Your Guardian Angel

The Brothers Kim
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You're bad at this."

Taehyung hmphed as he tossed another flat stone across the lake and frowned when it sank.

Gyuri giggled from beside him. "You're really bad at this" she repeated, and Taehyung pouted. She picked up a smooth pebble from the ground and Taehyung watched as it skipped along the surface of the water with ease after she flung it. It skipped three times.

"How did you do that?"

"It's easy" Gyuri replied, "the key is how you throw it."

Taehyung observed as Gyuri demonstrated again but this time, the stone skipped four times.

Gyuri smirked. "Still got it."

Following her example, Taehyung took a step closer to the edge as he tossed another stone. But as he was doing so, he suddenly lost his balance, causing him to lose his footing too. Taehyung struggled to stay at the safety of the edge as he flapped his arms about. But before gravity could set his body into falling motion, a slender arm hurriedly wrapped around his waist, breaking gravity's momentum.

"Easy" he heard Gyuri say as he felt her body press against his. "What did I tell you about being around water?"

Taehyung gulped as Gyuri's warm breath tickled his ear. "To-to be careful."

"And just earlier you called me stupid for almost falling in" she teased as she unhooked her arm.

Taehyung nervously his lips at the closeness of their bodies. From where he stood, he could hear Gyuri breathing. When he turned to completely face her, his heart jumped. They were close—too close—but that meant he had a perfect view of her eyes; her nose; her lips. They were beckoning for him: tempting him.

"Taehyung?"

Taehyung snapped out of his trance and his eyes darted from her lips to her eyes. "Huh? What?" He took a step back as he tried to calm the erratic beating of his heart.

Calm down, Taehyung! What is wrong with you?

"You okay?" Gyuri questioned as she took a step towards him. "Your face is red."

Taehyung cupped both his cheeks: they were warm. "I-I am fine."

"Kinda think of it," she lifted her hand above her head as if measuring her height against his, "have you grown again?"

Taehyung was taken aback as Gyuri leaned in.

"You have, haven't you? Only a while ago we were about the same height." She hmphed. "Now, you're like a centimetre taller than me!"

Taehyung chuckled as Gyuri pouted. "I guess that is the only thing I can beat you at." He tip-toed to emphasise his height even more. "It will not be long till I will be looking down at you like this."

"No fair!" Gyuri whined. "Stop growing! I'm older than you!"

Taehyung playfully stuck his tongue out. "Age does not matter when it comes to height."

"Well then," Gyuri said while grinning at him wickedly, "I guess I better do this while I still can!" Without warning, she reached up and ruffled his hair with her knuckles.

"Ouch! Gyuri, quit it!" Taehyung complained as he tried to swat her hand away. Once he had succeeded in deflecting her attacks, he grumbled, "You are so annoy—" but soon stopped midway his utterance when he spotted Gyuri's expression.

"You're growing up," she said simply but her eyes were melancholy. "Time really does fly by. Next thing you know, it'll be winter."

"...this place looks a lot like winter."

Taehyung flinched.

Noticing his discomfort, Gyuri queried, "Taehyung? Is something wrong?"

"What... what did you say?" His voice was barely a whisper. He looked up and Gyuri witnessed the confusion in his eyes. "Can you repeat what you just said?"

"Erm, sure. I said 'you're growing up'—"

"No. Not that" he interrupted. "That bit about winter."

Gyuri raised her brow. "I said, 'next thing you know, it'll be winter.'"

With such intensity, Taehyung locked eyes with Gyuri as if he was searching for something important. Eventually, he looked away. "I-I am sorry..." He rubbed his neck as he explained, "I-I had this strange dream last night and what you said about winter reminded me of something she said."

"She?" Gyuri repeated. "You were dreaming about someone?"

Taehyung nodded. "But it is nothing" Taehyung rushed to say. "We should just carry on—"

"We can talk about it."

Taehyung blinked.

"If it's bothering you, you can tell me about it. After all," Gyuri smiled at him kindly, "that's what sisters are for." She gestured for them to sit on the grassy bank that overlooked the lake. Taehyung crossed his legs beside her as he fiddled with the blades of grass. Gyuri spoke, "So, who were you dreaming about?" She had a wily grin as she suggested, "Someone special?"

Oblivious to what Gyuri was hinting at, he murmured, "I-I do not know..." He played with the grass in between his fingers. "I do not know her."

"Then, why do you seem so affected by her?"

Taehyung glanced up before focusing his attention on the grass again. One by one, he started pulling up each blade.

Noticing how his cheeks were flushed, Gyuri ventured to guess, "Did you have... an dream?"

Taehyung's head shot up immediately. "What?" With amusement, Gyuri watched as he processed her utterance. "No! No! I-I was—"

"You know, it's perfectly normal for a boy your age to be having those kinds of fantasies—"

"Gyuri!" Taehyung shouted, his cheeks ablaze. "I was not having that kind of dream!"

"You sure?" Gyuri teased. She lifted her hands up in surrender. "Because I won't judge you if you were—"

"Gyuri!"

With mirth exuding from her eyes, Gyuri laughed heartily at Taehyung's embarrassment.

"Stupid Gyuri" he grumbled as he hurled the fistful of grass at her.

Gyuri tried to stifle her giggles as she brushed the grass off her clothes. "But anyway, tell me more about your dream. Why is it bothering you?"

"I do not wish to tell you any more" Taehyung huffed as he glared at her. "Lest you tease me again."

"I'm sorry" Gyuri cooed while playfully pushing him on the shoulder. "Don't be mad."

From the corner of his eye, Taehyung peeped at Gyuri's direction. She continued to pout at him, her almond-shaped eyes wide and her lips puckered. Even though he wouldn't normally yield, he couldn't help doing so. He could never be mad at Gyuri for too long.

"Fine, I shall tell you."

"Yay!" She c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter