Chapter 5

Ghostwriter

    I begrudgingly walk into the home I’m sharing with BTS after the day’s long events and I heave a tired sigh. I glance back at the young man behind me as he takes off his shoes and I can’t believe everything I heard up until now. Earlier in the day, Jungkook stood up in front of everyone in our morning meeting and informed them that he wanted to work with me on the music.

    “What did you say!?” I shouted that morning with little to no attempt at stopping myself. I stared at him with a dubious look and he gave me a cheeky grin. The rest of the group gave him curious looks, but they shrugged their shoulders.

    “You don’t really do much without good reason,” J-Hope nods his head in agreement, then grins at me, “I guess you’re on babysitting duty, Sakka!” He jokes, but I’m still in complete and utter shock by the situation.

    “B-But you said you couldn’t work on a song because you’re so busy-!” I began to stutter, my mind going at warp speed.

    “Jungkook’s schedule is the less busy than the rest of ours,” Namjoon responds coolly, looking over the schedule sheet he seemed to pull out of thin air, “And with the way you’re writing, it may be better if someone was helping you.” He smiled at me almost as if he’s reassuring me that everything is going to be alright.

    I stare at Jungkook for a long moment before slowly nodding my head; I can’t pass up this opportunity to learn from someone who has experience writing music. Maybe he can explain to me what love is too; he’s an attractive guy, there’s no way he doesn’t know a thing or two about women.

    The rest of the members ended up agreeing to Jungkook helping me with my writing, and then we went about the rest of our workday. I’m still in shock about everything that has happened, but now is not the time to be in shock at these events.

    Now that we are home, I go and change into something more cozy and bring my laptop out with Chi-Chi hot on my trail. She hops up on the couch with me and snuggles into my side as I open up a document and stare at the screen quietly. I can’t take my eyes away from the blank page when suddenly there’s a cup in front of my face. I glance down at the white mug and notice there’s some hot coffee inside; looking up, I finally notice Jungkook standing right behind me.

    “Which song are you starting with?” He asks when I gratefully take the mug. He sits down next to me, putting his rounded glasses on to look at the page. He scrunches his brows and looks at me, “You have nothing?”

    “Well…” I sigh, pulling up each document for all seven songs, “I have little phrases here and there that I add when I think it’ll work.” I push the pink laptop in his direction and he looks over the phrases.

    “These are all cliches,” He states bluntly, moving from one document to another. He stops on Jimin’s Song, staring at it for a long moment before sighing and setting down the laptop, “You’re a writer, you must know a cliche when you see one.”

    “Of course I do,” I whine, crossing my legs in sitting position, “But what else can I put? There’s not a single word that I know about these things!”

    “What?” He smirks at me, “Have you never been touched by a guy?” I flush at him, frowning.

    “What kind of question is that!?” He rolls his eyes,  picking up the laptop, looking at the documents again. He points to one of my phrases in Jin’s song of Enduring, “I like this phrase, ‘Our scars are the stories we’ve faced together.’” He looks at me, nodding his head.

    “My mother always says that,” I say, picking up my mug, sipping the warm drink, “She’s probably the only example I have of some sort of love.”

    “Have you never been in love?” He asks, raising an eyebrow to me. I shake my head, giving a sheepish smile.

    “I’ve always been too busy for a relationship. Focused on school and focused on my dreams… I guess it’s silly, being twenty years old and never having a boyfriend before…”

    “I wouldn’t say it’s silly…” Jungkook shrugs, grabbing his own mug, “An inconvenience, sure, but not sill.” He grins at me jokingly as I smack him hard on the arm.

    “Oi! That’s not funny!” I laugh anyway countering my own statement, “What about you? Any loves in your life?” He shrugs to me once more, his black sweatshirt hoodie covering his face.

    “I’ve had a few relationships, yeah,” He informs me, leaning back in his seat, “I’ve never really had an easy time talking to girls.” He chuckles, looking at me with a smile.

    “It doesn’t seem that way to me. You talk to me all the time,” Chi-Chi crawls into a ball on my lap, probably as nosy as I am about this celebrity’s love life.

    “...Yeah, I don’t really consider you a girl,” As the record screeches in the back of my head, I stare at him with a blank look. He starts cackling and giggling like a small child while he observes my face, “You should see your face right now!” I frown, setting my cup down, and punching his arm as hard as I can.

    “What do you mean you don’t see me as a girl!?” I shout, feeling anger boil inside of me.

    “Ow! You see! This is what I mean! You punch like a guy!” He laughs as I shove him off the couch, “Is this how you treat someone who is trying to help you!?”

    “This is how I treat jackasses how don’t know how to treat me like a freaking lady!” I throw one of the couch pillows at him as he continues to laugh at me. After we fight for a while, he gets on the couch again and starts helping me.

    “We’ll start with self-love, that’ll probably be the easiest one to work with,” He tells me, leaning back on the couch, “Get to writing.”

    “God, you’re so bossy,” I huff, picking up my laptop from the floor, starting to get to work. Self-love, huh…? Taking a deep breath, I plug in my headphones to listen to music and set the mood for myself. Even though I’m focused on what I’m supposed to be working on, I couldn’t stop thinking about what he said.

  He doesn't see me as a girl…? Am I not pretty enough? I dress like a girl, I wear heels, I do my makeup… So, I do a few things that are considered masculine like drink strong alcoholic beverages like whiskey or sake? I feel myself growing depressed by each passing thought and will myself to continue my work.

    After a while, I handed him my laptop and he looks over it before handing it back over to me with a frown, “Do it again,” he tells me, turning back to his cellphone. For the next few hours, this is how we went. I kept getting failure after failure and his mocking just got worse every time I handed him said failure.

    I didn’t notice the others coming home until the shouting and the banging occurred, jumping me out of my daze. I look up to the boys who are holding a take-out box with grins on all of their faces.

    “What’re those looks for?” Jungkook asks, staring at them with a blank face.

    “Our little Jungkook decided to help a girl in a need and we thought he should be rewarded!” Jimin claps his hands together, going to grab the dishes out of the kitchen.

    “She’s not a girl,” Jungkook states, getting up from his sitting position, walking into the kitchen. Hearing that statement, I throw another pillow after him.

    “Stop saying that!” I shout, crossing my arms, “I am too a girl!”

    “Not with that angry look on your face,” He laughs, helping the others set the table. V walks up behind me, looking over my shoulder.

    “Wow! This is coming along great!” He shouts, causing every boy to stop what they were doing and swarm me.

    “Oi! I’m claustrophobic! Move away!” I shout, pushing the fourteen pairs of hands reaching for my laptop, “I will punch all of you!” Chi-Chi starts growling at all the boys as Jin quickly grabs my laptop from my lap and runs to the kitchen table, “Hey! I didn’t give you permission!”

    Everyone flies after Jin to read the song I had just produced and they all ‘ooh’ and ‘awe’ at it, pointing to different phrases. It was Jimin who spoke up first, “Is this my song!?” He cries to me, running over to give me a big bear hug. I gasp at the sheer strength of the boy who was nicknamed Mochi; who calls someone this strong Mochi!? That stuff is squishy, this boy is a ing beast!

    “It’s just a first draft! I’m not even sure I want to keep it!” I gasp for air as the boy picks me up from the couch in excitement.

    “But for a first song, you did a great job!” Jimin praises, setting me down, ruffling my hair, “What a good dog you are!”

    “Now I’m a dog!?” I shout, swatting his hand away.

    “She does have a dog like appearance,” Jungkook laughs, looking back at the laptop. I frown, crossing my arms, “Obviously, you’ll have to write this again, but you’re making progress.”

    “This actually looks like a song,” Suga agrees, nodding his head, “Good work, doggy.”

    “This better not stick, I swear to god,” I huff, crossing my arms.

    “Oh, it’ll stick,” J-Hope laughs, looking over the song, “We could probably start working on the music for this.” Namjoon nods in agreement, handing me back my computer.

    “Congratulations, Miss Ghostwriter,” Jin laughs, patting my head, “Or should I sound Miss Doggy?”

    “I will kick all of your asses!” I shout, swatting away yet another hand. I huff, closing my computer, “You don’t get to see any more songs!”

    “Hey,” Namjoon laughs, “We’re only joking. You’re not a dog.” I pout, walking over to the kitchen table.

    “Totally not a girl though,” Jungkook mumbles causing all the guys to break down in laughter. I lunge for the boy and we get into some form of a punching or swatting match.

    “Children!” Jin shouts, pulling us apart, “There is food on the table! Eat before it gets cold!”

    We stick out tongues out at each other as everyone sits down and begins to eat our meals. We all pass around the boxes of takeout, joking around with each other as we continue to talk about anything and everything. By the end of the meal, however, Suga and Jungkook somehow got into this rock, paper, scissors match to see who would get the single room. Suga was currently staying in the room and Jungkook was getting tired of bunking with me and Namjoon.

    “Shouldn’t I be the one who tries to get the room?” I joke, starting to clean up the plates.

    “Dogs sleep on the couch,” Suga tells me bluntly while Jungkook warms up his hands, “1… 2… 3…” and the short game of rock, paper, scissors ends in…

    “Yes! I won!” Jungkook cheers, fist pumping the air. Suga groans, smacking the table, “Enjoy sleeping with the dog ert and Snore Monster!” He cheers, dancing around the table, cheering all the while. I sigh, shaking my head.

    “I think I’ll sleep on the couch…” I mumble to myself, not really like the sleeping arrangements anyway as I finish cleaning. Jungkook and Suga quickly move their things from each other’s rooms and Jungkook shove me in the direction of his room. The rest of the guys help them out, but when I try to help, they refuse to let me. They shove me out of the room, telling me to clean or take a shower or whatever.

    After I’ve showered and gone through my nightly face cleaning routine, I walk out of the room where seven pairs of eyes are staring at me expectantly. I blink, drying my hair with a towel, staring back at them. They all slowly start grinning, making me feel uncomfortable.

    “What?” I ask them, frowning.

    “You know, you’ll get frown lines if you keep making that face,” Jin jokes, pulling me into the direction of Jungkook’s room.

    “Why are we going in here!?” I whine, struggling the boy’s strong grip.

    “Come on,” he tells me as the rest of the guys file into the room. I blink my eyes, I notice that the room is cut in half. My stuff on one half, with Chi-Chi, sprawled out on the air mattress. On the other side are Jungkook’s new bed and his clothes thrown around the room already making it mess. There’s one big white sheet separating the room.

    “We’re sharing,” Jungkook informs me, laying on his bed, “I figured you deserved your own space.”

    “We’ll get you a new bed too!” Jimin tells me, opening up the closet to show me all of my clothes inside. Split in half by a bar, showing me where Jungkook’s clothes began as well. Namjoon nods his head, picking up the glass ball on the bed stand.

    “We figured that it’ll be easier for you if you can be yourself,” Namjoon informs me, dropping the ball. J-Hope quickly catches it while I punch Namjoon in the arm.

    “Are you crazy!?” I shout, setting my ball down after J-Hope hands it over to me.

    “It’s not like she isn’t already comfortable,” J-Hope laughs, patting his friend’s injured arm.

    “Well, now you can really call this home,” Jin tells me with a grin.

    “...You guys know I have an apartment still, right?” I ask, crossing my arms. V holds up the keys to my apartment.

    “Yeah, we’re sending someone to get your stuff,” Suga tells me as he leans on the wall.

    “We already talked to your landlord too, so now you’re officially living with us!” V cheered, clapping his hands together.

    “We can keep an eye on you and monitor your writing progress,” Suga adds in. I blink, staring at all of them, “We aren’t taking no for answer by the way.”

    “Doggy is a part of the family!” Jungkook pokes my cheek, laughing when I shoot him a glare.

    “Can you guys try to talk to me about these things!?” I huff, “I already live here, you don’t have to treat me like a prisoner!”

    “You’re not a prisoner, you’re our pet,” V jokes causing me to let out a frustrated noise.

    “Everybody get out!” I shout, trying to shove them all out. I can’t help, but feel the tears running down my cheeks. I hear soft coos as they all begin to tease me for crying in front of them, “I hate every single one of you!”

    “Look at her cry! She really is like a small dog that yaps and whines!” Jungkook laughs as I try to kick him in the shin, “Ow! This is what I mean! You have the strength of karate master or something!”

    “Stop treating me like a dog! Start treating me like a freaking lady!” I smile, enjoying all the playful banter. Once everyone had gone to bed and I knew Jungkook was fast asleep, I pulled open my laptop and put in my earbuds once again. Taking a deep breath, I smile as I feel my fingers go about the natural pace of writing. Before I know, it was about three in the morning and I was in need of some sleep. Shutting my laptop, I close my eyes and fell into a happy sleep.

    I just didn’t realize that within the next few weeks, everything was going to take a turn. I never realized how everything was nice before it all flipped over. Before I flipped over and realized I was doing something that may end up hurting these amazing guys.