hakyeon.

“Everything affected me so much, I decided I was done with it,” he continued. “I was done with cats. I was done with the club. I wanted zero association with any of these things. So I packed my things and left.”

Hakyeon bit his lip. “And nobody stopped you…?”

“Nobody was going to stop me. They wanted a reason, but I never gave them any. In order to protect Sanghyuk’s identity I never breathed a word about him ever again. Not even Shinjoon knew that Sanghyuk’s feelings were actually returned. I was too ashamed to face up to it, to face up to the truth that no longer mattered because Sanghyuk was already gone.”

Hakyeon kept silent. If the only way out was for Hongbin to leave everything behind – including his love for cats – the misery and grief he’d been through must have been something far beyond what he could ever imagine. And he didn’t think Hongbin could feign it.

“From the moment I decided to leave…” Hongbin sank back in his chair. “I swore I wouldn’t go near anything like cats ever again.” He looked at Hakyeon. “And that’s why I’d never rejoin the club. Not in a million years.”

Hakyeon sat up. “But you’d been feeding the cats on your own…”

Hongbin lowered his gaze. “That’s another story.”

“What do you mean…?”

“As time passed, I realised that deep down within me, the qualities of a cat lover were something that had not, and would not, disappear for good.” He let out a small sigh. “It runs in my veins. And I’ll never stop caring. And that means if I knew the cats were being mistreated, I would nonetheless not hesitate to interfere.”

Hakyeon peered at Hongbin curiously. “What do you mean mistreated?”

Hongbin shrugged. “I’m not very certain, too.”

“You saw something?” Hakyeon leant forward worriedly. “Are there sick people here who abuse the strays??”

“I don’t know,” Hongbin replied quietly. “I didn’t see it with my own eyes, but one night many months ago…I heard a blood-curdling cat scream, just outside my door. It sounded like a cry from being slaughtered. Not anything like one coming from a cat fight.”

Hakyeon blinked.

“Well.” Taekwoon muttered quietly, tugging at Shinjoon’s sleeve. “Why does that sound like the same night I’d first woken up in my stupid cat body.”

Hongbin shrugged. “It bothered me to hear that,” he continued. “So ever since then I began keeping watch on the cats. In case anyone was trying to hurt them.”

Hakyeon raised his eyebrows. “But…but the club hasn’t said anything about it.”

Hongbin nodded. “If the club knew anything, they were being pretty ineffective at catching the culprits.” He folded his arms. “And that’s why I began feeding the cats at separate timings. Wanted to make sure that the perpetrators didn’t have any chance to hurt these cats. Not under the club’s watch, and not under mine.”

“So did you find out anything?”

“No. And that was why it was strange.” He frowned. “And what was even stranger was that the problem still persisted.”

Hakyeon blinked. “Persisted?”

Hongbin nodded. “A few months had passed since then, but one day I heard another scream. Again. It sounded nearly identical. But when I checked, all the cats seeemed to be perfectly fine. And it was strange. It was strange because I couldn’t figure out why I kept hearing such agonising screams.”

Taekwoon sneered softly. “Well that was just me when Hakyeon pelted me with a piece of ing rock.” He reached behind and the wound on his back. “And of course you couldn’t find the injured cat. Because the injured cat was being imprisoned in someone else’s ing room.” He rolled his eyes and glanced at Shinjoon, but Shinjoon only returned him a half-hearted smirk.

“But either way,” Hongbin sighed, “as long as there weren’t cats being hurt, I guess it’s nothing to be alarmed about. And if that’s the case...” He eyed Hakyeon intently, a dark look clouding his pupils. “Shall we move on to the real purpose of the discussion?”

Hakyeon narrowed his eyes, feeling dread creep up his spine. “W-what…do you mean?” He knew exactly what Hongbin meant. And he really didn’t want to hear it.

“Shinjoon wasn’t lying. I said it. Your cat – Shadow – he’s a cat demon.”

“And so?”

“And I don’t want to see you repeating my mistakes.”

Hakyeon raised his palms to his ears. “Stop. Please.”

“I told you that it’s possible for owners to fall in love with their pets.” Hongbin’s voice was firm. “From the looks of it I can assure you that this is the case for you.”

“No it isn’t. I meant that as a joke. Why are you taking it so seriously.”

Hongbin reached out and pulled Hakyeon’s hands away from his ears. “Listen-”

“No.”

“Your cat. It’s no ordinary cat. It’s a demon, Hakyeon. And I need you to know that you have to treasure all that you have right now. Because when you lose it all overnight you’d only be living with remorse and regret for your whole life.” Hongbin lowered his voice. “…Like me.”

Hakyeon shook his head. “Your cat could turn into human. Mine can’t.”

Taekwoon’s eyebrows shot up. He looked back at Shinjoon, who shook his head and gestured for him to listen on.

“Maybe you just haven’t met him.” Hongbin bit his lip vexedly. “Or maybe you have, but you don’t know it’s him.”

“Well, if that’s the case I’d like to see what the heck he looks like as a human.” Hakyeon folded his arms and subtly gestured to Hongbin and the posters on the table. “Maybe if he resembled someone like you or Taekwoon I’d consider giving him a chance.”

Taekwoon glanced at Shinjoon. “Well that’s oddly specific.”

“Enough of spite, Hakyeon.” Hongbin shook his head. “You-”

“Your best friend could pass off as a student,” Hakyeon shrugged nonchalantly. “But what if my cat turned out to be some 92-year-old hag?”

“Hakyeon…”

“It’s not that I don’t believe you, Hongbin, but-”

“But what?”

“I need actual proof.”

“I-” Hongbin started, but gave up and clenched his fists silently.

“Well,” Taekwoon whispered quietly. He spun around and gave Shinjoon a knowing look. “I’m going to showing him the proof.” He took deep breath and turned back around, then stalked off in Hakyeon’s direction.

“What the hell are you doing…!” Shinjoon spat in a hushed voice. He reached out to pull Taekwoon back, but the human Taekwoon was taller and stronger and he found himself being dragged towards the two unsuspecting men at the corner table. “.”

There was a suddden interruption to the discussion, and Hakyeon and Hongbin turned at the same time to look.

“Oh. My. God.”

“Yes it’s me.” Those were Taekwoon’s first words to Hakyeon.

Hongbin’s eyebrows shot up and he gingerly lifted a finger towards Taekwoon. “Jung…Taekwoon…?”

“Yes,” Taekwoon repeated.

Hongbin shifted his gaze back and forth between Hakyeon and Taekwoon, then between Taekwoon and Shinjoon.

“What’s…going on,” he began. “And Shinjoon? What are you doing here…?” He glanced back at Hakyeon for a response, but Hakyeon’s eyes were dazedly fixed on Taekwoon, spellbound and completely in a trance.

“Hongbin.” Hakyeon uttered slowly. “Am I dreaming or what.”

“Well. You’re not,” Shinjoon admitted quietly, utterly defeated. Taekwoon had suddenly made their presence known and there was no turning back from now on.

“What’s going on??” Hongbin repeated. He peered curiously at Shinjoon, begging for an answer.

Shinjoon shrugged and motioned to Taekwoon. “Let him explain.”

“Let’s settle this first.” Taekwoon held his fingers before Hakyeon’s eyes and snapped him awake. “How long are you gonna stare.”

“W-what??”

“I appreciate the earnest adoration in your eyes, Hakyeon, but after you’ve heard what I’ve got to say…you’d probably never look at me in the same way again,” Taekwoon mumbled. “So it’d be great if you could save it for later.”

“How did you know my name-” Hakyeon’s mouth fell open. “And y-you’re really Taek-”

“I’m not just Taekwoon. I’m your cat. Ash. Shadow. Whatever.”

Hongbin blinked. “You heard our conv-”

“I did. We did.” Taekwoon motioned to Shinjoon. “And we’re here to tell you that I’m the living proof you all need.” He glanced at Hakyeon. “I am a cat demon.”

Hakyeon’s eyebrows shot up and he gingerly shook his head. “You…what?”

“I’m the cat you kept in your room, Hakyeon. The black cat you’d injured then forcefully kept by your side.”

Hongbin blinked, exchanging glances between Taekwoon and Shinjoon. Shinjoon bit his lip and returned Hongbin a silent nod.

“It’s not…possible.” Hakyeon frowned, beginning to back away. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“If not for the fact that we’re in the middle of the cafeteria I could turn into your cat in front of your very eyes and you’ll have no choice but to believe me.”

Hakyeon narrowed his eyes and shook his head. “T-then I’m not believing you.”

Taekwoon shrugged. “Okay.” He spun around suddenly, turning his back towards Hakyeon. He lifted up his top and pointed to the wound – almost already a scar – on his back. “Does this look like the exact wound you’d caused on your black ing cat.”

Hakyeon’s eyes widened, but he kept silent. He bit his lip, taking in what he saw before his eyes. The scars looked dreadingly identical, but he wasn’t going to believe any of this bull.

“It’s me, Hakyeon. Your cat.”

“N-no way.”

“Look closer-”

“No. Shinjoon’d treated Shadow. O-of course he’d know what the wound looks like,” Hakyeon began. He pointed to both Taekwoon and Shinjoon. “I don’t know why the you’re doing this, but I’m pretty sure you’re in cahoots with each other.”

“Hak-”

“You too,” Hakyeon cut in curtly, glaring at Hongbin. “I don’t get why you think this is a funny prank, but I-I’m not falling for it.”

Hongbin shook his head furiously. “It’s not a prank-”

“Enough. Please.” Hakyeon shot him a scowl. “I know I’m a big fan of Taekwoon but getting him to appear here isn’t going to make me forgive you for this.”

“No, wait.” Hongbin eyed Hakyeon cautiously. “Maybe they’re right. Your cat…this is his human form…??”

“No ing way.” Hakyeon shook his head.

“Hakyeon.” Taekwoon took a few steps forward and grabbed him by the shoulders. “I know you find this a little too sudden, but I wouldn’t have come forward if not for what Hongbin’d said.” He peered straight into Hakyeon’s frightened eyes. “You like me. I know you do.”

“I-”

“I had my reservations as a ing monster, but if the feelings are mutual I believe we can make it work.” He looked expectantly at Hakyeon. “Just like Hongbin and Sanghyuk.”

“You-” Hakyeon scowled, repeatedly peeling Taekwoon’s fingers away from his shoulders, but against Taekwoon’s immense grip, he was powerless. “You’re not Jung Taekwoon. Get your hands off me…!”

“I am. Do we not look the same??” Taekwoon released one hand and reached for the posters on the table, then shoved them in Hakyeon’s face. “You told me you liked my works, Hakyeon. You loved my music. You’d play it anywhere. In the shower. When you studied. Before you slept.” He cocked his head. “And I know it because I am your ing cat.”

From the side, Hongbin and Shinjoon looked on helplessly. It was a scene too reminiscent of something, and Hongbin could almost feel blood slowly seeping from the wound in his heart – the wound that’d never closed.

“You talk about me day and night, Hakyeon,” Taekwoon continued. “As though I’m the man of your dreams.”

“You- no. It can’t be.” Hakyeon retreated further until his heels hit the wall. “The man of my dreams isn’t like that.” He backed himself up against the glass window.

“Isn’t like a freak, right?” Taekwoon pressed on. “Well did you think I lived my whole life like that? The artist that you knew, Hakyeon, he was completely human. And if not for that fateful night I was turned into this beastly thing, I wouldn’t have become a stupid ing cat in your school, and got injured by a stupid ing rock out of nowhere.”

Hakyeon blinked. “I-I don’t know what you’re talking about.” He narrowed his eyes at Taekwoon – a face so familiar he’d seen it a million times, yet one whose very presence was incredibly perturbing. “S-so are you…demon or human.”

Taekwoon lowered his gaze and fell silent. “I don’t know.”

“Then don’t expect me to beli-”

“Listen. Hakyeon. I know you find everything inconceiveable right now, but it is true that I was once just like you. And maybe if you put all our differences aside you’ll realise that I’m nevertheless still the same man you used to adore with all your heart.”

Hakyeon shook his head, finally mustering the strength to shrug off Taekwoon’s grip. “D-Don’t come closer.”

“You-”

“I said. Don’t.”

“You’re scared, aren’t you…?”

Hakyeon glared on at Taekwoon, his lips quivering slightly. “Stop. Please.”

Taekwoon eyed Hakyeon’s disconcerted gaze – the dreaded look of fear in his eyes – and felt his heart slowly sink. He took a small step back, lowering his gaze.

“In the end,” he said quietly. “I’m still bounded by this gruesome identity of mine that I’d never asked for.” He pulled away from Hakyeon and took a deep breath, then shut his eyes. “If only I knew who landed me in this state,” he cursed under his breath. “I’ll never let him off.” He clenched his fists and landed a punch on the table.

There was an unsettling silence.

“Actually, Taekwoon…” Shinjoon spoke for the first time in a while, his voice quiet. “I hope you will.”

In an instant, all eyes were on him, but Shinjoon kept his wary gaze fixed on Taekwoon.

“…Because the person responsible for what you’re now, Taekwoon,” he continued, voicing his words slowly and carefully, “he’s…he’s right here with us.”