002

If It Was Written In Our Star
Please log in to read the full chapter

It was in the early of September when Jungkook doing a freelance job as a photographer and signed a contract for a general release. He thinks it was a great opportunity for him to spend the rest of the summer doing a part time job besides the fact that it will look good on his resume later.

He began his work couple of days shortly, started to take pictures and seize any memorable moment everywhere he encountered in his everyday life. In what he believes, what makes a picture valuable is the story that happens to them; life, romance, the drama, conflicts, the happy ending, the sad ending. Those elements are naturally created in the universe to make a picture, a picture. Not just something that is made, or direct from other people.

Fortunately, his belief makes him good money.

On 15th September, he gets a call from a magazine editor while he was eating pizza and watching Fright Night, asking him if he can do some favor for a photo shoot. Without having any second thought, he agrees to meet him to talk about their business and so a meeting is arranged on the 17th.

“Jungkook, Jeon?” Jungkook looked up as a woman approached him at the table.

“yeah,” he replied hesitantly, not sure where did she get his name. “do I know you?”

“no….. but I do,” she inhaled deeply before she continues, as if she has something that is hardly to tell. “Vincent got into a car accident, and he injured his spinal cord so he can’t walk. He’s hospitalized in NYC’s Professional Healthcare and unfortunately, he can’t be with you for the rest of the business.”

Jungkook swallowed, shocked with the horrible news. They just talked together two days ago, and now he’s hospitalized. He meant, how possible could that be?

“anyway, I’m Poppy. And I come here as his proxy,”

But what makes him shocked even more, is those last seven words she just utter.

Proxy? Which means, he had to work with her all summer. Not that he don’t like her, but he’s not getting used to work with woman, all his life. It feels awkward and he’s not comfortable.

“are you okay?” she asked. “you looked like you don’t like it with me,”

Probably his reaction, he thinks. He really showed it on his face when he was in his deep thought but he didn’t mean to offend her.

“no no,” Jungkook denies. “no I uh- I’m just, I’m just very shocked of the news, about Vincent,” he explained apologetically. “Is he gonna be okay?”

“I don’t know,” she replied weakly, making him felt sorry for asking. “I just pray, the best for him,”

“yeah,” Jungkook nodded, ran out of idea what to do next. But thankfully, she started the next move first which just saved him from doing something clumsy and not cool in front of her.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t- I should focus on our work,” she said and swallowed. “I uh- I looked up to your catalogue last night, and I saw a couple of photos that are really good,” she said, pulling out the catalogue out of her black bag.

“so uh- did Vincent already tell you what kind of picture he wants you to shoot?”

“he did, he did, when we were on the phone. Um, he tells me, it was some sort of documentary thing, but he didn’t explained in detail because he said to me he’ll explained more in person-

“right, right,” she cut him. “well, he was uh- actually working on a new thing; it’s called Happiness. It was a concept, for the magazine to rebuild before it is shut down-

“shut down? What do you mean?” Jungkook confused.

“yeah, LIFE’s magazine were about to shut down and they gave us one last chance to prove that we’re worth published so I uh- I guess our luck depends on you,”

 “I’ll be working on the concept stuff, idea’s progression and you only have to go for the shooting, nothing more than that. We’re going to start tomorrow, and I’ll text you the address for the first photo shoot, so um, I’ll see you tomorrow,” she said in a monotone.

As she walked out of the restaurant, he couldn’t help but to think over about what Poppy had said; ‘I guess our luck depends on you’. He realized it was a big responsibility, and that if he screw this up, then it will be over for her, and also Vincent. LIFE’s magazine will be shut down and they will go unemployed. And seeing her condition just now, the girl had already has enough on her plate. Vincent seems like very important to her and that this tragedy had a lot of impact on her.

Unconsciously, he felt obliged for her.

The next day, he went to the address Poppy texted him last night. It was a place near a beach, somewhere in the South Eastern. It took about 45 minutes to reach there from the city, and Jun

Please log in to read the full chapter