Chapter 11

Blended
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jimin didn’t bother to look up from the book he was reading as someone knocked on his bedroom door. When Jin peeked his head in and asked if he could come in, the teenager just angrily turned the page, not even acknowledging his father’s presence. Jin sighed and stepped into the room anyway, closing the door behind him. He sat down on his son’s bed, placing the book he had carried in with him on his lap. “I want you to look at this with me.”

Jimin scoffed. “Don’t you have a date to go on?”

Jin looked at Jimin with a sad expression. “Namjoon’s picking me up in an hour. But right now, I want you to look at this with me.”

The 15-year-old begrudgingly looked up from his book and eyed the item in his lap. “What is that?”

“A scrapbook~” Jin answered simply, opening the cover. Jimin’s eyes softened as he saw the first page which was decorated in hearts and flowers, ‘Seokjin + Solbin’ taking up the center. “Your mother made this for me for our first wedding anniversary.”

Jimin set his book to the side, not even bothering to mark his place, and sat up, moving to sit next to his father to get a better look at the contents of the next page he turned to. “This was the night we met.” Jin pointed to a group picture that showcased a much younger version of him and Jimin’s mother sitting next to each other in the middle of the group. “It was my best friend’s birthday party, and his girlfriend had dragged her along, so she would have someone to talk to other than him. She and I ended up spending the entire time talking to each other though and ignoring everyone else though.”

He turned the page again, this time pictures of him and Solbin sitting on a couch being the main focus with a couple solo shots of them singing into a microphone lined along the edges. “This was our first date. We went on a double date with the same friends from before to a karaoke room. My friend convinced me to choose a rap song at one point.” Even though Jimin tried to remind himself that he was supposed to be mad at his dad, he couldn’t help but laugh slightly at the mental image of his dad attempting to rap. “I was horrible, literally the worst ever. But your mother still laughed and told me it was the best performance she’d seen.”

Jin turned a couple more pages, stopping on a photo strip that was very obviously taken in a photobooth. “This was our fifth date. It was a spring festival that she had been talking about going to nonstop, so I bought tickets to take her. That was where I officially asked her to be my girlfriend.” His finger lightly tapped against the last picture in the strip, the moment captured being of a very frozen Jin with his eyes wide open while Solbin’s lips were lightly pressed against his. “It’s also where she kissed me for the first time.”

“Now I know why Mom always warned me about awkward first kisses.” Jimin teased, reaching up to wipe away the tears that were beginning to slip down his cheeks.

Jin chuckled at Jimin’s comment before turning the page again. He showed Jimin many of the most important moments of his and Solbin’s relationship, including the day he proposed, their wedding day, and moments from their honeymoon. When he finally made it to the last page, he paused a second before saying, “And this is when she told me that we were having a baby together.”

Jimin looked down in slight awe of the blurry ultrasound picture with the caption ‘let’s start a new chapter, Seokjinnie’ written underneath in very familiar handwriting.

“Is that me?” Jimin looked up and noticed for the first time that his dad had been crying for possibly the entire time they’d been looking through the scrapbook.

Jin nodded and took a shaky breath. “I was so happy that day. I had been married to the most beautiful, the most amazing woman for a year, we were getting ready to open up our restaurant, and we were having a baby together. We were starting a family. I remember thinking that it didn’t matter what else happened in life, because I had her and our soon to be family.” Jin looked at his son. “I love your mother more than anything, and I always will. I may be dating again, and I may really like Namjoon, but your mother will always be the greatest love of my life, and no one will replace that, not even him.” By this point, Jimin could no longer even make out his father’s face from all the tears pouring out of his eyes. “And for you to accuse me of forgetting her as if I ever could…that really hurt.”

Now it was Jimin taking a shaky breath. “But…” The teenager used his sleeve to wipe his eyes again. “Today’s her birthday…and you’re going on a date with him.” Jin started to respond, but Jimin wasn’t done. “Last year you went to the cemetery and spent the day with her. Why are you spending it with him?”

“What if I’m spending it with both of them?” Jin asked, shocking Jimin. “I was planning on taking Namjoon to the cemetery to introduce him to her.” Jimin was unable to say anything, not even sure how to respond to this new information. “But you were right.” Jimin continued to stay quiet, still wiping away his own tears. “I should have talked to you and Jungkook about it first. If you’re really not okay with me seeing Namjoon, if it hurts you that much, then I’ll end things with him today.”

Jimin looked at his dad in shock once again. “Really?”

Jin nodded. “You may be almost all grown now, but you’re still my baby. Anything that hurts you hurts me too.”

Jimin stayed quiet, looking down at his lap and playing with his fingers. “Do you really like him?”

Jin nodded even though he knew his son wouldn’t see. “I really do. The last time I felt anything similar to what I feel around him was when I met your mom.”

“And he’s good to you?”

“I wouldn’t be with him if he didn’t.”

“And he makes you happy?”

“The happiest I’ve been since before your mom passed.”

Jimin nodded to himself, taking another shaky breath and looking up at his dad. “Then you should stay with him.”

Jin couldn’t help the slight smile that formed on his face, but he held it back as much as he could. “Are you sure?”

The teenager nodded. “I may be almost all grown now, but you’re still my dad. Anything that makes you happy makes me happy too.” Jin finally let the smile break through, wrapping his arms around his oldest son and squeezing him as tight as he could, Jimin eagerly returning the hug.

“You guys are having a snuggle without me?” Jungkook’s mock enraged voice broke through the moment, and it wasn’t long before the youngest member of the family was climbing on the bed with them and wrapping his arms around the both of them.

^^^

When Jin walked outside the restaurant, Namjoon was on his way up to the door. “Oh, I was gonna come in to meet you.”

Jin just smiled in response, gently kissing his boyfriend in greeting. “I’m just eager to get going.”

Namjoon smiled down at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter