Eleven

I Fell In Love With A Cat Demon

“Ohmygod-” Hakyeon jolted awake in surprise as his table shook violently out of nowhere. He looked up immediately, flinching at the sight of the man who’d planted himself on the seat across him.

“Do you intend on chewing a hole out of your straw or something?” It wasn’t really a question.

Hakyeon blinked twice, then his eyebrows shot up. “Hongbin??” He lowered his gaze and put a hand over his chest, letting out a huge breath. “You…scared me.”

From afar, Taekwoon skidded to a halt. “,” he cursed silently. “Abort mission.” He quickly retreated, glancing around anxiously. “What the is this Hongbin dude doing here.”

Hongbin folded his arms and leant forward, motioning to Hakyeon’s cup. “Well, your coffee’s not gonna drink itself, you know.”

Hakyeon’s gaze fell to his drink. If not for that, from the corner of his vision he probably would have noticed a black figure scurry towards a table two rows away from his – the anticlimatic dissolution of Taekwoon’s short burst of courage. Taekwoon then began watching them from afar, a deep frown across his face.

But there was nothing else Hakyeon’s flustered mind could pay attention to even if he tried. The man he liked was staring at him right now from across the table, and he had no idea how things had suddenly come to this stage. He swore he still had the world to himself just a moment ago.

“Uhh,” Hakyeon produced a sheepish grin. “Thanks for the reminder, I guess.” He quickly took a few sips of his drink, silently filtering through a list of a hundred reasons as to why Hongbin could have approached him spontaneously, although most of them made no sense.

“You look really distracted, Hakyeon,” Hongbin began, raising his eyebrows. “If I hadn’t woken you up like that you’d have sat here till the sun set.”

“No he wouldn’t,” Taekwoon rolled his eyes from afar. He sank into his chair and reluctantly flipped his hood back over his head, then folded his arms. “Thanks for ruining my wonderful plan.”

Hakyeon managed an awkward laugh. “Was I…?” He hesitated for a moment. “So anyway, what brings you here?”

Hongbin bit his lip, the smile on his face vanishing instantly. “I actually have something to ask you.”

Hakyeon’s heart sank a little. He knew it. Hongbin wouldn’t initate a conversation with him for no reason.

“This morning,” Hongbin began, letting his voice drop to a whisper. “I saw you let a cat out of your room.”

Taekwoon sat up, craning his neck. “This morning what?” He shuffled his chair a little closer. “Speak louder, dude.”

Hakyeon’s face changed in an instant.

“Uhh…yeah,” he began, shifting his gaze uneasily. “I did.”

“Okay.” Hongbin nodded in response. “You-”

“No. Don’t tell them. Please,” Hakyeon cut in hastily, his tone laced with panic. “I beg of you.”

Hongbin raised his eyebrows. “Tell who?”

“…The administrators.”

Hongbin laughed. “You mean the hostel staff? Don’t worry. I won’t.”

“Really?” Hakyeon wrapped his fingers around his cup anxiously. “You promise??”

“Yeah, okay. Fine…” Hongbin frowned. “You’re really weird, Hakyeon.”

Taekwoon sniggered softly from his seat. “This I agree.”

“What’s so weird about that,” Hakyeon lowered his head. “I really don’t want to lose my lodging rights.”

“Well, you really don’t have to worry,” Hongbin said quietly. “If I really reported you, I wouldn’t be deserving of mine either.”

“Huh?”

“Uhh, nothing.” He quickly shook his head. “So anyway, was that why you’ve been sitting here listlessly the whole time?”

Hakyeon raised his eyebrows. “What do you mean?”

“There was going to be an inspection,” Hongbin replied. “So you let the cat out of your room. But now you’re regretting it. Right?”

“Not exactly,” Hakyeon mumbled. “I don’t know. Maybe I did make the right choice.”

“What.” Taekwoon scowled. “.”

“I had other reasons for releasing my cat,” Hakyeon shrugged. “Initially I took him in because I’d injured him…unintentionally. And then I wanted to take care of him till he was fully recovered.”

“I…see.” Hongbin’s face changed briefly. The plot sounded so familiar, as though he was experiencing déjà vu, but there were some things that he’d rather not reminisce.

Hakyeon sighed and lowered his gaze. “But then he wasn’t exactly the nicest cat.”

Taekwoon snorted. “Say that again, I dare you.”

“In what way?”

“He destroyed not one, but two of my posters.” Hakyeon’s voice was quiet and b with hurt. “They were my most treasured things.”

“Knew it. This was the real reason you didn’t wanna keep me.” Taekwoon crossed his legs and sank further down in his seat. “ that you’re so ing clueless about everything. Your cat ruined his own posters. And if he isn’t even complaining, why are you.”

“Posters…?” Hongbin raised an eyebrow.

Hakyeon nodded. “Of Taekwoon. My favourite singer.” He lowered his gaze and took a small sip of his drink. “They weren’t easy to get.”

“Well, just because of this,” Taekwoon seethed silently, “you let me go prematurely.” He sat up suddenly and pointed to his back, not minding that he probably looked like a nutcase talking to himself. “What about my injury, huh? What if I got a ing infection or something? Have you thought about that? No. You only think about yourself.” He slumped back against the chair sulkily. The action agitated his wound and a bout of pain shot through his back. He grimaced and straightened up quickly, casting Hakyeon a dark look from afar. “You see.”

“Uhh,” Hongbin cocked his head. “You’re talking about Jung Taekwoon, right?”

“Yeah?” Hakyeon sat up excitedly. “You know him?”

Hongbin nodded. “I listen to his songs.”

“You do??” Hakyeon couldn’t tame the large grin on his face. “Then…that day at the laundry room-”

“Yeah,” Hongbin smiled. “The song you were humming, I know it’s from Taekwoon.”

“Ahh. So you knew.” Hakyeon scratched his head. “I was so elated. Thought I finally found someone who could potentially be interested in his works. But didn’t think that you were already listening to his music.”

“Well,” Taekwoon sneered under his breath. “I’m not as unpopular as you think.”

Hongbin chuckled. “Seems like you really like him, don’t you?” He leant forward and peered curiously at Hakyeon. “You even chose to cover his song for the singing finals last month.”

Hakyeon gulped. “S-so you indeed were observant of that…” He felt his ears turn red.

“Yeah.” Hongbin nodded and smiled. “If someone represented your favourite song in a singing competition, it’s not something you’d easily forget.” He contemplated for a moment. “You know, I do have some of his posters hanging in my room, too.”

Hakyeon’s eyebrows shot up. He didn’t expect that Hongbin was as much of a fan as he was.

“So what exactly did the cat destroy?” Hongbin continued. “If I happen to have the same posters I could gift them to you.”

“What.” Taekwoon sat up. “Don’t use me as a ing token of your friendship.”

Hakyeon shook his head quickly. “No no. It’s fine. Those are yours.” He fell silent for a moment, then cocked his head. “Unless you don’t want them anymore?” Every word stung his throat. “You…no longer have any interest in his music?”

Hongbin raised his eyebrows in surprise. “What- no. Don’t worry. That wasn’t what I meant. It’s just that you look like complete right now. If replacing your damaged posters can lift your spirits, I’d be happy to help.” He offered Hakyeon a genuine smile. “As Jung Taekwoon’s fans we’re supposed to support each other, right?”

“Why the are you using me as an excuse to get into his pants,” Taekwoon scowled. He didn’t like what he was hearing. Not any bit of it.

Hakyeon wanted to say something, but he decided to stay silent for now. Hongbin did make sense.

“So which posters did the cat destroy?”

“1st Mini Album and 4th Single,” he replied. “Both in their coloured versions. The main ones that come with the CDs.”

“I see.” Hongbin nodded and pondered for a moment. “I do have one of those,” he began. “The 1st Mini Album. It’s been there for a while now but it’s still quite new. If you don’t mind that it’s secondhand, that is.”

“Wait Hakyeon why the are you agreeing on this.” Taekwoon slapped the table in annoyance, but managed to keep it silent. “If he hadn’t shown up out of nowhere, my appearance could please you a hundred times more than those two shabby posters ever can.”

“Actually,” Hakyeon bit his lip in careful consideration. “It’s okay. You can keep it. I’ll just live with it. I guess.”

Taekwoon sighed and leant back. “Okay. Not as stupid as I thought.”

“You sure about this?” Hongbin prompted. “It really looks as good as new.”

Hakyeon forced a smile. “It’s not about that. I just don’t wanna owe anyone anything for something that my cat did.”

Hongbin eyed Hakyeon cautiously. “So you regret ever taking it home, then?”

“I don’t know.”

“I think I’ll miss my cat. A lot,” Hakyeon continued. “Even if he seems to have an unexplainable hatred for Jung Taekwoon.” He sighed and leant back against the chair. “Just a little disappointed that the two favourite things in my life clash like that.”

“I finally see why you’ve been sitting here dazedly.”

Hakyeon shrugged. “Between making the cat stay with me and wanting my two remaining posters to stay intact, I chose the latter. But I really, really still want Shadow by my side.”

“So that’s what you named it?” Hongbin raised his eyebrow. “Shadow.”

Hakyeon nodded. “He was my adorable black cat.” A huge grin had unknowingly crept up his face. “Before that I used to call him Ash. But either way, he has really dark fur.” He pointed subtly to a man in the distance. “Just like that dude’s hoodie over there.”

“.” Taekwoon’s eyes widened at the sight of Hakyeon’s finger right in his face. He quickly turned to the side to avoid meeting Hakyeon’s gaze. Hongbin had also spun around for a look, and Taekwoon hastily lowered his face into his clothes. “The you all looking at.”

Hongbin laughed. “Yes. It was a black cat that I saw this morning, too.” He promptly shifted his attention back onto Hakyeon. “So you mean he only liked to destroy your posters? And nothing else?”

Hakyeon’s face turned grim. “Yeah,” he nodded. “Don’t know what sort of enmity he has with them.” He lowered his voice. “Maybe Shinjoon was right. He’s some sort of demon. Out to destroy.”

Hongbin’s face changed instantly. “Shinjoon.” He sat up suddenly, eyeing Hakyeon intently. “He…he told you that?” He felt his heart drop.

“Yeah what the , right,” Hakyeon shrugged. “But maybe he’s right. That cat of mine was indeed peculiar. He’s really intelligent. In fact, a little too intelligent. I won’t be surprised if he really was some kind of cat demon.”

Taekwoon cocked his head. “Won’t be surprised, huh. You said that yourself,” he scoffed. “I’ll hold you to that.”

“Hongbin?? Did you hear me?”

Hongbin’s gaze had drifted away from Hakyeon. It had been so long since he had heard the term 'cat demon', his heart was palpitating crazily. Hakyeon noticed that his fingers were clenched so tightly against the table, they were starting to turn white.

“Hongbin? Are you okay?” he urged, waving his fingers right in Hongbin’s face.

“Uhh, yeah.” Hongbin hastily blinked himself back to reality, his pale face slowly regaining its colour. He glanced at Hakyeon. “What were you saying?”

Hakyeon produced a small smirk. “I was saying that even if Shadow was some cat demon,” he shrugged. “I’d probably still love to see him again. I don’t really care.” He rested his elbow on the table and then propped his chin up. “I hope he visits tonight.”

Taekwoon rolled his eyes. “You kicked me out and then expect me to come back? Who do you think you are.” He folded his arms. “I don’t get it. So do you want your idol or your cat? Make up your ing mind.”

“You must be thinking I’m crazy, right,” Hakyeon laughed. “But I’m pretty convinced it’s all true. Shadow is a cat demon. Hahaha.”

Hongbin eyed Hakyeon for a moment, then forced a small smile. “If you think it’s true, then I’ll believe you too.”

“Really?”

“Yes.”

Taekwoon snorted silently. He’d seen better flirting techniques.

Hakyeon sniggered. “I was just kidding, though. But I really do miss my cat. A lot. I miss how I’d wake up to this ball of warmth at my feet. Or how he liked to play with water while we showered.”

Taekwoon shook his head. “Anything but the showering thing, please.”

“Or how he’d always sit by the desk while I studied,” Hakyeon continued. “You know, he was a pretty respectful cat in some ways. Wouldn’t sit on my papers or knock my stationery off the table. He’d just patiently watch while I did my work. Sometimes, I even think he’s trying to read whatever’s written on my worksheets.”

“Well that’s because there was nothing else interesting in your ing room,” Taekwoon spat. “And I got curious about the sort of things you were being taught in uni.”

Hongbin offered Hakyeon a small, acknowledging nod. Shinjoon wasn’t lying to Hakyeon. And he was very well aware of that.

“Just thinking of how I’d no longer be able to enjoy these daily quirks of having a pet,” Hakyeon continued, “I feel really sad. He’s more than a pet to me, Hongbin. He’s the little devil in my room that I can’t live without.” He raised his eyebrows knowingly at Hongbin. “Maybe…maybe I’ve fallen for him. The demon in my room.”

“Fuc-” Taekwoon sat up suddenly, choking on his own saliva. He coughed and spurted violently, trying painstakingly to suppress it in case he was bringing too much attention to himself. “Well.” His mind was screaming and overwhelmed with panic. “You just said that you didn’t believe in that demon bull??”

Hongbin blinked. Did Hakyeon really just say that? He hadn’t intended for the conversation to progress to a stage like this. It was getting too wild. Too quickly. And it’d kickstarted a series of tight contractions in his chest.

“Uhh, haha. I was just kidding,” Hakyeon smiled sheepishly and scratched his head, side-glancing at the weird coughing man six feet away. “I’m not into beastality, you know.” He wanted to add that if there was anyone he’d ever have romantic interest in, it was Hongbin and strictly Hongbin, but decided against embarrassing himself again. In case Wonshik and Jaehwan had new things to about.

“…Hakyeon.” Hongbin’s voice was solemn after a long silence.

“I was just kidding, really,” he sat up. “Falling for your pet? It’s imposs-”

“What if I told you,” Hongbin cut in curtly. “That it is in fact possible.” He stared at Hakyeon with a pair of dark eyes that sent a chill down Hakyeon’s spine.