Four

The Royals
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For the 10th time, Mina stared at her phone blankly. She’s been trying to contact Yunho for the last 45 minutes but he’s not picking up. She couldn’t explain why she was able to read Baekhyun’s mind when she was not able to read other’s. Han Shinwoo – that name was stamped in her brain. Is that the name of my biological father? She has no one to talk to about what’s bothering her. She’s just wishing that Yunho would show up as soon as possible.

She shut her eyes as Baekhyun’s thoughts echoed inside her mind. His tone sounded so cold, almost in mockery. Deep inside her, she could already tell that there’s more of the story than what she can see at the moment. Deciding to just get back to her dorm room, Mina grabbed her bag and hiked it over her shoulder. She has so many questions but no answer at the moment.

The sun has already set and most of the students have left the buildings. For the whole day, she’s been busy adapting – adjusting with everything that’s happening. It was harder than she expected. For 22 years of her life, she never knew that such community exists. One day, she’s this weird girl with unexplainable ability in the world of non-Alice users then the next day, she’s still this odd girl who can’t use her ability in the world of Alice users.

She could feel her body getting heavier with every step. As she took another step towards the stairs, she stopped. From her peripheral view, she saw something moving at the end of the hallway on her right. With brows knitted, she slowly walked through the hallway. She noticed the big paintings hanged on the wall. They were paintings of people who looked unfamiliar to her. There were names written below each painting.

“Kim Jaehan,” she read with a soft voice as she glanced at the painting of a man who looked like he was in his early 30s. His hair was as black as charcoal and he was wearing a stoic expression. His eyes looked like it could pierce through anything. There was a scar from the corner of his left eye down to his jaw. For some weird reasons, Mina thought he looked like someone. She just couldn’t pin point who.

As she kept on studying the paintings, she stopped on one of them. “Han Shinwoo,” she whispered as her eyes stayed on the painting in front of her. His hair was dark brown and was longer than Kim Jaehan’s. There was a small smile on his face and the corners of his eyes were slightly crinkled. He looked kind. Is he my biological father?

She couldn’t explain it but she could feel the strings of her heart being tugged as if there’s something about that painting. Even without anyone telling her about it, she knew right there and then that he really is her father. She has his eyes – those light brown eyes.

“He was a very great man.”

Mina felt her heart fall in surprise as she snapped to her left. She clutched her chest as she tried to calm herself down. Her eyes were still glued on the guy standing beside her. She did not even notice him walking towards her. “You scared the hell out of me,” she muttered.

Suho met her gaze and his expression changed into an apologetic one when he realized what he’s done. “Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you. I just saw you staring at the painting so I came to check on you.” He flashed Mina his boyish smile which could make any girl blush but at the moment, Mina's just busy making sure that her heart’s beating fine.

She squinted when she realized something – she couldn’t read Suho’s mind. What the hell is happening? I was able to read Baekhyun’s mind but why can’t I do it now? Was it a onetime thing? Was it just a coincidence? Before she could say a thing, Suho’s gaze went back to the painting.

“Sir Han Shinwoo is still one my role models. I think most of the students here have heard stories about him during the Rift War.”

A small smile was pasted on his face as he said those things as if he was reminiscing something really good. With that soft aura, Suho’s not really the kind of King Mina was expecting. Just how strong is he to have that position for 3 consecutive years? With those thoughts in mind, she looked back at the painting.

“You said ‘was’. He was a very great man,” Mina pointed out.

A sigh left Suho’s lips and even without listening to his next words, she knew what it was about. She bit her inner cheek, trying to stop herself from letting her emotions take over her rationality. Just when she thought she could get a proper explanation of what happened in the past – of why she ended up in the non-Alice world – she bumped into a dead end.

“He passed away-” He paused. “-almost 22 years ago. I’ve heard stories of him from my parents and from other people. They said he died fighting for his people – the Alice community. He was a fighter, a legendary one.”

Mina couldn’t even imagine her father being in the battle field. With that kind face, Mina would’ve believed it if Suho said that he was someone who tended the wounded during the bloody fight.

“Do you know that at the age of 16, he was already raiding the mountains with his own squad? At the age of 20, he was named the youngest general. At the age of 25, he made his name known throughout the Alice community for- Are you okay?” Suho looked flustered as he stared at Mina whose tears were flowing from her eyes.

Realizing what’s happening to her, Mina turned around as she started wiping her tears away. This is so embarrassing. Crying in front of a stranger is not something that I should be doing. This is so embar-

She stopped rubbing her eyes when she realized that Suho was handing her a handkerchief – his handkerchief. Hesitating, she slowly reached for it and dabbed it softly on her cheeks and eyes. He could smell his perfume from the piece of cloth. The scent was not too strong and weird enough, she found it attractive.

“Did I say something wrong?” Suho asked, still flustered because of what happened. “I’m sorry if I did.”

Mina shook her head as she slowly turned to look at him. She was sure that her eyes were already red. “You said nothing wrong. It’s just that-” She pursed her lips before slowly glancing at the painting. “-I never had the chance to know him.”

Suho let a small smile creep on his face. “You know, it’s not too late to learn everything about him. There are some records about him and I’d gladly help you get a hold of them if you want to.”

Mina stared at him, asking herself why the King of the Royals would offer his help with such things. Noticing her expression, Suho slightly blushed as he scratched the back of his ear. “Sorry. Did I sound pushy? I must’ve crossed a personal line that you’re trying to protect. Sorry for that.”

For a King, he says sorry too much. “No, not at all,” she found herself replying. “I actually appreciate it.”

Suho’s face got brighter when he smiled. The corners of his eyes were slightly creased. “Sir Han Shinwoo would’ve been so proud of you if he sees you right now. You grew up into this stunning lady. You have his eyes. That’s what I noticed when I first saw you.”

She felt her cheeks slightly burning. Stunning lady?

“I haven’t really introduced myself, have I?” he suddenly asked.

She slowly nodded her head. With a smile, he extended his hand for a shake.

“Nice to finally meet you, Miss Han Mina. My name’s Kim Junmyeon. You can call me Suho.”

 

 

Tapping his index finger on the face of his watch, Yunho let his eyes drift from the man who was seated at the corner to the man seated at the center of the huge oval table. He’s been listening to what they have been saying for the past hour without the urge to in. He knows his position in that meeting and in the hierarchy of the people gathered there.

“The raids have been done countless times but there are still attacks. I don’t think you’re doing your job properly,” Lee Hyejin, the woman sitting two spaces away from Yunho, commented while throwing dagger looks at Song Jinwook, the balding man near the corner. Her voice reminded Yunho of a chalk scratching a blackboard. He winced just by the thought of it.

“We’re doing our jobs properly. I personally created teams with highly skilled people to do the raids. We were able to apprehend countless rebels who were lurking near the barrier while you were busy tending your flowers at home.”<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter