The Last Chapter

What a Woman!

"Alright, cut!"

"You aren't a real director, you know." Namjoo glares at Eunji across the room. Eunji sits atop Chorong's bed, a plate of dried shredded squid in her hand and a scowl on her face. "Don't get all up on me just because your acting was terrible."

"You're hardly a qualified judge of talent."

"Chorong delivered her lines very well."

A proud smile touches Chorong's lips. "Namjoo-ah, I'll have to disagree. I think Eunji has a real knack for judging talent."

She crosses her arms before walking swiftly towards Chorong's bed, back facing Eunji as she sits down and delicately crosses her legs. Eunji slides her plate of food in her direction as a peace offering and she begrudgingly accepts, turning around.

"How many more days until your audition, Chorong?" Eunji asks.

"Five days." Her hands begin to fidget as she walks over to her desk to take a seat. "Thank you both for rehearsing with me." She smiles sheepishly. "I was kind of driving Bomi crazy every time I critiqued her performance when she ran lines with me."

Namjoo's eyes find the floor and Eunji chokes on squid at the brunette's name. "Don't mention it," Eunji croaks.

Chorong eyes them suspiciously. "Is everything alright? You guys were really warming up to Bomi. Did something happen?"

Namjoo' continues to find interest in the colours of Chorong's bedroom walls as Eunji rolls up her sleeve to glance at her watch. Her palm slaps against her cheek. "Well would you look at the time! Namjoo and I are late for a singing lessons. Ready to go, Joo?"

"Very."

The two quickly hop to their feet, Namjoo disposing the paper plate into the garbage bin while they walk to the door.

"Wait just a minute," Chorong calls hotly behind them. "Your lessons are on Saturdays because is the only day the teacher that you two love so much is available. And today is Wednesday." Her arms cross over her chest in victory as her two friends lose steam and come to a stop. "What is going on between the two of you and Bomi? Because if the two of you have built up some sudden animosity toward her then I am going to have to ask that the two of you either bury it or address it with her so that we can all get past it. All of you are important to me and my life and I cannot have you all fighting o –or wishing any form of ill will toward the other—"

"Chorong!" Namjoo yells suddenly. "Please, just…stop."

"We don't hate her," Eunji supplies. "We actually like her more every day. She's fun. I think she's great."

"Then I don't understand." She walks further into the living room where Eunji and Namjoo are. "If you don't hate her then why did you guys act so weirdly when I said her name? And why did you decide you have to leave all of a sudden?"

They both shuffle awkwardly. "We can't tell you."

"It's supposed to be a secret."

Chorong's eyes narrow. "What is the secret?"

Eunji huffs before rolling her eyes. "We can't tell you," she reiterates.

Chorong continues, undeterred. "Well then who told you to keep the secret?"

Eunji glances over to find Namjoo practically hopping from foot to foot with unease. "Don't do it, Joo. You know she said we were supposed to keep it a secret."

"Keep what a secret?" Chorong asks again in irritation.

"We can't tell you!"

"Well, I suggest you do."

Namjoo' hands find her hips. "And if we don't?"

"Then I'll un-invite you to my audition. And I know the two of you want to go to meet my potential future director, Song Hyekyo. Eunji, because you've had a monster crush on her since I showed you one of her head shots."

"She's flawless…" Eunji breathes.

"And Namjoo because I know you've been dying to know what hair care products she uses."

"Her hair is flawless…" she whispers.

Chorong nods. "And you get to see it—touch it even if you just tell me the secret."

Namjoo lightly runs her fingers through her hair, eyeing the strands between her fingers. She bites her lip. "Okay, I'll tell you."

Eunji whirls around to face her. She grabs her arm. "We need privacy." The two trot over to the other side of the room and Chorong waits on pins and needles as the two turn their backs to her. She clasps her hands tightly behind her back in an attempt to hide her anxiety while her two friends deliberate. Finally, after what feels like forever, they walk back over to join her. "Okay, we'll tell you," Eunji says slowly. "But on one condition."

"Name it."

"You cannot under any circumstances tell Bomi we told you."

Her eyes widen. "Bomi?"

"Oh ," Namjoo mutters.

"Well she was going to find out anyway!" Eunji heatedly defends.

"Whatever. Just tell her so I can get my fancy hair shampoo by next week."

"Will someone please just tell me?"

"Easy there, Rong," Eunji soothes, eyeing her warily. "It's just that…well. Bomi needed us to help her with something. Something important."

"Oh for the love of—she's going to propose to you and wanted us to assist with dinner preparations, arrangements for after dinner—"

"What size your finger is," Eunji chimes in.

"Is that –is that why you promised to buy me a 10K golden ring in the mall and then chicken out at the last second because you looked in your purse and 'didn't have enough money'?"

"Yes. I wanted the jeweller to size you so that we could tell Bomi but…"

"But?" she hedges. Really, this whole game was getting really old really fast for her. "But what?"

"You're starting to act like her," Namjoo muses.

She tries to suppress a smile at the thought of her and Bomi spending so much time together that their personalities were starting to rub off on each other. "Sorry."

"Moving on. She recently informed us that there would be no way that she'd be able to pay for an engagement ring. And I told her that she had better try because there's no way in hell Park Chorong would stand for being engaged to someone without there being a ring."

"Y –you said that to her?"

Eunji takes a step back at the crazed look in her eye. "Yes…?"

Namjoo shakes her head sadly. "Wrong move, my friend."

Eunji's eyes flit to Namjoo's before zeroing in on Chorong as she walks toward her. "How could you do that?! Now she'll never propose!"

"I'm sorry! We've all been talking about marriage since we were first years. And Namjoo and you agreed that you two should never have to settle for cheap rings!"

Eunji backs up into a wall, Chorong standing directly in front of her and managing to look intimidating.

"While I agree that I did make that promise, that was years ago. I was young and foolish. A ring does not and should not matter at all. Love is the only thing that matters and I love Bomi. I don't want her to be discouraged simply because she doesn't have the money to put a ring on my finger."

"Well, she is," Namjoo quips.

Her head lowers as she begins to brainstorm. "I need pens and paper," she mutters over and over again. She finally gets her hand on a sheet of paper as Eunji tosses a pen in her direction. She quickly writes down an assorted list, tongue poking out between her lips in concentration.

Eunji's eyes find Namjoo's as the two slowly make their way to Chorong's door.

"I've got it!"

She spins on her heel and power walks around a coffee table to stand directly in front of her two friends. They both fear the crazed look in her eye as she hands them the piece of paper. They read it carefully. "We don't understand, Rong."

"I want you to act like everything is normal. Don't tell Bomi you told me and just for now, go along with any and everything she says. I'll take care of the rest. I'll certainly call the two of you if and when I need assistance."

Both of their mouths open to protest but she quickly snatches the list back and shoves them out of the door before closing it behind them. She slumps against the cool wood before sliding down to the floor, collecting her jumbled thoughts.

The first thought that comes to mind is 'holy !' She mentally chastises herself for the swear before she tries to wrap her mind around an even bigger concept.

Bomi wants to marry her.

It seems like a simple concept, no compound words, it isn't a run on sentence, no dashes or commas that would create necessary pauses for breath; it's just there. But it means so much to Chorong. runs dry and she's pretty sure her heart is beating loudly enough to burst an ear drum but the wide smile that threatens to split her face, the fluttering in the pit of her stomach makes it all worth it.

"Bomi wants to marry me," she whispers reverently. She takes another look at the list and hops from the floor, deciding to get to work.


 

She's been waiting on a phone call of sorts for two weeks now. In her father's words he would 'see what he could do' and Bomi had no choice but to hang on to those words until the threads of the rope snapped and she was dropped back down to reality.

Her head sinks into her hands as thoughts of her future plague her mind. She and Chorong both polish off another year of college while living together. Chorong hopefully balancing a drama career as well as her senior year while Bomi hopefully finishes her summer internship and returns to complete her junior year, thus becoming a senior. Their engagement serving as the icing on a very delicious cake. Bomi her lips, practically tasting how amazing her future can be if everything falls into place.

"And if it doesn't, that's okay too," she whispers to herself. "As long as she's happy and as long as I'm happy."

"It's not good to talk to yourself."

Her heart nearly leaps out of her chest as Hayoung comes into view. "Stop doing that!" she grits out.

Hayoung gives her a look. "Chill." She flashes two tickets in front of Bomi's face. "Look at what I have."

She reaches out to take the tickets. "What are these?"

"Oh, don't play dumb. Those are tickets to Jeju Island. It'll be just like last year."

"I can't…pay for these. Unless I ask my father and with everything that's happened this year I don't think—"

"Once again, chill, Bom. I got this. My parents paid for you."

She smiles apologetically at Hayoung's thoughtfulness. "Thank you. And thank your parents for me, but I can't go. I'm doing the internship, remember?"

"Your father wrote you a recommendation?" she asks dubiously.

"No, but even if I don't get the internship, I still want to stay here with Chorong over the summer."

" whipped," Hayoung mutters under her breath. "Well this blows. I can't just go to Jeju by myself. That's just lame."

Bomi leans back into their living room couch, eyes briefly wandering to the room before finding Hayoung's again. "Have you ever thought about inviting Naeun? You know, your girlfriend?"

"Stop right there." Hayoung's eyes glaze over as she thinks of spending three months with the other blonde in Jeju. "I think this is the best idea you have ever had," she whispers faintly.

Bomi snorts a laugh. "You're welcome."

"Yeah, yeah. Gotta go. I gotta see if Naeun's down with this." The door shuts behind her, leaving Bomi alone in the apartment.

She sighs quietly before grabbing her phone and browsing in the web for a job. As much as she wants to have faith in her father, she doesn't. It came as a painful realisation that the man that she had grown up with and looked up to as someone that would protect her and provide for her would leave her hanging high and dry. Bomi never likes to delve into her pre-adolescent days but she was very much a daddy's girl back then. Whenever she had scratches and bruises or a broken heart because her crush of the week didn't return her sentiments, her father was always there to kiss it better. But this doesn't seem like one of those times.

Her phone starts to ring and she breaks out of her nostalgia to answer it.

"Hey, baby," she says conversationally.

"Bbom-ah. How is your day going?" Chorong chirps through the phone.

She smiles. "Much better now. How is yours?"

"Busy, but wonderful. What are you doing a week from this Saturday?"

She briefly ponders her schedule, mapping out days to figure out what she's doing on which day. "Nothing. Did you have something in mind?"

"Possibly." Bomi can hear the smile in her voice. "Just save that date."

"What do you have planned?"

"Can't I just have a lovely evening with my beautiful girlfriend?"

"You're pushing it." She blushes—as is her habit every time Chorong calls her beautiful.

"Mhm. I need to go Bomi. Don't forget my audition is—"

"The eighteenth. I remember."

"I love you baby."

"Love you too. And you better find the time to see me today, Park Chorong."

They exchange more goodbyes before Bomi finally hangs up. She basks in warmth in her heart a moment longer before scanning the sites for a job again.

Her phone rings one more time and her eyes widen as the name 'Choi Jinho' flashes on the screen.

"Hello." She bites her lip, fearing the worst as Jinho start to talk to her. But something in particular catches her attention. "H –he did?" she whispers softly. "What did it say?" Jinho lists off how her father sang her praises in the recommendation he wrote for her and Bomi feels her eyes prickle painfully with unshed tears. "Yes…that's all true, sir. I'm perfect for this position."

Gently dapping at her eye, she cradles the phone to her ear, dry. "I get the job?" Her jaw drops. "Thank you, thank you, sir. You won't regret it. I'll start whenever you want me to."

They small chat on what will be expected of her and Jinho promises to keep in touch of when he wants her to come in for a few training sessions before ending the call. Bomi doesn't waste any time. Overcome with childish glee for her father that she hasn't felt in a long time, her fingers quickly dial his number, impatiently waiting for him to answer.

His deep voice greets her and her eyes slip shut as a single tear slides down her cheek. "You wrote the recommendation. Thank you." He doesn't respond save for a sharp intake of breath and Bomi quietly hangs up the phone before the conversation has the chance to go sour.


 

Chorong almost wants to say her eyes are deceiving her. The lights, the cast, the directors, the stage hands.

"Next."

She looks back towards Eunji and Namjoo. Eunji gives her two thumbs up as Namjoo winks and blows her a kiss. She smiles nervously before puffing out her chest and walking forward.

"Hello, I'm Park Chorong. I'll be auditioning for the role of—"

"Yes, Chorong. You're the one that Lee Soonkyu referred. I've heard a lot about you. I'm Song Hyekyo." She reaches across the table and extends her hand. It's taken into a firm shake, Chorong maintaining eye contact.

" Our male lead, Yook Sungjae, is already on stage. You can go meet and get acquainted with him and we'll begin in just a few short minutes, okay?"

"Yes, thank you." Her eyes float to the stage to find Sungjae standing and looking down on her. She slowly walks towards him, on stage until their face to face. "You're Park Chorong," is all he says.

"Y-yes." His shocking intensity catches her off guard. "And you're Yook Sungjae. It's a pleasure to meet you."

His nose lifts into the air as he takes two steps back to land on his mark. "I'll let you know after your performance if I can say the same."

Her eyes widen and she casts an anxious expression in Eunji and Namjoo's direction. Eunji narrows her eyes as Namjoo folds her arms tightly across her chest. Their defensive stances are oddly encouraging and Chorong flashes a disarming smile before turning back to Sungjae.

"Yes, well, do try to keep up."

He blanches. "Are you insinuating that I can't?"

"I'm insinuating that it would be unfortunate for us both if you didn't."

He ruffles his hair and smiles roguishly down at her, his voice pitched low. "I like you. Do try to keep in touch if you don't get the part, Chorong-ssi. I'd love to take you out sometime."

"I have a girlfriend," she says confidently. The door to the theatre swings open and her head whips around in time to two blondes walking in. "In fact, she's here right now."

She quickly hops from the stage, smiling broadly as she walks up the aisles toward the door in the back of the theatre. Naeun walks in, Hayoung begrudgingly following behind. Chorong's smile dims, however, as she blinks one, twice, only to realise her eyes aren't deceiving her. Bomi isn't there.

Naeun continues to walk with Hayoung trailing behind and stopping in front of Chorong. "Bomi had to work, Chorong. She sends her apologies and also these." She flashes a bouquet of flowers in front of her that Chorong had been too preoccupied before with Bomi's absence to notice.

Chorong gingerly accepts the flowers, grinning from ear to ear as the sweet aroma assaults her senses. "Namjoo and Eunji are on the third row. You can sit beside them if you want." Hayoung opens to reply but Naeun's already tugging her toward a pair of waving hands in the third row.

She walks back toward the stage, trying not to feel hurt. It isn't Bomi's fault that she couldn't make it and had Chorong not been pushing her towards the job, she wouldn't even have it. She wants Bomi to have the job and the experience and if that means that she has to miss the audition to make it happen then Chorong's willing to let it go.

She meets Sungjae back on stage, already annoyed with the cocky smirk on his lips. "Where's this mystery girlfriend? Did she give you the flowers and dash? Not very supportive of her."

Chorong gently places the flowers off to the side as she walks toward Sungjae. "Not that it's any of your business, but my girlfriend is very supportive, thank you very much."

"Guests can't sit on the front row during an audition," he quips.

She studiously ignores him as the casting director asks her to act her monologue. She confidently belts out a short but powerful monologue. Once she's finished, Sungjae is left wide eyed, Eunji, Namjoo and Naeun clapping, Hayoung offering her a job well done, as the casting director joins in a round of applause.

"That was phenomenal," Sungjae whispers from beside her. "I simply must date you. We can be an unstoppable pair, taking the world of theatre by storm."

Chorong smiles a little. "I have a girlfriend. Thank you for your offer though."

They quickly move into two scenes of heavy dialogue, Chorong ranging from love to anger to despair within mere minutes. Her last scene finds her in Sungjae's arms, a heated stare being exchanged between the two until the director yells cut. Her grip on his forearms slackens as she gently pries herself away. She fixes her slightly dishevelled clothes, ignoring his leering eyes as she peers out into the crowd to see a familiar pair of brown eyes.

Bomi is staring at her intently and Chorong's heart practically leaps out of her chest as she tries to maintain her composure. She smiles brightly at the brunette before hopping off stage.

"Well, Chorong," Hyekyo begins, "I have to say you have some real talent there. A natural."

"I couldn't agree more," Sungjae says calmly, suddenly beside her.

"Unfortunately we have a lot of talented women out there that want the part."

"I want her to have it."

Hyekyo sends a pointed glare in Sungjae's direction before turning to Chorong. "You're talented, great stage presence. And I like you. I can't guarantee the part, but I'll definitely be vying for you, kid. We'll keep in touch."

She nods in understanding, heart in as she walks away and toward her friends. "Hey, wait up."

She turns around to find Sungjae jogging up to her. "I think you deserve the part and I'll do everything in my power to get it for you."

Chorong holds the indelicate snort at bay, the idea of Sungjae doing everything in 'his power' being ludicrous. "Thank you. It was a pleasure working with you Sungjae."

"Same here." He purses his lips as he stares at her. "So I was thinking I'd still like to take you out for coffee."

Chorong opens , a retort on the tip of her tongue and then…her tongue is suddenly in Bomi's mouth. The brunette quickly spins her around and attaches their lips, her arms encircling Chorong's waist and drawing their bodies together tightly. It can only be described as a lover's embrace and Sungjae is caught between a small sense of jealousy and an even bigger sense of arousal.

"Way to stake your claim, Bomi!" Hayoung calls proudly.

A tiny squeak dies in the back of Chorong's throat as Bomi's tongue pistons in and out of , fingers digging into her lower back. She's claiming her. And although Chorong thinks it horribly anti-feminist of her, she's getting weak in the knees, simply giving herself to the brunette as her body falls limp.

"Hi, baby," Bomi whispers against her lips as she pulls back. She sends Sungjae a glare over Chorong's shoulder as the black-haired girl comes to her senses. "Who's your friend?"

"What friend?" Chorong mutters as she slowly pulls back a little so she can think. Her mind clears slightly from her Bomi induced haze as the words register. "Oh, this is Yook Sungjae. If I get the part then I'll be starring opposite him."

"When she gets the part," Sungjae says confidently as he sticks his hand out.

Bomi arches an eyebrow. "That's something we can agree on." She shakes his hand firmly before pulling back. They stare each other down, Chorong twiddling her thumbs awkwardly between them.

"Yes, well, we should get going. I'll see you around, Sungjae." She grabs the brunette's hand tightly. "Let's go," she says quietly, knowing that if she doesn't diffuse the tension soon, Bomi hackles would easily rise.

They all walk down the aisle toward the exit. "Should I be jealous?" Bomi murmurs into her ear. Chorong shivers slightly at the brunette's low tone of voice and the implications of Bomi's jealous side.

She swallows thickly. "While I do find your jealously ironically arousing, it is unnecessary. Sungjae is simply a potential co-worker."

"And what am I?" she asks, borderline cocky.

Chorong smiles sweetly. "You're my beautiful girlfriend."

"Sweet talker," she scoffs.


 

Chorong carefully lights the remaining candle on the table before blowing out the match. She walks past Namjoo and Eunji to dispose of it, her two friends placing two plates and sets of utensils on the table.

"You cooked her steak," Eunji realises with a tilt of her head as the smell of beef hits her nostrils.

"Anything else we can do?" Namjoo asks.

Chorong finishes with the last of the food before turning to face them. "Tell me to calm down," she whispers. "Tell me there's nothing to worry about. That she'll say yes. That we'll get married and that she'll always love me."

"I don't know." Eunji smiles. "You're already crazy and women only get crazier married. You'll drive her mad!"

"You're not helping!"

"Eunji-ah, you remember when I told you you're not good at consoling people?" Namjoo, ever the mediator, calmly chimes in.

"I should shut up?"

"And go stand in a corner."

She huffs quietly, leaving the two alone to go sit in the living room. Chorong looks to Namjoo with a miserable expression.

"You know, the real issue is your confidence, Rong! You've had Bomi wrapped around your finger since day one. Nothing's changed." Chorong smiles at the idea.

"She loves you. She was going to propose to you which means she's pretty much figured out what she wants. There's no reason for her to tell you no."

Chorong wraps Namjoo in a tight hug, silently thanking her. She walks her out into the living and to the door as the three of them exchange goodbyes. "You've got this in the bag, Rong. Or should I say you have a hot, brunette athlete in the bag," Eunji tells her, chuckling at her small blush before leaving.

She takes a deep breath as she leans back against the door, nervously biting her lip. She gives her apartment a once over to make sure everything is in place before walking back to her room to change. She shimmies slowly into a tight black dress—a dress that she wants to go on the record as saying it was so not her choice. Namjoo and Eunji made her sit on a bench outside a store in the mall as they scampered inside to pick out the perfect dress and shoes for her.

Her feet slide easily into a pair of stilettos. She wipes her sweaty palms on her dress, walking towards her mirror. She combs her fingers through her hair to add volume before swiping a thin coat of lip gloss across her lips. A knock at the door startles her and she drops the tube of lip gloss in her surprise. "I –I'll be out in just a minute!"

She rushes to the door, taking a minute to smooth down her hair and dress before opening it. Bomi stands on the other side, hands clasped almost demurely in front of her. Her hair is freshly curled, traveling in waves down her back and shoulders. She has on a summer-like dress that stops just above the knee, wedged heels adorning her feet. "You look gorgeous," Chorong breathes, always in awe that the beautiful woman in front of her is all hers.

"And you," Bomi says as she walks into Chorong's apartment, "are stunning." Chorong's arms quickly wrap around Bomi's waist as the brunette steps into her personal space. Bomi runs her hand tentatively down Chorong's right cheek. "What is this all about?" she whispers, her eyes flitting around the dimly lit apartment. "Are you trying to seduce me?"

Chorong giggles quietly, leaning up to lightly kiss her on the lips. "Can't I just have a lovely evening with my beautiful girlfriend?" she asks, echoing her words from the week prior.

Bomi arches a powerful eyebrow. "You're plotting something."

"I wouldn't be the only one."

"What do you mean?"

Chorong pulls away, tugging Bomi's hand as she ventures toward the kitchen. "I mean that I've prepared a lovely dinner for you and we're going to enjoy it."

Bomi her lips. "I smell meat."

"You smell steak."

They walk into the kitchen and Bomi walks toward the counter, a slab of steak and a stir-fried rice cake set out for her. "Chorong." She turns toward her, pulling her into a tight hug. "Thank you. You didn't have to do that for me. Although I'm glad you did."

Chorong quickly learned that if it was one thing Bomi didn't play with was her food. She took it very seriously.

Bomi leans over the food. "Can I eat now?"

She swats the brunette's hand away, kissing the pout off her face. "I'll fix your plate. You go sit."

She walks away to the table and Chorong smiles secretively as she turns around.

A plate of steak and a rice cake are sat directly in front of Bomi. "Thanks, Rong, really."

She beams down at her girlfriend. "Anything for you, sweetheart."

They eat silently, Bomi immersed in her food. If she had taken a second to actually breathe and look up she would have noticed Chorong's anxious expression. But she didn't. Chorong's getting nervous. She slows her eating to stall the inevitable, suddenly not ready to propose to Bomi.

"Something wrong?"

She snaps out of her thoughts at Bomi's soft voice. "F –fine," she stammers out. She takes a deep breath, leans down to pick up a small box by her chair leg she had put there to hide from Bomi and rises out of her seat, smoothing out her dress where it had ridden up.

Bomi continues to stare, bewildered. "Chorong?" She looks a little lost, a little confused and Chorong smiles nervously as she walks over to the brunette. She smoothes the back of her dress and sits in Bomi's lap, the brunette's arms instinctively circling her waist. "Are you okay?" she asks as if she's talking to a small child.

"No," Chorong admits. She bites her bottom lip. "I'm nervous."

"Why would you be…" she trails off; her eyes had been searching Chorong's entire body for any sign as to what could be wrong. They finally land on the small black box Chorong's grasping tightly in her hands. "Oh…" She swallows thickly. "Is –is that—"

Chorong nods.

Bomi's breathing picks up as her arms unconsciously wrap tighter around Chorong. "And you're—"

She nods again.

"But I was going to—"

"I know," Chorong says softly. They lock eyes, finally. Tears sting Chorong's eyes as she watches the way Bomi's lips tremble, the only indication that she's being affected by their conversation. Chorong leans forward to press their lips together, Bomi's quivering lips parting to accept the slippery invitation of Chorong's tongue.

They pull back, a single tear dripping down Chorong's face and Bomi doesn't move to wipe it away, marvelling at how beautiful she looks.

Chorong looks down at the box in her hand, feeling emboldened by the fact that Bomi knows what's about to happen and isn't pushing her off or running away. She feels silly and a bit ashamed for even thinking so considering it was Bomi that was going to propose in the first place.

She opens the box, retrieving two small bands from inside. They're simple, golden bands without fancy engravings or stones littering them but Bomi gasps in astonishment anyway and Chorong smiles a little before clasping her fingers around both of them tightly, looking back up to meet brown eyes.

"My grandparents dated all throughout high school before college pulled them in different directions," she says slowly. "They snuck out to meet each other one summer night and grandpa gave this to grandma. It's a promise ring. And it may seem silly and we may seem too old now for such things but...I want to give this to you on the basis that I will uphold all of my promises to you today, tomorrow, when we get married and well beyond that."

Bomi's eyes mist over and she attempts to bury her face in Chorong's shoulder to hide it. Chorong smiles a little, kisses the side of Bomi's head and shrugs her shoulder a little. "Hey," she says softly. "Look at me." Bomi pulls back, mouth slightly parted to take in shuddery breaths as Chorong smiles down at her.

"I promised my parents that I will be true to myself as well as true to you. No more secrets. I promised your mother that I would be here for you to love you and protect you from yourself," Bomi laughs a little at that, "for as long as you'll have me. And I promise you, Bomi, I swear to always love you unconditionally."

She leans forward to kiss away Bomi's tears, ignoring her own. Bomi's hands span the length of her back, crushing their bodies together with bruising force. "I love you," she whispers into Chorong's neck.

"And I love you. So much." She opens her hand to place a ring in Bomi's right hand. She grabs her left one, palm down and brings it closer, leaning forward to rest their foreheads against each other.

Chorong's quiet for a moment, listening to Bomi's uneven breathing and occasional hiccupping breaths as if it were a song. She positions the band by Bomi's ring finger before gently sliding it on. "I promise to love you forever," she whispers. Bomi leans forward, kissing her hard before pulling back.

Bomi's hand shakes as she grasps Chorong's softly. She slides the ring onto her finger. "I promise to love you forever," she whispers back just as fiercely before kissing her again. The box drops from Chorong's lap as her arms wrap around Bomi's neck to place them to , heart to heart. They pull back after long minutes, just needing to hold each other. They take one look at each other and giggle quietly.

"We're a mess," Chorong concedes.

"Yeah, well you make me a mess," Bomi grumbles.

Chorong smiles. "I can live with that."

Bomi looks down at the golden band on her finger, a million thoughts and emotions flowing through her. She never thought she'd get married. "Thank you, Chorong. I –I was going to propose to you later on next week. This is crazy."

Chorong fidgets in her lap. "About that..."

Bomi quirks an eyebrow, remembering their conversation a few minutes prior and how Chorong said she knew she was going to propose. "You knew? I could kill Eunji and Namjoo right now. Your friends at keeping a secret."

"Bomi, you know how I feel about murder," Chorong says distractedly. "Besides, it doesn't matter, these are just promise rings for now because I want to get you an even bigger ring. Although," she ducks her head a little to lock eyes with the brunette, "I do want to marry you someday, Bomi. And when that time does come, I'll propose."

"I want to propose," Bomi grumbles.

"But for now I want you to wear this promise ring."

Bomi barely hears her, engrossed in the ring on her finger. "You got these resized?" she asks absentmindedly, not even listening to Chorong's answer. "Your grandfather has great taste."

Chorong blushes a little. "I'm sorry it couldn't be more extravagant but you see when I officially propose—"

"Don't you dare apologise," Bomi says sharply. "I love this and I'll wear it proudly."

Her heart leaps out of her chest. She's practically drunk off her love for Bomi. Just the thought of Bomi wearing the ring she gave her, the very ring being a warning for all women and men to back off.

Mine, she thinks deliriously as she leans forward to kiss Bomi for the hundredth time. "I'm going to be such a good wife!" she gushes when she pulls back.

Bomi rolls her eyes, pinching Chorong in the side. "Only you would compliment yourself and not the person you're marrying."

Chorong looks down at her with a sheepish smile. "Sorry, baby. You're going to be a phenomenal wife. You're already so domestic."

" up." Her telling blush belies her comment.

Chorong doesn't respond and things quiet between them. Bomi grips the back of Chorong's dress harder as Chorong's eyes fall to Bomi's lips. "You're mine now," Bomi says softly.

"Was I not yours the day we bumped into each other?" Chorong asks quietly.

Bomi smirks. "You didn't want to be. But you were."

"I am."

The air between them becomes thick with tension as Bomi's eyes slowly begin to dilate. Chorong her lips as she rises from Bomi's lap. She grabs both of their dishes from the table, swaying her hips as saunters to the kitchen sink. "I hear animals in the wild like to claim their mates."

Bomi stands from her seat. "You calling me an animal, Park Chorong?"

A small smile touches her lips as she bypasses the brunette, walking toward her bedroom. "I'm calling myself your mate." She walks into her bedroom and Bomi is hot on her heels, fingers already tugging at the zipper of her dress.


 

"I'd like to make a toast!"

Bomi groans. "The last time she made a toast she was drunk off her ."

"Quiet," Hayoung growls. "This toast is also your wedding gift."

Aghast, Chorong leans forward from her position beside Bomi on the sofa. "Bomi and I are not getting married for at least another two years, Hayoung. That should be plenty of time for you to scrape money together to get us a decent—"

"Chorong," she bites out.

"Let it go, babe," Bomi whispers in her ear, rubbing her back in gentle circles, knowing that if those two started arguing no one else would get a word in the whole night.

"Anyway," Hayoung continues with a smile. "A toast to Bomi and Chorong! I don't even know who wrestled who into submission with the two of you."

"I bet Chorong got Bomi to submit."

Hayoung winks in Naeun's direction. "I bet you're right." She looks over to Bomi. "You two seem like a match made in weird hell but you somehow made it work. Oh and, Chorong?"

Chorong looks over at Hayoung's grave expression. "My threat still stands. That's my best friend and whether you're her girlfriend or her wife I'll kick your if you hurt her."

"Hayoung," Bomi warns but Chorong grips her arm with a disarming smile.

"I wouldn't have it any other way, Hayoung."

"Hold on one damn minute!" Namjoo chimes in. "The same goes for Bomi. She better not harm my Chorong." Eunji nods.

"I'd never," Bomi says determinedly as her piercing gaze levels on Namjoo and Eunji.

Hayoung nods. "Good. Now that everyone's been properly threatened, I give my blessing. I look forward to attending your hot damn mess of a wedding!"

Everyone brings their glass of wine to their lips after their toast except Chorong. "It will be a perfectly organised, well thought out and executed wedding with—"

"We'll probably have to be on a budget, baby," Bomi tells her as she leans over to place a placating kiss to Chorong's cheek.

"No Rain?" she asks with a pout.

"Nonsense, I can make it work!" Eunji flits to the front of the room. "If someone knows about money management, that's Namjoo and I."

"And there'll be money to spare." Namjoo supplies.

Bomi grabs her glass and a nearby spoon to bang the two together. "I'd like to make a toast too." She stands up to head to the front of the room while she has everyone's attention. "As of this morning, Chorong is the new lead in The Train to Seo-An."

Chorong smiles broadly as everyone around the room congratulates her. Things quiet down and Bomi continues. "I would wish you luck on all of your shows but you don't need it. So instead, I'm going to wish Sungjae luck because if he comes on to you one more time I'm going to kick his ."

Hayoung rolls her eyes. "Correction. She's going to mope around and come whining to me about it and I'm going to kick his ."

Bomi turns back to Chorong. "And lastly, at the expense of sounding mushy; I love you."

Chorong can barely contain herself as Bomi walks back to sit beside her. She flings herself into the brunette's arms, peppering her face with kisses. "I love you."

Naeun smiles, eyes shining at all the talk about love and weddings going on. She leans over to wrap Hayoung in a hug. "I can't wait 'til we get married Hayoung."

Hayoung pats her back gently. "Someday, Naeun-ah."

She gasps, pulling back to look her in the eye. "Did you just propose?"

Hayoung looks back, wide eyed. "Uh, babe, I was just saying—"

"Sounded like a proposal to me," Bomi replies with a smirk. "What do you think, Rong?"

"Though it lacked grace I also believe it was a proposal."

Hayoung looks around, from Bomi to Chorong, Eunji to Namjoo, then back to Naeun, a telling blush colouring her cheeks. Naeun squeals and pulls Hayoung closer before crawling in her lap. "I love you."

"Love you too, Naeunnie."

They engage in a kiss that's far from innocent and—not to be outdone—Bomi grabs Chorong by the waist and drags her unofficial but really, really official fiancée into her lap for a languid kiss that makes the two remaining occupants in the room blush and look away.

"We should just—"

"Yeah, the exit is this way," Namjoo rushes out as the two leave.

Bomi is off the couch, running to her room with Chorong in tow, pinning her against the door once it closes. "My fiancée," she breathes against Chorong's neck.

Chorong smiles, yanking Bomi by her hair to bring them back to face. "My fiancée."

They both flinch when the very distinct sound of a lamp is heard crashing down to the floor and shattering in the living room, followed by a loud moan.

Chorong blushes. "Should we...?"

"Your apartment," Bomi agrees as she grabs a light jacket.

She clasps her hand in Chorong's, smiling as the ring on her finger catches the sunlight from her window and glitters brilliantly.

 

 

 

 

 


It's done! I want to apologise for the time I took to finish this story and for making you wait for so long. I want to thank you all, from the bottom of my heart, for giving this story a chance despite its flaws. I always felt overly self-conscious about this story and was not satisfied with it until now, and I couldn't have made it this far into this piece if it weren't for you guys, that never stopped to gift me with comments, feedback and encouragement. Thank you so, so, so much.

Hopefully this fluffy ending can be of your liking. And please remind me to never ever write a plot that revolves around high school/college/university again, I simply at those themes and even more if I make it into a long-chaptered story. I must stay away from those topics, it is just not for me lmao.

Thank you so much for the support, you are the best fandom and I hope God bless you all.

Thank you very, very, very much :’)