004

If It Was Written In Our Star
Please log in to read the full chapter

The scorching sun hit him in the eyes when he saw Poppy that day, in her hot yellow summer dress, holding one of the balloons the kids gave her. They had a visit at the orphanage that day, it was a part of the volunteer event LiFE’s magazine held. They sent him and Poppy and other couple of staff from the magazine to write stories about the kids.

Poppy flashed her smile as she approached him. “hey,” she said and continued, “you any good?”

“a couple,” Jungkook replied, took a quick look on the shots he took with his camera.

She nods as she smiled, “the girls here like you,” she glanced at a group of girls sitting on the grass under the tree, all were whispering and smiling at him as he looked at them.

“they’re kids,” Jungkook said, resumed his work.

Jungkook scoots a little bit to the right as he figured Poppy might want to have a seat at the bleacher, which she did. She lets out a huge sigh as she sits, and they both went silent for a while and watched the boys play football before Poppy started to talk.

“I saw you play football with the kids. you’re really great, they liked you,”

“oh yeah,” he answered. “I just saw them playing and one of the team didn’t have enough member, so I joined them,” he paused for a bit before he added, “they’re great at soccer, they know how to strike well,”

“yeah, they are,” she added. “they adorable,”

Jungkook hesitates to say this at first, but after a while battling with himself, he decided he wanted to go with it. “do you do sports?”

“me?” she puts out a sheepish smile at the word sports and hugged her knees before she answered, “no, although I did try a track try-out but… I wasn’t lucky enough,”

Jungkook waits for her to ask him back, which it strikes, like he hits a jackpot. “well, do you?” she asks.

“not so many though, but I did,” he immediately replied, tried not to sound bragging.

“what do you play?”

“mostly, track running,” she smiled at how coincidental it could be, at how likely it crosses path.

But Jungkook wasn’t lying; he did get in the track team. It’s just he didn’t get to say it first before her.

“for how long?” she looked at him.

“two years. And then I stopped once I get in college,” he replied, looked at her back. For the first time, he was brave enough to do it.

“how come?” she confused, and she sounded a little sorry at the end of her voice.

“maybe because,” Jungkook grins as he answered, “I wasn’t lucky enough,”

Poppy chuckled and poke his hand lightly, and Jungkook giggled. It feels nice messing around her sometimes; Jungkook never knew how great it was to friend with girls without having anything bounded to them. Just having fun around and no hard feelings taken, this sometimes makes him feel wrong about girls all this while. He never thought a girl could chill out without thinking about fixing her makeup any second, snort when she laughs and didn’t even bother to keep it down, talk about things in life like a real people and consequences.

Maybe that’s what makes him comfortable around her, and he doesn’t have to worry being around her, or shy even t

Please log in to read the full chapter