One

The Royals
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

What will you do if you have an ability that other people do not have?

Will you feel superior over them?

Will you boast it?

Will you feel untouchable?

For Han Mina, she always felt odd, weird and left out because of her ability. She can read minds with just a single eye contact. At the age of five, her ability finally showed up. It was scary. For a kid at that age, she couldn’t explain how she could do that. She tried telling her parents about it but they just dismissed it like it was just a joke – that she was just imagining things. She felt lost and frustrated but she never hated them.

She’s cursed – that’s her conclusion. Her ability was a punishment for something that she did. But what could that be? How in the world could one explain what she can do? Why her? Growing up, she felt like she never belonged anywhere except when she’s at home with her parents.

“Mina!”

Stopping on her tracks, she slowly turned around. Jisoo, her groupmate in one of her classes, was running towards her with a pile of books on her hands. “Mina, I’m really sorry but I cannot attend our meeting for our presentation this afternoon. I have to go to the shop. Jimin unnie suddenly called in sick. Sorry.” Jisoo was looking at her with her doe eyes, waiting for her answer.

I hope she says it’s okay. I need to get to my boarding house early to dress up. Dongwoon finally asked me out. This is my chance.

Mina’s expression did not change. “It’s okay. I will just send you what part you’re going to do.” For a second, Jisoo was not able to hide how happy she was. Mina did not bother saying anything else before walking away.

“Thanks Mina! I’ll make sure to do my part!”

Yeah. Sure. Whatever. See? Lying in front of her does not work. With her ability, she had saved herself from entering into relationships with other people who were not honest with her. Although she considered that what she can do is a curse, there is actually advantage in having it. She could easily distinguish the people who she should stay away from.

On the other hand, sometimes she would feel like she’s invading other people’s private space. Sometimes, she would imagine how it would feel to not know what others were thinking. Sometimes, she would imagine how it would feel to be normal.

Snapping from her thoughts, Mina stood in front of her locker. When she opened it, a familiar envelope welcomed her. She quickly looked around, scanning the lobby for anyone who looked suspicious, before staring back at that yellow envelope. With a sigh, she reached for it and slowly opened it.

Mina, you look extra pretty today. I’m actually surprised to see that you’ve dyed your hair back to black. It suits you better. It makes your fair skin stand out even more. You even changed your perfume today. Vanilla. It smells really sweet. It makes me feel like I’m in the clouds when I smell it – when you’re near me. The way you bite your lip when you’re so concentrated takes me to a different dimension. I want to be near you and-

Mina crumpled the paper and threw it back inside her locker. Just who the hell is sending me such letters? She’s been receiving the letters for a month now and she’s been trying to find out who it was. She could feel her skin crawling just at the thought that a sick man with such thoughts is near her. She knows that he’s just lurking around, watching her every move.

She felt sick the whole afternoon that she barely made it out of the room after their group meeting. The whole time, she had her eyes on her notebook – not daring to look at groupmates’ eyes because it would make her even exhausted just by taking in information from their thoughts. She does that most of the time – not looking at others in the eyes. She tries to stay out of people’s business.

Feeling like she just rode a roller coaster, Mina leaned on the sink, shutting her eyes for some seconds before opening them. She rolled her sleeves and started washing her face with cold water. From her peripheral view, she saw a girl coming out from the farthest cubicle. Her face was pale and she looked scared. Deciding to mind her own business, Mina looked at her reflection and started wiping the water off her face. When she accidentally met the girl’s eyes, she halted right away.

I should just die. How will I face my parents if they find out that I’m pregnant? I’m really stupid for trusting him. I should just die. I should just die.

Mina quickly looked away. In such situations, what should she do? What was she supposed to say? It’s not her business in the first place. She had encountered situations like that in the past and she tried helping out but it never worked. Those people thought that she was sticking her nose on something that she had nothing to do with. She tried but her effort was not appreciated.

She has learned to just ignore things like that. If she should worry about anyone, she should worry about herself. There’s someone out there who’s watching her with lewd desires. Grabbing her bag from the side of the sink, she took her leave. As she walked through the hallway, different thoughts came flooding in as she looked at the students loitering around.

I wonder if Professor Jung will make me re-write everything in my report. What a pain in the .

Wearing bra is so uncomfortable. I want to go home already and take a bath.

I should take the taxi. I need to have the best spot in order to get a pretty shot of Lucas.

I ate too much. I need to get to the restroom before this explodes. Oh my god, I can feel it coming out!

Mina broke eye contact from the students. Ah, my head hurts.

Feeling her phone vibrating, she quickly fished it from her pocket. “Hello?” she answered right away. “What? You’re here?” She started running through the hallway and straight to the parking lot. “Wait, I’m at the parking lot. Are you near the gate?” Pausing for a bit, she took a deep breath before she continued running. When she got to the gate, she was already catching her breath. A smile automatically came to her face when she saw her mother waving to her from the passenger’s seat.

“You said you'll come home tomorrow,” Mina said as she walked towards the car. She saw her father smiling at her from the driver’s seat.

“Well, we wanted to surprise you. Surprise!” her mother, Kim Sunhye, cheerfully stated. Her father, Han Hojoon, leaned over to look at her. “Get inside. We have to go somewhere before it totally gets dark,” he said, gesturing for her to get inside the car.

When Mina entered the car, she knew right away that her parents prepared something for her when she saw the box sitting beside her. “What is this?” she asked as picked the box and rested it on her lap. Her parents just smiled at her through the rearview mirror. “Can I open it?” She could not hide how excited she is. When her mother nodded, she quickly tore the packaging apart.

“Oh my god,” she exclaimed when she saw the antique camera that she wanted to buy since she was a freshman. With careful hands, she picked it up and looked at it in awe. Her eyes were literally twinkling. Her parents were just smiling, happy that she’s satisfied with what they bought for her. “Thank you.”

“That’s not the end of the surprise, princess,” Mr. Han informed before looking at his wife. “It’s not everyday that you turn 22.”

“Aww~ You really don’t have to do anything,” Mina commented with a soft voice. Her mother looked at her and reached for her hand for a little squeeze. Mina smiled before leaning over, planting a kiss on her mother’s cheek then on her father’s. “I love you both.”

Her parents chuckled, surprised by her actions. She’s not really the type who says ‘I love you’ that often but she always makes sure to show how thankful she is that she has them. That time, she just felt this weird urge to say those three words.

“Wear your seat belt, princess,” Mr. Han instructed with a smile and she quickly complied. When the car started running, her mother the radio. Mina automatically started bobbing her head when a familiar song filled the car. The whole time that they’ve been driving, the three of them sung in unison with the music from the radio. They’re an energetic bunch.

A smile crept to her face when she saw her parents holding each other’s hand. She held the camera and snapped a picture

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter