Nine

The Royals
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A buzzing sound which was nearing to a ringing one welcomed Mina as she started to regain consciousness. She realized after some seconds that her ears were ringing and the voices around her were muffled. Moving her head to the side, she let a small whimper out of . She slowly opened her eyes, shutting them once more when she got blinded by the bright lights.

The ringing sound got louder and she grimaced, feeling uncomfortable. Covered by layers of buzzing and ringing sounds was a voice that she recognized – Sia’s.

“Is she really fine? Why is she not waking up?”

“She’s just resting. She’ll wake up any time soon.”

Mina was sure it was Doctor Kim’s voice this time. Her eyes slowly fluttered open after a while. She blinked, trying to adjust her sight because of the light. When she made the slightest sound, the two looked at her at the same time. Sia came running to her side. She tightly grabbed Mina’s hand.

“Hey, are you feeling better? You’ve been unconscious for 6 hours. I was so worried that I ditched two of my classes. Seriously, do you want anything?”

Mina forced a smile on her face as she tried to sit up. Sia helped her sit on the bed. “I’m feeling better,” she replied before glancing at the doctor who was staring at her with a worried expression. Her eyes went back to Sia when she realized that her friend was sobbing. “Hey, why are you crying? I’m alive and kicking.”

Sia removed her sunglasses and quickly brushed her tears away. Mina couldn’t help but fall in awe as she saw Sia’s hazel colored eyes once again. Mina swore she wouldn’t grow tired looking on them.

“I-It’s just that I was really worried,” Sia replied between sobs. The way that she was pouting made Mina chuckle a bit. The latter softly patted Sia’s head. During the whole time that they were talking, Doctor Kim remained silent as if he was practicing the art of becoming invisible. In the middle of the small talk, the door came open after a knock.

Yunho entered the room and the three of them looked at him. He was not wearing a suit this time but a black hoodie paired with dark jeans. His hair softly fell just above his eyes. Yunho looked at Doctor Kim and as if they exchanged codified nods, the doctor patted Sia’s shoulder, gesturing her to follow him outside. Sia stood right away but before she completely got out of the room, she looked at Mina for the last time. Mina smiled at her as if telling her that she’s really fine.

As the doctor pulled the door behind him close, Yunho and Mina were left in silence. “How are you feeling?” he asked with a soft voice, pulling the chair near the bed. He sat on it, eyes still on her.

“I’m feeling better,” she replied shortly.

Yunho examined her expression before a sigh left his lips. He clasped his hands and leaned forward, leaning both elbows on his thighs. “Your body’s reacting to the full awakening of your Alice. Did it happen again? Heechul told me that you were screaming before you passed out. Was it the same thing?”

She was aware that he was talking about the incident during her parents’ funeral. She slowly nodded her head. “It’s the same pain. You said that my Alice is connected with my emotions. I was not angry or at edge at that time so why did it happen again?” She held his soft gaze.

“Your Alice is starting to fully show up. It’s just the start though. I could only think of one reason why you’re experiencing such painful episodes.” He paused, running a hand over his head.  “Your body cannot cope with your Alice. If we’ll continue with your mental training to let your Alice really come out, you’ll need to condition your body first. The last option would be letting you wear a Limiter.”

“A L-Limiter?”

“Just like its name, it limits your Alice to a certain level which your body can take. It can take the form of an earring, a bracelet or a necklace. For those whose lives will be in real danger if they don’t limit their Alices, they’re given Limiter tattoos which will be there for the rest of their lives.”

Mina looked down at her hands which were holding unto the white sheet covering her lap. “Is it a normal thing? I mean…the other students here also went through this, right?”

The expression on his face made her feel uneasy. “It’s a not normal thing, Mina.”

She furrowed her brows, not getting what he meant.

“There is only a group of people who uses Limiters. They’re the half-bloods. They are the children of Alice users with non-Alice users. Your mother was a non-Alice user.”

