The Cheeky Brat

The Brothers Kim
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Subin groaned as she was stirred awake by the sound of cattle lowing.

Wait... cattle?

Her eyes fluttered open immediately and she squinted, shielding her eyes with her hands as the bright rays of sunlight glared down at her.

What the...?

Subin pushed herself up, her hands meeting the soft, earthy grass that surrounded her. She blinked a couple of times in disbelief as she took in her surroundings. She was in a field of dry, brown grass with cows grazing nearby. Subin rubbed her eyes, her mind working overtime as she tried to comprehend where she was and what had happened to her. She felt so disorientated.

"Wasn't I in my room just now?" she thought aloud as she continued to survey the field around her. "Dad?" she called out, "Yoongi?"

She stood up and noticed that it wasn't just her surroundings that had changed: her clothes had too. She was no longer wearing her hideous school uniform but instead, she was wearing swathes of dirty rags draped over her body like a giant nightshirt. Dirt caked her nails and her arms and legs were smothered in filth.

What the hell happened to her?

"Dad? Yoongi? Where are you guys?" she called out again. "Come on, this isn't funny," she said, convinced that her brother and father had set her up in some sort of prank.

Subin pursed her lips as she tried to remember what she had been doing last. She distinctly remembered being in her room, reading her grandma's book before tripping over something on the floor and falling backwards.

"Oh, God."

A dreadful feeling overwhelmed Subin as she considered what could have happened to her. "Maybe I hit my head and now I'm hallucinating?" she chuckled nervously as she patted her head just to check she didn't have a concussion. Her dirty hands felt her hair and she immediately noticed that it was very dry-- almost like straw.

This confused her even more.

"I swear I used conditioner last night..." she muttered to herself. But then she shook her head: she had more pressing matters to attend to.

Where the hell am I?

Subin observed her surroundings again and could just about make out the outline of a village or town nearby. If anything, maybe the people there could help her with her curious predicament. Hopefully, she could find someone that would be kind enough to help her get back home.

I swear to God, Yoongi and dad, she internally said to herself. If I find out you guys abandoned me here somehow...

Subin started making her way to the town, all the while pondering over how she managed to get to the field. She was in her room not so long ago and she had wanted to go to Yoongi for help with translating. As she clawed through her memories, she managed to remember seeing a bright light consume her before waking up wherever she was. Subin halted as a sudden thought entered her mind.

A white light? No... it couldn't be.

She glanced around and doubt started gnawing at her sense of rationality. Suddenly, her brother's voice echoed in her mind.

Just make sure you don't end up dying in there.

Subin felt the dread in the pit of her gut rise up as she looked at the blue sky ahead of her. "Damn it" she cursed. "I'm dead, aren't I?"

~*~

Subin trudged along the dirt path glumly. If I really did die, heaven , she kept thinking. As she finally drew near the town, the doubt in Subin's mind grew even more.

In front of her were rows of what looked like traditional Asiatic buildings that had sloping tiled rooves and heavy wooden doors framed by decorative archways. As Subin continued to walk along, she couldn't help being fascinated by the hubbub that lay before her. The people in front of her wore robes of varying colours and textures; some wore silks that had intricately embroidered patterns while the less fortunate, wore simple garments which looked like it was made of scratchy material.

The sound of chickens clucking caught her attention as she looked to her left and saw caged animals, mostly fowls and smaller creatures, being sold. While on her right, she heard the clanging of metal as a blacksmith hammered molten metal against an anvil. But all around her, she heard the overlapping of voices as merchants screamed their voices raw in an attempt to persuade pedestrians to purchase their product.

Amidst the business of the scene before her, Subin blinked numerous times. She couldn't believe what she was seeing: it was like she was suddenly thrown into a historical K-drama. Subin rubbed her eyes and blinked again. Maybe she was in a K-drama. Which one could it be? 'Scarlet Heart Ryeo'? 'Hwarang'? 'Queen Seonduk'?

Subin didn't mind dying as long as heaven was like a K-drama. Who knows, maybe she might find her prince in this weird paradise?

She decided to try her luck with one of the locals. "Excuse me..." she said meekly to a well-groomed gentleman. The man took one look at her and stuck his nose up in the air before continuing to walk away.

"Well, that went well" Subin muttered to herself sarcastically. "I guess even arseholes exist in heaven."

A moment later, another person was passing by and Subin attempted to ask again. This time, the person didn't ignore her. "Excuse me," she began. The young man stopped at his tracks and gazed down at her. "Erm, do you know where I am?"

He looked at her quizzically. "You're in the capital" he replied.

This baffled Subin. "The capital?" She searched for a sign that indicated she was in London but found none. "The capital of what?"

The man shook his head, "You poor confused, young woman." He handed her a crude piece of silver which resembled a coin. "Here, take this and buy yourself something to eat. You must be so hungry that you can't even remember where you are."

Subin accepted the coin and the man walked away tutting, completely dismissing her question.

"Well, at least I have money," she told herself as she studied the coin in her hand. Just as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter