Chapter 3

What a Woman!

Bomi hates her Tuesday and Thursday classes. Partly because of her English professor and her languorous way of teaching, but mostly because she doesn't see Chorong at all during the day. But luckily she's still auditioning for the play so she gets to see her later.

Her day passes by in a blur and she decides to skip lunch because of the simple fact that the butterflies of excitement fluttering in her stomach are too much right now.

She walks into the auditorium and catches sight of Chorong, sitting on the third row from the stage, studying something carefully in her lap.

"Hi," Bomi says disarmingly as she approaches the girl.

Chorong looks up, eyes wide. "Bomi," she says quickly. "I didn't expect anyone to be here."

"Why are you here?" Bomi asks in return as she glides through the second row leaning forward on the back of the seat to be closer to Chorong. "It's lunch. Shouldn't you be in the dining hall or somewhere…not here?"

"I always eat here for lunch," Chorong says softly before glancing back down at her lap. Bomi peers down to look at whatever has the black-haired girl’s attention. "Verses? You're a singer or a poet?"

The question garners the first genuine smile Bomi's ever seen on the older girl's face. "I love to write my own songs," she replies. "And I'm good at it."

"And so modest," Bomi teases.

"Confident but not conceited," Chorong says with a small blush as her eyes shy away from Bomi's own, once again wondering why the girl has so much interest in her. "So you do own a pair of civilian clothes after all," she jokes, looking Bomi up and down.

Bomi stands up and looks down at her black trousers and turquoise blouse. Smoothing out non-existent wrinkles, she looks back up at Chorong. "I guess so," she replies with a quiet, nervous laugh.

The brunette leans back down on her seat almost instantly and Chorong suppresses a gasp at the sudden closeness of brown eyes boring into her own.

"Go out with me, Chorong," she whispers in the space between them.

Chorong stares into Bomi's eyes closely, noticing for the first time the hints of dark with brown. She sighs deeply before replying. "Thank you for the offer, Bomi. But I'm afraid I'll have to decline."

"What? Why?" she demands in return.

Chorong sighs again before leaning back to put space between them. "Because I am uninterested," she says softly. "Look Bomi, I apologize if–"

"Forget it," she spits. "I don't care. I was just doing you a favour so you wouldn't have to sit in here and eat lunch alone like a–"

"A what, Bomi?" Chorong challenges as she stands from her chair. "A loser? Well, pardon me if I don't want to be your charity case. And for the record; I don't eat lunch in here because I lack friends like the loser you must think me as. I eat lunch in here because I lack tolerance for pig headed jerks like you. Leave your immature mentality back in high school, Bomi-sshi," she says as she walks through the row to the main aisle. She turns back to the brunette. "The only losers here are people that don't apply themselves and people who try to create a social hierarchy where none exists."

She gives the brunette a telling glance before storming out of the room, leaving Bomi behind.


 

"Joohyun called," Hayoung informs Bomi as she does a once over in her mirror. "Wanted to know if you wanted to go to the party with her."

Bomi doesn't respond, too focused on applying her eyeliner just right.

"Okay, what the hell is wrong with you?" Hayoung barks from her room. "You've been in a pissy mood for two days and I for one am sick of it. And you aren't going to ruin my night for me, Bomi-ah. Naeun already did that."

Bomi sighs quietly. "What's going with you and Nangi?" she asks just so she doesn't have to talk about her own problems. Even two days later she's still upset about her argument with Chorong and although she doesn't feel up to partying she's willing to do just about anything to take her mind off of the other girl.

", she was trying to get me to talk about feelings today," Hayoung says and Bomi can hear her voice getting closer. "She knows how I feel about her. Why does it have to always be me who speaks up? For once, she could take the first step."

Dabbing the last of her lip gloss on her lips, Bomi does a little twirl in the mirror to make sure everything is just right, smoothing her dress down her body. "Everyone likes to hear those words, Hayoungie. At least that's what I've been told," she grumbles before sitting back on her bed, putting her boots on.

"Well the way I feel is, if she knows how I feel, she could tell me how she feels," she huffs. "Hurry your up because I'm ready to go."

"Maybe she doesn't know how you feel."

"And maybe I don't wanna talk about this anymore," Hayoung growls. "I just wanna get drunk and party."

"Whatever," Bomi replies before grabbing her jacket. "And for the record; if you don't want to talk about your marital problems, don't open your damn mouth."

Hayoung's actually taken aback at the brunette’s tone. Before she can respond Bomi is already out the door.

"This is going to be a long ing night if she thinks she's going to keep talking to me that way," Hayoung grumbles.


 

"y ladies," Taejoon cheers as Bomi and Hayoung walk in. "Beer, vodka, and soju in the kitchen. Pick your poison then come find me if you decide to get crazy."

They simultaneously roll their eyes before handing him their coats.

Not even bothering with pretences, both girls make a beeline for the kitchen. Bomi grabs a bottle of soju before wandering off and Hayoung grabs a whole bottle of vodka that she plans on nursing the entire night.

Bomi walks back into the main room, finding an unoccupied sofa before sitting on it. It doesn't take long for boredom to set in.

Before she knows it her soju is empty and she's walking back into the kitchen looking for something stronger.


 

"And then she had the nerve to yell at me and insinuate that I'm a loser!" Chorong exclaims vehemently. "I mean the nerve of that, that…girl! That rude, obnoxious, abhorrent–"

Eunji and Namjoo sit on Chorong's bed, scrolling through their phones as they tune in and out of the conversation –albeit one sided conversation– periodically.

"All we did was ask her if she wanted to party with us tonight. How did we end up on this topic?" Namjoo whispers to Eunji between scrolling down her phone.

"I don't even remember. I think it started when you said it was a sophomore party."

"Ah, yes," Namjoo agrees, sweeping back her side bang. "Then she just had to tell us about how she met the most rude and inconsiderate sophomore of them all."

"What was her name again?"

"Yoon Bomi. Don't ever forget it, girl, because I don't know who'd kill you more. Chorong or the girl herself."

"Are the two of you even listening?" Chorong huffs, suddenly losing steam as she flops back into the chair at her desk.

"Yeah, of course," Namjoo waves her off. "Bomi…rude…called you a loser…she's a . We got it."

Chorong nods. "She –she just…ugh! And did you know that I have to share a stage with her? And it's not like I could say no because above anything else, I am a professional. Besides, my acting can only improve after this play because having to pretend to love a woman that I absolutely cannot stand is quite the difficult task."

"Are you sure you can't stand her?" Eunji asks with a teasing smirk.

She flushes a little before crossing her arms over her chest. "She's unbearable."

"Uh huh."

"What are you implying?"

"That we all need to go to this party," Namjoo chimes in. "C'mon, Rong, we've been on this subject for a half hour now. Can we please just go party?"

"You two go ahead, I have homework to catch up on." With that she turns back to the homework piled on top of her desk.

"Oh hell no. Did we really come over here to invite her to the party, listen to her rant about some girl that she can't stand for half an hour, only to be kicked out without her even going to the party?"

"You don't have to leave," Chorong says with a shrug. She grins widely before reaching into a nearby drawer. "In fact if you stay you can help me make flashcards for my child development class."

"Yeah, no thanks," Eunji supplies. "So you're not going? Again? Honestly, Chorong sometimes you just come off as a hermit."

Chorong turns from her homework to eye the small girl on her bed speaking to her. "No, I'm not going Eunji."

"I think Eunji-ah’s right though," Namjoo calls from beside the eye smiling girl on the bed. "Come on, you've got to get out sometime. Besides, you've been grumpy for the past few days. Maybe if you get out and shake your a little bit you'll feel better."

She laughs at her friend's antics, Namjoo now bent over shaking her in the air while Eunji smacks it repeatedly. Her giggles quiet down as she responds. "As much as I'd like to do…that, I –I've never been to very many parties so I'm certain that I can't shake my rear that well. I don't even really have one so what would there be to–"

"Chorong," Eunji interrupts, knowing all too well that her rant could go on for forever. "I'll admit that going to a sophomore party lacks class and that I'm silently judging Namjoo in my head for even bringing the party to our attention."

"Whatever," Namjoo scoffs as she leans over towards Chorong's mirror, tweaking her lip gloss.

"However, you need some fun! Come party with us. Your homework will always be there."

Chorong bites her lip in contemplation. It isn't that she doesn't want to go. Okay, that was a big part of it. She's not much of a partier. But even still she'd go just because her friends asked, but after what transpired between her and Bomi she's honestly still in a bad mood.

She drops her head with a sigh and Eunji and Namjoo already know the answer. "Next time," Namjoo says softly as she walks over to Chorong and gives her a hug. Eunji follows suit, "We're serious," she deadpans. "Next time your is out of this room and shaking on a dance floor somewhere."

"Deal," the black-haired girl says with a smile as she watches them out the door.


 

She can tell the alcohol is well in her system as she stumbles slightly back to the couch, cursing the fact that the genes for tolerating alcohol apparently skipped over her because her mother and father can drink like a fish.

"Bomi-ah," a familiar voice calls with affection. Joohyun leans up to place a sloppy kiss to her lips and Bomi can already tell that she isn't the only drunk one in this conversation.

"I've been looking all over for you," she says as she links her hand with Bomi's, weaving through the crowd with the brunette trailing behind.

Namjoo feels someone bump into her and, spinning around, she's about to grab a hand full of dark hair before Eunji stops her. "Easy there, Joo," she coaxes. "Wait, is that Yoon Bomi?"

Bomi barely registers her name being called as she ignores whoever it is, concentrating on the difficult task of putting one foot in front of the other.

Namjoo laughs loudly as Eunji follows suit, having had three shots each and feeling the effects of giggle fits and double vision already. "Y –Yoon Bomi," she howls, head tossed back. "Wouldn't that be funny if that was actually her?"

Eunji nods animatedly, wiping a tear from her eye. "I almost wish Chorong was here. She would have thrown a hissy fit at that poor girl. Whoever she is."

Namjoo takes deep breaths to calm herself before bursting into another fit of giggles. "There are too many brunettes at this school."

Bomi follows Joohuyn up a flight of stairs, too gone to even engage the black-haired girl in conversation. Sniffling from a nearby room catches her attention and before she knows it she's let go of Joohyun hand to follow the cause of the noise.

"Naeunie, I'm sorry, okay?"

Suspecting her friend to be on the phone, she's surprised to peak into the room to see Hayoung curled into Naeun’s lap and Naeun her hair.

"Then stop pushing me away. It hurts.” Naeun says softly, wiping a tear off Hayoung's face before intertwining their fingers. She looks up, surprised to see Bomi there but offering her a soft smile.

Bomi smiles back at her two friends before quietly walking away, having faith that they'll work it out. She continues to follow Joohyun until they reach the end of the hall. "Come on, baby," Joohyun purrs as she pulls Bomi inside and shuts the door.


 

Miss Soonkyu eyes the two girls carefully, choosing her words wisely. "How would the two of you feel about doing a once over of the goodbye kiss today?"

Chorong instantly bristles and Bomi isn't much better. Soonkyu exhales quietly before forging forward. "Okay, maybe that isn't such a good idea. The two of you seem to be a bit…out of it."

"I'm fine," Bomi says gruffly.

"I am more than capable of doing this scene though it isn't one that I would choose to do right now," Chorong replies.

"Alright, whenever you're ready."

Bomi turns to look at Chorong and just as if someone's flipped a switch, all traces of malice are gone from the black-haired girl’s deep eyes. Bomi would find it creepy the way Chorong can turn her hate on and off without an issue, but some part of her actually finds it hot.

"I have an hour left, Minhee," Bomi says, pain evident in her voice as she avoids Chorong's eyes. "I'm not sure when I'll be back."

"You don't have to go," Chorong says forcefully, tapping into the inner psyche of her selfish and petulant character. "Come with me to Busan." She grabs Bomi's jaw gently, the soft skin there before turning Bomi to face her head on. "Just come with me, please," she pleads.

"Please, Taeri," she says brokenly, clutching the front of Bomi's blouse. Bomi's breath picks up slightly at Chorong's sudden close proximity. She wracks her brain trying to find her next line.

Pulling away, she takes a few steps back before turning away from Chorong. "If I come with you then what will I do? What about my life? What about my dreams?" She turns back around to face Chorong with a hopeless expression on her face. "Minhee, you can't be selfish."

"Love is selfish!" Chorong shouts as she quickly closes the distance between them. "It's selfish, it's unkind, but it's real. What we have is real, please don't throw it away."

"Minhee–"

Chorong surges forward, her lips landing firmly against Bomi's own. Bomi's arms immediately wrap around Chorong's waist, if only to ground herself against the unexpected onslaught.

Chorong's lips are soft but unyielding, gently coaxing Bomi into play. Bomi tightens her hold around Chorong before canting her head to the right, sliding her lips effortlessly against Chorong's. She sighs quietly against Chorong's lips when she feels two arms wrap around her neck securely.

A slippery tongue flicks against her lips and Bomi moans quietly before allowing Chorong in, pulling their bodies even closer.

"Okay girls, break it up," Miss Soonkyu calls from behind her desk away from the stage. Chorong pulls back slowly, eyes darker than usual as they flit from Bomi's lips, to her eyes, to Miss Soonkyu as she backs away.

Bomi stands there awkwardly, wondering just what the hell happened. She knows the scene had required a kiss but damn. Her lips tingle and she them quickly before turning to face Miss Soonkyu as well.

Miss Soonkyu looks at them proudly before standing. "I have to say that you guys blow me away with your chemistry each and every time," she gushes. "If I didn't know any better I'd say the two of you were already dating."

They both frown for completely different reasons, but take the compliment as it was intended.

Chorong's the first to hop off stage, grabbing her bag from a row of seats before preparing to leave.

"Practice again tomorrow, ladies. The play goes on at the end of the year and I'd like us to be on top of our game."

Bomi nods as she makes her way to Chorong. "Can you hang back for just a second? I'd really like to talk to you."

"Sure," she replies warily before walking off to a nearby row. She smoothes the back of her skirt before taking a seat.

"I want to apologize for my behavior a few days ago," Bomi says sincerely, sitting beside her. "Chorong-ah, I don't think you're a loser. In fact I think that you're…" she pauses to her lips nervously, eyes finding the floor with interest, "beautiful…and smart and talented."

Chorong's stoic expression softens just a fraction as she soaks in Bomi's words.

"You know what your problem is, Bomi?"

She bites the inside of her cheek to keep in any kind of defensive and scathing remark. "…What's my problem?"

"Your problem is that no one's ever told you no."

"What does that even mean?"

"Everyone, everyone from your parents, to the pack of friends that I'm sure you're the leader of, to every guy or girl or both you've ever dated. No one has ever told you no or turned you down for anything."

Bomi mulls over words, keeping her temper in check at Chorong's assessment, no, judgement of her. "And what if that's true?" she asks. "How is that a bad thing?"

"Because you're simply unbearable!" Chorong exclaims, throwing her hands up. "Do not get me wrong, Bomi. You have impeccable manners which I'm sure come from grade A grooming as a child–"

"I'm not a dog."

"–But you're arrogant. You think the entire world revolves around you. Everyone's life revolves around you and if they ever answer no to you then they'll have hell to pay."

"Hey, wait now that's not true."

"Every time I've ever told you no you have given me nothing but attitude."

"You give me attitude," she fires right back. "Hell, you carry yourself as if the very ground you walk on is sacred and that you're just so untouchable!"

"Well what about you? That day when we first met you asked if I knew you and I said no. I thought you'd have an aneurysm!"

Bomi laughs humorlessly, standing up to put a hand on her hip. "And then I introduced myself, you know, trying to get a dialogue going so that we could know each other better. And you basically said that you regretted meeting me!"

"And then you had the audacity to raise your voice to me and spout out hurtful words just because I told you I didn't want to go on a date with you!" Chorong yells, colour in her cheeks as she stands to meet Bomi head on.

Bomi closes her eyes to calm her ire, unsure if she and Chorong were even having the same conversation, well, argument, anymore.

"Look, how about we both just apologize and start over," she offers a second later.

Chorong nods her consent, if only to have some sort of civility while they work together. She clears . "And just so we don't have to argue yet again about who should be the one to apologize first, allow me." She in a deep breath before meeting the brunette's eyes. "Bomi, I, Park Chorong, formally apologize for my behaviour towards you this past month. It was unacceptable and borderline childish and I can assure you it won't happen again. I am actually quite nice, if only a tad obnoxious at times once you get to know me."

Bomi smiles at the older girl's long winded apology before she offers one of her own. "Chorong, I, Yoon Bomi–okay I can't do this." She shakes her head before stepping closer to Chorong. "I'm not very good with formalities although my mother is perfect at being formal," she says with a roll of her eyes.

"Chorong. I apologize for my behaviour. You're right; I was extremely arrogant for no reason at all and it was uncalled for. It won't happen again. And unlike you I'm not a tad obnoxious, I'm very obnoxious. I hope that doesn't stop you from wanting to be my friend though," she laughs.

"Friend?" Chorong blurts out, chastising herself afterwards for sounding hopeful.

"If you want me to be. Do you want to be?"

"Yeah."

She sticks her hand out. "Friends?"

Chorong smiles despite herself, taking the brunette's hand into her own. "Friends."

Bomi brings Chorong's hand to her chest, clutching it tightly as she steps closer. "So does this mean that you'll go out on a date with me?" she whispers.

"No," Chorong whispers with a large grin on her face.

"You'll say yes one day," Bomi retorts without any trace of malice in her voice.

Chorong just smiles enigmatically at her before retrieving her hand from Bomi's admittedly soft ones. "We'll see."

 

 

 

 


AN: I'm deeply sorry for taking this long to update, I got too carried away with Apink's comeback. My apologies. Hopefully you liked the chapter full of Tom and Jerry, and once again, thank you so much for everything!!