She caught that one word once again.

“Was?”

Yunho nodded slowly. “After Sir Han Shinwoo died, your mother brought you to the non-Alice world. The rebels were able to track her down after she left you at that orphanage.” She could tell that Yunho was trying to break it to her gently but for her, there’s no need to do that anymore. Any hope left in her heart’s been shattered already.

“So that means…I’m the only one left in my family?” she asked, voice nearly cracking.

“Yes,” he answered softly. “Being the only heir left from the Han family, the Elders decided to bring you in. Mina, you need to understand that you shouldn’t tell anyone that you’re a half-blood. Aside from the Elders, the Council and the Royals, nobody knows who you really are or that your mother’s a non-Alice user.”

Mina’s brows bristled. “W-Why?”

“Half-bloods are frowned upon mostly by the old families who think that non-Alice users are lower than Alice users. That’s the reason why some of the members of the Council did not like the decision of the Elders in bringing you here. Every move that you make is being monitored by the Council and some of them are just waiting for you to crack. But don’t worry, the Elders have your back. They’re the old pioneers from the Main Families. They’re loyal to the Han family.”

Mina’s just lost at the moment, trying to absorb the information that was thrown her way.

“Remember, don’t tell anyone. Alice users tend to see half-bloods as enemies and the moment the students here find out, they’ll jump at you when they have the chance. You see, half-bloods were the ones who started the Rift War and are the ones who make up at least 40% of the Black Organization.”

 

 

The stares of the students were different this time. After what happened to Mina that day, when she started screaming her head off at the lobby, she could feel the cold atmosphere almost everywhere she goes. With her head down, trying to not draw any unwanted attention, she stacked her books and papers neatly before grabbing them all at once.

Just when she was about to open the door, someone ran on her side and beat her to it, bumping her hard in the process. Her books and papers fell on the floor like leaves during autumn. The skinny guy with glasses looked at her and when he realized who she was, he flinched – not because of fear but because of uncertainty.

…freak…Who knows…stay away…

His thought was not clear.

The guy left the room without saying a word. He didn’t even bother apologizing. Mina internally sighed before she started picking her things on the floor. After her first mental training, she was able to read thoughts now and then. Her ability’s still unstable and that’s not a secret but for her, she’s just grateful that she can use her Alice again even if it’s not consistent. At least she’s on the track of proving Baekhyun that she’s worth respecting.

In the middle of organizing her papers, somebody started to help her pick the rest of her things. She lifted her head and came face to face with Xiumin. The hood of his jacket was pulled in front almost covering his eyes. He picked the book that D.O. gave her and he stared at it for some seconds.

They both stood and Mina just stared at him, observing how he let the hood of his jacket fall on his back, revealing his pretty blue hair. His eyes are really pretty. That’s what she thought when she noticed his striking features. It’s not the first time that she saw him but it’s the first that she could see him that close.

Xiumin handed her the book and the pile of papers. When their skins had the slightest contact, she felt his icy cold hand on her warm palm. He stared at her as if reading her expression. As expected, she couldn’t read his mind.

“Be careful,” he suddenly muttered, taking her by surprise. He pocketed his hands. His gaze was still locked on her. “I know it’s a bit late, but I want to welcome you.” He paused, expression not changing. “Welcome to the Royals.”

Mina wanted to pinch her cheek to check if those words were really coming out from his lips but before she could say a word, Xiumin was already opening the door for himself.

“Xiumin,” she called out, turning around.

Holding the knob of the door which was half-opened, Xiumin glanced back at her.

“Thank you.”

For full three seconds, his expression was blank but when a softer expression came to his face, Mina gave him a small smile. The corner of his lips slightly tugged upwards. Even without saying a word as he exited the room, Mina was sure that his smile meant something.

“You trust people so easily.”

D.O.’s voice echoed inside her mind and the smile on her face faded. She shook her head, shooing any negative thought forming in her mind. She quickly got out of the roo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter