Five

I Fell In Love With A Cat Demon

“I don’t get it. I don’t get it. I really don’t,” Hakyeon stuck his fingers into his hair, ruffling it in vexation. “So if I wasn’t a member of the club his response would’ve been different?”

“If you could stop pacing around the ing room that’d be great.” Taekwoon was perched at the edge of Hakyeon's bed, slapping his tail forcefully against the bed sheets in annoyance. He wanted to clench his fists, but he was a cat and he didn’t have any. Perhaps biting his tongue was the next best option.

Jaehwan looked at Wonshik, and Wonshik stared back at Jaehwan.

“You tell him,” Wonshik said.

“No, you do it.”

“Ugh, fine,” Wonshik groaned.

“Tell me what,” Hakyeon rolled his eyes.

“Well it's pretty evident that Hongbin’s lips are sealed and he ain’t planning to disclose anytime soon,” Wonshik said matter-of-factly. “Not to you, not to anyone else. Club member or not.”

“Okay, well- fine. But I’m more disappointed that all along he’d just been treating me as a club representative,” Hakyeon frowned. “He doesn’t see me as a separate individual. He believes I’m asking him back because the club wanted that.”

“Well wasn’t that the plan,” Jaehwan replied. He picked up a piece of cotton string and held it teasingly in front of the cat, expecting some response. “Approaching him in the name of the club. Because someone was too cowardly to face up to his feelings.”

“But I thought he’d begun seeing me as a friend,” Hakyeon retorted. “Did you know? That day at the laun-”

“Ow!” Jaehwan scowled. He rubbed his wrist in pain, then threw the cat a dirty look. “Your cat’s anything but friendly.”

“Well keep your ing hands to yourself,” Taekwoon rolled his eyes. “Tickling my nose with a piece of stupid string? Did you really think I was your tool for amusement.” He retracted his claws, a weapon he’d grown to like using.

“This is why dogs are always better,” Wonshik added quietly.

“Focus, please,” Hakyeon rolled his eyes.

“Well,” Jaehwan continued, tossing the string somewhere else. He shifted his attention back onto Hakyeon. “I think it’s great that this Hongbin dude doesn’t seem to see you beyond that. Now that you know…He’s not the one for you.”

“Ouch,” Taekwoon whispered.

There was a short silence. Wonshik raised his eyebrows knowingly.

“Party pooper,” Hakyeon pouted.

“It’s called keeping your sense of realism in check.”

“Yeah,” Wonshik added. “Your obsession with him was beginning to turn unhealthy anyway. You were so blinded, you got misled into thinking that Shinjoon must have been the bad guy and Hongbin must have been the victim. And anything else was bull.”

“It’s called having a fertile imagination, Wonshik, what do you know,” Jaehwan chuckled. “I mean, just look at those legs.” He bent down and jabbed his finger into Hakyeon’s prominent calf muscles. “They’re made for jumping into conclusions.”

“I-” Hakyeon began. He kicked Jaehwan’s hand away. “It’s not like that.”

“Huh,” Wonshik scoffed. “You looked Hongbin up out of nowhere and got all the facts wrong. Must have thought the first time wasn’t embarrassing enough.”

“Pretty impulsive indeed,” Jaehwan added.

“But you can’t blame it all on me,” Hakyeon fired back. “All of Hongbin’s actions were pretty suggestive of something. He looked like he was really out to spite. Fed the cats weird food and avoided all our timings. Don’t know what he’ll be up to next. Maybe establish a separate cat feeding club or something.” He sat up agitatedly, his eyes lit with indignance. “Aren’t you all just even a bit curious about his behaviour?? He’s…worrying me.”

Jaehwan shrugged. “Don’t think it’s any of our business to interfere,” he yawned. “Not like being worried will bring you answers you want anyway. Till this day no one knows what the happened back then.” He let his voice drop to a low whisper. “And after all this effort and you’re still back to square one.”

“I-” Hakyeon began. “I’m just curious.”

“And then kickstarted a whole series of events that could have been avoided if you kept your curiosity at bay,” Wonshik raised his eyebrow. He pointed to the cat. “Like the wound on his back.”

“Yeah you- I mean, meow.” Taekwoon rolled his eyes and sat up. A dull pain shot through his back from the sudden action, and he winced in pain.

“See,” Jaehwan laughed.

“What’s so funny,” Taekwoon spat. “If he’d just taken my ing life there and then I wouldn’t be suffering now. Curiosity’s supposed to kill the ing cat.”

"I..." Hakyeon bit his lip. He knew it was his fault. It all began with him. But he didn’t mean for things to happen this way. He meant well for Hongbin. He meant well for the club. But it seemed like he did need to be a little less reckless. 

“So now that things have come to this," he shrugged and glanced at his friends. "What do I do now.”

Wonshik raised his eyebrow and looked at the clock. “Order dinner of course. We haven’t been here offering our advice for nothing.”

Taekwoon’s ears perked up. Finally an interesting topic.

 

***********

 

“He’s eyeing your food.” Jaehwan motioned to Hakyeon.

“I know.”

“Aren’t you gonna give him some.”

Hakyeon scowled. “Cats can’t eat pasta.”

Taekwoon scoffed. “Why don’t I prove you wrong.”

“Just a ‘lil bit won’t hurt,” Wonshik prompted. “Look at this poor thing.”

“Well I don’t see you giving your dogs any,” Hakyeon rolled his eyes.

“It’s different,” Jaehwan replied. He picked up a small piece of macaroni with his chopsticks and let it hover in front of Ash. “That’s because we don’t actually want them to die.”

“ you,” Hakyeon slapped his hand away before the cat could take a bite. “It’s just a small scratch, get over it.”

Taekwoon crept closer to Jaehwan. “If you could drop me a few pieces secretly I’ll forget that incident with you and your stupid string.”

Wonshik pointed to the cat. “I think it likes Jaehwan now.”

“I’m pretty sure it’s just trying to find a new reason to tear my skin apart.” Jaehwan picked up a few pieces of food and tossed them in front of the cat. “I’m sorry Hakyeon but I’m trying to save myself here.”

“Hey!” Hakyeon’s reflexes were quick, but Taekwoon was quicker. Hakyeon watched helplessly as the cat gobbled up the food in one bite.

“I’m holding you responsible if he gets sick.” He shot Jaehwan a dirty look.

“Lol, calm down,” Wonshik laughed. He reached out and gave the cat a few light on the head. “He’s a pretty unique cat. Won’t die so easily.”

“Well that’s ing unfortunate to hear,” Taekwoon scoffed. He wanted to prompt Wonshik or Jaehwan for more food, but he decided that it was gross to continue sharing a pair of chopsticks with other men.

“I agree,” Jaehwan added between mouthfuls of food. “He’s pretty special. First cat I’ve seen who doesn’t its balls.”

“Well I don’t mine for the same reason you don’t ing yours.”

“Of course.” Hakyeon’s eyebrows shot up. “Definitely more civilised than your dogs. Did you know? Ash didn’t even need toilet training.”

“Wait so you mean it poops in the toilet.” Wonshik sounded unconvinced. “Like us.”

“That’s not the most intelligent point yet, Wonshik,” Hakyeon leant forward eagerly, his eyes burning with excitement.

“He. Flushes.”

 

***********

 

And still, Hakyeon would discover that that wasn’t the most intelligent part about Ash yet.

And when he did, the cat’s life changed forever.

It began with the sound of turning keys behind Hakyeon’s door.

“I’m home kitty!” Hakyeon closed the door behind him.

He frowned. The cat wasn’t in the room, and there was the dreaded sound of water running.

“Oh .” Taekwoon poked his cat head out of the bath tub. “Why is he back so early. It’s not even 3 ing o’clock.” He was beginning to doubt the reliability of Hakyeon’s desk calendar.

Hakyeon gulped.

“Don’t tell me I’d left the tap open for the whole day,” he prayed, kicking open the bathroom door.

Only to lock eyes with the blotch of wet fur in his bath tub.

“What the hell are you doing.” His eyes widened with surprise as his mind tried to comprehend what he was seeing.

“Bathing, duh,” Taekwoon rolled his eyes. “You blind or what.”

Hakyeon’s mouth fell open. “Did I really leave the water running or does my cat actually know how to operate the shower system by himself.”

Taekwoon sneered. “I lost my looks, not my IQ.”

Hakyeon blinked twice and peered intently at his cat. He felt like he shouldn’t have been surprised. “So is this why you don’t ever your balls,” he began. “You prefer washing them.”

Taekwoon scowled. “Stop imposing your ideals of a cat on me just because I look like one.” He flipped himself over on his back so that he was floating on the water. “I live the life I want.”

Hakyeon walked over and squatted down beside the tub. “Didn’t know you liked water.” He reached into the tub and played around with the water for a bit, gazing at the cat in amazement. “Most cats groom themselves to keep their fur clean, but you’re one extraordinary kitty.”

“What.” Taekwoon shifted his gaze uncomfortably. “Why the are you staring. Would you like it if I stared at you while you bathed?”

Hakyeon didn’t seem to notice. He stared on at the cat, a smile creeping up his lips.

“Since you like this so much, Ash…” he stood up and began lifting up his top. “We shall shower together from now on.”