A Pompous Fool

The Brothers Kim
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Red.

That was the colour that stained the dirt ground as Jimin withstood the burly man’s punches and kicks. Punch after punch, Gyuri watched in horror as the burly man planted his large fists on Jimin’s abdomen, the sound of his pained grunting punctuating the rhythm of the burly man’s blows. With each heavy strike, droplets of red soiled the floor.

There was red everywhere.

Chim Chim! Gyuri squirmed against the beefy man’s hold, her nails digging into his flesh. She didn’t care that the beefy man was tightening his grip around , nor that it was hurting her. All she could focus on was how Jimin needed help. Chim Chim, hang on!

“Stop resisting or I’ll snap your neck!” the beefy man sneered, his foul breath wafting to Gyuri’s nose. “You’ll stay still if you know what’s good for you.” The beefy man shifted the position of his bicep so that it was higher up Gyuri’s neck. She gasped for air. “I don’t want to have to strangle a little lady like you.” He lifted Gyuri’s chin up with his grubby fingers so that her eyes met his. “It’ll be a waste of your pretty face.”

Gyuri spat on him.

The beefy man’s expression darkened as he wiped her saliva away with his free arm. If looks could kill, Gyuri would have been a goner. “You, little lady,” he snarled, “have just asked for a death sentence.” Without warning, he wrapped his other arm around her waist as if he was about to crush her in his embrace. “I don’t care about what the boss says, you’re gonna pay for what you did!”

But before he had the chance to secure his grip, Gyuri quickly knocked her head back with all the force she could muster. An agonised yelp escaped the beefy man’s mouth as Gyuri’s unexpected headbutt collided with his crooked nose.

Here’s my chance!

Gyuri jostled free while her captor was still stunned. But instead of immediately bolting away, she faced her captor, who was covering his bloodied nose.

“You !” he cursed as he inspected his bloodstained hands. “My nose… you broke it!”

Gyuri aimed her mighty kick straight for in between his legs causing the beefy man to howl. “Serves you right!” she shouted before sprinting to Jimin’s rescue.

~*~

Jimin braced himself as one of the burly man’s punches landed straight for his solar plexus. He toppled over, the air in his lungs knocked straight out of him. Saliva mixed with blood escaped his dry mouth as he crashed to the floor. Finally, the burly man’s companion released his arms, allowing Jimin to curl into the foetal position with what little energy he had left. Despite the numerous blows he sustained, he could no longer feel pain. His body had gone numb along with his other senses.

Gyuri… I hope you are safe.

From the ground, Jimin could hardly tell what was happening all around him. Swollen eyes prevented him from seeing clearly while punches directed at the side of his jaw had distorted his hearing. But even though he should be worrying about himself, all he could think about was whether Gyuri was safe and how badly he wanted to see her.

Gyuri… He inclined his head as much as his body would allow. Gyuri… where are you?

“You’re still moving, eh?” The burly man walked over to Jimin, his stocky profile blocking the sunlight. “You’re a persistent one, dog boy.” He crouched down to inspect his handiwork, allowing Jimin to see his bruised knuckles slick with blood. His blood. “How does it feel to be the one grovelling at another’s feet?” he taunted.

Jimin glared at him.

“Now you know what it’s like for us poor folk every day.” The burly man abruptly stood up to address the crowd. “See this?” he declared, “Take this as an example of what we can achieve despite our station.” He continued to shout, “Every day, we, the working class, are mistreated by the nobility. From their extravagant abodes, they look down on us, dismiss us, treat us like we are no better than the insects that crawl on the ground.” He waved his arms to emphasise his disdain. “While the emperor lavishes in abundance, our kinsmen toil the land under the merciless sun. He is not kind, he is not benevolent—he is just a pompous fool.”

The crowd gasped in unison while some protested.

“Anyone who believes in him is too blind to see that he has forsaken his people.” He surveyed the crowd which had grown agitated by his claims. “What has the emperor done to alleviate our suffering?” He turned to face every person present. “Nothing! The emperor doesn’t care about us! None of them do!”

Loud shouts from the crowd contested the burly man’s claim, riling those that agreed with him.

“The world is unkind to us born with no status” the burly man resumed. “To survive we have to force our way to rise.” He glared down at Jimin. “People like him are what stops us from rising. They are the ones that keep us poor while they enjoy all the riches our kingdom has to offer.” The burly man raised his closed fist as he chanted, “Down with the Jade Lotus! Down with the people who protect it!”

The burly man’s companion let out a passionate battle cry which persuaded others to join in. Dissatisfied and resentful of their individual situations, the crowd’s cheer grew stronger as one by one, the onlookers saw the validity behind the burly man’s claims. For while plenty admired and adored their emperor, they had had enough. Many no longer wished to be at the bottom of the social ladder: it was time for them to climb.

The burly man smirked as he listened to the energetic chants of the people. Soon, the market street was teeming with curious bystanders and he preyed on their naivety. Oh, how ignorance is power! He crouched down so that he was towering over Jimin again. “You see, you shouldn’t have become the emperor’s dog.” He grabbed Jimin’s collar, forcing Jimin to face him. “Because once the hunt is over, the hound is boiled for supper.”

Jimin winced as the burly man abruptly released him and he fell to the ground with a thud. With his good eye, he watched the burly man pace over to his fallen sabre. He picked it up. “I made you a promise…” The tip of his sword dragged against the gravel as he walked back to Jimin, a smirk playing on his lips. Once he was nearby, he aimed it at his throat. Jimin gulped. “I promised you that I’ll cut you up well.” He raised his sword and the blade glinted in the sunlight. “And that is a promise I intend to keep…” The burly man swiftly swung his sabre down in full force.

With his life seemingly flashing before him, Jimin shut his eyes as he prepared for the worse. But instead of meeting flesh, the burly man’s sabre clashed against another sword. Jimin heard a familiar voice shout, “Leave him alone!” Immediately, his eyes flew open and a mixture of relief and fear overcame him when he discovered who it was.

“You!” the burly man exclaimed as he scrutinised the woman’s features. “What are you doing free?”

Gyuri furrowed her brows as she gritted out, “I won’t let you harm him any more than this.” Her arms shook against his strong grip as the burly man pushed his sabre against hers.

He cackled when her sword tilted to the side. “Out of my way.” The burly man batted the sword to the side, knocking Gyuri along with it. She tumbled next to Jimin.

“Gyuri…”

At the sound of Jimin’s voice, Gyuri turned to the beaten man and quickly scooted over to him. “Chim Chim…” Her eyes trailed down his bruised and bloodied face. Seeing his injuries up close overwhelmed her with guilt. “Chim Chim… I’m so sorry.”

“You… mad wench” he croaked. “I told you… to stay back.”

“And let you die?” she retorted. “Never.”

But just as Jimin was about to reprimand her, the burly man suddenly let out another cackle. “How pathetic” he sneered. “Are you that weak that a wench must come and rescue you?”

Gyuri raised Jimin’s sword as she positioned herself in front of him. “Stay back!” Her hands trembled as she aimed the sword at the burly man. “Don’t come any closer or I’ll—”

The burly man lazily swung his sabre to the side, battin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter