The Emperor's Paradox

The Brothers Kim
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The royal maid had her eyes fixed on the ground as she closed the heavy, carved doors in front of her. She sighed. From the corner of her eye, she could tell it was a beautiful, warm day, but she was reluctant to admire the scenery.

She mustn’t.

Having served in the palace for many years, the old maid had learned that keeping her head down was by far the safest option. It was a vital skill. Like the rest of the Saimese, the old maid believed that the eyes were windows to the soul; they revealed everything. From one glance alone, the eye of the beholder could perceive another’s thoughts, another’s intentions… another’s emotions. And despite the young emperor being magnanimous, she couldn’t risk compromising her invisibility. After all, the less she was noticed the more peaceful her days at the palace would be.

She knew better than to look up. The late emperor had made sure of that.

But despite knowing better, the maid couldn’t help but be overwhelmed by discontent. How long must she remain docile?

Years of being reminded that she must never aspire above her station had convinced her to always play safe; to turn a blind eye to wrongdoing; to never interfere with things beyond her class. If she kept her eyes on the ground nothing could go wrong. She had aged believing that was the case… but what if it didn’t have to be?

While one can enact a lie, the eyes are unable to deceive.

The old maid sighed again as she pulled away from such dangerous thoughts. It was all because of what she had overheard. News had spread like wildfire that a drunkard had incited a riot while dueling with one of the imperial guards. He spoke of profanities, insulted the emperor, but most of all, he spoke of something treacherous.

Revolution.

The maid shuddered.

Even the mere act of thinking about it could cost her life. Despite being uneducated, the maid was aware of her kingdom’s history before the Jade Lotus. Tales from her elders had painted a different Saim— one that was full of instability, deprivation and conflict. While Saim at present suffered from similar affairs, none can deny that the Jade Lotus had restored widespread peace. Decades of warring amongst each other ceased under the rule of a formidable clan. A clan that united and became arbiters of a once ruined realm.

But what would happen should that clan be overthrown by an unlikely enemy?

The old maid shuddered again as she dismissed another dangerous thought. It had almost been a century since the Jade Lotus had unified Saim, leaving the blood of the enemy spilled at their wake. She was fortunate to not have witnessed the carnage her ancestors had and she was keen to keep it that way.

Better to be a flightless bird than to be a bird that can never fly again.

Resuming her routine of admiring the uneven patterns of the floor, the maid slipped into a reverie. She reminded herself that while her status was undignified, she was still affluent in other ways. Yielding to greed was something she mustn’t risk. Only the naïve mistake her station as permanent— never rising in social class; never being more than a royal servant. But the truth was, it was quite the opposite: there was every opportunity to fall. And like every other day for the past decade, she must remain unnoticed to prevent that from happening.

After all, she was no better than furniture in the palace; only worth keeping if it still served a purpose.

The swirls on the ground blurred into one as the maid eagerly shifted her thoughts to something more pressing: the young emperor’s love life— or lack of it.

A while had passed since His Majesty had ascended the throne and still, he had not claimed an empress. Words were not needed to convey the worries that she and the other servants shared. After all, the prospect of an heirless emperor was enough to induce bouts of anxiety on anyone. Should the emperor suddenly pass away, Saim would be vulnerable. Would the neighbouring kingdoms attack? Would there be civil war amongst the clansmen?

The maid was so occupied by morbid thoughts that she failed to notice someone approaching. She blinked when a pair of embroidered shoes suddenly came to view.

These shoes… where have I seen them before?

She looked up.

In a blink of an eye, the maid registered a man wearing a eunuch’s uniform. His brown eyes, while exhibiting a hint of curiosity, were encircled by dark crescents that contrasted with his pale skin. A yellowish bruise bloomed near the corner of his mouth while his other injuries remained hidden underneath his modest clothing. The man stood expectantly before the maid; his posture slightly hunched as if it pained him to stand straight. His face, while expressionless, displayed a haggardness that was a tell-tale sign of his fatigue and discomfort.

It didn’t take the maid long to realise who the man before her really was. She bowed immediately. “Your- your Majesty!”

Jimin peered at the maid, unfazed by her startled reaction. He spoke softly, his voice coming out much croakier than he liked. “Is Her Highness still awake?”

Surprised by his question, the maid stuttered, “Y-yes, Your Majesty. Her Highness was awake when I- when I left.”

There was silence as Jimin glanced at the carved doors behind her. Like the rest of the palace, the doors were decorated elaborately. It served as a reminder of how revered the person residing behind them was.

Her hands clenched as she waited for his command.

“You may leave now.”

Ducking her head even lower, the maid hurriedly scampered away, relieved to be dismissed.

Jimin held back until the maid’s footsteps faded away before facing the door. He took a deep breath. It had been weeks since he had last visited this part of the palace grounds, that he started doubting whether it was a good idea to come at all. Swallowing his fears, he ventured inside. A loud, creaking noise filled the air as light flooded into the dimly lit room and he took a wary step forward.

Almost immediately, a heavy, musky scent attacked Jimin’s nostrils, causing him to scrunch his nose in disdain. With his hand swatting the air around him, he swept his gaze across the large room. He glared at the incense burner in the corner.

What sort of remedy were the royal physicians trying this time?

“Your Highness?” he called out. “Your Highness, are you there?”

Jimin walked a little further until he encountered balls of scrunched up paper littering his path. Like his last visit, he followed the trail until it led him to the woman who was responsible for the mess. He let out a soft sigh when he found her surrounded by her sketches.

“Your Highness…”

Upon hearing his voice, the woman peered over her shoulder. Jimin watched as she studied his face, her kind eyes wavering between recognition and wariness. He held his breath as he waited to see whether it was one of her good days or bad days.

“…Chim?” A smile graced her features, showing the wrinkles in the corners of her eyes.

Relief washed over Jimin. Today is a good day.

“I have not seen you in a while.” She beckoned to the seat opposite her messy desk, where piles of papers occupied the floor, “Please, come sit with me.”

Jimin moved to oblige, but something on the floor caught his eye. He halted at his step as he picked up an uncrumpled sheet, his brows knitting together as he tried to decipher the contents of the page.

Noticing his hesitance, the woman enquired, “Do you know what that picture is of?”

Jimin shook his head. “No,” he admitted. His eyes returned to studying the sheet. There was something about it that seemed surreal. Jimin could tell from what looked like trees and what appeared to be a mountain, that it was a sketch of a place, but he couldn’t be certain. Not when there were strange, geometric shapes sprouting from the ground.

“I thought not,” the woman replied with a sad smile. “No one ever does.”

“Whatever it is, it is beautiful, Your Highness.” Jimin placed the sketch on top of her crowded desk as he took his seat opposite her. He peered at her incomplete sketch and noted that it was a portrait. “You are very talented.”

The woman hummed in reply as she picked up the sheet Jimin had been holding. It was a pla

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter